My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Galway Docks

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #161
Quote by TAYLOR.

It seems to be all forgotten

You are so very much wrong :) there is a lot going on in the background. I do agree though that we need to keep this topic prevalent.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #162
Glad to hear that, just came out of town, saw 2 mh sitting in traffic heading in, one was dl reg one ni reg, wonder where they are going to park. :'(

chalkey

Subject:

galway docks

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #163
The only way to get satisfaction with this and other parking issues would be to let the local authorities know that we as tax payers and law abiding people have rights. A mass gathering of Motorhomers from across Ireland should orgainise and decend upon Citys such as Galway, Waterford, and other non Motorhome friendly citys. I am sure that after a few hours of gridlock we would get the exposeure that we deserve. After all if only one tenth of the motorhome owners in Ireland attened that would be 1000 vans at one time in the dedicated area. I am So frustrated that i am being so restricted with my chosen hobby. I honestly belive that we should become more like French People and demonstrate.

Regards,

Chalkey

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #164
Quote by Ally

Quote by TAYLOR.

It seems to be all forgotten

You are so very much wrong :) there is a lot going on in the background. I do agree though that we need to keep this topic prevalent.

Absolutely Ally this should not go onto the back burner and if possible an update on general progress should be posted to keep us in the loop. That way we will know that things are happening and topic will remain high on agenda.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #165
Personally I think you could upset residents and councils alike if motorhomes were to arrive en masse in any town.
This type of action could have an adverse effect.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #166
Quote by mark

Personally I think you could upset residents and councils alike if motorhomes were to arrive en masse in any town.
This type of action could have an adverse effect.

I don't know if I agree with you, Mark! I personally wouldn't mind upsetting some of those councils, they are certainly upsetting me. I don't think if a number of Motorhomes driving around a city looking for a parking space is illegal, surely after paying our road tax we are entitle to park in a city. We are complaining here on a Motorhome Forum where no one other than Motorhomers know our plight. I kind of agree with Chalkie, we need to do something other than sending emails. I suppose we should give the Motorhome Association a chance!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #167
I understand your thoughts Pat however just imagine the comments from locals after all the motorhomes leave.

"Thank goodness those motorhomes have gone, I hope we never see them again"
"What a pain in the ass, shouldn't be allowed on the road"
"Regular customers couldn't get to my shop, I hope the motorhomes never come back"

It unlikely the reaction would be

"What a pity those Motorhomes have nowhere to stay around here"
"Imagine if they were all shopping in my shop"

I think the idea of the cards Ally produced is more effective.

Spend in a shop and hand the card to be passed on to the owner.
The card tells them if their town provided Motorhome parking they would have more customers like that.

I just can't see the Benefits from blocking a town. It could have adverse effects on work going on behind the scenes.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #168
I have just emailed the good councillors who originally responded to my correspondence and asked them to update me on the council meeting in early November. I await their response.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #169
Quote by mark

I understand your thoughts Pat however just imagine the comments from locals after all the motorhomes leave.

"Thank goodness those motorhomes have gone, I hope we never see them again"
"What a pain in the ass, shouldn't be allowed on the road"
"Regular customers couldn't get to my shop, I hope the motorhomes never come back"

It unlikely the reaction would be

"What a pity those Motorhomes have nowhere to stay around here"
"Imagine if they were all shopping in my shop"

I think the idea of the cards Ally produced is more effective.

Spend in a shop and hand the card to be passed on to the owner.
The card tells them if their town provided Motorhome parking they would have more customers like that.

I just can't see the Benefits from blocking a town. It could have adverse effects on work going on behind the scenes.

I know where you are coming from, Mark and I don't agree with us making a nuance of ourselves but we have been giving out the cards, sending the emails, lobbying the politicians and we are still loosing parking spots and as having already been said , the less places we have to stay will result in bigger numbers on the few that are left so creating more mayhem.

I just feel we should do something more than sending emails. Did anyone from the site make any public complaint regarding the Galway Docks Issue? Colm McCarthy from the Phoenix Club was the only one I heard giving any debate on the Radio.

chalkey

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #170
I see and understand both sides of this discussion, but there are so many options open to demonstrate, a proactive method would be for a large number of motorhomes to decend on Galway and park up at a camp site or similar, and then all go into the town and spend some money and while doing so let the local businesses know about our plight. As i have said we are such a large community that we could make our case known and highligt the benefits of our custom as is the case all over most of continental Europe. I am quite confident if such a demonstration was managed and co-ordinated that a very positive outcome could be acheived. To do this press, Radio, and other media could be informed of our intentions.

Regards,

Chalkey

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #171
Quote by chalkey

I see and understand both sides of this discussion, but there are so many options open to demonstrate, a proactive method would be for a large number of motorhomes to decend on Galway and park up at a camp site or similar, and then all go into the town and spend some money and while doing so let the local businesses know about our plight. As i have said we are such a large community that we could make our case known and highligt the benefits of our custom as is the case all over most of continental Europe. I am quite confident if such a demonstration was managed and co-ordinated that a very positive outcome could be acheived. To do this press, Radio, and other media could be informed of our intentions.

Regards,

Chalkey

Great idea and one I would support.

chalkey

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #172
Ally,

If the motorhome owners in Ireland were to have success with an orgainised demonstration I think that a head count of the people who feel stronly enough about this issue should be taken once this is established the demonstration could be planned.

