Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Galway Docks

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #41
Points to note that they have chosen to ignore,

Motorhomes are classed as cars under eu legislation so how can planning be broken

What areas of health and safety are being breeched by mh parking

Failure to provide adequate sized spaces is discrimatory against certain sections of the community who have chosen to drive larger vehicles

What provision is made for disabled users of motorhomes

As Motorhomes are parked, they are meeting the planning requirement as long as they don't camp, which means increasing the size of their footprint.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #42
Have the MA or any other motorhome body funds to get Legal advice on matters like this?

Also Galway City council said that they are not saying who sent in the report, so any names mentioned are probably speculation and I think we better not name anybody on a public forum as I don't think it is fair without concrete proof, and in the long term will not do us any good.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #43
FC it sounds like Mr. Staunton made up his own official rules , as you said motorhomes are private vehicles

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #44
Got the Following Reply from Galway City Council

"thank you for your email.
Please find below the background as to why Galway Harbour Company has been asked to cease permitting Motorhomes parking in the Galway Docks Area.

Following a complaint from a member of the public in relation to motor homes using car parking spaces at Dock St., Galway City Council were obliged to investigate the claims, as per Section 152 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended. Following a site inspection it was found that authorised car parking spaces were being utilised for the unauthorised parking of motor homes, which were giving rise to traffic and pedestrian safety concerns.

It should be noted that planning permission does not exist for the parking of motorhomes at the site. The parking of motorhomes at this location represents a change in the authorised use of the land, from temporary car parking use permitted under PI. Ref. 12/67 (permitted until 26/06/2018), to a motorhome parking use. The unauthorised use of the land does not have the benefit of planning permission and therefore must cease. The parking of motorhomes at this location also gives rise to issues of traffic and pedestrian safety, as the parking spaces are sized for cars only.

Should Galway Harbour Company wish to facilitate motorhome users at their site, then they are within their rights to consider their options with regard to seeking appropriate planning permission for the area in question.

I hope that the above information assists in explaining the reasons why Galway City Council had to take the course of action that it did.

Yours sincerely,

Nicola Cooke

Customer Service
Galway City Council
Tel. 091-536400
Email: customerservice@galwaycity.ie
www.galwaycity.ie

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #45
In regards to the clamping, will non cars ie vans and pickups be clamped because they are not cars.

Could his bluff, as such, be called by requesting a copy of the planning permission under a freedom of information request to see what exactly is covered by the planning.

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #46
Have replied to them,with the Questions that the Fat Controller posted in Post 41.
I await their Response. :sleep:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #47
Has anyone from the area contacted the papers, I know about the radio which ken has kindly done. What about some of the businesses in the general area of the harbour?

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #48
The local paper is called The City Tribune,or The Galway Advertiser,There were 2 bars in the docks area that you could get tokens for the EH but they have both closed down,they were the only business in general area.

But a few mins walk would bring you to Quay St with plenty of restaurants and bars.

I was down that way at lunch time,and there were ordinary vans parked.

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Galway docks

· 
Posted: 17.10.2014  ·  #49
If it was a park owner that complained to the council they would be obliged to back him up as the council impose conditions on parks that are very strict and very expensive to comply with which in turn makes these parks to expensive to stay in

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2014  ·  #50
Can anyone from Galway tell me what the building with the large empty car park on the corner of nimmos pear and gratten rd is would make a good place to park

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2014  ·  #51
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2014  ·  #52
I think there is planning permission being looked at for the parking of Motorhomes on the Enterprise Park.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #53
Is that what that buildings is the enterprise park not very enterprising with a big empty carpark

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #54
Quote by hillton9

Can anyone from Galway tell me what the building with the large empty car park on the corner of nimmos pear and gratten rd is would make a good place to park

That's the old Galway Rovers club house, I think it's a scouts den now.The car park is still used but has a hight barrier

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #55
Quote by Ally

I think there is planning permission being looked at for the parking of Motorhomes on the Enterprise Park.

Are you serious, this is Galway we are talking about, the most unfriendly MH county in Ireland 🇧🇭
Took a walk out salthill on Fri, every lamppost has a no MH parking day or night.Can they do that, truck, vans and busses were all parked, but park my MH and I break the law 🇧🇭

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #56
Quote by TAYLOR.

Took a walk out salthill on Fri, every lamppost has a no MH parking day or night.Can they do that, truck, vans and busses were all parked, but park my MH and I break the law 🇧🇭

Well this remains to be figured out, it looks like they cannot as MH's are classed the same as a car, lorry, van etc

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #57
We should all descend on salt hill some week end and test them to see what would they do.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #58
We could try it, but I would say the city council would have the ticket warden or garda, ticket all vans

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Galway docks

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #59
A no parking sign for motorhomes only would not be legal as a vehicle that has a current tax disc can park where any other private or commercial vehicle parks
Overnight parking would be a different matter on a public road or public parking area

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #60
Why can a motorhome not park overnight on the road if there's no one on it? After all it's the same as any other vehicle.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #61
Quote by jacktherev

Why can a motorhome not park overnight on the road if there's no one on it? After all it's the same as any other vehicle.

