ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Howth stopover.

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #1
Heard from someone that the harbour master in Howth is going around putting flyers on campers telling them not to park on the harbour. Apparently some idiot was seen dumping his cassette over the wall.
Anyone hear or know of anything??

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Howth stopover.

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #2
Was there yesterday for a few hours. There's a couple of old campers there and an old caravan, one which had an EHU.

Sounds like discrimination if you ask me. Either everyone is entitled to park there or no one is.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #3
i agree, but this was overnighters getting the leaflets on the screen. i will try and get more info.

philstoke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido 786F
Base Vehicle: 03 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #4
I hope some idiot hasn't spoilt it for everyone else, we were hoping to stay there next week for 2 or 3 days to travel by train into Dublin and area
What about parking elsewhere in the car park, any problems with that

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #5
just seen another poster saying that he was approached last night by the harbour master and told his MH was too long. I cant get any more info, but ill try.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #6
We were thinking of stopping there ourselves tomorrow night but probably won't now ,not worth the hassle.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #7
but surely as a camper, having the same rights as a car, you can park in the car parking area with the lanes marked out?

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #8
I'd ask the Harbour Master to quote the Bye Law you are breaking. there doesn't appear to be any at present
Dáil Queston by Éamon Ó Cúiv

It looks like they have an issue with DART commuters during the working week as well

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #9
But surely if your Motorhome is to long for the present parking area then it is only common sense not to park there regardless of any bye laws.
When i was there last we parked in the area out at the end of the pier which is no longer available to Motorhomes.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Howth parking

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #10
Have tried ringing the harbour master must be closed will ring him tomorrow and see what is going on ,as we are going south next week and we're hopeing to stay a few days in howth

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #11
I don't know the parking arrangements in Howth and correct me If I am wrong, is the Harbour master responsible for what go on on a working harbour, are some of the Motorhomes causing obstruction when too many are there? I know the Motorhomes benefit Restaurants and bars etc, What asset are they to the Harbour master? if none, I think you are only hassling him by phoning him, texting him and emailing him. I know if I was the Harbour master and vehicles were in the way of me doing my daily work and people of no benefit to me were tormenting me by phoning mailing and texting I would hunt the lot of them out.
Hopefully I am missing something or the Harbour master have more patience than me.
I suppose what I am trying to say is we need to thread carefully, I am sure he has more to be doing than answering emails, parking Motorhomes or putting stickers on Windscreens. (you have heard of the straw that broke the camels back)
Hopefully I have assessed this wrong and we don't have anything to worry about.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #12
I think your right in what you are saying Pat. The Harbour Master main role is over seeing a working environment and the boats using the harbour along with access to the harbour by employees, delivery/collection truck etc. People forget as to how much room an artic truck or a ridge and drag trailer need to manoeuvre in and out of a place. The recommended turning circle for an artic is 16.5 metres in radius.
There is a gravel yard in Dunmore East on the cliffs over the harbour which has a small compound at the end of it for storing fishing gear. The Dept of agriculture and marine has banned overnight parking there since last spring because truck couldn't access the compound due to campers in the way.
People need to be diplomatic in a situation like this.
Malcolm

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Howth

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #13
Hi pat if you look on google earth at Howth you will get a better idea of the outlay,if there are parking spaces why can't I park in them I have seen cars parked in the one spot for 3/4 days at howth but there not moved on🤔

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #14
First I must say I am on your side Robert. But you must admit there is a difference between a vw t5 camper and a 40' winnabago rv, both can claim that they are entitle to park in a car space but if the larger vehicle is sticking out half way across the Road it is going to piss off the harbour master. I don't think he will have any issues if you park your vehicle in a manner that don't obstruct or cause a nuisance. All it takes is a little common sense.
I will look up google maps tonight when on the laptop

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #15
ive been to howth a couple of times, no hassel. ive seen plenty of vans parked, well away from any interference of the working of the harbour. Again, i was looking at another site and a couple of members were saying yet again, that the harbour master was chasing them away. i,m going to check further details.

philstoke
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #16
The main car parks and access roads seem to have plenty of parking bays marked out, is there a problem parking there or is it people just want a more scenic view

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #17
THE FOLLOWING IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM ANOTHER SITES MEMBER.

There never was a problem at Howth long vans are told to park parallel with the wall or further up the pier so as not to hinder or obstruct any one, small to average size in parking bays some over zealous parker took it upon him self and appointed him self as spokes man for motor homers thought he would attack this person and in the process got others to gang up on this person. He made an ass hole out of him self for the harbour master told him to park parallel to the wall.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #18
I came across this on bakebook and thought I would post it here to see if anyone can shed a little light on it. The pictures explain themselves to a certain extent so it may take a conversation with the harbour master to clarify the position. Apologies for the size, order and quality but its where they were lifted from.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #19
is that no campervans or caravans sign recent??

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #20
Cars are not being charged and trucks are definitely not being charged €5 per hour.

It's selective quoting of regulations that are not enforced.

If the Harbour Master want's to enforce the Regulation quoted he /she must enforce it all.

