Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

Re: Looking to buy 1st MH (2nd hand)

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #41
Quote by kabundi

There was an article on RTE 9pm news tonight about second hand car imports from GB to ROI. I assume it also applies to motorhomes.

If I understood it correctly the cost of the car goes up substantially.

Vat at 21%
Import duty at 10% on Vat inclusive price
VRT at 13.3% on the OMSP

Taken together this adds about 50% to the cost in GB.

It was also mentioned that a ROI resident could purchase in NI, in which case only the VRT was payable. ROI dealers are apparently claiming that they can’t compete with NI dealers.

Well that to me looks like a business venture for someone in the North to buy the vehicle his Craicer mate in the South wants to buy in GB and then sell on at a bit of a mark up. Just a paper exercise really!

Liked by: Damo10

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #42
Tinternet being a pain. Double post sorry

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #43
Yes I read that RSA guide Eamonn posted before which made reference to side facing seats and seat belts. It recommends a two point seat belt over a 3 point. But it is legal to travel in a sideways seat. Is that pre 2012 registered vehicles or not, its not clear to me.

“Is it legal to sit on a side or rear facing seat when the motorhome
is moving? Yes. However we strongly recommend a side-facing seat should not be used while a vehicle is in motion as it does not provide the same level of protection as forward or rearward facing seats.”

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #44
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Well that to me looks like a business venture for someone in the North to buy the vehicle his Craicer mate in the South wants to buy in GB and then sell on at a bit of a mark up. Just a paper exercise really!

The vehicle needs to be a NI registered vehicle for this to apply, don’t know how long it needs to be NI registered.

Wonder how long before this loophole gets blocked

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #45
Quote by kabundi

Wonder how long before this loophole gets blocked

They're working on it already 😠

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #46
Quote by kabundi

There was an article on RTE 9pm news tonight about second hand car imports from GB to ROI. I assume it also applies to motorhomes.

If I understood it correctly the cost of the car goes up substantially.

Vat at 21%
Import duty at 10% on Vat inclusive price
VRT at 13.3% on the OMSP

Taken together this adds about 50% to the cost in GB.

It was also mentioned that a ROI resident could purchase in NI, in which case only the VRT was payable. ROI dealers are apparently claiming that they can’t compete with NI dealers.

Looks like we'll all have to get used to left hookers from mainland Europe.
Maybe we should change to driving on the right like Sweden did back in 1967 then personal imports from other EU countries would be no problem, although I can't see the SIMI standing for that.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #47
Quote by baguette

Looks like we'll all have to get used to left hookers from mainland Europe.
Maybe we should change to driving on the right like Sweden did back in 1967 then personal imports from other EU countries would be no problem, although I can't see the SIMI standing for that.

My first and only van is LHD and was registered new in Ireland, getting used to the size was a bigger thing than the LHD which very quickly becomes second nature. If I'm looking to upgrade, I'd definitely look to source one on the continent.

As for switching, most of the cars in Sweden pre 67 were already LHD (many imported second hand), before they switched over and there was very little infrastructure specifically designed for driving on the left (motorway or other grade separated junctions), many roundabouts, etc... a switch from driving on the left to driving on the right now would be a hugely different prospect.

Liked by: baguette

funnyname
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #48
So we got bit lucky and during an enquiry to a dealer in the North about another I was told about one coming in from England the following day and that I could have first refusal. We got details and pics the following day and after a day of deciding we put a deposit on it, they are going to sort out the VRT, etc.

Tricky thing is that it's up North and with current restrictions we won't be able to go up for it for an age although I think I might chance it and take the train to the nearest station then for a gawk to make sure it's not actually a dog house on a tricycle, it's a roller team 656.

One question re possible Brexit implications, given that it's come across the Irish sea is there still a VAT liability that we could face when it is brought into Ireland, or is that all ok given it's gone through commercial channels before we've bought it?

Any suggestion as to what to watch out for re this particular model when I go look at it?

