Looking to buy 1st MH (2nd hand)

But thinking of buying it in the UK

funnyname
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2021  ·  #1
Hi there, first time post so bear with me if I make any faux pas.

We rented a 2011 Swift Escape 686 a few years ago and loved it and now we've decided we'd like to buy one. However looking at what's around in Ireland they're not a huge amount of choice about the place.

Would it be doable to go to the UK for one, I've bought a car there before but that was pre Brexit and quite an easy process.

Re costs in the UK, is this right?

It would need to be bought at a dealers who will knock off 20% VAT as it's for export and then when it is brought back to Ireland you pay VAT at 21% on the purchase price at the fx rate at the time of purchase and then VRT at 13% on the value the revenue commissioners put on it.

So once lockdown is eased a bit I'd have no qualms about going to the UK for one just as long as I have my figure right.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Liked by: hodbod

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Looking to buy 1st MH (2nd hand)

· 
Posted: 30.01.2021  ·  #2
Is there nothing caught your eye in Ireland

funnyname
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2021  ·  #3
Well, I'd rather go via a dealer for our first purchase and I'm finding that they don't have any suitable stock available in our price range.

Liked by: ber_sull

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #4
Yep , understand

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #5
Everything seems to be 40 grand and up

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #6
I’m far from an expert after brexit as it adds a further layer of confusion but if you are buying a pre owned vehicle in GB it is unlikely to include Vat as this is for new and or commercial business vehicles only. But if you are intending to import the MH to ROI they will VRT and other costs. Give the vrt department of revenue a ring tell them what you are planning and ask them to explain the likely costs. Pre Brexit I found them to be approachable and helpful.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #7
Afaik importing from Britain post Brexit, you will be charged 21% vat over here, along with vrt. If you have bought from a dealer, there is supposed to be a mechanism in place to get the British vat, 20%, refunded. This can take a while, if at all!! Northern Ireland, is as it always was, from what I can gather. I hope I’m right as I’m looking at purchasing one up north myself at the moment. ........................... Then I’ll have two 🤯😩

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #8
Quote by Daffysparks

........................... Then I’ll have two 🤯😩

That cracking Mobilevetta you have Dave may suite funnyname and also save all the Hassel and guess work out of the VRT lotto and the ferry costs aswell, 😉

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #9
Quote by funnyname

Well, I'd rather go via a dealer for our first purchase and I'm finding that they don't have any suitable stock available in our price range.

what are you looking for, how many in your family, belted seats, beds, left or right hand drive, A or B or B+ or Low profile.
From citizens information.
( If you import a vehicle from the UK (not including Northern Ireland) from 1 January 2021, you must: Complete a customs declaration. Pay VAT at the rate of 21% ... Pay a customs duty of 10% if the vehicle originated outside the UK.Jan 12, 2020 ).
Then you have Sterling rate and the VRT.
if you post what your would like someone may just be tempted to change their's . a rough budget would help also.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #10
So if you are purchasing second hand from within the EU, you do not pay VAT. But since Brexit, if you purchase second hand in the UK you do? Is that right? If so I don’t see the appeal of buying in the UK. Unless there is a great deal to be had.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #11
Quote by The Rambler

So if you are purchasing second hand from within the EU, you do not pay VAT. But since Brexit, if you purchase second hand in the UK you do? Is that right? If so I don’t see the appeal of buying in the UK. Unless there is a great deal to be had.

As I understand it you will be paying vat 21% rising to 23% if you import a second hand vehicle irrespective of its age and mileage into ROI from GB. But if you bought a second hand vehicle that is at least 6 months old with over 6000km on the clock no vat is payable if you bought the vehicle in an EU country e.g Germany or France.
Yet another benefit of Brexit.

Liked by: The Rambler, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #12
Quote by The Rambler

That certainly looks like it, so The way I read it, you would certainly not go for a LHD, ( 10% ). you would have to buy from a dealer without VAT. ( can you imagine the trying to reclaim UK paid VAT after you get home )
The lads up above, even the ones who wanted to leave, must be Laughing up their sleeves.

