Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Galway Docks

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #1
Sign has been erected at Galway docks - No Motorhomes and threats of being clamped.

Is this the area where Motorhomes could previously overnight?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Galway Docks

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #2
Wow, how about the Cathedral car park?

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #3
I will go down there this evening and have a look.

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #4
Hope that's not the case.If it is I wonder why it has happened. Great facility to be able to use. Waiting to hear from you Ken.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #5
Walked down by the docks,and the news is bad 🇧🇭 On the lamp posts where the camper vans parked is a sign saying NO CAMPER VANS, MOTOR HOME, RECREATIONAL VEHICLES,PARKING.ANYTIME,80EURO RELEASE FEE FOR CLAMP.
Which is great if you can read English,lot of French and Germans use it,no picture to indicate it. 🇧🇭

I will call the harbor office tomorrow and ask why.

Challenger
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #6
Ah fe*k, was going to use that this mid-term break. Think of doing a trip out towards Galway. There's the Cafe in Oughterard, but other than that the POI spots seem to be very quiet places, which I'm not sure I'd want to stay at with kids

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2014  ·  #7
Phelim,
You could try the Cathedral car park,Galway is very MH unfriendly now 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 The cafe in Oughtarad is OK for a stop over not much to do there.

You might be as well taking your hard earned euro to a county that you are welcome in. :up:

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #8
Rang Galway port,its the Galway local authority that has told them to stop camper van parking.So stay away from Galway as they do not want your money. 🇧🇭

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #9
Ken, thanks for that info. I have also contacted the Port Authority and was informed that it was the Galway City Council who pointed out that the Port Authority had no planning permission for motorhome parking...How many years did it take for the city council to suddenly discover this??? I feel that there is something else/someone else behind this. I asked the Port Auth to pursue the matter and apply for retention of motorhome parking.
I also contacted the City Council and was told that the planning Authority enforcer involved is a Mr Peter Staunton. I have left my number for him to call me back after lunch.
Both Port and Council mentioned that there had been complaints but would not elucidate where these came from. (Salthill direction maybe????)

Apparently there may have been large numbers of motorhomes parked there during the season?? As in over 25. I can't comment as I did not see same. Imagine a city that does not want 25 motorhomers spending their cash in their locality....And their reaction is to close down the facility as opposed to expanding it!!!!!
Excuse rant but I am just back from France where we all know motorhomers are welcomed and facilities provided, in many cases for free. Of course camp sites are also of a higher standard than most here and cost less. ACSI is great but try using it in Ireland!!! Only 7/8 sites I think....out of how many?? But NONE in GALWAY....

I suggest motorhomers contact the City Council and express our disappointment at this sudden anti tourist action..

Also contact Port Authority and request they apply for planning retention/permission or what ever is required and at same time apply to expand the facility.

Watch for increases in costs on sites here with the water rates issue!!!!!!!!Any experiences yet???? javascript:void(0);🇧🇭
Off to gym now to work off frustrations....javascript:void(0);.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #10
I contacted a full time city councilor (Terry O Flaherty)she told me she didn't know that you could park a camper van at the docks(if she did she would have stopped it in my view),and she had received a number of complaints about campervans parked illegally at Liesureland in Salthill,and that they should not be there,when i asked her where they could park,she suggested a camp site,when i told her they were closed,she said its not mine concern. 🇧🇭

I think we are fighting a loosing battle,Galway never wanted caravans or campervans,so spend your money where you are wanted,Galway only want the hotel type clients not us.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #11
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #12
Quote by shaysue

Ken, thanks for that info. I have also contacted the Port Authority and was informed that it was the Galway City Council who pointed out that the Port Authority had no planning permission for motorhome parking...How many years did it take for the city council to suddenly discover this??? I feel that there is something else/someone else behind this. I asked the Port Auth to pursue the matter and apply for retention of motorhome parking.

Planning permission for Motorhome Parking?? surely it's a taxed, insured and licensed vehicle! do the lorries, cars and vans need planning permission?!

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #13

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #14
TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #15
When i asked why was it only in English,when so many European campervans used it,she replied they could not put it in every language,i told her there was no need,just a simple picture of a camper with a red line through it. 🇧🇭

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #16
I would suggest that everyone should let them know what we think of this decision.
Here is the email that I've sent to them.

I am writing to express my great dissapointment at the decision to prohibit motorhome parking in the Galway Docks in the Future.
This was an Excellent Facility and I believe that this Decision is a Retrograde step.
This Facility was of Great use to Tourists to Galway.Are we now to Believe that we are not now welcome in Galway.
Motorhome Patrons Contribute a great deal to an area,spending in Restaurants,Pubs,Service Stations,Shops etc.
I for one will be taking my Custom elsewhere in future,to somewhere where our Money is Appreciated.

Paddy Boyce

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #17
Well done Paddy,where did you sent it too,

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #18
Quote by TAYLOR.

