joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #1
Wonder if anybody can help. The engine on our van has seized. Not sure how bad it is but trying to see about getting home without power. Currently in Redon near Vannes,Brittany. So has anybody used a recovery vehicle to get to Cherbourg? If I can get the van that far then relatively cheap to get home after that. At the moment my insurers are quoting around €3.5k to get me back after they have made their contribution from my policy. Thanks.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #2
Hi that is a real bummer, I presume you are insured in Ireland. How good is you French, are you on a site ,is there anyone who can translated for you.
I googled your location and I can see 3no auto repair shops ,1boat yard hiring yacht's, and a transporter on materials. one, or all on them, would surly know of someone with a lowloader or trailer who could transport your van 300km ,8hour round trip. For a lot less money then that.

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #3
Thanks for the reply sprinter. We are on a garage forecourt. Insured with Dolmen but only up to 650 per breakdown. Used 180 being brought from D177 to Redon. Just getting to grips with the whole situation. Won't know till Wednesday what the problem is. Maybe fixable here then we can drive home. But checking options in the meantime.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Seized engine in France

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #4
That's what I taught , its why I got ADAC cover because the 650 would not get you from Limerick to Wexford. That's another days conversation. make a few calls check out the transport. Please do us all a favour,keep notes of all that that you go trough and when everything is settled , post the results here
Keep in touch ,let us know how you get on.
Very Best Regards

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #5
Hi, wow, I feel your pain!
When are you scheduled to sail home?
We (Wife, 2 kids and I) are currently in Baden not far from Cernac and are marking our way back up toward Cherbourg in the morning to sail back on Sunday. If I can be of any help let me know.... I don't speak any French though. !

I did a quick search for recovery companies and found this link with companies details and locations http://m.europages.co.uk/companies/France/breakdown.html

I see one in Cherbourg 'Fresh Marine Service'... same thing them coming down to collect and bring back to Cherbourg. There may even be a company closer to where you are on the list that might be handier.
As Sprinter said someone to translate would be really handy (assuming you don't speak french of course!). If not, then google translate on your smart phone is invaluable.
Why will it take until Wednesday to see if it's fixable?
I hope you get it fixed and get motoring again soon.

PS: I recently had to get my 7mtr long x 3.5mtr high camper recovered from Arklow to Donegal and it cost me €430 just so you have a reference point on what it cost at home.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #6
Quote by joeirish

Wonder if anybody can help. The engine on our van has seized. Not sure how bad it is but trying to see about getting home without power. Currently in Redon near Vannes,Brittany. So has anybody used a recovery vehicle to get to Cherbourg? If I can get the van that far then relatively cheap to get home after that. At the moment my insurers are quoting around €3.5k to get me back after they have made their contribution from my policy. Thanks.

Outch! That is a bugger alright, whatever you do don't rush into anything, if you are going to have spend around €3500 in reparation you would be better off spending that money in France repairing your Motorhome, remember you still have to repair it when you get it home. I don't know what kind of Motorhome you have, is it worth spending that kind of money on it? maybe you might be better off trading it for another. there are a lot of options.

Shiply might be worth a try for a quation

https://www.google.ie/aclk?sa=…SgB&adurl=

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #7
Sorry to hear your in difficulty,I have often dreaded the thought of it whilst in France .This may be of some use to you, www.angloinfo.com/brittany lists for mechanics some recovery and storage providers in the Brittany area. B+ A transport service Lanrelas [22] .tel 0648197647. also Chris Daniels mechanic in Redon 0299705208. Hope you get her sorted.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #8
I learnt a harsh lesson in France 13 years ago when we blew an engine in our car. Basically when a French garage is dealing with a tourist they are obliged to inform the tourist of an independent authority who can adjuctate on bills,etc. Translation is important. 20 euro into the local bar will save a fortune.
13 years ago the French prices were peanuts compared to Paddies but I only found out afterwards.
If in a hurry home, fly home and then afterwards get a cheap flight back to get the camper. Postpone your ferry for a month or so. If your engine is ballsed it will be easier to get one in Europe with a reliable service history than from an Irish breaker

