Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #1
I was passing by Portumna the other day so I went to see how the improvement works are coming along. Looks almost finished. Anyone know when it reopens?

Looks like its nearly there.

Remember this side is not for us.

Bays look quite wide, plenty of room behind to reverse in and a full extra set of bays at the back.

Pity they didn't move the ugly toilet/shower block. I wonder did a get a revamp?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #2
That looks very impressive indeed.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #3
Great job by Waterways Ireland.
However they forgot to follow advice and headed off with their own thoughts on the design using boating thinking.
The design submitted to Galway Co. Co. for planning permission included EHU plus water for each bay, but no provision for disposal of grey and black water :-| . WI assumed that the vacuum suction system for boats could double as the provision for motorhomes, forgetting we have gravity emptying and cannot use/access the solution provided for emptying boat tanks.

I am assured that future designs will reflect the requirements of motorhomes and an Aire de Service type service bay will be included.
For Portumna some modification to facilitate dumping of grey and black water which do not involve non-compliance with the planning permission granted will be investigated.

Future designs will also include some form of access control to prevent inappropriate use.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #4
great to see was there a mention of what the charge will be??

60rubberduck
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Swift Escape Low Profile
Base Vehicle: 2.2 Fiat Ducato Turbo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #5
Looks good. Hopefully charge will be reasonable. Defo try it out in summer months.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #6
looks great, hope to try it out in summer

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2017  ·  #7
While they might not have everything done just yet it looks like a bloody good start,the rest can be done later. They should get praise for the work done so far and if other council areas were to follow then that would be a major benefit to us all.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #8
The bays dont look any bigger then a car size bay

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #9
Quote by TAYLOR.

The bays dont look any bigger then a car size bay

When I was there I thought they looked wider than the ones along the wall. But in the photo not so much. I'd say they are a little bit wider than the normal miserable width ones in most carparks. Plenty of room to reverse your rear end over the grass which is very important.

Anyone know when it is scheduled to reopen?

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #10
Passed by today, looks like it's open even though the signs are still covered over, looks really well
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #11
Where would this be please

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #12
It officially opens on Monday and will be full this weekend and Monday, please do not head there this weekend.

I expect a full report with pictures from those members from MHC that were invited and whom are representing us all. :)

Hint: :) - forum/topic.php?t=13973

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #13
great to get an update on portumna

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #14
Quote by Ally

It officially opens on Monday and will be full this weekend and Monday, please do not head there this weekend.

I expect a full report with pictures from those members from MHC that were invited and whom are representing us al

Oops, sorry for puting the two feet in it, live locally annd was just upfront a Sunday walk, it's a lovely place

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2017  ·  #15
Quote by Ally

I expect a full report with pictures from those members from MHC that were invited and whom are representing us all. :)

Hint: :) - forum/topic.php?t=13973

I sent you a message on Viber yesterday Ally, I won't be able to make it, if there is anyone else available at this late stage pm Ally.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2017  ·  #16
I was there for MHC. Portumna was at its best today but due to my crappy broadband you guys will have to wait until tomorrow for more photos.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2017  ·  #17
Some more photos

Plenty of EHU and water points.

These bays aren't the longest so you really need to back in so that you can overhang on the grass. Only problem is the road isn't the widest so it's a bit tight.

A view from the front. Much easier to get in this side.

Boats and Campers.

As I said, Portumna was looking the part.

MoS Sean Canney

The speeches.

A rare, but very welcome, sighting in this part of the world.

There is also a drive over facility for the emptying of grey water but I forgot to take a pic.

There are a few things I would have done differently but overall I thing it is great. Personally, I am delighted to see this development and fair play to Waterways Ireland, Galway Co. Co. and most especially the people of Portumna for welcoming the development of Campervan parking and not a height barrier.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 11.04.2017  ·  #18
Now there is somewhere for Councils and local authorities to go on a Junket to with a big note pad .