Well done Paddy,where did you sent it too,

Sent it to both email addresses in my earlier post (No.14)

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #19
Paddy it has nothing to do with Galway Co Co its Galway city council you have to contact. :up:

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #20
manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #21
Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #22
I've just sent two off as well, both addresses. Nicely polite and no bad words. >_<

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #23
When are we going to wake up?? At the rate we are loosing recognised Motorhome parking places not to mind getting new aires in a short time at this rate we will not be able to take our Motorhomes on the Road. Is sending emails all we are going to do? Sending emails is a waste of time, How many times in the past did we send emails and what did get from them, Nothing! we went through all this last year in Dunmore East and lost the Battle and we are going to lose this one too if we don't get off our ass's and get out in our Motorhomes and protest. Why don't we take a trip into Galway in our Motorhomes and see for ourselves what the parking situation is like and keep driving around the City until we all find a parking space after all we pay road tax on our Motorhomes and are entitle to drive into the city and find a parking space. Sorry if I sound a bit pi**ed off, thats because I am.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #24
Quote by CHAUSSON

When are we going to wake up?? At the rate we are loosing recognised Motorhome parking places not to mind getting new aires in a short time at this rate we will not be able to take our Motorhomes on the Road. Is sending emails all we are going to do? Sending emails is a waste of time, How many times in the past did we send emails and what did get from them, Nothing! we went through all this last year in Dunmore East and lost the Battle and we are going to lose this one too if we don't get off our ass's and get out in our Motorhomes and protest. Why don't we take a trip into Galway in our Motorhomes and see for ourselves what the parking situation is like and keep driving around the City until we all find a parking space after all we pay road tax on our Motorhomes and are entitle to drive into the city and find a parking space. Sorry if I sound a bit pi**ed off, thats because I am.

I can only agree with Pat that we should do more than just send E-mails to these Councils. I would suggest that we should be contacting, as a group, local and national media to try and generate publicity around these retrograde decisions that some councils are taking. I really feel if we make a good case to local press and radio this could help promote our cause. I had an article in our local paper, after the meet we held, extolling the benefits to local communities of being motorhome friendly. If we could have more positive reviews in the press this would do the world of good to promote our cause. Would it not be possible for this forum to make contact with like minded clubs/forums to unite around this and contact the media to promote the aims of motorhomers otherwise as Pat says we will end up being virtually unable to use our vans.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #25
Quote by manta356

Quote by TAYLOR.

Paddy it has nothing to do with Galway Co Co its Galway city council you have to contact. :up:

Have now sent it to

customerservice@galwaycity.ie

And Also to

info@galwaybayfm.ie

I rang Keith Finnegan on Galway Bay FM this morning,but they didn't get back to me,maybe if enough people contact the station they may put it on air,after all Galway City relies on tourists all year round.The phone no is 091 770077,and Keiths show is on from 10am daily.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #26
I also agree with Pat but I am not sure on the way forward.

Some clubs do not talk to each other as far as I can tell, some do some don't. Some won't talk to the MA, some will. Some clubs do not promote Aire's, some do. We tried working with the MA in the past which didn't work but................ (see below).

To many different agenda's and to much fragmentation.

The biggest collection of Motorhomer's in Ireland is on Motorhomecraic, but we do not have a body or association connected with us. Perhaps it is time we did? or perhaps it is time we started our own?

I had some discussion with a member of the MA last weekend which could turn out to be positive, I can pursue this avenue if members of MHC would like me too, but I am open to all idea's.

We definitely need a voice and we need it now.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #27
Quote by Ally

Some clubs do not talk to each other as far as I can tell, some do some don't. Some won't talk to the MA, some will. Some clubs do not promote Aire's, some do. We tried working with the MA in the past which didn't work but................ (see below).

The biggest collection of Motorhomer's in Ireland is on Motorhomecraic, but we do not have a body or association connected with us. Perhaps it is time we did? or perhaps it is time we started our own?

I had some discussion with a member of the MA last weekend which could turn out to be positive, I can pursue this avenue if members of MHC would like me too, but I am open to all idea's.

Ally as you say we really do need a voice which can speak for us now and if we go down the route of starting our own I for one would be happy to see this becoming a reality. We no longer can sit back and accept that it is a lost cause for Motorhomers. We need this voice sooner rather than later as we seem to be losing places rapidly. URGENCY IS REQUIRED.

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #28
Quote by Ally

I agree with you Ally, but does that move turn a forum into a club, with officers, committees, meetings, votes etc etc.

A similar thing happened several years ago to owners of jet skis , councils banned them from using public slipways and beaches. We ended up selling ours as the places left to enjoy them became fewer and fewer. Now a jet ski is a rare sight.

It is the same problem with Motorhomes, the irresponsible minority are ruining it for the majority of owners.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #29
Quote by digger

I agree with you Ally, but does that move turn a forum into a club, with officers, committees, meetings, votes etc etc.

No that doesn't need to be the case, we could just appoint spoke persons who speak for all of MHC, with active discussion between members.

Quote by digger

the irresponsible minority are ruining it for the majority of owners.

I am not sure if that is the case, I think it is more a lack of education on some councils behalf.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #30
Quote by TAYLOR.

