Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Leaking roof

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #41
Quote by Daffysparks

I think you are definitely on the right track. Stop the leaks as soon as possible, then you can assess the situation fully and take the next steps.

I really hope I’m on the right track 😬 it’s taken me over five months to finally (hopefully) track down the sources of the leaks. The Gorilla tape seems to be holding up for the moment. I’m waiting for a rain/wind free day to get up the ladder and get the Silkaflex on...... I’m sure there’s bound to be one decent day coming along soon! 🙄

Liked by: Ally, ntg, +deleted user

99Duke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto Trail
Base Vehicle: 1999 Ducato 2.8d
Subject:

Leaking Roof

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #42
Just reading Tee's post, don't despair. I've just completed a complete ceiling rip out and replace. total cost of materials at Brooks builders providers for the 2"x2" timbers, insulation board, 6mm hardwood ply sheets was €180. I spent a few hours here and there since Sept 2019 evenings and the odd weekend and I finished the job just before Halloween.
I'm no carpenter, although I do hail from the Mechanical background, so a little patience and a vision for what YOU want to make your camper look like after is all you need. I'll upload a few before and after shot so ye can see what an amateur job turned out like in the end.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter, Tee, TommyS, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #43
Lovely job there Keith and welcome to the forum 👍

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #44
Super job :up:

99Duke
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #45
Thanks for the nice comments.
I also used Tec7 black bond to seal all the outside edges as future proofing against ingress of water.
It's more expensive than ordinary silicone.... maybe €13 per tube, but it's easy to spread with a latex glove and some white spirits to help glide along. I used 4 tubes in total to cover all the edges from front to rear. No issues with ingress since.

Mind you, whomever installed the solar panel used tex-screws to secure it in place.... and therein lay the culprit for water ingress.
A botched after though roof vent didn't help matters either somewhere along the years :).

No matter, we're back in action, sealed, dry, and a far snugger camper then original. The 30mm floor insulation board (foil both sides) is a serious heat retainer. Can wait to head down to Doolin next weekend to face the cauld Atlantic to test it.

It's a 5 Berth, coach build, sitting on a Ducato chassis, the old 2.8d...87 Horses engine!
Tullamore to Wexford and home...1/2 a tank... so that's fair miles to the gallon considering.

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

99Duke
Craic'er
Subject:

De-humidify!

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #46
Quote by 99Duke

Thanks for the nice comments.
I also used Tec7 black bond to seal all the outside edges as future proofing against ingress of water.
It's more expensive than ordinary silicone.... maybe €13 per tube, but it's easy to spread with a latex glove and some white spirits to help glide along. I used 4 tubes in total to cover all the edges from front to rear. No issues with ingress since.

Mind you, whomever installed the solar panel used tex-screws to secure it in place.... and therein lay the culprit for water ingress.
A botched after though roof vent didn't help matters either somewhere along the years :).

No matter, we're back in action, sealed, dry, and a far snugger camper then original. The 30mm floor insulation board (foil both sides) is a serious heat retainer. Can wait to head down to Doolin next weekend to face the cauld Atlantic to test it.

It's a 5 Berth, coach build, sitting on a Ducato chassis, the old 2.8d...87 Horses engine!
Tullamore to Wexford and home...1/2 a tank... so that's fair miles to the gallon considering.

The best €150 spend on additional equipment..... a domestic dehumidifier! Dried out the wet original timber side pieces within a few days before I started to place new timber frame build (which I screwed into the dried out original side timber runners). Some good advice from long stead campervanners.... leave the dehumidifier plugged in the camper over the winter. It'll keep any damp from forming on surfaces and will deal with any condensation brought about by frost and defrosting by the morning sun.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #47
Quote by 99Duke

Just reading Tee's post, don't despair. <snip>

Hi, not important to edit your post :) But in the future could you use the media manager for photos as the file attachment is for files such as PDF's etc, photos added the file way to not pre load on a mobile device.

Here is a guide for the media manager

forum/topic.php?t=15202

Liked by: 99Duke

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #48
Quote by Tee

Quote by Stacks

I'm no expert but it might be worth investigating further how damaged the roof currently is? Nobody knows how long it has been leaking so at least knowing the extent of the damage will hopefully lead you to the best next step. Might be better than sealing the whole roof first?

We have carried out some internal work to the ceiling/roof. I’m worried about damage I can’t see. My thinking was that if I get the outside sealed and make it watertight, then I can address any damage after that. If that means I need to take down the ceiling, then I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and do it. My immediate concern is stopping any further water ingress.

I see your point. Stay positive and remember it will get sorted. Best of luck with the repair.

Liked by: Ally, barroda, eirebus, Tee

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2019  ·  #49
Wee update on the roof!