That's why I'm looking in France.

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #13
I bought two compers in Germany, first one in 2000 and the second one which I still have in 2004. Both times I bought from dealers. Very satisfied. The LHD is an advantage when touring on the continent. Have a look at www.mobile.de best of luck with your decision.

Liked by: sprinter

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #14
Quote by sprinter

Quote by The Rambler

That certainly looks like it, so The way I read it, you would certainly not go for a LHD, ( 10% ). you would have to buy from a dealer without VAT. ( can you imagine the trying to reclaim UK paid VAT after you get home )
The lads up above, even the ones who wanted to leave, must be Laughing up their sleeves.

That's why I'm looking in France.

You only pay the VAT on import if it comes from GB, not if it’s registered in NI

One thing to bear in mind is that in Belgium, Holland and Spain they have a similar tax to VRT on all new vehicles so their 2nd hand prices include this plus their VAT, which you can’t claim back.

As for us up above, no one is laughing neither the remainers or leavers, we all got shafted by both the EU and GB to the point that the whole border issue is now causing disruption to everything including food, a lot of the shops are less well stocked and some things are disappearing. Sainsbury’s are even buying off Spar to fill empty spaces. The whole debacle over vaccines over the past few days shows the contempt that central EU chiefs have not only for GB/UK but also Ireland when they just decide something that has a knock on effect to the island as a whole.

Liked by: +deleted user

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #15
I should clarify the 21% vat is for vehicles from GB not NI which is not part of GB.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #16
If a vehicle was first sold (new) in the UK prior to 31/01/2020 the UK was pre-Brexit status so the VAT would have been paid to the UK Revenue as an EU member state, just like for example, if the sale took place in France.
Therefore the questions are:

Should a secondhand import of goods from The UK on which EU VAT had already been paid be subjected to that tax a second time, I think not.

If the vehicle was originally sold new in another EU country, for example, Germany, then imported into the UK as a secondhand import and now imported third hand into Ireland (RoI) should the vehicle be subjected to VAT a second time, again I think not.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #17
Quote by baguette

If a vehicle was first sold (new) in the UK prior to 31/01/2020 the UK was pre-Brexit status so the VAT would have been paid to the UK Revenue as an EU member state, just like for example, if the sale took place in France.

Should a secondhand import of goods from The UK on which EU VAT had already been paid be subjected to that tax a second time, I think not.

If the vehicle was originally sold new in another EU country, for example, Germany, then imported into the UK as a secondhand import and now imported third hand into Ireland (RoI) should the vehicle be subjected to VAT a second time, again I think not.

Whilst 100% agree it’s not ethically right to charge VAT twice we are talking about a tax system that doesn’t appear to be legal but they do it anyway.

Also let’s say you buy a second hand vehicle in France say 13 months old but the previous owner hardly used it and when you get it back to Ireland it has 4000km on the clock you would have to pay Irish vat even though the previous owner paid vat in France.

The system is flawed, unfair and it is what it is.

karemart74
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #18
Quote by Europa

I bought two compers in Germany, first one in 2000 and the second one which I still have in 2004. Both times I bought from dealers. Very satisfied. The LHD is an advantage when touring on the continent. Have a look at www.mobile.de best of luck with your decision.

I agree, also brought my motorhome in Germany last year. IMO better quality and selection than in the UK. The process is very straight forward and the dealer will help you with export plates (Ausfuhrkennzeichen) and the temporary insurance (doppelkarte versicherung)

There are several dealers in the Hamburg area, you do need to plan every single aspect and check stock in www.mobile.de

Karen

Liked by: Europa, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #19
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by baguette

Whilst 100% agree it’s not ethically right to charge VAT twice we are talking about a tax system that doesn’t appear to be legal but they do it anyway.

Also let’s say you buy a second hand vehicle in France say 13 months old but the previous owner hardly used it and when you get it back to Ireland it has 4000km on the clock you would have to pay Irish vat even though the previous owner paid vat in France.

The system is flawed, unfair and it is what it is.