Rosie and jim
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest 155
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2017  ·  #19
Looks great, definitely visit during the summer 🚐🅿

cecil
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #20
Saw this post at the weekend about Portumna we are heading there on Easter Tuesday never been before looks like a good spot. Looking forward to it.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Portumna

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #21
:up: This is great at long last counsels are seeing what moterhomes can bring to there area,must give it a visit

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #22
Quote by hillton9

:up: This is great at long last counsels are seeing what moterhomes can bring to there area,must give it a visit

Who actually built it? Was it the council?, I heard someplace that it was Waterway Ireland. Well whoever built it we are greatful, my only concern is there is only 18 spaces and I believe in the past there could be more than twice that amount of vans parked there on a good summers day. If that happens now there will be trouble ahead and it won't attract others to build new Aires also it will not go down too well with the regulars that are going there for years

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #23
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by hillton9

Who actually built it? Was it the council?, I heard someplace that it was Waterway Ireland. Well whoever built it we are greatful, my only concern is there is only 18 spaces and I believe in the past there could be more than twice that amount of vans parked there on a good summers day. If that happens now there will be trouble ahead and it won't attract others to build new Aires also it will not go down too well with the regulars that are going there for years

I was there representing MHC Thanks Ally for the invite.It is a great Aires and it was funded by Galway County Council,Waters-way Ireland, and Bord Failte. It could have been made bigger they have the room, 18 spaces is not enough, already over the weekend 3 vans were parked in the public car park taking up 6 spaces. They were parked under the signs which said NO MOTOR HOME PARKING. If this continues i can see the locals and the boat owners unhappy about the situation.There was a parking warden but as far as i could see he said nothing to them, so if it continues to happen i can see it closing again.
They are talks of a charge but no one is sure of the charge yet,EHU is available with the Waterways Ireland card,Shower and toilets and water and gray water disposal,but no proper chemical toilet disposal.
The 8 parking bays at the rear are very tight to get in and out off,the bays are only 6mts long but are wide enough,
I have photos to follow.

60rubberduck
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Swift Escape Low Profile
Base Vehicle: 2.2 Fiat Ducato Turbo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #24
Looks Brillo. Regularly use waterways Ireland car parks all along Shannon. Great forward thinking when a few heads are put together.
Hopefully lots more like this to follow

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #25
Great to see positive outcome for Motorhome community..Just hope it's not abused by people parking in non motorhome bays.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #26
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by hillton9

Yes, there is definitely demand for more than 18 places but unfortunately that is all that was put in. I was talking to one of the County Council officials and he was saying that it is very difficult to get support within the council for projects like this. Essentially his comment was 'nobody wants to know'. No surprises there.

Like it or not, Portunma is now going to become a test bed. If there are problem at Portumna local representative will use it as ammunition against developing further sites. Of course some of the problems, like over crowding, that might arise would be because there just aren't enough of places like Portunma (even without the facilities). But that will be a hard argument to sell if problems arise at Portumna.

So I think it incumbent on the Motorhome community to use Portumna as intended. Yes, it used to fit more than 18 vans but now it doesn't and if it is full well, move on. There are places up town that are good to park especially at weekends and Terryglass is lovely also. Naturally, it is also important to continue to lobby for more spaces at Portumna and other sites to be developed. But abuse Portumna and the only thing we will achieve is height barriers (Howth springs to mind). Remember one photo of a van parked at the wall (under the sign saying no camper parking) can do an awful lot of damage.

I know there are people in our community that are not happy about the development at Portunma. Probably more accurate to say they are not happy about the prospect of a charge being introduced. I didn't directly witness it myself (I think Ken did :) ) but I did overhear some comments and there was more than one motormouth giving out. Yes, you might have being coming here for 20 years but the reality is times change. For a start, there are now a lot more Motorhomes and unfortunately more than a few are ultra selfish and will abuse facilities where there are no controls. Like the utter gobshites that left their Motorhomes in Howth for weeks on end even when they themselves were not there. Personally, where good facilities exist I am all for a reasonable charge and sensible rules. For example a €4 overnight charge (like Galway) and a rule like no more than x nights and can't return for y nights.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #27
Sometimes this feels like talking to the converted but surely it is common sense to not over use a facility that has been put there for our convenience.
This seems like someone has taken forward a plan to promote motorhoming in this area and as waterman has said it will probably be easier to destroy relationships here than to promote them.

