sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Re: Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #41
If you contact this company, ( breakdown transport company there are a few depots around northern France ) and get a cost to lift you to Cherbourg, check will Irish Ferries do something for you ( quote this site it might help ) .or to Roscoff for cork with Brittany ferries ( about 250 euro one way sailing )
Depannage-galivel.com)
Rue Joset Belami, 35740 Pacé, France
+33 2 23 40 15 15
The nearest one to you is in a place called ( Pace on the outskirts of Rennes 48.145911, -1.763297 ) about 70 km from you,they are a breakdown company franchises used buy the likes of Hertz.
You will not be allowed to tow it in France even on a bar.it will have to be lifted.and the same this side.
In the mean time apparently the cheapest place to get engines is from Poland .

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #42
Joe, I know you said it was a Peugeot Boxer, Just wondering if it was a Van conversion or a Coach build, if it is a van conversion you wouldn't need a big recovery Lorry to repatriate it

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #43
It's an Autocruise Stargazer model on a Boxer base.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #44
Might be worth a call to autocraft recovery in Ardrahan co galway, i know they cover europe aswell,
Long shot but worth a call

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #45
Just_many thanks for the information about breakers yards. Unfortunately I've not even been able to find a local mechanic willing to do the work so planning on getting home and doing what you suggest once back. Thanks.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #46
Joe hope you get home safely and that you get the engine sorted with less cost than quoted. Its something we all dread happening when we go to the continent. Really unfortunate.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #47
Thats really tough. Hope you get homw and sorted Joe

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #48
Quote by Daffysparks

If you can get it to Rosslare I am only about 10 miles from there and you can leave it here till you figure out your best options. Wouldn't be a problem to get you towed to my place.
Best of luck,don't make a hasty decision. €7500 is crazy money

Hi Daffysparks
We'll we've finally got transport for our van to Cherbourg. The IF will tow us on and off again at Rosslare. So it'd be great if we could take you up on your offer to be towed to your place. Or do you know a local mechanic in yur area who might be interested in replacing our engine. Anyway let me know what to do next. The ferry gets in on Wednesday at 2. Joe

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #49
So just an update. Got recovery to Cherbourg and Irish Ferries will tow us on and off again at Rosslare. Now looking to get the van sorted back home where at least we speak the same language 😊

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #50
Hi Joe there is a mechanic in Rathnew Wicklow. Robbie Fox would take the job on no problem .
To get transport from the ferry come back with the L/W/H. Total weight and length of overhang from the center of the rear wheel. So that it will not drag the ground when loading.
Justin could give you the contact for the guy who shifted his to Donegal that was a great price.

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #51
All sorted. Found a garage near Rosslare who have sourced an engine with 6 months warranty. Will also have new clutch and timing belt kit fitted. He'll collect us from the ferry also. Whew. We can relax now.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #52
There's a mechanic in Rosslare Strand lifted my van from Kilmore Quay to his garage for repair all done on Dolman Insurance, I'm sure someone here has his name and no or phone your insurance and get them to take you to the nearest competent repairer, best of luck

Sorry posted this the same time as your last post, delighted you sorted

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #53
Hi Joe. Sorry I only got to see message now. It looks like things have moved on since you left the post for me. I take it you are sorted now. That's great to hear. If anything changes give me a shout, the offer still stands
David

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #54
Quote by Daffysparks

Hi Joe. Sorry I only got to see message now. It looks like things have moved on since you left the post for me. I take it you are sorted now. That's great to hear. If anything changes give me a shout, the offer still stands
David

Thanks David and if you're ever stuck in Clare drop me a line and I'll return the favour. I live near mountshannon. Joe

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #55
Quote by joeirish

All sorted. Found a garage near Rosslare who have sourced an engine with 6 months warranty. Will also have new clutch and timing belt kit fitted. He'll collect us from the ferry also. Whew. We can relax now.

Brilliant!
Thrilled you have a solution... I know only too well the feeling of blind panic and not knowing where to start when all went wrong!!!
Now you can relax and look forward to getting it back up and running and on the road again as we have recently too. (Less a few €€€'s of course!)
Excellent that you have an engine lined up and someone to do the 'surgery' at home for you.
Hope all goes well.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #56
Cheers Joe. That's a lovely part of the world. Enjoy the last few days, now that you can. All the best.
David

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #57
Great news that your getting things sorted out. I just have to say that this thread shows what this forum is all about. A great bunch of like minded people only to willing to help out with advice or practical help when it's needed. A big pat on the back to all the The Craic members who responded.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #58
Quote by GMAC
A big pat on the back to all the The Craic members who responded.

