Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Dicksons of Perth buying Experience

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #1
Purchased the following van from Dicksons of Perth in October 2015 - Itineo 740JB

On our journey home from Dicksons of Perth I noticed a leak at the drivers window. Of course I immediately contacted them and they replied "that must of just happened as it was dry here"

The conversation carried on and they said to get a local dealer to fix it rather than bring it back to Dicksons of Perth.

The leak.

We enquired with Hagans Motorhomes who after a fashion said they would fix it. Made sense, they are only up the road from me.
Hagans Motorhomes were tasked to fix a leak, they fixed the leak, the wall dried out and evetrything seemed good. Plenty of damp tests with a professional damp meter and the wall remained completely dry.

We had no call to use the drop down bed at the front of the Motorhome we purchased from Dicksons Of Perth so it was May 2017 when we did use it, wanted to see how comfortable it was.

At 07:30 in the morning this happened..

Of course we were devastated and were in a bit of a predicament as obviously it made the van hard to bring home. We finally got it home and had to take the bed out as the van was unusable...

Taking the bed out required a lot of work, I think I am correct in saying that this bed would of been fitted before the roof went on. Parts of it had be broke to get it out through the habitation door.

As you can see it also damaged the other side as the angle of the bed falling pulled it of the other wall.

After the bed was out we inspected the damage.....

We have since tidied it up and made it usable while we decided what the hell to do.

We have since contacted Dicksons of Perth, it took a while to get a reply from them but this was the final offer...

I have spoken with my engineers about the reported issue and shown them the pictures you emailed to me, and in their opinion the initial minor water leak issue you reported in October 2015 has not been repaired properly thus resulting in the cause of the current issue. They also stated that there was no issue with the operation of the over-cab bed nor any of the surrounding structure at the time of the pre sales habitation PDI check.

So in my opinion you need contact Hagans Leisure as they were the company who you recommended and we paid to inspect and repair the initial reported issue which they carried out in Nov 2015, and ask them if they are prepared to help to resolve the issue.

As much as I appreciate the position you are now, in and i genuinely feel for you I don't think the issue has been caused by Dickson's. Also I do not see why it should be down to Dickson's to contribute towards the repair as you previously indicated, for one the timescale since the sale and secondly due to the fact another dealer has since carried out a repair on the Motorhome.

However if you have no luck with Hagans and as a goodwill gesture Dickson's would be prepared to carry out the repair in-house at a heavily discounted labour rate of £30 plus VAT per hour, and we would charge out any parts required at cost price. This way we could ensure that the repair has been carried out correctly and to the manufactures standard, also we would guarantee any repair work carried out for a period of 12 months.

If you wish to accept the above goodwill offer, then please either email me or call our service department on: 01738 626287 (option 2) to arrange a suitable booking date.

Now we find that totally unacceptable, with this statement they are saying that it was Hagans Motorhomes fault that the work was not carried out correctly.

I am firmly of the conclusion: Dicksons of Perth original reply "that must of just happened" is/was not correct.

In my view the damage occurred before we purchased the van, it was leaking when we bought it, a point proven by Dicksons of Perth statement and corresponding emails and by the fact that Hagans Motorhomes were tasked to fix the leak and Dicksons of Perth paid for it to be fixed.

Now the fact it has remained dry in our ownership after Hagans Motorhomes fixed the leak would assume that it did not just happen and the damage was already done before we got the van.

Hagans Motorhomes were tasked to fix a leak, they fixed the leak, Dicksons of Perth by their own admission prove there was a leak, the Motorhome has remained dry in our ownership.

So, I wonder how anyone can say that this damage was not caused previous to our ownership?

We are left with a Motorhome that has a current Market value before the damage of £35000, the way it sits I see it at a value of £28000, that is a loss of £7000.

If anyone would like a cheap 2 berth A-Class please contact us, we have had enough of the whole saga and feel really let down by Dicksons of Perth.

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Dicksons of Perth buying Experience

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #2
Jesus,that looks terrible.
Its definitely the fault of the dealer but getting satisfaction will be tough
They told you to get it repaired somewhere else

The main thing in your favour is, having met you, you're tough

Be prepared for a fight but fight fight fight.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #3
We feel your pain.

