Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 19.04.2017  ·  #41
Jim, I was thinking of heading that way myself but have to attend a funeral in Magherafelt on Friday afternoon. So its TITTS for the remainder of the week, Drum Manor and then along the Antrim Coast at the weekend. Is there many there?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2017  ·  #42
Jim,
I have heard the Guinness is nice in the hotel ;-)

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2017  ·  #43
Quote by Sicknote

And the council worker showed me the plastic man hole, or should that be person hole cover.

To be Politically Correct They are now Access Chambers....................................

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2017  ·  #44
Quote by Sicknote

At Portumna now. 6 vans here. Having some difficulty uploading the pics to MHC for some reason. So will upload when I get better internet. I will say a bloody good job done here. Toilet block showers spotless. Fresh water tap every 20 feet or so. Grey water drive over emptying. And the council worker showed me the plastic man hole, or should that be person hole cover where you can empty the black. Taps are screw thread connections. Lovely scenery and a peaceful, at the moment, location.

Are there many Motorhomes there, Jim?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2017  ·  #45
Quote by Sicknote

At Portumna now. 6 vans here.

Quote by CHAUSSON

Are there many Motorhomes there, Jim?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2017  ·  #46
Jim (sicknote) having internet probs whilst touring about, so here are his Portumna photos.

MH bays aren't level. I'm at the top of the ramps at the front. Still high at the back
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2017  ·  #47
More of Jims Photos

cecil
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2017  ·  #48
We stayed in Portumna on Tuesday night. Got a smart card from waterways Ireland for €6.35 for ten units used this for electric and showers. There were 6 vans when we stayed lovely spot very quiet and about ten min walk into town.

davidrory

Subject:

Update.

· 
Posted: 23.04.2017  ·  #49
I live the other end of Lough Derg so called in to have a look at the new facility at Portumna. There where twenty or so vans there. I spoke to a few owners and some seemed unimpressed. Why levelers are needed on a new park is a mystery. The 10 euro overnight charge payable at ticket machines is not yet working so it's still free unless you want to hook up. And why do we have to pay for so view facilities? Boats and cars don't. The general standard of the park seems a little ramshackle and why no bins or any disposal facility? For what are we expected to pay? Nevertheless it's good to see a new dedicated site. One wonders what will happen when summer comes and cars start to park in the camper spots?
Portumna has height barriers at the other water sports park nearby - why?

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2017  ·  #50
Quote by davidrory

I live the other end of Lough Derg so called in to have a look at the new facility at Portumna. There where twenty or so vans there. I spoke to a few owners and some seemed unimpressed. Why levelers are needed on a new park is a mystery. The 10 euro overnight charge payable at ticket machines is not yet working so it's still free unless you want to hook up. And why do we have to pay for so view facilities? Boats and cars don't. The general standard of the park seems a little ramshackle and why no bins or any disposal facility? For what are we expected to pay? Nevertheless it's good to see a new dedicated site. One wonders what will happen when summer comes and cars start to park in the camper spots?
Portumna has height barriers at the other water sports park nearby - why?

Hi David,

So 10 euro has been decided,when I was there at the opening no price had been decided,also I parked without levelers and my van was level,the only fault i had with it is that 18 bays is not enough,as far as I know the boats have to pay mooring fees,but I could be wrong.As regards bins I think they are a thing of the past people are expected to bring there rubbish home with them

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2017  ·  #51
Ken, I don' think the fee has been decided yet. Well at least I hope not as 10e is steep. Bins would be good but the reality is people abuse them leaving rubbish beside them when full (see my comment about Galway docks last week). In different locations where bins are available I've seen people pull up in cars are literally dump bags and bags of household rubbish. Regular occurrence early morning and late evening at Keel on Achill. I've also seen it at Ballintoy. People came from the house in the corner and dumped two big black bags of rubbish in the open bin. And guess what, Motorhomes no longer allowed to overnight there.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2017  ·  #52
Galway Bay FM news,Portumna 10euro per day, max stay 3 days,NO generators

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2017  ·  #53
Do you know when they are starting to charge, Ken?

Mayo1
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2017  ·  #54
Stayed at Portumna Wednesday (9 MHs) night and Thursday (11 MHs) night. Great set up and good facilities. Access to drive over dump for grey water closed off by barriers this morning. Don't know why.