Ditto.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #59
Quote by joeirish

So just an update. Got recovery to Cherbourg and Irish Ferries will tow us on and off again at Rosslare.

Glad you got sorted out Joe, hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.Did you get the recovery to Cherbourg through Dolmen ?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #60
Great news joe. Be sure to put a pallet of grape juice in the back of the MH. It will help with your recovery at home and also you won't have to worry about overloading the MH.
Sometimes it's not easy to ask for help but I think that folks here responded to your hardship. This makes a forum like here special because like minded people can bounce ideas/solutions off each other without recourse.
Keep us posted on progress.
Malcolm

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #61
Great news Joe that you are on the road to getting sorted. Well done to all those for offering
support and assistance, its great to know that in MHC when the Sh*t hits the fan you are not alone. :up:

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #62
So a big thank you for all those who offered support and advice over the past quite traumatic days. It was a great feeling to have this community rooting for us.
In the end the AXA international assist gave us a quote of €1000 to get us to Cherbourg. Advice from folks here meant I knew about IF being able to tow us on and off. And finally finding a garage in Rosslare meant we.can get the job done for.about one fifth of what we were originally quoted. Thanks again folks

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #63
well done Joe. Have you sorted the last bit , getting you all from Rosslaire to Clare.?

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #64
Quote by sprinter

well done Joe. Have you sorted the last bit , getting you all from Rosslaire to Clare.?

No we still have that to sort. Maybe hire a car or use bus and trains. But it also depends on how long it'll take to replace the engine. We might even stay in the area while this is being done.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #65
Quote by joeirish

Quote by sprinter

No we still have that to sort. Maybe hire a car or use bus and trains. But it also depends on how long it'll take to replace the engine. We might even stay in the area while this is being done.

If this is any help.
I presume your own car is at home, if you want too and can organize the Keys for me I will collect your car and meet you in Rosslaire. is there anyone at home who could pick me up, say from Limerick or Birdhill train station.
I am retired and a day trip on the train wouldn't do me any harm ( put my travel pass to good use ). and I will be going to wexford late next week anyway.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #66
I have got to say that the response here has made me proud to be a member of Motorhome Craic. I have not made my comments as I am in Grance and too far away to help. The response here and concern is what makes Motorhome Craic what it is a great site.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #67
Quote by jacktherev

I have got to say that the response here has made me proud to be a member of Motorhome Craic. I have not made my comments as I am in Grance and too far away to help. The response here and concern is what makes Motorhome Craic what it is a great site.

Jack you could not have put it better,this is what a real Motorhome site does for members.
Facebook comments here today gone tomorrow, Motorhome Craic here today here tomorrow here for real members.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #68
Long time ago when I worked in the UK building power stations for a company called Taylor Woodrow our company badge was three men pulling together on a rope. The motto was when you all pull together you get the job done . So a clap on the back to all good folk .

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2017  ·  #69
Quote by sprinter

Quote by joeirish

Quote by sprinter

If this is any help.
I presume your own car is at home, if you want too and can organize the Keys for me I will collect your car and meet you in Rosslaire. is there anyone at home who could pick me up, say from Limerick or Birdhill train station.
I am retired and a day trip on the train wouldn't do me any harm ( put my travel pass to good use ). and I will be going to wexford late next week anyway.

Thanks that's a great offer. I'll make some inquiries over the weekend and see if there's anybody who can get our keys to you at Limerick or Birdhill. I'll get back to you on Monday if that's ok.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 23.09.2017  ·  #70
[/quote]
Thanks that's a great offer. I'll make some inquiries over the weekend and see if there's anybody who can get our keys to you at Limerick or Birdhill. I'll get back to you on Monday if that's ok.
[/quote]
That,s no problem, I sent you a PM with my phone number and other suggestions that we could do, if you haven't received it let me know.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #71
I am glad to read the help you have received via this forum. To me it appears you got more help here than you did from Dolmen.

The two points which interest me are quoted below.
I have asked Dolmen for years about this and have always been told "all the information is in your documentation".
They have point blank refused to comment on how worth while their repatriation cover is. Because of this I have always purchased additional repatriation cover which is much clearer than dolmen.

Maybe it is time of us to highlight to Dolmen how useless this cover is to anyone in France or further in Europe.
What is the point in them providing €650 of cover when they themselves quote €3500 for the job.