Hady
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B588 DL
Base Vehicle: 2.3l Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #28
Just as matter of interest what is the charge at Portumna? Great to see Councils provide such a service.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #29
Quote by ntg

Sometimes this feels like talking to the converted but surely it is common sense to not over use a facility that has been put there for our convenience.

There's motor home owners whom have used Portumna on a regular basis, and are totally against the Aires that have been provided, they told me that they didn't want it and that can't see why they have to pay for something they have had free for year's. They are blaming clubs and the likes for getting the Aires put there. Unfortunately it is these motor home owner's that will close it.

The only way I can see it working is put a charge and have it well policed, and ticket those that don'tpay and park outside the MH bays.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2017  ·  #30
Quote by Hady

Just as matter of interest what is the charge at Portumna? Great to see Councils provide such a service.

No charge at the moment, I was told a by lay has to be passed before the charge comes in, I don't know how true this is.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #31
Here we go again. Saw it last year in Ardmore during the festival when some people parked in a very busy village rather than pay €10 for the sake of safety alone.

simplybikes
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #32
Parked up in Portumna last Wednesday, absolutely fantastic. A credit to all of those involved. Yes there are a few small issues
and yes there will be a charge but overall it is will be worth every cent. Only real problem is the few gobshites who could not shut up
about how they've been there for centuries and will refuse to pay. With a bit of luck they'll find somewhere else to moan.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #33
Quote by simplybikes

Only real problem is the few gobshites who could not shut up
about how they've been there for centuries and will refuse to pay.

Dont tell they are still there, they wont move until the charges are brought in,the sooner the better.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #34
I was in curraghchase Limerick as part of a group of friends that meets up annually. Thr MH beside me was worth as least 100k driven by a pair nearer to 80 than 60, but they moaned to everyone who listen about the charges that could be introduced in Portuma.
When I mentioned that a tenner a night was a small fee for the new upgrades, the response was" well we didn't ask for the new facilities ".
Funnily we were charged 30 e for 2+2 and ehu, so the other pair had to part with at 20e if not 25e.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Portumna 2017

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #35
There is nothing as Queer as Folk.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #36
Called into Portumna on Monday on way home after the weekend. Looks great.
There were about 20 vans parked there.
Only downside is that some had parked towards the front when the allotted spaces filled. There was'nt a lot of space left for others using the Marina to park.
Perhaps it was just extra busy because of the weekend that was but if it's the same every week, I
wonder how long before complaints go to Water Ways Irl. and Campers are stopped from parking there competely.
Not liking to be a misery guts but we should also respect other users of the Marina!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #37
I totally agree with you on that one.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2017  ·  #38
Quote by Erazmus

Called into Portumna on Monday on way home after the weekend. Looks great.
There were about 20 vans parked there.
Only downside is that some had parked towards the front when the allotted spaces filled. There was'nt a lot of space left for others using the Marina to park.
Perhaps it was just extra busy because of the weekend that was but if it's the same every week, I
wonder how long before complaints go to Water Ways Irl. and Campers are stopped from parking there competely.
Not liking to be a misery guts but we should also respect other users of the Marina!

Totally agree, A good Parking warden armed with wheel clamps that would cost €70 or €80 per Day to remove would stop that.I wouldn't envy him his Job though :shock:

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2017  ·  #39
I suspect when charges come in the free loaders will leave town and who'll miss them

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2017  ·  #40
Quote by Sicknote

Leaving Ballinamore in an hour and heading to Portumna. Fingers crossed

Wonder how many Motorhomes there today?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.