MAURICE
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Howth stopover.

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #41
Stayed there last nite as well and got the flyer on the windscreen too.left as soon as i read it at 9am wont be back.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #42
We got it earpierced in the week and we won't be back either. Spent almost 80 EUROS in a restaurant and bar so it's their loss. We will head for Skerries in future. Hit them where it hurts.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #43
Agreed Jack......
But it's sad that the actions of a few unscrupulous motorhomers can have such a detrimental effect on the many that don't cause problems.... makes you angry.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #44
Quote by jacktherev

We got it earpierced in the week and we won't be back either. Spent almost 80 EUROS in a restaurant and bar so it's their loss. We will head for Skerries in future. Hit them where it hurts.

Did you speak to an "official" from the Harbour Masters Office?

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #45
Quote by JJF

Agreed Jack......
But it's sad that the actions of a few unscrupulous motorhomers can have such a detrimental effect on the many that don't cause problems.... makes you angry.

Totally agree..the few always ruin it for the rest of us. It will be a great loss for us but also for the restaurant's etc that were frequently visited by the many decent motorhomers that stopped over.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Howth stopover.

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #46
Will someone please explain to me what is on the flyer's because no matter what I do I can't make it big enough to read .
As I intend to go out when I get home next week to buy my regular 100 € worth of fish from Malory's .and would like to here what they have to say before I give in my order.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Howth

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #47
What the notice says ,when the vehicle does not fit inside the parking spaces,blocking the green footpath,parking in areas for fishing industrial or commercial use ,and a few other notes ,but if you look at the pictures which I posted this van and caravan have been parked there for years so is one rule for one and one rule for another ,what annoyed me most then the little p....k hadn't the nerve to knock on the door to tell us to go , I will be writing to the local Howth paper to tell them how discussed I was the whey the Spanish Motorhome where treated ,this is a very good example of how not to bring tourists to Ireland ,I pointed them in the direction of carlingford as they are coming up north and want to visit Newcastle on there way

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Howth

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #48
Quote by hillton9

I will be writing to the local Howth paper

Already done it. Northside People will have a look at it next week.

Also emailed the Department for a copy of the Regulations and Traffic Management Plan that the Harbour Master is trying to implement

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #49
There's 2 threads running on this

Can an Admin merge them please

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Howth Stopover

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #50
Quote by Eamonn

There's 2 threads running on this

Can an Admin merge them please

Just merged them into one topic (this one). Best keeping it in one thread.
Thanks for the heads up.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #51
What the notice says

Notice
Unauthorised Vehicles within Howth FHC
64. The Minister may cause to be designated in any suitable manner, places at which, and periods time during which, vehicles however propelled, or boats, parked in a port. Vehicles or boats, which are at, or in a place in a port other than in a place designated, or for periods of time in excess of those laid down in this Bye-law may be removed by the Harbour Master to another place within the port. The owners of such vehicles or boats shall be liable for the cost of their removal and storage.

77. General No person shall commit a nuisance in a port.

78. No person shall obstruct a port officer in the execution of his duties.

Extract from Schedule 2 of the rates and charges order -

SI 214 of 2012 - Fisheries Harbour Centres (Rates and Charges) Order 2012
SI 214 of 2012

(You can look up the charges on the link)

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #52
Sent a letter to the Howth journal hope they print it

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #53
My main concern is for our European counterparts visiting Howth. Can someone update the reviews on the app with a note saying to contact the Harbour office by phone before arriving in Howth.
A dozen phone calls a day would force a public statement from the office and then we would know where we stand.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #54
ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #55
Sad news about Howth but cannot say that it was unexpected, lots of people now crowing about the free parking at Skerries well let us see how long that welcome stays in place. It is sad folks but when something is for free there is no better community than motorhomers to totally destroy it,(sad but true)

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #56
Quote by ntg

Sad news about Howth but cannot say that it was unexpected, lots of people now crowing about the free parking at Skerries well let us see how long that welcome stays in place. It is sad folks but when something is for free there is no better community than motorhomers to totally destroy it,(sad but true)

I have to agree we will never make headway with new aires in key places if we expect them for nothing. A charge of 10 euro per night will attract a more responsible Motorhomer and clamp the offenders and then we might get a decent nights sleep without been hassled by wardens etc. For God sake we are on Holidays and don't nee this crap.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #57
It is sad from a motorhomers point of veiw. From what I can gather, is that one state agency or another basically want to turn Howth into a park and ride facilities for commuters.
I know that Ally is incognito at the moment, but can the administrators send correspondence to Mr T Boughan, since he has lodged an objection to the government, explaining our loss and also maybe point out chasson suggestion.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #58
After spending a few nights in Cobh and talking to a few locals there was a meeting to put charges in place but the good folk in Cobh rejected calls for charges saying that it would stop people. Coming

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #59
Well in my opinion the ones that it would stop coming could well be done without, they are in my opinion free loaders who want everything for nothing and do not give a dam about other people's property or respect for locals.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #60
Four and a half years ago that article.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #61
I agree I would spend 40 euro to stay in Cobh I think it is such a good spot plus if I wanted to stay for free the enemies cousin lives there and we could park the camper there but I would prefer down at the harbour