As said VAT is only payable on 'new' vehicles. A car is new for VAT purposes if:
It has been in use for no more than 6 months or It has been driven for no more than 6000 kilometres when you buy it.
Example 1: A car that is two years old but has travelled only 4000 kilometres is new for VAT purposes.
Example 2: A four-month old car has been driven for 15 000 kilometres. It is new for VAT purposes.
Example 3: A ten-month old car that has been driven for 6500 kilometres is not new.

A used vehicle but still categorised as 'new' under the above criteria will still be subject to VAT payment only once. The original VAT when first sold is reclaimable if exported.

If you bought the car from a dealer or other business and you made it clear that your intention was to have the car taken back to your own country and kept there permanently, and satisfied any other necessary conditions, you should not have had to pay VAT (the sale should have been exempt).

Some sellers may require paying VAT upon purchase and refund that amount when they get satisfactory evidence that the car was transported to and registered in another EU country.

If despite this, you were incorrectly charged VAT, you must take this up with your supplier or the tax authorities of that country.

You must still pay your home EU country’s VAT regardless.

Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #20
Yesterday I VRTd a 17 Audi purchased from a NI dealer on 6th Jan. It had English plates .Same procedure as previously except I had to get proof from the dealer that it was in his stock before Jan 1st. So it seems only NI reg vehicles or pre Brexit stocked vehicles are exempted Post Brexit. Also the Mot swop no longer applies.

Liked by: StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

funnyname
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #21
Thanks for all the replies, so it seems to be not as simple as I thought, will make a few calls and see what the official line is. We'd rather not go down the line of getting a LHD for our first one so for the time being we'll keep on looking in the 32 counties and see what comes up.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #22
I thought exactly the same as you 4.5 years ago when we bought our first Motorhome.... second hand. We weren’t even sure motorhoming would be for us, after having boats for over 20 years. We looked at quite a few. Then the perfect layout, for us, came up.... only it was LHD. We went for a look, a drive. Loved it. Bought it. Never cast me a thought afterwards driving here, and boy is it handy when on the continent. My biggest fear with the one we are looking at now, is that it’s RHD. It’s a drawback, but with the right layout, I won’t let it be a dealbreaker. Neither should you. IMO

Liked by: eirebus, Paul mcg

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2021  ·  #23
Quote by Daffysparks

I thought exactly the same as you 4.5 years ago when we bought our first Motorhome.... second hand. We weren’t even sure motorhoming would be for us, after having boats for over 20 years. We looked at quite a few. Then the perfect layout, for us, came up.... only it was LHD. We went for a look, a drive. Loved it. Bought it. Never cast me a thought afterwards driving here, and boy is it handy when on the continent. My biggest fear with the one we are looking at now, is that it’s RHD. It’s a drawback, but with the right layout, I won’t let it be a dealbreaker. Neither should you. IMO

Sure David if you keep your present left hand drive for your continental travels and your new purchased right hand drive for local travels you are sorted 😅.
Ok you will have to extend your present canopy at home but sure that will be a small price to pay for having the perfect set up.👍😂

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #24
Quote by baguette

While this would make total sense and I thought it would be the case, "the system" seems to have made a hard stop and anything from 1st JAN 2021 will be considered an import post-brexit, I can almost guarantee it.

And I say it because of my issue with the certificate of road worthiness (MOT/CVRT)... You see, I imported my van in Dec2020, applied for the VRT date even before the van landed but obviously got my date for Jan 2021. After all was set and done and VRT paid, it was Jan already... so I presented my valid until Sept 21 MOT and they told me it cannot be converted as the van was registered in ireland "post brexit". Had a few discussions back and forth, got that escalated to upper level but there was no convincing them. While revenue recognized my van as imported in DEC, anything else after was taking on the date of registration in Ireland, so I have to do the CVRT from scratch.

My guess is that if you bring anything from UK now, it will pay everything 100% regardless of age or when it was first registered in the UK.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #25
Quote by RTV

Quote by baguette

While this would make total sense and I thought it would be the case, "the system" seems to have made a hard stop and anything from 1st JAN 2021 will be considered an import post-brexit, I can almost guarantee it.

