mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Cobh

· 
Posted: 21.09.2014  ·  #41
There's a lad who parks his RV there all the time, I heard from a local lad walking his dog the last time we were there in august that he uses it every 2nd weekend or so,

Also if you visit cork there's another aires in Middleton with services (no bins) 25c to empty the cassette in the super loo,

We have stayed 2 or 3 times now and really enjoy the area,

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2014  ·  #42
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2015  ·  #43
jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2015  ·  #44
Good for them they are on the ball! Hopefully others will follow suite.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2015  ·  #45
Quote by jacktherev

Hopefully others will follow suite.

:up:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2015  ·  #46
Great news.
I agree that they should have a small charge for the use. Let us hope they don't get greedy and think it is a campsite

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2015  ·  #47
20 spaces now marked up.

Latest info from local Exec Engineer is that the installation of services is imminent.
It was hoped they would be in place for this summer but that target seems to be slipping.
When services are in it is planned to re-activate the P&D at perhaps €7 per 24 hours in high season with reduced rates or free in low season.

The Municipal District Officer (formally Town Clerk) has been in contact with Canterbury City Council and is thinking of using the controls and bye-laws they have in place for the P&R at Dover Road as an example for drawing up the same for Cobh (controlling parking and banning camping).

There is also talk of a Grand Opening when all the work is complete, a pre-pay event with meal/tours/civic reception, cutting of the tape, etc. included in the price.

We are working at making Cobh a best practice model as an example to the rest of the country.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2015  ·  #48
Congratulations to all the forward thinking people involved.

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2015  ·  #49
Stayed there last summer, terrific spot for parking and hopefully be there for the opening. Well done to all involved. Rest of Ireland TAKE NOTE>

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2015  ·  #50
Was there earlier in the year and plan on returning for a night or two shortly. Spent a significant sum of money in the town on our last visit. It would be great to have services but I guess that won't have happened by our next trip. As it is popular spot I think a charge is a good idea. Otherwise some will abuse the facility. Last time I was there there was at least one van there unoccupied.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2016  ·  #51
As 7 months since last post, what is current situation in Cobh, do they now have the services, and how much overnight, is it P&D?
Only new on here and so much to read perhaps this question discussed somewhere else.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2016  ·  #52
Hi Rosemary, I was down there 2 weeks ago(without van),the only addition i saw since my last visit last year was the exercise park. :up:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2016  ·  #53
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2016  ·  #54
Quote by TAYLOR.

was the exercise park.

Scary stuff :D :D

ber_sull
Subject:

Cobh

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #55
Cobh to provide state-of-the-art camper van site

Thursday, March 10, 2016Sean O’Riordan
A harbourside town in Co Cork is to become the first place in Ireland to create a state-of-the-art site for camper vans which will be governed by bylaws.

Council officials are preparing to create up to 30 bays at the special camper van location at the Five Foot Way near Whitepoint in Cobh, which has magnificent views of Cork harbour.

It’s the culmination of nearly two years work and the brainchild of a local councillor who founded the highly successful Cobh Animation Team, who dress up in period costume as part of tourist-attracting activities.

Cllr Claire Cullinane (Ind) saw the opportunity when well-heeled camper van owners from the continent started pulling up in the town to savour its outstanding history and panoramic views. She started engaging with them and asked what facilities should be provided which would allow the local authority to charge for occupancy of the bays.

“They said they wanted a secure site, which it is, and a proper facility to empty their toilets into and a water (supply) station. In addition to that we will be putting in an eco-friendly toilet at the site which will be solar-powered,” Ms Cullinane said.

“Unfortunately the toilet is unlikely to be ready until the end of September or maybe October.”

Council officials told a meeting of the county council’s local municipal district council that they expect the facilities to be ready by the end of May — in time for the main tourist season.

She said there was an international body which advises camper van owners of places of interest where they will be well catered for.

“We will be having an introductory weekend, free of charge for these people, and hope they will market the site through their own magazine and website,” Ms Cullinane said.

The county council will also putting up internationally-recognised signs on the approach roads to Cobh showing the availability of the facilities.

Senior council official Pádraig Lynch said they were finalising bylaws for the operation of the bays, saying they would be the first in the country to introduce them.

It has been decided that a pay-and-display introductory charge of €10 will be applied per overnight parking in the bays, with a probable 48-hour maximum limit for stays, although this might be extended.

Ms Cullinane said camper van visitors have told her that they would be willing to pay up to €25 per day for similar facilities in other countries. Mr Lynch said 20 bays were initially proposed for the facility, but they’d now been upped to 30.

So now we know,"we are well heeled and willing to pay 25euros a night".Well I have news for Cllr Cullinane,I owen a camper van and I am not well heeled(probably because I own a camper van)and I would not pay 25 euros a night for this type of parking either in Ireland or in the continent and I doubt very much any of our continental friends would pay either.(rant over)

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #56
Well thats all well and good, But theres no need for a state of the art solar toilet (as we all know)

And I'm thinking the exact same way as Ber_Sull's last paragraph :'(

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #57
Bernard,

I edited your post so it was more obvious what was quoted and what was your own view, hope that's OK.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #58
another place to be ruined by misinformation and wrong advice

25 euro a night !!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #59
Cllr. Claire Cullinane is a very energetic worker and has done a huge amount for Cobh tourism in particular.
Cllr. John Mulvihill Jnr. (who unfortunately lost his seat in the most recent local elections) was one of the early supporters of the project back in 2013 and brought the town officials on board.
Cllr. Claire Cullinane later became involved and both haves been very supportive of the project on a political level but in this instance I fear Cllr. Claire Cullinane has gotten a bit over enthusiastic and a little out of her depth on the pricing issue.
We all know that €10 or €12 is the maximum high season rate throughout Europe for such a facility with reduced rates in the shoulder season and low season.