That would put a charge on private cars from 8am to 8 pm, that'll get some response

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #21
Looking at the pictures the Fat Controller posted first thing struck me is it's the Acting Harbour Master that is flexing his / her muscles.

Secondly parking is €1 per hour from 8am to 8pm daily so overnight is free.

Offer them the €1 per hour and ask for an official receipt

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #22
What about 10 Euro per night? I bet that will get rid of a lot of the obstruction .

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #23
I was speaking to a friend, who's not a member of Motorhome Craic, and he believes that the problem has been caused by vans overhanging working area side and basically not allowing access to boats etc. They have been putting leaflets on windscreen of vehicles causing problems. Apparently they have also targeted cars that have been parked up for long periods. There has also been sign put up at entrance to harbour road stating no caravans and campervans.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #24
I have been to Howth a few times now there are two caravans which have been parked there for at least 4years and I still believe that they are still there this is what's called overstaying your welcome wonder what the horbour master has to say about them 🤔

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #25
There seems to be a lot of I heard from a guy who heard from a guy going on , the no camper stickers are homemade from some crank and not official and as long as we park sensibly there should be no problems it is a working harbour and respect this in every way possible including moving elsewhere if you have no respectful place to park and has been said don't pester the harbour master

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #26
The caravans propbably belong to the Harbour Master? 😂

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #27
Quote by eirebus

There seems to be a lot of I heard from a guy who heard from a guy going on , the no camper stickers are homemade from some crank and not official and as long as we park sensibly there should be no problems it is a working harbour and respect this in every way possible including moving elsewhere if you have no respectful place to park and has been said don't pester the harbour master

Absolutely agree that ensuring your vehicle is contained within parking area is crucial. As was mentioned previously big difference between campervan and Winnebago. As for the sign at the entrance is it definitely unofficial and the leaflets placed on windscreens of both cars and Motorhomes, as in John's post, are they unofficial as well?

philstoke
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #28
I'm sure if contacted the person in an earlier link should be able to calm things down and stop somebody overstepping their powers, especially as he realises how much tourism would be lost locally.
Simon Coveney (Minister, Department of Agriculture, the Marine and Food; Cork South Central, Fine Gael)

I would have thought the main car park is used mainly by people travelling from the station as well as visiting, does the railway company have anything to do with parking

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #29
It probably better to contact a TD/councillor local to Howth for a responses as it seems to me that fact, legend and "what's if" has became part of this thread. A local representive should be able to make discreet inquiries with out stepping unto any toes.

philstoke
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2017  ·  #30
Anyone visited Howth to see what the situation really is

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2017  ·  #31
No update as haven't been there in a number of weeks.

My mum was in Howth the weekend before last and said that there were a few motorhomers with tables and chairs out, drinking their own alcohol at 2pm on a Saturday, blocking car parking spaces. No surer way to give all motorhomers a bad name among Howth businesses and the general public, never mind fisherman and the Harbour Master. Not surprised the signs were put up to be honest.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.07.2017  ·  #32
Quote by AdiH

No update as haven't been there in a number of weeks.

My mum was in Howth the weekend before last and said that there were a few motorhomers with tables and chairs out, drinking their own alcohol at 2pm on a Saturday, blocking car parking spaces. No surer way to give all motorhomers a bad name among Howth businesses and the general public, never mind fisherman and the Harbour Master. Not surprised the signs were put up to be honest.

thats terrible. we will be down there probably this weekend so will check it out also.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2017  ·  #33
hoping to stay in howth next monday night...anyone have an update on it.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2017  ·  #34
Quote by jetty

hoping to stay in howth next monday night...anyone have an update on it.

Havent heard any further comments regarding the harbourmaster. From what i could make out, it seemed to be a problem on 1 night with a large motorhome parked wrong, and someone got mouthy.
Probably just a storm in a teacup.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2017  ·  #35
thanks.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2017  ·  #36
Quote by jetty

thanks.

if theres a problem staying there, take a spin down to skerries, about 40 minutes away.
loads of free parking, nice pubs, eateries, views

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2017  ·  #37
Certainly if Howth carry on as they are doing, we will go and spend our money in Skerries where we are wanted.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Howth a no no

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #38
Howth definitely a Motorhome black spot take it from me don't go near it we stayed last night we were in cobh and called at greystones couldn't park so drove to Howth arriving at 6.00 no Motorhomes on the pier about 4 more turned up after us all in all about 6at most ,we went got something to eat back to the camper and bed woke up with this stuck under the wiper as had all the other campers I went to speak to a few of them and two had come over from Spain,they ask me what was happing as they wanted to stay and go into Dublin,so they went to see the harbour master only to be told they had to move , I was hoping the harbour would come round so I could show him these
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #39
thats really bad news. howth was always a spot where there were plenty of campers. maybe park down at the car park as opposed to the harbour.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #40
The operative word in that flyer is "may" not "has". It also states that it is a Ministerial function because "The Minister may cause .....".

Has anyone contacted the relevant Department?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.