The Gorilla Tape seemed to work a treat as a temporary measure. I got the Silkaflex on yesterday. Heavy rain all night and all day today and so far (fingers crossed) there seems to be no further water ingress. Dehumidifier still going.

I ordered Cromapol from eBay, but I got a message from the seller this morning asking me for another £21 for postage on top of the £4 postage I’d already paid. They got a very short reply 🤔 I’ve reordered from Amazon.

Can I just ask another piece of advice please? I saw another post about what way to park a motorhome over winter to keep it dry. Some people mentioned water getting into the engine of a Fiat Ducato. Any advice re the best way to park a 1995 Fiat Ducato please? I won’t worry so much about it when we get the car port sorted, but in the meantime she’s exposed to all the elements in a fairly exposed, windy spot 😬

Thank you everyone for all your help. I really was despairing when I made my post and you’ve lifted my spirits ❤

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Leaking roof

· 
Posted: 07.11.2019  ·  #50
If yours is the 5 berth with the overhead bed, then lift the front a bit and let the rain run off the rear, there is nothing you can do with the sloping bit on the front, make sure the runoff drains on each side of the windscreen where the wipers come up out of are clear of leaves on a regular basis so that water does not build-up.

Liked by: Tee

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2019  ·  #51
Quote by sprinter

If yours is the 5 berth with the overhead bed, then lift the front a bit and let the rain run off the rear, there is nothing you can do with the sloping bit on the front, make sure the runoff drains on each side of the windscreen where the wipers come up out of are clear of leaves on a regular basis so that water does not build-up.

Four berth ( I think) with overhead bed..... but then again, I’m a big girl and there’s no way three of me would fit overhead! 😂😂😂

Liked by: Albert the Talbot, benen, sprinter, +deleted user

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2019  ·  #52
Try to keep it sloping a bit to the passenger side also, as well as raised at the front. I find less water gets into the engine bay this way on ours (right hand drive). I’ve also used the electrical insulating tape across the bottom of the windscreen tip which really helped, and have fitted a cover over the battery to keep the water that still gets in off.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2019  ·  #53
Quote by Galldar

Try to keep it sloping a bit to the passenger side also, as well as raised at the front. I find less water gets into the engine bay this way on ours (right hand drive). I’ve also used the electrical insulating tape across the bottom of the windscreen tip which really helped, and have fitted a cover over the battery to keep the water that still gets in off.

I’m intrigued to know the insulating tape tip please?

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2019  ·  #54
I picked up that insulating tip and used it too. Just use black insulating tape and ru it where the windscreen meets the meatball of the bonnet as you will likely see a gap there where the rain can get in and cause corrosion.

Like others have said the battery area seems to take a lot of rain and can rot out on you - mine had. You could lift the bonnet and run a hose over the windscreen and see for yourself where it runs in. I actually used a cheap fuel funnel with a bit of hose at the end which caught the drips coming into the engine bay and safely fixed them into the ground. Others have used rigid plastic from signs or the like to cover the battery area but I wanted to make sure I didn’t just guide the watt onto some metal parts. I had to get some metal work done on mine so the whole front came off it for that. It’s a 1998 Ducato with an over cab bed. Those Taylor made external covers look like a good job for covering the windscreen and bonnet but too a bit expensive for me.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2019  ·  #55
Google Ducato Windscreen scuttle, or check forum/topic.php?t=20186

I can post a pic of what I did with the tape along the bottom of the windscreen later, saw a video of someone doing it after Googling.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2019  ·  #56
Quote by Galldar

Google Ducato Windscreen scuttle, or check forum/topic.php?t=20186

I can post a pic of what I did with the tape along the bottom of the windscreen later, saw a video of someone doing it after Googling.

Do ye know what?? You guys are AMAZEBALLS!! I noticed a couple of days ago that there was water on top of the battery and was concerned about it. Now I know (after reading the comments on this link) that it’s a problem with this model.

My husband is cracking up that I bought this ‘heap of sh**e’ in the first place and every problem brings us one step closer to a messy divorce! 😂😂 ( Can you use ‘leaky motorhome’ as grounds for a divorce?). Anyhoo! My father was a self taught mechanical engineer and I spent many hours in the garage with him restoring old vehicles, so I’m not going to let my poor, neglected, in need of much TLC motorhome Tilly down. I shall give her the life she deserves! Thanks again folks for all your advice and support ❤

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2019  ·  #57
Photos of insulating tape on windscreen/scuttle, and battery area (I can’t figure out how to get them to be the right way up :-/ )

When you have a van of this era I think you know you are going to put a bit of effort in (part of the fun).
Currently I’m halfway through going over all the seams on ours with sikaflex, not that I’ve found any leaks yet but as a preventative measure.

Didn’t follow my own advice on the parking, checked the roof this evening and a pool had formed, and has iced over.

Liked by: panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.