And I say it because of my issue with the certificate of road worthiness (MOT/CVRT)... You see, I imported my van in Dec2020, applied for the VRT date even before the van landed but obviously got my date for Jan 2021. After all was set and done and VRT paid, it was Jan already... so I presented my valid until Sept 21 MOT and they told me it cannot be converted as the van was registered in ireland "post brexit". Had a few discussions back and forth, got that escalated to upper level but there was no convincing them. While revenue recognized my van as imported in DEC, anything else after was taking on the date of registration in Ireland, so I have to do the CVRT from scratch.

My guess is that if you bring anything from UK now, it will pay everything 100% regardless of age or when it was first registered in the UK.

The underlying problem we face is LAZINESS.
It appears that much of officialdom seek to take the easy way out to suit a desire to do as little work and ignore as many EU regulations as possible for as much remuneration as they can screw out of taxpayers and to hell with us taxpayers they are paid to serve.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #26
Quote by baguette

The underlying problem we face is LAZINESS.
It appears that much of officialdom seek to take the easy way out to suit a desire to do as little work and ignore as many EU regulations as possible for as much remuneration as they can screw out of taxpayers and to hell with us taxpayers they are paid to serve.

Is it laziness or convenience though? Surely revenue won't say anything against collecting extra funds there, and for what I've read in the news dealers are still fighting to get the appropriated vehicle cost assessment and that's been going on for a few years.

But yes, I see where you're coming from and would agree 100%

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #27
Quote by RTV

..............................................., and for what I've read in the news dealers are still fighting to get the appropriated vehicle cost assessment and that's been going on for a few years. .......................................

The case you are probably referring to has been taken by an importer of used cars. Motorhome dealers and sellers of new cars have been remarkably quiet on the issue.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #28
Quote by RTV

Quote by baguette

How does that tally with this statement from the Revenue website.

Imported vehicles from another EU Member State can continue to display the roadworthiness certificate from the country of origin within the EU, which will be recognised in Ireland until the expiry date. The owner should apply and pass the NCT for the vehicle before the expiry of their current out of state roadworthiness certificate.

You can no longer transfer the unexpired portion of an EU certificate for a mutual recognition cert however, vehicle owners may use their current EU roadworthiness certificate until the expiry date and then present the vehicle for its NCT. ????

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #29
Quote by sprinter

Quote by RTV

Quote by baguette

Imported vehicles from another EU Member State can continue to display the roadworthiness certificate from the country of origin within the EU, which will be recognised in Ireland until the expiry date. The owner should apply and pass the NCT for the vehicle before the expiry of their current out of state roadworthiness certificate.

You can no longer transfer the unexpired portion of an EU certificate for a mutual recognition cert however, vehicle owners may use their current EU roadworthiness certificate until the expiry date and then present the vehicle for its NCT. ????

Easy, the UK is no longer a EU member state. Have you heard of Brexit? :D :D

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on Looking to buy 1st MH (2nd hand)

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #30
Quote by RTV

Quote by sprinter

Quote by RTV

Quote by baguette

Easy, the UK is no longer a EU member state. Have you heard of Brexit? :D :D

They treated my Buddy the same way on a 2017 French import, in September that was only 3 years old.which even here, wasn't due for its first test.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #31
Quote by sprinter

They treated my Buddy the same way on a 2017 French import, in September that was only 3 years old.which even here, wasn't due for its first test.

Really hope he fought that one (and won). Rules are clear... and you can always get the odd muppet that doesn't know them but it's usually handy enough to find the one that knows them.

Let's face it, they deal with cars all the time. Campers, bikes and possibly classics are rare...

funnyname
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2021  ·  #32
Thanks for all the replies.

Still looking but I've come to the realisation I'll have to buy on the island of Ireland. Nearly pulled the trigger yesterday (5 berth van) but was unsure about about the safeness of a side travelling seat with only a lap seat belt, while we dithered and looked for more info, a deposit was taken. We want a 5 or 6 berth van with 3 point seat belts for all seats. Tried ringing a couple of insurance companies yesterday but only open Mon-Fri.