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #9
We are in the middle of France at the minute but due in Cherbourg tomorrow evening. Just ask if we can help with luggage at the port or a lift on the other side. We are going north via Dublin.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #10
As others have said without repatriation cover, your best option may be a fix in France unless you can get a cost effective tow to Cherbourg - then there are the logistical issues of getting the van on/off the ferry and home on the other side. The balance of Dolmen may just cover you to get home as passengers and you can arrange to collect the van at a future date - not ideal but more cost effective than getting it home and repairing at home. Also availability of parts or a replacement engine is likely to be better in France I would expect. Can you postphone your return ferry crossing for a future date?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #11
No problem getting on and off the ferry as the tugs will give you a tow on and tow it off this side,
Seen that one evening with a van and dodgy clutch facing the ramp,

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #12
Thanks for all the replies and the offers to help. To answer some of the questions. We are not due to return until 26th of September so a bit of time still and we can change this if necessary. Also a friend back home has offered to come and get us with his jeep and trailer for 15k. So we'll wait and see what the garage says on Wednesday but definitely will get it repaired here if possible instead of repatriation. The van is 05 Peugeot Boxer 2.1 HDI. Worth keeping and getting repaired. Only 45k miles on the engine!

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #13
Joe, you would be very unlucky to suffer major engine failure on an HDi @45k unless it is cambelt related. You have a bit of time on your side and a plan B option so hopefully it will not be serious and that you get it fixed before the 26th.

Top cat
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #14
Hello Joe,

We were in a similar situation in Laval a few years ago. Timing belt broke. A French company who delivers machinery for Keenan's in Carlow brought us from Laval to Cherbourg for €500 on a low loader.( I'm sorry I don't remember name but maybe ring Keenans in Bagnelstown Carlow and ask them for company name ) And we got it fixed at home. Failing above have you a contact in the haulage business at home? They would have contacts in France in that work. It might be a another option. Someone will pull it onto the ferry and pull it off again in Rosslare.
I'm a bit cynical about garages. If engine repaired in France, I think it only has to get to Cherbourg when any guarantee runs out. I would try to get home if costs were reasonable at all.
We were quoted between €1500 and €5000 to repair our engine when belt broke.
Maurice

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #15
Quote by 2424

Joe, you would be very unlucky to suffer major engine failure on an HDi @45k unless it is cambelt related. You have a bit of time on your side and a plan B option so hopefully it will not be serious and that you get it fixed before the 26th.

Awful news. Would tend to agree with Allan. Hopefully it's not as serious and from a cost view a lot cheaper than repatriation costs quoted. As has been said also if it needs a replacement engine it should be more available over there. Hope it all works out for you.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #16
Hi Joe,sorry to hear that the waggons moby dick. Why do you want to go to Cherbourg, when it is only 90 miles,150 km to St Malo. which is also served by Irish Ferries,It is no problem to phone up and because of your problems get them to change your booking there is always room this time of year.Then I would go into Vannes Tourist Office and get the phone numbers of the Depanage Companies (Breakdown)in the area and start phoning around for quotes. Moving broken down motorhomes is an everyday job in France because there is so many. If you have a laptop get on to Skype and it will save you a lot on phone calls. Best of luck.

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #17
Thanks again for all the replies and support. I will probably go to Roscoff if I have to be recovered. Regarding the actual problem,I had the timing belt done last year, about 7k miles ago. The guy who picked us up said it seemed fine. However just after I had it done last year it jumped a tooth about 50 miles up the road and broke a couple of rockers. That was when we were on the way to France last time! Seemed doomed with these French trips. But still wondering what the issue might be this time. Any thoughts.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #18
Sorry Joe ,I meant Roscoff , its got to be nearer than Cherbourg.but getting prices is still a good bet as. If they are not busy say mid week ,you could get a good price and park on the dock till the ship comes in

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #19
Joe unfortunatly Irish ferries only sail from Cherbourg at this time of year,the last sailing from Roscoff was yesterday,If you are looking to sail from Roscoff you can still do so with Brittany ferries into Cork either on the 22nd or 29th sept.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #20
Quote by joeirish

But still wondering what the issue might be this time. Any thoughts.

Its not uncommon for the waterpump to sieze up on these engines causing the timing belt to strip a few teeth.Changed mine recently because I thought the engine sound had changed slightly after aprox 5000 miles in use, on closer inspection the bearing in it was not sounding so good so I replaced the waterpump all pullies and belts.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #21
Any news on repairs or repatriation, hope all going well

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #22
joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #23
Latest update. The garage took the engine apart yesterday and this morning. Just back ftom there (had to move out of the van into an airbnb place while it was in the workshop) They found one dropped valve which has destroyed the engine. They say it's unrepairable and needs replacing. They've quoted €7500 for this. Having a bit of a sit down at the moment to consider my options. Can't seem to find another mechanic in this area who speaks English and I don't know enough French.