Julie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #4
We have not been out in week's, just completely disappointed in the van, don't even want to get in to it any more.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #5
Disgraceful.

Make sure you post this on every forum and social media platform you can get access to.

I'm surprised that in this day and digital age they aren't prepared to accept responsibility.

I would also try to see if they have a stand at the NEC and make sure that I was pitched outside with a placard and leaflets to warn potential customers.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #6
Quote by Julie

We have not been out in week's, just completely disappointed in the van, don't even want to get in to it any more.

Dont let it get you down.
We are out this weekend maybe get a chance to meet up Emily.x

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #7
They are offering you Nothing in that reply, Ally. they have worded it in such a way as it appears that they are trying to help you with the offer of Discounted work and it would look good for them should you take them to Court. Remember it could take them 2 hours to do a hours work wiping out the so called Discount. I think you should be looking for a replacement off them, you will have a job selling it on now that people have seen the photos. your only Customers will be someone looking for a project.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dicksons of Perth buying Experience

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #8
Blow the photos up stick them on the outside of the Motorhome , drive it to the entrance of their forecourt and park up for a long weekend, and advertise their warranty policy for them. Maybe call a Craic meet.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #9
Quote by Betty Swollocks

Disgraceful.

Make sure you post this on every forum and social media platform you can get access to.

I'm surprised that in this day and digital age they aren't prepared to accept responsibility.

I would also try to see if they have a stand at the NEC and make sure that I was pitched outside with a placard and leaflets to warn potential customers.

While you would love to do it, I think Threatening them would be a better approach and see if you can get some result, If you plaster it all over the internet you will have no more leverage with them and you will have further devalued your Motorhome.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #10
That is terrrible Ally & Julie. It makes me feel sick for you and words just fail me. For God’s sake don’t take it laying down, FIGHT Dickson’s to the bitter end. The won’t want bad publicity. Those pics are terrible.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #11
I would also send those pics and the replies you got to the mentor home manufacturer as they won’t want bad publicity.

Blueface
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #12
Sickening to see this.

Know exactly how you feel after being messed about by CJ Caravans for a similar sized loss.

Some people don't deserve to have a business

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #13
Dicksons would be seeing me on their doorstep thats for sure, I would camp out and get the local media involved. Totally unacceptable response and customer service from them.

Best of luck with it Ally whichever way you proceed....

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #14
That’s not good. Hopefully you can get a satisfactory resolution but their response is somewhat dismissive. I would definitely take it further.

Oldblowin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner Ixeo 585
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Multijet 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #15
Ally is it too late to get an independent engineer's report done? This may give you the ammunition you need to negotiate a better outcome with Dickson's or Hagan's (or both) depending on where the fault is reported to lie. Also useful if you have to take them to court and would confirm whether the original problem is now fixed (no ongoing leak).

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #16
That looks and sounds brutal Ally. Hope you can get some kind of traction with Dickson's.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #17
That's shocking to be honest.

the repairer may have been your choice - but considering They paid for it it's their responsibility (IMO) to ensure that the work is up to the standard they can guarantee. There's an initial admission of liability and I wouldn't see it as being passed any statutes (although - not familiar with NI timeframes) so I'd definitely be putting a further push on this.

id be curious what the pre-sale test entailed for the bed. If it wasn't a weight bearing test it would be arguable it wasn't a test fit for purpose. Good luck with it either way.