My name and that of my Family could most certainly be included. This issue is after all a family issue as we all enjoy the use of the motorhome.

Regards,

Chalkey.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #173
Quote by Ally

Quote by chalkey

Regards, :up:

Chalkey

Great idea and one I would support.

You also have my support :up:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #174
Yip count us in too :up:

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #175
Quote by chalkey

Ally,

If the motorhome owners in Ireland were to have success with an orgainised demonstration I think that a head count of the people who feel stronly enough about this issue should be taken once this is established the demonstration could be planned.

My name and that of my Family could most certainly be included. This issue is after all a family issue as we all enjoy the use of the motorhome.

Regards,

Chalkey.

I would tend to agree with Chalkey, so count us in.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #176
Wi too would support it and would do my utmost to be present. Having said that, I've committed myself to a few trips to France in March - May for one week periods that I could not get out of, otherwise I would do my utmost to be free and support any such action.

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #177
Will support if available on the day. Count us in..

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #178
Also would support if available on the day

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2014  ·  #179
Quote by chalkey

Ally,

Agreed, but I think we should refrain from calling it a demonstration. This conversation also needs to carry on in the subscribed only members forums.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

Galway Docks

· 
Posted: 29.11.2014  ·  #180
sent letter to Galway co co & Tourism Ireland
This is a retrograde step

donnkim
Subject:

Just Joined from the UK

· 
Posted: 12.12.2014  ·  #181
I have read all posts on this topic with interest.
My Mother was from Galway and we spent many a wonderful holiday in the Claddagh.
I haven't been over for 7 years so instead of France next year, we are intending to spend 4 - 5 weeks touring but staying in Galway for at least a week.
When we have visited France we have a budget of over £2000.
Will the powers that be ever understand that this money not coming into their community.
You are not alone - we have the same problems in England
Don

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2014  ·  #182
Quote by donnkim

I have read all posts on this topic with interest.
My Mother was from Galway and we spent many a wonderful holiday in the Claddagh.
I haven't been over for 7 years so instead of France next year, we are intending to spend 4 - 5 weeks touring but staying in Galway for at least a week.
When we have visited France we have a budget of over £2000.
Will the powers that be ever understand that this money not coming into their community.
You are not alone - we have the same problems in England
Don

Welcome Don.
Why don't you e mail the galway city council,and let them know your feelings about the closure of the MH parking area at the docks. If you are coming to galway city in the summer you will probably have to park up in the campsites which i believe are about 35e pn.Your 2000£ wont go far at that rate. 🇧🇭 🇧🇭

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2014  ·  #183
Or tell them where you are staying outside of Galway County. Put manners on the Neanderthals

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2014  ·  #184
Why are sept minutes the most recent on site. Public employees should provide what they are being paid for. What happened folks.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2014  ·  #185
Have sent a request for recent minutes.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2014  ·  #186
http://www.galwaycity.ie/council-meetings/

Councillor Pearce Flannery is continuing to fight for motorhome parking to be in place for St Patricks Day.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2014  ·  #187
It's desperate in the light of the amount of money we are contributing to the local economy that we have to fight to stop over night in a city or a particular place. All our councillers need to be sent to France or Germany to see how motorhomes are catered for. That's why I like going to France and we always as we do here purchase what we need in the area we are staying.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.01.2015  ·  #188
Please see attached the reply from Galway city council following the referral of the motion to the director. Unfortunately it would appear we have no choice now but to go through the CPC route which in all likelihood will take up to two years. I intend to relentlessly continue the fight for the provision of these facilities.

Otherwise we need to get support from the other councillors and at present this is not apparently forthcoming.

I would appreciate it if you could forward this reply to Colin McCarthy and other concerned members of the motorhome community as I do not have their contact details.

I will keep you posted as developments arise.

Kind regards,

Pearce Flannery
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #189
Just been told that on the Kieth Figgiann show on Galway Bay Fm this morn that the docks was open again for campervans,maybe someone can get the pod cast :up: :up:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #190
Quote by TAYLOR.

Just been told that on the Kieth Figgiann show on Galway Bay Fm this morn that the docks was open again for campervans,maybe someone can get the pod cast :up: :up:

OH! that's good news!

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #191
It would be great but can anyone confirm this?? Have to head over to Galway again soon and am not aware of any facilities open and available to park van...

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #192
hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #193
mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #194
Now there's one for the books :up: :up:

Good to see they have woken up and had a smell of the coffee!!!

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #195
Listen from 1.59.00sec on to hear about campers. Sorry Hymer 524 you got in there before me.

Newbies
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #196
Well Well Well Well - eventually, a result. Let's hope this is the end of it, he seemed a little hesitant when asked about the Council 8-)

Thanks for the heads up

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #197
I will go down this eve to see if the signs are down.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #198
Quote by TAYLOR.

I will go down this eve to see if the signs are down.

From Motorhomecraic facebook page:

Pat Walsh: I was there at the weekend. There are no signs inviting campers to stay, bit there are also no signs preventing campers from parking, there are just signs up for 24hr parking not aimed at any particular class of vehicle. The electric and water points are still covered, so it seems you can just pay and park same as any other vehicle.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #199
There were signs see post 3, I will go and have a look, report back later. :up:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2015  ·  #200
Quote by TAYLOR.

There were signs see post 3, I will go and have a look, report back later. :up:

I know, I posted the photo - see post 13 :)

Pat Walsh was there weekend just past, AFAIK

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.