Very thankful for all the replies to this thread and we hope to join ye all on the highways and byways of Ireland later on this year.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2021  ·  #49
Ask the dealer for an on the road price for ROI, they should know

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2021  ·  #50
Good for you if you get it well done

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2022  ·  #51
Hi, me again, (couldn't log in under old user id so had to set up a new one)

We got the camper down from the North the finest, dealer did everything re registration however I wouldn't recommend them re pre and post sale promises.

Anyways, tried googling it but to no avail, could anyone point me to the manual for a team roller 656? Still getting used to it as life got in the way wrt to getting out and about in as often as we hoped but raring to go now.

Also any suggestions on safely accommodation two dogs while travelling on the road?

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2022  ·  #52
A lot depend on the size of the dogs as obvious as that may seem. I've a small lurcher and I fitted an anchor point low down for it's safety harness and have a cage as well if needed.

Liked by: funnyname1

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2022  ·  #53
We got the camper down from the North the finest, dealer did everything re registration however I wouldn't recommend them re pre and post sale promises.

Think we can all guess where you bought it 🤠

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Rollerteam

· 
Posted: 27.07.2022  ·  #54
We have a rollerteam 740 what do you need to know

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2022  ·  #55
Looking to get a bike rack, as per pic there's a tow bar (electrics work) and some existing fittings for an attached bike rack. So what's the best kinda bike rack to get for it?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2022  ·  #56
I'd get a towbar bike rack

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2022  ·  #57
I'd get the existing mounting points check for any issues and if ok I'd get rid of the tow bar and use the weight saved to bring more beer or wine

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2022  ·  #58
Quote by hillton9

We have a rollerteam 740 what do you need to know

Thanks, unfortunately life got in the way and we haven't used it much other than day trips however we're now raring to go. So looking for a refresher on how to turn on the gas and cook with it it, how to use the fridge when out and about and parked up, also what do do re the fresh water tank that's been idle for a while, recently bought stuff to shock it but some experienced advice would be great.

Also should we upgrade the leisure battery and add solar panels and also re the gas, there's room for two 7.5kg bottles, are these easy to get in Ireland?

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2022  ·  #59
Quote by lapsed

A lot depend on the size of the dogs as obvious as that may seem. I've a small lurcher and I fitted an anchor point low down for it's safety harness and have a cage as well if needed.

We currently have a JRT and a 3 month old lab pup, wonder about a anchor points so that they could be harnessed in and comfy on a blanket on the lower back bunk while travelling?

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2022  ·  #60
Quote by funnyname1

Quote by lapsed

We currently have a JRT and a 3 month old lab pup, wonder about a anchor points so that they could be harnessed in and comfy on a blanket on the lower back bunk while travelling?

We're brand new to this lark but dog savvy so we're harnessing the lad close to the cab so he's got contact. Rescues can be nervous.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Looking to buy 1st MH (2nd hand)

· 
Posted: 29.07.2022  ·  #61
We travel our Liath (staffy ) in a shoulder harness on the side bench seat with a strap plugged into the rear seatbelt anchor. She travels much better off the floor where she can see out, generally has her head out forward between the passenger seat and the side window.
Dogs should never be restrained by a neck collar.

Liked by: lapsed, ntg

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2022  ·  #62
Quote by sprinter

We travel our Liath (staffy ) in a shoulder harness on the side bench seat with a strap plugged into the rear seatbelt anchor. She travels much better off the floor where she can see out, generally has her head out forward between the passenger seat and the side window.
Dogs should never be restrained by a neck collar.

Thanks for all the suggestions, enough ideas here for us to sort it out. and keep the pooches safe.

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2022  ·  #63
was filling the fresh water tank earlier so that I could clean it out with this stuff, Puriclean 2 x 400g Water Tank Purification Treatment Caravan System Cleaner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088R898JM/

However the overflow (circled in red) [img]

[/img] in the tank started emptying it before it got full. Can this be closed off so that the overflow value circle in yellow is the one that kicks in when the tank gets too full?

Also I presume the valve circled in blue is the release at the bottom of the tank to empty it when you want to get rid of stale water?