johnnyferg
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #18
Really feel for you. However from previous experience the issue lies with the company who carried out the repair. I would suggest contacting Hagans and reporting this to you. If Dickson's had told you to go to them then fault could partly lie with them however as they gave you the option the issue lies with the company that carried out the repair. If Dicksons had checked the repair and deemed it satisfactory then they would also be partly liable.
My gripe would be with Hagans and would be right back demanding them to do something about it.
Hope you get matters resolved.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #19
Ally and Julie, your troubles must be a right pain in the backside. I am assuming that you have kept all paperwork and emails on file. There are a number of options available, but as I am in the Republic, I'm not sure of the uk systems of justice.
My day job is fitting and repairing bodybuilding, cranes and other hydraulic equipment onto trucks. About 10% of our business is uk imports belonging to customers who have purchased in good faith, but need the equipment certified for safety and insurance here in Republic.
When things go wrong, some uk dealers warranty ends at the boat dock and they happily give you the 2 fingers because the vehicle is not in their legal jurisdiction. The best recourse that some for our customers who have embarked on for compensation is to go after the uk vehicle certification process.
With regard to MH, the habitation cert is the gold standard for ensuring that a purchaser is buying a proper checked product. This habitation check was developed by the British Caravan Council in order to remove the bad dealers from the market place. Check your habitation cert and if it has been issued from a national body then report your dealer to them for gross misconduct. Submit copies of all documents and photos as supporting evidence.
Also check if the dealer is using British Standards for certifications and if so, report according.
When a company does nationally recognised certification, big part of the process is to have policies for product recalls, product repair /replacement and indemnity insurance for such.
Clearly the MH was leaking at the purchase time, causing the wall to rot which resulted in the bed breaking free. All of this was missed in the habitation check.
Basically you need to give the dealer a big headache in order to bring them to the table and take the responsibility of their poor service.
Most companies believe that when they achieve a BS/EN/ISO standard they are the best in business and advertise according but in reality it's harder to keep the above standards if the company starts messing customers around.
Best of luck.
Malcolm

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #20
Great information there Malcolm, very interesting to know!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #21
It's all about finding the biggest stick to wallop a fella with. Which is bigger stick a solicitor letter or a threat to his handy money certifying process?
Ps I forgot to post above to inform the dealer after filing the complaints. If he addresses your issues, it is easy to withdraw the complaints.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #22
Thanks guys for all the good wishes and advice.

I am purposely not commenting on any of them, I'm sure you understand why. But I am reading them all with interest.

This evening I have contacted Itineo and let them know of the situation.

Another bit of information i think everyone should be aware off...

I contacted Dicksons of Perth by phone, they refused to return my calls. I then emailed, I have copies of all emails in both directions, from even before the purchase of the Itineo. After one or two emails I made my intentions clear "I would make this whole affair public knowledge on this website if they refused to fix the Itineo purchased from Dicksons of Perth"

They accused me of threatening them after I said their offer was completely unsatisfactory.

[sic]
Mr ******,

I have already have made you an offer to repair your motorhome at a heavily discounted rate & supply any parts required at cost price, which I think was a fair offer considering both the timescale you have had the motorhome & also the fact another dealer has carried out a repair on it which was obviously not properly carried out.
Looking at the photos you have sent I would anticipate a cost of between £1600 - £2000 to carry out the repair as long as you have still got the bed mechanism, so if you want us to carry out the repairs then please get in contact so I can make a booking in our service diary.

In relation to your threat of posting this on the internet, by all means you are within your rights to do so but if you publish any remarks that are found to be slanderous or untrue please be aware that you will leave us no option but to contact our solicitors & ask them to take legal action against you for any untrue remarks.

Regards

Of course the above price I would think would be more once they had the Motorhome and also it does not take into account, boat fares, diesel, time to deliver and recover and time without Motorhome.

It also does not take into account the facts above, the Motorhome we purchased was already damaged.

We will now seek legal advice.

P.S. I also contacted Hagans Motorhomes this morning to let them know of the situation.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #23
Sorry for your troubles Ally and Julie,its very very disheartening.

Atlanticway
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #24
Absolutely terrible story. Shocking to think that could happen. When you purchase from a dealer you are also supposed to obtain peace of mind along with your MH. This story will surely anger all in the business of selling MHs. Very sorry to hear of your troubles and hopefully you will get sorted.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #25
Jeez. That's tough. Hope it works out for you. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of the MH. In time it will be sorted one way or another

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #26
Very disheartening.

I can only speak for myself but I am sure that if we as Craic Members can help in any way i.e. lobby any of the Parties involved or assist in any other way, you only need ask.

Hope everything works out and hope it gets sorted quickly.