Quote by joeirish

At the moment my insurers are quoting around €3.5k to get me back after they have made their contribution from my policy. Thanks.

Quote by joeirish

Insured with Dolmen but only up to 650 per breakdown. Used 180 being brought from D177 to Redon.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #72
I am insured with Stuart's but I a;ways take out extra cob]ver with the Caravan Club in the event of anything happening.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #73
I have been insured with Dolmen but wouldn't rely on the breakdown cover provided by them. I have had RAC breakdown (UK and Europe) cover for years now. It has a great level of cover both breakdown and repatriation.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #74
Quote by mark

I am glad to read the help you have received via this forum. To me it appears you got more help here than you did from Dolmen.

The two points which interest me are quoted below.
I have asked Dolmen for years about this and have always been told "all the information is in your documentation".
They have point blank refused to comment on how worth while their repatriation cover is. Because of this I have always purchased additional repatriation cover which is much clearer than dolmen.

Maybe it is time of us to highlight to Dolmen how useless this cover is to anyone in France or further in Europe.
What is the point in them providing €650 of cover when they themselves quote €3500 for the job.

Quote by joeirish

At the moment my insurers are quoting around €3.5k to get me back after they have made their contribution from my policy. Thanks.

Quote by joeirish

Insured with Dolmen but only up to 650 per breakdown. Used 180 being brought from D177 to Redon.

While I agree with you Mark, I suppose we get what we pay for`, I recon if we want €3500 reparation cover they will probably double the premium and I don't think that would go down well with Motorhomers that don't go outside the Island of Ireland. for that reason I am Happy to pay for ADAC Cover, In fact we haven't left Ireland for the last two years in the Motorhome but I still wouldn't be without it.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #75
Joe have you just tried to phone me ?
Try 353 1 2875293

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #76
No I sent a PM. I'll phone tomorrow from the garage in Rosslare. Just got the van onto dock next to the ferry in Cherbourg. Paid my 23 euros and now set to make it home with van. Loads of trouble with data roaming on my Tesco dimmed phone but that's for another thread.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #77
Joe I didn't get any PM. do you want to give me your number I'll try call you before you sail out of contact.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #78
Joe

In case you havent noticed, Admin has changed your membership status to "Premium Member" this will allow you to send PM's within the site which could help you with communications between members helping to sort out your problems.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #79
Had problems with Tesco too.. Will post it in the mobiles forum for reference as I got a work around!

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

back home

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #80
So got back to Rosslare and towed the the repair garage in Wexford. Nice man, Liam Clancy, loaned us a car to get home. We went back yesterday with his loaned car and our own and retrieved the rest of the stuff from the campervan. Now back in Clare. Attached is a photo of the van as of yesterday.

Just few things about the suggestions made by folk on here, for which we were extremely grateful, but worth updating the info we got. Basically we found that some of the suggested mechanics did not seem to exist or did not reply.

The angloinfo.com website seems to have a lot of out of date stuff. B+A transport service is no longer are in business according to the English guy who we spoke to. Chris Daniels never returned our voicemail message. Ian Bettison phone number is invalid.

Fresh Marine Services did not respond to phone messages and nobody seemed to be whenever we phoned. Shiply said that they only quoted for taking vans to and from the continent and did not do transport within France (at this stage we were looking to get the van transported back to Cherbourg).

Unfortunately none of the shipping companies were able to help either. But I did find the suggestion really useful and contacted UK based car transporters. One, S. G. Haulage in Lincoln (0044 1522 702443) do transport motorhomes to and from the UK via various ports. They were full when we needed help but often are returning from Spain to Cherbourg with space. Would have done the journey for £850 plus vat if we had been prepared to wait another couple of weeks until their next trip.

And then the owner of the Irish Pub in Redon (O'Shannon it's called and he was so helpful while we were stuck so do go and have a drink there if your in town) found a local company in town who could do it. Auto 44 they're called. He spoke to them and they quoted €1000 so he arranged for them to come and see our van but as we walked out of the pub the Axa continental help phone to say they had also found a company who would do this for €1088. So we decided to go with them as the woman could do all the organising as she was French. And that's how we got back to Cherbourg. But unfortunately the transport company charged us €200 more because they said they had quoted Axa for a car and not a camper. I'm now trying to get that back. I'll also get about €480 from Axa for this leg of our transportation.

So lessons learned. Simple. Join ADAC.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.