Rowlands
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2017  ·  #55
It opened at the beginning of May - haven't been there but saw it in the Galway Advertiser!

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #56
Visited Portumna last Saturday for an overnight. Lovely facility, didn't use the EHU as we didn't have a WI Card and didn't need it. Not sure if there is some animosity in the town towards the whole idea, I got the impression from a couple of the van owners that there wasn't the warmest of welcomes in the town, which goes to show how much difference between the attitude here and on mainland Europe. Anyhow, hopefully it will be well supported and well maintained, it's more of this type of facility that's needed.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #57
Quote by kevinmoore

Visited Portumna last Saturday for an overnight. Lovely facility, didn't use the EHU as we didn't have a WI Card and didn't need it. Not sure if there is some animosity in the town towards the whole idea, I got the impression from a couple of the van owners that there wasn't the warmest of welcomes in the town, which goes to show how much difference between the attitude here and on mainland Europe. Anyhow, hopefully it will be well supported and well maintained, it's more of this type of facility that's needed.

Are they charging to overnight now Kevin?

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #58
Not last week but apparently it's anytime now. Something to do with bye-laws not approved yet.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2017  ·  #59
we spent last friday night in portumna, arrived about 3pm, 16 campers there at that time. By late evening there were 22, two parked at side near other campers. its an excellent facility, no charge yet, but machines for paying seemed to be working. no body seemed to use machine, so presuming its not in use yet. there were large amount of electric points and i used the waterways ireland card to get same, very good service. There were taps for water, great weather and views..very good facility and met lovely people there

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2017  ·  #60
Was there this weekend. Front row no movement and had all been there (10 bays) from mid week. Some one parked in the service bay so no dropping the grey waste. Wasn't mad about the place, people hanging around the toilets all the time chatting.
No official cassette emptying but there's a manhole at the back of the toilets you lift and let fly.

I can't see how they can charge camper vans to park and not charge cars. It appears to be a public car park so how they can get around charging one type of vehicle and not another is difficult to rationalize. Bearing in mind that all the facilities are provided by Waterways Ireland, EHU, showers, toilets, all the council has done ( and a very good job) is to provide parking bays that are wider than average.
If it was along the lines of Lough Rynn I could see it working well and being able to charge fees.

Not knocking it, just expressing an opinion

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2017  ·  #61
Quote by Eamonn

Was there this weekend. Front row no movement and had all been there (10 bays) from mid week.

Is there a maximum stay time,

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2017  ·  #62
Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by Eamonn

Was there this weekend. Front row no movement and had all been there (10 bays) from mid week.

Is there a maximum stay time,

Just reading one of my old posts(55) 3 day max.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2017  ·  #63
If they were charging the maximum you can get on the parking machine is 3 days. It's not being policed as far as i can see currently.
There is a caretaker who looks after toilets etc but he finishes in October I heard

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2017  ·  #64
Quote by Eamonn

If they were charging the maximum you can get on the parking machine is 3 days. It's not being policed as far as i can see currently.
There is a caretaker who looks after toilets etc but he finishes in October I heard

It would want to be policed properly,fines for those that wont pay and exceed the 3 day,and clamps put on those that park outside the designated area. If this happened in the beginning it would not be abused.
A private clamping firm would love the have the contract.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2017  ·  #65
I stopped for one night on my 2 week jaunt,Great facility hope it doesn't get abused as i would definitely use this again and would happily pay the €10 charge. I found the town folk friendly and used the local supermarket to renew my waterways card (had one from last trip but it had run out). There was work going on to take a bit of the concrete out of the grey water ramp and i believe a proper cassette emptying point will be built.