Rgds.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Dixons of Perth buying experience

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #27
Hi Ally and Julie, I am saddened to hear of your predicament but something similar happened to myself a few years ago. I had a VW specialist fit a cam belt on a T4 and the engine blew up five miles down the road. I had exactly the same answer as you had, "it was nothing we done" so I wrote to them giving them fourteen days to make amends or I would pursue them through the small claims court. The bill for the work they done for me was £175.00 the amount I received from them the day before the court was £5000.00.
So why not threaten to sue them both, if they both protest their innocence in writing blaming each other then use their respective letters as evidence against each other, you could'nt have better evidence as they both claim to be experts. Do not make phone calls so you have everything in writing. Once you actually start to put your paper work together you will see your case emerging and realise how strong a case you actually have. STICK TO THE FACTS!
One, or both of them will fold.
(English, Irish and Scottish courts all have different limits in a small claims court so search the Internet for information)
I wish you well
Floorman.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #28
Hi Ally /Julie this is really a very sad situation and i cannot begin to think how you are both feeling at this present time,how a company like DICKSONS OF PERTH have let this get to this stage beggars belief. If they are relying so much on their pdi inspection being correct then why did you have the water leek in the first place?The fact that you had to take your Motorhome to another dealer to get it repaired after bringing it home was because they sold it to you with the water leak which had not been reported during their pdi inspection.
Offering to do the repair work for £30 hr seems like little recompense because after all how long is a piece of string?
Do not be brow beaten by their threats of legal action as this shows their idea of after sales and customer care.
Good luck and i trust that they will make contact to get this terrrible mess sorted.

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #29
Ally, what a disheartening saga. Your utter disappointment comes across quite clearly. I'd be a gibbering wreck if this happened to me. There is some very good advice here, especially about keeping everything in writing. You sound like a very reasonable and patient bloke, and not someone to let this drop.
I sincerely hope you and Julie reach an acceptable outcome with Dixons or Hagans or both. Good luck.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #30
Really disheartening. You trust that companies like DICKSONS OF PERTH would be honourable enough to ensure that customer satisfaction would be their priority but sadly it appears that is not the case. I hope that you get satisfaction from either dealer and you are back on the road again soon.

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #31
Heartbreaking.
However this was and still is a beautiful motorhome. It's a machine, things go wrong. it will get fixed and be filled with fun again.
Nobody is physically injured. It could have been a road traffic accident, where you or Julie could have been injured.
The lawyers will guide you on you rights as a consumer and the obligations of the dealers involved. Rely on them.
Itineo will surely want this resolved and can hopefully influence a positive outcome.
Very painful and upsetting now but it will get resolved and it will be a beautiful motorhome again.
Every good wish for a speedy and perfect resolution.
Joe

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #32
Never thought you were going through this much sh1t when you told us about the bed collapsing. I thought i was having problems, then i read this. Hope it gets sorted and you move on. Its still a beautiful camper, and as someone else said, still full of fun and laughter. Look forward to seeing you and Julie soon Pablo, keep the aul chin up.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #33
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #34
ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #35
Quote by Davy

Your problem is now picking up support from one of the biggest British forums.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/…e-you.html

Davy

I am sure that if DICKSONS OF PERTH were to step up to the mark and do the honourable thing that the flow of bad press would soon reverse,it is at times like this that the public can see for themselves just the difference between good after sales service and bad after sales service.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #36
So far it certainly would not encourage one to buy a new van from them.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #37
Quote by jacktherev

So far it certainly would not encourage one to buy a new van from them.

It would be telling me to stay as far away from them as possible.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #38
Not only them but also the Itineo brand, and as they are also a rebadged Rapido it would make me think twice about any of the Rapido group vans.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #39
Hi Ally, sorry to hear of your misfortune ,here is my offering, go to a structural engineer with timber in his CV and get a report ref water ingress ,how long it been happening and its bearing on the structure of the van. Send it on to Perth Motorhomes by registered mail ( and a copy to the manufacturer ) and give them a demand of a full refund as the goods were not fit for purpose or you will sue in court. I would think the National Publicity would not be what they or the manufacturer would like or want . You are covered under the sale of goods better than their gaurentee.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #40
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.