Also any pet owners what's the best way to keep 2 dogs and 2 cats safe while travelling?

Benni
Subject:

First time buyer

· 
Posted: 07.02.2021  ·  #33
We bought our first campervan last February 2020 and would recommend Pat's Campers, Waterford 087 9154732.
No website but in the business over 20years and can import from Germany. Excellent after sales service and great for the advice as a first timer.

As the moment its an expensive garden ornament, but that's not Pat's fault!

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, TommyS

funnyname
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2021  ·  #34
Thanks, I'll give her a buzz tomorrow. Is it possible to import a RHD from mainland Europe or are they like hen's teeth?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2021  ·  #35
Quote by funnyname

Thanks, I'll give her a buzz tomorrow. Is it possible to import a RHD from mainland Europe or are they like hen's teeth?

You won't get a RHD from Europe, but LHDs are no problem to drive, some people even prefer them

Liked by: baguette, Europa

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on Looking to buy 1st MH (2nd hand)

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #36
Quote by funnyname

Thanks for all the replies.

Still looking but I've come to the realisation I'll have to buy on the island of Ireland. Nearly pulled the trigger yesterday (5 berth van) but was unsure about about the safeness of a side travelling seat with only a lap seat belt, while we dithered and looked for more info, a deposit was taken. We want a 5 or 6 berth van with 3 point seat belts for all seats. Tried ringing a couple of insurance companies yesterday but only open Mon-Fri.

Also any pet owners what's the best way to keep 2 dogs and 2 cats safe while travelling?

Your not allowed travel with people in a side mounted seat, everyone must face forward or back.
Dogs & cats restrained or caged, ( my way )
I'm just a little confused, ( at my age that could be normal )
It sounds like your family is Adults,Chrildren, 4 animals?
what age are the children?
would a smaller van/ motorhome, suite for a few years and then increase the size when the children get too big to all be bedded down together.
Are you thinking holiday /camping parks.?
If the Swift 686 is the type your looking for, then you want a 6 berth 6 belted at around 7mtr?
Would the year of the van look something like your budget when written down?
Example.
I came across a van 2002
( 22k) French bed, 6 belts, short about 6mtr with full safari room awning.
A bit small but a neat van for a young family. especially with the safari room.

We have a four belted,4 berth, sprinter van it had six, I removed two.
When my Daughter uses it, we add a Kyham drive away awning / tent, two bedroom with about 4 sqm lounge area, which effectively adds 4 or more bed spaces.
Think about that.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #37
Quote by sprinter

Your not allowed travel with people in a side mounted seat, everyone must face forward or back.

Are you sure about that Martin? My understanding is that it is legal, and that passengers facing sideways are not required to wear a seatbelt or indeed even prohibited from doing so. And there are sidefacing seats on public busses.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #38
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #39
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by sprinter

Are you sure about that Martin? My understanding is that it is legal, and that passengers facing sideways are not required to wear a seatbelt or indeed even prohibited from doing so. And there are sidefacing seats on public busses.

Eamon has shown the RSA words of wisdom.
I was and will always follow the advised of the SQI who informed me that the twin front passenger seats, complete with belts, that were mounted facing the Sliding door of the sprinter, would not be road legal and either to remove or turn them facing front or back, I took them out as they were in the way of putting a fixed table in.

Liked by: Eamonn

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #40
There was an article on RTE 9pm news tonight about second hand car imports from GB to ROI. I assume it also applies to motorhomes.

If I understood it correctly the cost of the car goes up substantially.

Vat at 21%
Import duty at 10% on Vat inclusive price
VRT at 13.3% on the OMSP

Taken together this adds about 50% to the cost in GB.

It was also mentioned that a ROI resident could purchase in NI, in which case only the VRT was payable. ROI dealers are apparently claiming that they can’t compete with NI dealers.

Liked by: Harvey

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.