Millie Mouse
My Motorhome: Hobby 700
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2017  ·  #66
This looks super. Will almost definitely use it on our travels next month. We stayed at Portumna in a boat years ago and there was a charge then, so if boats pay, why shouldn't motorhomes? As always, if there are people who abuse something then it gets taken away and we all suffer. I hope this won't happen. Motorhome Aires are being removed in some villages in France because of what they call the 'Sausage Stealers'. Motorhomers who stay for weeks, taking up a bay and spending nothing. We met one such couple who had brought all their own food, including Tesco 3litre wine boxes! To FRANCE! They were so proud of the fact they'd been in France 3 weeks and only spent money on fuel. Their motor home must have cost around 80-90k. If we pay the fee, spend a few euros in the local shops/pubs or restaurants then everybody benefits and other towns say to themselves "we could do with one of those". No Sausage Stealers here please :)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 27.06.2017  ·  #67
Quote by Millie Mouse

This looks super. Will almost definitely use it on our travels next month. We stayed at Portumna in a boat years ago and there was a charge then, so if boats pay, why shouldn't motorhomes? As always, if there are people who abuse something then it gets taken away and we all suffer. I hope this won't happen. Motorhome Aires are being removed in some villages in France because of what they call the 'Sausage Stealers'. Motorhomers who stay for weeks, taking up a bay and spending nothing. We met one such couple who had brought all their own food, including Tesco 3litre wine boxes! To FRANCE! They were so proud of the fact they'd been in France 3 weeks and only spent money on fuel. Their motor home must have cost around 80-90k. If we pay the fee, spend a few euros in the local shops/pubs or restaurants then everybody benefits and other towns say to themselves "we could do with one of those". No Sausage Stealers here please :)

You know I had a very similar conversation with a local Guy in Dunmoreast a couple of months ago when he complained about a Dublin Woman parking for weekends above the Harbour having done her shopping in Lidl/Aldi and never setting foot in any of the village shops or pubs.
He said the only people who can help Motorhomers get parking places are themselves.
If you spend a little lolly then people will provide you with something to spend it on and on and on

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2017  ·  #68
I've no time for the folk who don't contribute to the local community.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #69
Have you done the walk from Dunmore East up to the campsite?

Hard enough drag yourself up it without a bag of shopping.

But yes, some people won't spend a cent once they leave home unless they have to.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #70
Quote by Eamonn

Have you done the walk from Dunmore East up to the campsite?

Hard enough drag yourself up it without a bag of shopping.

But yes, some people won't spend a cent once they leave home unless they have to.

Just two things .
I was referring to the car park the above the harbor that now is barrier-ed and was a free parking , the campsite is a different situation, even up there a loaf of bread bought across the counter in the village with the complaint of how far you have to carry it, lets them know you are there. and spending. ( most supermarkets now have a delivery service even the small ones )

If you drink down in one of the pubs, you will have to carry some of it home anyway and if your get legless, there are always the taxi :lol:

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #71
Quote by Millie Mouse

So true...if we abuse we loose. Always the few who ruin a good thing for the rest of us.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2017  ·  #72
Quote by Mayo1

Stayed at Portumna Wednesday (9 MHs) night and Thursday (11 MHs) night. Great set up and good facilities. Access to drive over dump for grey water closed off by barriers this morning. Don't know why.

Closed off to facilitate a change to the ramp which was a bit steep and causing problems for 'vans with long overhangs.
Modification now complete.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2017  ·  #73
Quote by baguette

Quote by Mayo1

Closed off to facilitate a change to the ramp which was a bit steep and causing problems for 'vans with long overhangs.

Thanks Colin,have they started charging the 10e yet.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2017  ·  #74
Don't know, only got the info about the grey water disposal point from a fellow club member who was liaising with Eanna about the issue.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #75
Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by baguette

Quote by Mayo1

Thanks Colin,have they started charging the 10e yet.

They were just finishing the ramp of when i was there just over 2 weeks ago and although the machine looked functional there was no charge.

tony2phones
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW LT46 exLWB
Base Vehicle: former School bus
Subject:

New Bylaws for/from 2018

· 
Posted: 27.11.2017  ·  #76
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2017  ·  #77
Scroll down a bit HERE to see the bye-law.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2017  ·  #78
Thanks for posting the link Colin.
Some great info there and obviously they have listened to advice.

It saved me a wasted journey to visit Portumna. Our van is well over the 6.5 meter length limit.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2017  ·  #79
And only allowed to visit once every 28 days

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2017  ·  #80
Quote by mark

Thanks for posting the link Colin.
Some great info there and obviously they have listened to advice.

It saved me a wasted journey to visit Portumna. Our van is well over the 6.5 meter length limit.

Same here, we are over the 6.5 mts.

I wonder how many this will affect and will it be enforced??

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.