sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Recomendations for a first timer.

· 
Posted: 13.04.2022  ·  #1
If a neighbor asked you, since you have a Motorhome, what you would recommend a Newbie to buy.lets say.
car license,4 berth/belts, between 2000 and 2010, based on your experience, Make, class, model.?
and what would you say, to seriously to avoid. ?

Liked by: Ally

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Recomendations for a first timer.

· 
Posted: 13.04.2022  ·  #2
My thoughts would be that regardless of make model of anything else , get someone with experience to accompany you to view and listen to their thoughts.
As the old saying goes,all that glitters is not gold.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2022  ·  #3
Hire MHs with different layouts, out of peak season.

Liked by: Ally, Europa

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2022  ·  #4
A CL Carioca cos it has a silly name😂

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2022  ·  #5
Are there makes to avoid? we have all heard the horror stories of some Motorhomes, the 'leaky kontiki', but there are more Swifts than anything else, at least there was, so that mostly explains that. I'm not sure there are any makes to avoid, maybe certain models, such as all the first Itineo's, see HERE

More so which dealer to avoid I think. A dealers reputation is paramount to your decision, nothing worse than the expense of a motorhome turning into a nightmare, for instance, Dicksons of Perth would never get my custom if they gave me a Motorhome, well maybe if it was free and I didn't have to physically pick it up, and I also think most here would stay away from them. See HERE

So, picking a dealer is very very important. Certain models may have certain issues, google google google forums forums forums. Facebook is useless for that as its a closed information blackhole.

After you decide on a dealer, a manufacturer and a model will it be right for you?

My thoughts are always....

Go with everyone who'll be staying with you, if you have kids, bring them, friends, bring them. Sit in the motorhome for more than an hour, do things you see yourself doing and things you think you might do. Make a pretend cup of tea, pretend to use the toilet, 1's and 2's. Get in the shower, can you pick up the soap?!

Get in the bed, don't just get in and get out, pretend to sleep. Whilst you're making that tea can your company get past you to go to the toilet? is this a concern?

With everyone in the Motorhome can you get off your seat, go to the fridge and get a beer? sounds daft? experienced Motorhome Owners would argue its a viable question.

How much luggage will you have for two? four? six? people? - where is it going to go? Camping chairs? where are they going? Bicycles? Shoes? Dress and Suit for going out.

Where do you plan to use the Motorhome? I could nearly guarantee it won't be where you think, so think of everything you can. Campsite, at the side of the road, at an aire, at a music festival with horrible toilets and no showers. Are you going to be the "no poo's no shoes" brigade? then probably best you save your money and use hotels, or buy a caravan and just use campsites.

Lots to consider and it will take time to get it half right, every Motorhome is a compromise, think glorified tent and you'll be doing ok.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2022  ·  #6
Are they experienced campers? Did they have a tent or caravan? What level of "bells & whistles" are they used to. We came up through tent /trailer tent then caravan. We had a top of the range caravan with all the accessories and only 4 years old. When moving to the MH we were not sure whether we would like it or not. We always used dealers for our caravans. So we looked around at all the dealers North & South. Visited about 6 or seven got a feel for them and what they had to offer. We bought an 8 year old basic model Swift and loved the MH life. We upgraded the next summer getting our money back on a trade in. Happy days since.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Recomendations for a first timer.

· 
Posted: 14.04.2022  ·  #7
My take on this would be as already said, hire one for a week, jot down, all the likes and dislikes, then hunt for whatever suits your pocket, do your research, don't get too hung up on makes and models, if you see something you like out and about, knock the door and ask about it, most people will show off their M/H.
We have a friend who has been looking for about 3 months and is only now widening the search, because they have their mind set on a particular model Hymer.

Liked by: Ally, ntg

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.