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #24
I have a friend who might be able to get the van back to home in Clare but that'd probably cost best part of €2k and then another €2.5k to have the engine replaced back home. Van is worth about €17 to €20k so worth repairing but very costly.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #25
€7500 is a crazy price.
Recovery home sounds like the option to go for, someone with a large bed recovery truck seems he sensible way to go.
Not s nice situation to find yourself in.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #26
I've always heard that no new is good news.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #27
Quote by joeirish

. They've quoted €7500 for this.

Maybe he was trying to buy the van. That's a crazily stupid price.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #28
Maybe offer e 3500 and see what happens sounds like screw the tourist best of luck with it anyway

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #29
That must be a quote for a new engine! You need to find a translator who will fight your corner. Ridiculous price. Is there anyway to get her to the ferry terminal with a local break down company.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #30
Joe ,seems to me that garage is trying to get one over on you now that's its stripped down . Now thinking back to my old trucking days ,I think the law in France is you are not allowed to tow on a rope but you are permitted to tow on a stiff bar and you are not allowed to go on the AutoRoute. So if you can get anybody with a large jeep or such like then by staying on ordinary roads you can tow you to Cherbourg and home. Make sure to bring a large strong box to put the engine bits in. Best of Luck

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #31
So I've spent the afternoon trying to find another garage who might give me a price. Only found one even willing to quote and he was even higher. Only seem to be able to get quotes for factory reconditioned here. So now trying to find somebody to get me back to Cherbourg as my friends trailer turns out to be not big enough. That's tomorrows job. I'll try earlier suggestions on this thread. Any more?

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #32
Hi,
Sorry about the bad news.
I recently had to replace the engine in our 06 Ducato due to the timing belt snapping.
As a reference I got a replacement engine from a breaker in Newry for £750 with comparable mileage. Then had it fitted with a replacement timing belt etc for another €800/ €900.
At one stage I looked at the cost of a new Ducato engine and it was €7500.... Not an option for me.
As suggested by others, a translator is needed and someone who knows about breaker yards in France as there should be many more available in France etc than here.
Also, when looking for an engine it is often the case that the engine is used in other makes etc my replacement came from and Iveco.
Best of luck.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #33
Sorry to hear about your engine. Is there any possibility of contacting the CARAVAN AND CAMPING CLUB (UK), they are a huge club and must have some contacts. I wish you all the best,hope you will be sorted soon.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #34
I understand you plight.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we blew a car engine 13 years ago in France. We were quoted €3000 for a replacement engine which caused me to go weak at the knees. However after a dutch couple kindly translated for us, we realised that the replacement engine was brand new factory produced. It was also explained to us that in France a secondhand engine is always supplied reconditioned and rebuilt. The French seemly don't believe in swaping an engine without rebuilding it. We ended up scrapping the car in France.
The important thing here is to get someone to translate for you. Maybe try a local bar/cafe or tourist office, a staff member may appreciate an extra €20 in their pocket for a phone call or two.
For recovery to Ireland, an option could be to contact your ferry company. Most truck haulage companies use a freight broker/ shipping agent to organise the ferry times and source a back haul for the return trip. The ferry company should have a list of freight brokages on their books which they may supply to you. With the list, you may be able find a competitive price for the journey home.
Wish you well.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #35
This is a long shot, but you just never know.

Lorry drivers know a lot of lorry drivers, this guy has been brilliant with me in the past fro delivering from England, he just might know someone that could help, someone with a flatbed lorry perhaps... worth a shot?

http://eamonmclaughlin.com/

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #36
Ring Victor Tracey international
He is a shipping agent and might be able to help as Malcolm suggested

Bangalstown

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #37
Quote by mad max

Ring Victor Tracey international
He is a shipping agent and might be able to help as Malcolm suggested

Bangalstown

I was racking my brains for the above guy. Thanks madmax, I can relax now. The above guy operates the same town as Kennans as someone mentioned earlier.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #38
ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #39
Sorry to hear of your troubles but if i were in your situation i would be trying to get a recovery service to get me to Cherbourg,try a recovery service like, ( www.autoroutes.fr/en/breakdown-service.htm ) once your are home then you will have time to make the right decission.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #40
If you can get it to Rosslare I am only about 10 miles from there and you can leave it here till you figure out your best options. Wouldn't be a problem to get you towed to my place.
Best of luck,don't make a hasty decision. €7500 is crazy money

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.