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2022  ·  #64
i had the same system i tended not to touch the emptying valve i would have opened the water tap opened the grey water valve empty that way
go to lidl by a couple 5lt still water bottles for tea coffee and cooking use the the on board tank for washing

Liked by: Europa, funnyname1

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2022  ·  #65
Quote by big LIam

i had the same system i tended not to touch the emptying valve i would have opened the water tap opened the grey water valve empty that way
go to lidl by a couple 5lt still water bottles for tea coffee and cooking use the the on board tank for washing

Good suggestion, will defo do that

Is there a way to close the overflow valve circled in red so that the fresh water tank can be filled more or is it designed that way?

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #66
Out and about now and the 12v socket isn't working. The red light is on, socket was working yesterday off (new) leisure battery so not sure what's going on, any help greatly appreciated.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #67
Do you know what the state of charge of your battery is? Could it be a warning of low voltage?

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #68
Coming up as fully charged, turned on engine and it still didn't work, works in cab.

Console with engine on, seems to indicate leisure battery full.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #69
do you know what the symbol over the light is ?

RobbieD
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Benimar Tesoro 442
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #70
Hi all,

Absolutely no electrical experience,
But a quick Google and the light illuminated with that symbol as far as I can tell is pointing to a blown fuse.

“ a fuse on the shunt burns out, the LED Illuminates “

Robbie

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #71
Quote by RobbieD

Hi all,

Absolutely no electrical experience,
But a quick Google and the light illuminated with that symbol as far as I can tell is pointing to a blown fuse.

“ a fuse on the shunt burns out, the LED Illuminates “

Robbie

Your correct Robbie it is a symbol for Isolator, Circuit Breaker, I should have said do you know what its for, as other 12volt systems are working it may be a fuse on the main board or behind the panel itself. but the rest of the panel is working ,so its hardly that, it could be quite a large fuse. it will probably mean going trough all the fuses as its the 12 socket, unless someone has a manual ,the same light is on the newer control boards,so if anyone has a manual they might look what the fault light comes on for.

Liked by: RobbieD

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2022  ·  #72
Thanks for all the help, twas a blown 15amp fuse, swapped over a working one for now and will replace when we get home tomorrow. The two 15a wans are for the internal lights and 12v socket.

Liked by: RobbieD

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2022  ·  #73
Well the other 15amp fuse went last night, i wonder given we have a new 120ah leisure battery (I think the old one was about half that) do I need to upgrade the main fuse?

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2022  ·  #74
Quote by funnyname1

Well the other 15amp fuse went last night, i wonder given we have a new 120ah leisure battery (I think the old one was about half that) do I need to upgrade the main fuse?

No battery capacity has nothing to do with fues size,
What you need to figure is what had you turned on and what you had connected when the fues blew, as this may be the problem you are drawing more power than the fuse, or something has a short in it, whan you say 12volt socket, do you mean cig-lighter type?

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #75
Quote by funnyname1

As Sprinter said but also do not be tempted to put in a larger fuse. Find out the issue first. The issue might be the fuse is too small, cheap, old etc but it could also be that a bit of cabling is shorting somewhere - the fuses job is to stop you going up in flames so when they blow it's important to find out why.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

funnyname1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2022  ·  #76
Back again, thanks for all your help so far, got the fuse sorted, I was using a faulty adapter and that was the cause of the fuse blowing.

I need to get a few parts that my dealer promised he would send on after I found faults at the pick up however after a year of chasing they have decided that it is best for me to source them and they will reimburse me. Not the greatest outcome but at least it's something, amazing what mentioning the small claims court will do to get things moving again.

Team Roller - Auto Roller 656

I'm looking for a rubber seal for one garage door, one new hinge for garage door and a pull down blackout blind for the dining area.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2022  ·  #77
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2022  ·  #78
Quote by the fat controller

Contact Camper Medic who advertises on this site he should be able to help you get what you need etc

He's currently on a break.

Liked by: Ron W

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2022  ·  #79
Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2022  ·  #80
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.