Jack why cant I park during the day, I have payed my road tax.

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #62
Some interesting points here from Citizen's Information.
http://www.citizensinformation…mping.html

" Before making bye-laws that restrict parking, your local authority must consult with the Garda Commissioner and give public notice of its intention to make bye-laws that will restrict parking. It may take out advertisements in local newspapers or on local radio, etc. It is also obliged to consider any observations or objections from members of the public that result from that process. Objections or queries can be lodged with your local authority's traffic division."

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Galway docks

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #63
As I said in my earlier post a motorhome enjoys the same parking rights as any other vehicle that has a current tax disc it is the overnight parking that would be the problem this would be due to bye laws that local authorities can bring in
The best way of resolving this issue would be find out what bye laws are in place for this area

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #64
I think the situation reds to be tested.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #65
Quote by jacktherev

We should all descend on salt hill some week end and test them to see what would they do.

No bad Idea, Jack! but we would want to have our homework done first. Do we not have any legal Eagles on this forum? We need to get legal advice and that costs money so??????????

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #66
Pat it's simple t me. i pay my road tax and insurance. If I just park in a car park space and Im not sleeping in the van WHAT? It's using a car park space that presumably Ive paid for a specific time. How can they summons me?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2014  ·  #67
Quote by jacktherev

Pat it's simple t me. i pay my road tax and insurance. If I just park in a car park space and Im not sleeping in the van WHAT? It's using a car park space that presumably Ive paid for a specific time. How can they summons me?

You are talking to the converted here, Jack! I genuinely think we need some type of demonstration and have the Media in attendance but we better not Pi** off the locals.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2014  ·  #68
Before everyone gets all gung-ho do your homework first, find out what by laws are in place, that should just be a case of asking the council concerned for a copy. They may have already put something in place in which case it needs to be tested in the various courts as to its legality on various grounds.

In the north we have the equalities commission which can look at all things discriminatory and they can take legal action where necessary, do you have a similar body in the south, and if so what's their appetite like for perusing things?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2014  ·  #69
Quote by the fat controller

Before everyone gets all gung-ho do your homework first, find out what by laws are in place, that should just be a case of asking the council concerned for a copy. They may have already put something in place in which case it needs to be tested in the various courts as to its legality on various grounds.

In the north we have the equalities commission which can look at all things discriminatory and they can take legal action where necessary, do you have a similar body in the south, and if so what's their appetite like for perusing things?

Don't know if we have equalities commission or anything like it down here, John! I agree it is very Important to have our home work done and have legal advice on the matter, but that costs money. It would probably be a good Idea if we could get some kind of fund together for this kind of activity.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2014  ·  #70
Pat, that in itself is a thorny issue, as how much do you need? The answer is deep pockets as you are going against a government quango who really would care how long or how much it costs.

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Galway docks

· 
Posted: 20.10.2014  ·  #71
You would be wasting time and money going the legal route with this after all this is a working docks with lots of commercial traffic they would argue that it is not a place for motorhomes that would have kids pets bikes ect in a busy port they probably passed no remarks on one or two motorhomes pulling in at eight or nine at night and leaving early next morning obviously something has caused that to change

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2014  ·  #72
Quote by the fat controller

Pat, that in itself is a thorny issue, as how much do you need? The answer is deep pockets as you are going against a government quango who really would care how long or how much it costs.

I agree John! But at the moment we don't have money to get legal advice or direction of what to do.
Let's see what comes out of the meeting with the MA

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2014  ·  #73
Quote by paddyx

You would be wasting time and money going the legal route with this after all this is a working docks with lots of commercial traffic they would argue that it is not a place for motorhomes that would have kids pets bikes ect in a busy port they probably passed no remarks on one or two motorhomes pulling in at eight or nine at night and leaving early next morning obviously something has caused that to change

I agree with you too, Paddy regarding the port but I was referring to Jack's suggestion regarding no Motorhome parking day or night in Salthill.

We realy need to start some where on this!

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #74
Why don't we just send a letter to the counsel telling them that we want to go to Galway and we want to spend our money and what can they do to make us welcome this way your putting the ball in there court ,a letter with how many people use this forums names might just make them stand back and think about how much cash they would be making if they give us somewhere to park, but also put the same letter into the local press so the all the shops pubs restaurants will also see that we are willing to spend cash in galway

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #75
The Connacht Sentinel has a piece this morning,someone with a bit more skill will be able to get the link.

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Galway docks

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #76
They will tell you there is somewhere to park

Roadplease
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #77

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #78
TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #79
Thanks Mark.

Also a small mention on Galway Bay Fm,on the Keith Finnegan show :up:

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2014  ·  #80
Credit must be given to the Phoenix Club for having this issue raised in the media. Well done to them :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.