The real hero's in this development are the local Cork County Council Exec Engineer and Municipal Officer (formerly Town Clerk) who responded to the campaigning of local motorhome interests and those enlightened councillors and sanctioned the works to put the facility in place.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #60
Quote by Bob

another place to be ruined by misinformation and wrong advice

25 euro a night !!

I can assure all that the advice and examples given clearly indicated pricing based on mainland Europe Aires

Where Cllr. Claire Cullinane got her idea that €25 per 24 hour stay is a realistic price is one of life's mysteries.
No reference to such a price is contained in any of the MI material provided to Cobh Municipal (Town) Council.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2016  ·  #61
Have you had any recent Correspondence with her regarding her proposed pricing structure? Colin.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2016  ·  #62
€25 per night, and you can't even put a chair out, nor bbq. She's taking the proverbial....

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2016  ·  #63
Quote by CHAUSSON

Have you had any recent Correspondence with her regarding her proposed pricing structure? Colin.

All efforts have been directed towards the Council officials, those who actually decide when things get done.
There hasn't been contact with Cllr. Cullinane in recent months. However, she is very enthusiastic in promoting Cobh as a tourist destination and has seen the provision of motorhome parking as a significant benefit to the Cobh economy and being a politician another 'string to her bow'.
MI and the LOCAL CLUB who have been very much part of the campaign from the beginning will bring her up to speed on appropriate pricing at the earliest opportunity.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2016  ·  #64
Will you/MI be lobbying to have the cost reduced because I for one will not pay €25 for aire facilities, for a campsite - yes for the reasons Nick/Helgahobby states.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2016  ·  #65
The item quoted by ber_sull is from the Irish Examiner SEE HERE and contains a number of inaccuracies and some spin.

Facts are:
Cobh Municipal Council have confirmed the rate will be €10 per 24 hours and there is no plans to increase that figure.
The motorhome parking at Cobh was not the brainchild of Cllr. Cullinane. However she is now very active in promoting the project.
The eco-friendly toilet has nothing to do with the motorhome parking AFAIK it's a 'gift' from those who operate the wind turbines in the area.

There are also other statements attributed to Cllr. Cullinane. However, she has confirmed to us that she gave no personal interview on the subject and the article would have been drawn from a wide ranging discussion on the matter during a recent monthly council meeting, which was attended by a number of reporters for the local print media.

paul
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2016  ·  #66
Hi folks'

Has anybody got an update on the aire in Cobh? Is it open yet? We were hoping to stay on Thursday and Friday as my wife has work in the city.
Any news would be appreciated. Paul.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2016  ·  #67
Quote by paul

Hi folks'

Has anybody got an update on the aire in Cobh? Is it open yet? We were hoping to stay on Thursday and Friday as my wife has work in the city.
Any news would be appreciated. Paul.

Cobh has had official motorhome parking for over two years, last time I looked there were 20 marked places.

However, it is planned to 'officially open' the area in May when services have been provided and 10 more places have been added.

paul
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2016  ·  #68
Cheers Baguette.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #69
Hoping to go there this week. Has anybody been there in recent months?
Thanks
Franco

Exbiker
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #70
We stayed there at Easter, on a cold very wet night and day, however the Aire is great close to town the trains stop running early enough so quiet nights sleep, full marks to Cobh council.

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #71
I was there last weekend - great place.
No services but lovely place.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2016  ·  #72
Hi stayed in Cobh for 3 days last week. Very busy. Liners in on Saturday and Sunday. A festival was also on. There are about 12 marked sites for campers, but there were 41 motorhomes in situ. Plenty of refuse bins. There is a connection for toilet disposal unit, but it is not yet connected, so be aware. It was still free to stay last week.
Franco

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #73
30 parking spaces now available
Services now available in Cobh,
Credit to the Phoenix Motorhome club, Cobh town council and all involved

***Note you cannot get a hose onto tap as there is a basket covering the tap, so a bucket or funnel is needed

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #74
Good news :up:

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2016  ·  #75
:splits: That is great news. Cobh maybe able to show other towns how to get valuable business from MH's!

Hady
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B588 DL
Base Vehicle: 2.3l Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2016  ·  #76
Sounds great, is there a charge. I wish more Councils would be as forward thinking.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2016  ·  #77
No charge yet but there will be from what I hear,
It's worth paying a few quid for the whole package in my opinion :up: :up:

Hady
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B588 DL
Base Vehicle: 2.3l Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2016  ·  #78
Yes, and at least they are making Motorhomes welcome not like most other Councils.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2016  ·  #79
Agreed Max.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2016  ·  #80
Quote by mad max

No charge yet but there will be from what I hear,
It's worth paying a few quid for the whole package in my opinion :up: :up:

Absolutely agree any facility where money has been spent to facilitate motorhomes is worth paying a few pounds and for those that don't want to pay then don't stop.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.