I contacted a full time city councilor (Terry O Flaherty)she told me she didn't know that you could park a camper van at the docks(if she did she would have stopped it in my view),and she had received a number of complaints about campervans parked illegally at Liesureland in Salthill,and that they should not be there,when i asked her where they could park,she suggested a camp site,when i told her they were closed,she said its not mine concern. 🇧🇭

It's an awful pity terry o Flaherty wouldn't talk to her brother that lives in Cobh and share his views on motorhomes,
According to him (he walks his dog past the aires) Cobh is loving the added business from the motorhomes, if by any chance you are talking to her in the near future ken you might say it to her,

I know terry o Flaherty is gung Ho against our distant cousins and may be tarring all with the one brush, (better safe than sorry would be her motto)
I'd say it's educating terry and the city council need, but I don't know 🇧🇭

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2014  ·  #31
Quote by Ally

I agree with you Ally, there is too many agenda's and too much Fragmentation but high time for us to bury the hatchet and lobby with a united front. 28 members said that they were joined Clubs in our recent poll and I urge every one of you them to approach their club with the view of all of us getting together and singing from the same hymn sheet. If planning is the issue which I doubt, the next thing they will want planning permission from Motorhome friendly pubs etc. Talking of Planning, down in Ardmore Dick Power is giving us great service with his private aire by the sea and is taking many motorhomes off the street and yet the council is trying to close him down with ridiculous demands and then they put up no Motorhome parking signs in the street stopping us parking there too, What the Bl**dy hell do they want ? You are dammed if you and you are dammed if you don't.

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #32
For what its worth I have just sent off e mails along the lines P Boyce has included here but expanded a little to explain where we, as motorhomers are coming from. In addition to Galway City Council and Galway Bay FM I have included Bord Failte.

I also sent an e mail to Galway Harbour authorities thanking them for this great facility over the past number of years but requesting that they apply for retention and indeed expansion of the facilities for motorhomers.

Needless to say I have not yet heard from Mr Peter Staunton, Galway City Council planning dept....I have stopped holding my breath...

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #33
Well done Seamus,I think a call to Kieth Finnegan in Galway Gay Fm (091770077)would help. When they stopped MH parking in Kinvara he had a piece on his morning show,after all Galway gets a lot of its income from tourism. :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #34
Galway Gay FM?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #35
shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #36
Hi Ken. Not realy interested in those type of stations!!!!!

Lets get more members on the keyboards....

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #37
Fair play to Galway City Council. Just received a reply from Mr Staunton as follows:
"Following a complaint from a member of the public in relation to motorhomes using car parking spaces at Dock St., Galway City Council were obliged to investigate the claims, as per Section 152 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended. Following a site inspection it was found that authorised car parking spaces were being utilised for the unauthorised parking of motorhomes, which were giving rise to traffic and pedestrian safety concerns.
It should be noted that planning permission does not exist for the parking of motorhomes at the site. The parking of motorhomes at this location represents a change in the authorised use of the land, from temporary car parking use permitted under PI. Ref. 12/67 (permitted until 26/06/2018), to a motorhome parking use. The unauthorised use of the land does not have the benefit of planning permission and therefore must cease. The parking of motor homes at this location also gives rise to issues of traffic and pedestrian safety, as the parking spaces are sized for cars only.
Should Galway Harbour Company wish to facilitate motorhome users at their site, then they are within their rights to consider their options with regard to seeking appropriate planning permission for the area in question.
Yours sincerely,
Peter Staunton
Assistant Planner / Enforcement Officer"

Factual and to the point. Fast follow up to "a complaint from a member of the public". ONE COMPLAINT. I agree with his comments about the size of parking spaces allocated to motorhomes. He passes the buck back to Galway Harbour Company....No mention of Galway City Council facilitating motorhome users though..
I will forward this to Harbour Company later.

Roadplease
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #38
Love your diligence Shay! Keep it up. :up:

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2014  ·  #39
He must be a fair influential member of the Public!

Out of curiosity do anyone know how long Motorhomes have been using the Dock area for Parking?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #40
I don't know that pat,

I heard it was the the lad that owns/ leases the salthill campsite that made the complaint to the city council regarding motorhomes parking in the docks,
He isn't happy ripping people off that pay through the nose to stay in his spot but he wants it all,

But it's a bit like what was posted earlier when there's 10 or 12 dedicated parking spaces for motorhomes (I'm referring to Cobh) and on the august bank holiday weekend I think it was, there was between 35 to 40 MH's a night parked up along the car park most turned side ways taking 5 or 6 spaces,
Sure people are going to report something,

Cannot comment if this has happened in Galway as I have not parked there ( too close to home) but if people don't wise up it could be Cobh next,
The attitude I seen in Cobh that weekend was well I'm not bothered who I block as long as I can get out when I want, one lad even blocked the space in front and behind his MH with chairs and tables so he could get out if he decided,

By wise up I mean park responsibly and not take 5 or 6 parking spaces,

I'll make a call later in the day and try get info on how long Galway has been letting MH's park,

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.