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #62
Eamonn, the article maybe 4 years old but the minsteral order is dated 2012. There is quite a few articles published in different papers since about 2005 onwards. The lastest article that I have read is about the Audit General (Government accountant ) expects an income yield of €450,000 per year from pay parking, dated 2016.
Another thing that I am turning up is an expected dredging programme for Howth harbour due to be announced soon. This is to allow bigger boats to access the harbour.
Malcolm

shli256
Subject:

Howth harbour fliers

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #63
I stayed there last monday and Tuesday night, in the morning notices were on the larger motor homes, none on mine! I've a small campervan ford transit. After staying in wicklow came back to Howth on Thursday woke up on friday with a notice on windscreen! I seen the harbour master with loads of notices in his jeep, i called him over and asked him why he gave me the notice? He said they started doing this 2 weeks ago and i would have to move! Even though my van fits the parking bay with no over hang! I was the only van left that morning.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #64
They clearly don't want Motorhomes staying over- it's a pity there is no national policy on this, maybe we all need to lobby Failte Ireland to develop a strategy- I know they did something years ago but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere since. The sad thing is Howth will lose a lot of loyal and valuable trade from a pretty trouble-free demographic!

MAURICE
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #65
I was parked to the left of you last nite and also got the flyer so i just left . it was only a stopover for us on the way south.wont be back.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #66
I think Howth gets the business anyway so the businesses won't care hope I'm wrong

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #67
I think your wrong one lost meal is worth 30 euro plus wine add that up 3x5 and that's only a small amount what we put into howth, if they don't want my money I won't give it to them

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #68
I think that the point that is being missed here is that for sure the local business community will see a difference, it was the volume of free loaders that did not know when it was time to move on that was the problem.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Carlingford

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #69
We are at carling ford and I'm so glad to say the Spanish folk that were put of the harbour in howth have arrived here we've had a chat with them and hope to have a glass of wine later will keep you updated

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #70
After researching Howth Harbour a bit, it's under the control of the dept. of marine and Mr Michael Creed is the minister responsible. The Department seems to have made a decision to stop overnight parking regardless wether your are a motorhomer or not. Unfortunately for local businesses the Department of marine is not concerned about their needs for business. For a long time Howth harbour has been losing money and this situation is a result of the harbour been forced to find a financial viability plan for the future. This current action is a result of over 10 years of planning according to some of the articles that I have read.
Maybe they are looking at the same model as is exercised at Galway docklands. Maybe it's a total ban on MH.
To be honest I don't know. Can someone responsible for this forum made inquiries to the Harbour Master as to what their long term plan is?

Malcolm

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #71
We were at Carlingford on Friday night and left Saturday afternoon. We had the best Indian meal on Friday night that we've had for a long time with great service. Definitely if you like Indian food when you are staying a Carlingford a visit to the Restaurant is a must. We will be back great value for 10 euros and then 10% off the meal.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #72
Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #73
We could always ring Joe....

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #74
Quote by Thorn123

It is sad from a motorhomers point of veiw. From what I can gather, is that one state agency or another basically want to turn Howth into a park and ride facilities for commuters.
I know that Ally is incognito at the moment, but can the administrators send correspondence to Mr T Boughan, since he has lodged an objection to the government, explaining our loss and also maybe point out chasson suggestion.

that article was from 2013 malcolm, i dont know if broughan is even still around

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #75
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Quote by Thorn123

that article was from 2013 malcolm, i dont know if broughan is even still around

just checked, he is still an independant td for the area

marineboy
My Motorhome: Rapido
Subject:

Need to calm down

· 
Posted: 20.07.2017  ·  #76
I parked overnight in Howth on 5th July 2017 with no problem. I actualy saw the harbourmaster in his vehicle at 730 in the morning and he didn't cast my van, a 7 m Rapido a second glance. I spoke to a South African who seemed to live permanently in a home made converted transit and he told me that the authorities were getting heavy with him. The small caravans referred to in previous posts belong to some of the fishing boat crews. I personally believe that if you park in the bay's, don't overhang pavements and walkways, don't litter the place and don't empty grey tanks you should be ok. I would caution against any confrontation with the harbour master, simply show respect and give him his place. J :-)

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #77
Anyone stayed there recently?

roving rooster
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #78
I am staying tonight in T5 Vw camper. Phoned harbour Master and he said no problem if your inside the parking lines. Will let you know if there is any hassle.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #79
No use to me as I would be outseide the parking bays. Anyway I'm going to Skerries and Howth are losing the €100 odd euros I usually spend in the restaurant and bar.

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #80
I wouldn't be within the parking bays either as we have a 6 berth Challenger.

We're from Dublin and hubby won't consider Skerries as too residential, we know people living there etc, so he doesn't consider it suitable for a night or 2 away. Pity as it has far more for children than Howth...

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.