Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Leaking roof

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #1
Hello all, this is my first time posting here, so I hope I’m on the correct forum.
I bought a 1995 Swift Royale motorhome earlier this year. I was told by the previous owner that there had been a leak at the edge of the roof where it joins the wall, but that the leak had been fixed. Shortly after purchase, I discovered the roof was soaking and I’ve spent months and a lot of money trying to fix it. I’ve taken out the roof light, fan etc, cleaned them and replaced them using new mastic. Long story short, the roof is still leaking very badly. After last nights rain, I climbed up on a ladder to have a look at it again and the roof is dipped downwards in the middle. It’s gathering around the skylight and despite it being recently re-sealed, the water is coming into the motorhome, in multiple areas. I’m thinking that if the roof has been leaking for a long period of time, the wood is rotten and that’s why the roof has dipped. I’ve spent months refurbishing, redecorating, replacing seating, upholstery etc and I’m loathe to take the ceiling off if I can possibly avoid it. I’ve asked two local caravan repair guys to look at it, but they both have other work on. Any help, suggestions or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Tee

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Leaking roof

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #2
First things first, get it up on some ramps at the front and let the water run off the back. It may be that the roof is low due to water damage and it is getting too high for the skylight to cope, if it goes to far up the edges it will come in no matter how good the seal is.

Liked by: Tee

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #3
I got my aqua vac out and suctioned it all off. I’ve also suctioned up all the water from the floor inside etc. I’ve opened all the windows and it’s now covered in a tarp.

Liked by: Ally

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #4
Stick a spirit level on the roof, check if it's low at the skylight maybe?

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #5
There was a fairly large ‘puddle’ on the roof this morning and it had gathered around the front of the skylight.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #6
That may well be the culprit. We had one that sat low at the front, if it was then made worse by the ground being low at the front the water would fill enough to come in through the sky light.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #7
What’s the solution?? I’m going to have to take the ceiling down aren’t I?? 😩

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #8
You need to find out the exact cause, if it came in the way i am suggesting then the roof won't be wet inside the roof.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #9
The quickest thing I used to make a ramp was some concrete blocks on their flat and so use my levellers to drive up onto it. Stops the rain creating a big lake on the top and it going green and of course minimises standing after if you have a leak.

Check the sealant along the sides of the roof, especially if the van sits to one side as well as nose down so the water collects on one side on the roof behind the Luton. If you do find a dodgy bit of sealant then some mastic from eBay can provide a quick fix to stop it getting worse. A Tarp may do for now but the wind will likely blow it off or make it flap against the van and may damage it perhaps.

Only a professional checking it out will solve the problem long term I think.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2019  ·  #10
Bless you - this would be a haunting issue for any of us on here as the aspect of water leaking in whilst you sleep or are out and trust that the unit is dry and perfect for your holiday. I would agree with the slight raising of the front to allow run off as long as the leak is not at the back.
I would suggest testing all of the fixtures onto the roof where stays / rails / tv masts etc are installed and check the mastic joins. If aged - like the rest of us - dig out the old mastic and push in new sealant, let it dry and test.
Best of luck - it may not be a total wipe-out - the structure should dry out and you may just have a lesser issue.
Get a dehumidifier in the interim and keep the mold out - its a good thing to keep on in the unit all over the winter months anyway!!

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #11
I’ve been replacing all the mastic, sealant etc bit by bit. The water is coming in around the skylight and is now dripping through the screw holes in one of the ceiling lights, which has tipped me over the edge today 😩. Can anyone recommend a good professional motorhome repair person? I’ve tried Gary Dunn and Ship Shape Caravan repairs, but they’re both busy with other work.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #12
Don’t dispare do you have a shed you can put it in first you need to get it really dry new sealant won’t take to damp areas if you could put a few photos of the problem area might give us a better view on how we can help

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #13
If your skylight is leaking then the only way to get it sealed proper is to remove it and clean it to an inch of its life and reseal.
Put Motorhome skylight leaking into YouTube where you’ll find lots of tips/info.
It’s pretty straightforward once you see the vids

Good luck

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Albert the Talbot

If your skylight is leaking then the only way to get it sealed proper is to remove it and clean it to an inch of its life and reseal.
Put Motorhome skylight leaking into YouTube where you’ll find lots of tips/info.
It’s pretty straightforward once you see the vids

Good luck

The thing is, I’ve already done this and been really thorough with cleaning and reinstalling.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #15
Quote by hillton9

Don’t dispare do you have a shed you can put it in first you need to get it really dry new sealant won’t take to damp areas if you could put a few photos of the problem area might give us a better view on how we can help

I have a shed, but the door is too low to get the MH in 🙄 We’re currently trying to build a carport. I have a tarp over it and a dehumidifier going.

Vertico
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Ci Riviera 181
Base Vehicle: Transit 2001
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #16
Quote by Motorhome Craic

That may well be the culprit. We had one that sat low at the front, if it was then made worse by the ground being low at the front the water would fill enough to come in through the sky light.

He means the puddle of water is higher than the lip on the skylight.
So it's not a mastic problem. Its overflowing...

Liked by: Ally, Tee

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #17
:up:

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #18
I got a better look at the roof today and found holes and other signs of wear. I’ll attach photos. Turns out the waterproof tarpaulin was far from waterproof and I’m back to mopping up water again. Can anyone please help with temporary measures to seal the holes until I can get the MH under cover and dried out?
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #19
U could paint your roof with sealer , I done mine with one I bough on amazon still have 3/4of can left in Glaslough co Monaghan

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #20
Clean it well and get some silicon on it until you get a proper repair.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #21
Quote by benen

U could paint your roof with sealer , I done mine with one I bough on amazon still have 3/4of can left in Glaslough co Monaghan

I’m in Co Down, so a bit too far, but thank you so much for your offer. As soon as I can get it under cover, painting it with a sealer is top of my list. Thanks so much for your advice.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #22
Quote by Tee

Quote by benen

I’m in Co Down, so a bit too far, but thank you so much for your offer. As soon as I can get it under cover, painting it with a sealer is top of my list. Thanks so much for your advice.

Would Silkaflex do the same job?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #23
Yes sikaflex is a very good sealant and widely used in the marine industry.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #24
Rubber paint over the whole roof is an option. Amazing stuff.

Liked by: ntg, Tee

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #25
Quote by Motorhome Craic

Rubber paint over the whole roof is an option. Amazing stuff.

Any recommendations for the best product to use please?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Tee

Not really, I got mine in Screwfix and I done an RV roof with it.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #27
Quote by Motorhome Craic

Quote by Tee

Not really, I got mine in Screwfix and I done an RV roof with it.

Grand job, I’ll have a look.....in the meantime I’ve opened a bottle of wine in an attempt to ward off the sinking feeling of despair 😩.

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, sprinter, +deleted user

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #28
Cromapol is the one I used

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Leaking roof

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #29
Quote by benen

Cromapol is the one I used

Im sure the wine will taste better :D :( sorry.

rustynutz
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Eura-mobil Integra 810
Base Vehicle: 2003 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #30
I feel your pain, trying to source leaks in a motorhome can be soul destroying, I spent weeks stripping off trim on mine, cleaning off old sealant and resealing, only for it still to be leaking! Aaaargh I felt that sinking despair you are feeling now, and yes, I also turned to alcohol to help 😁 it turned out to be a single screw hole that want sealed properly.

As already suggested get it under a roof if possible to give you a bit of breathing space, and then look at all roof penetrations in the vicinity of the leak with suspicion and seal accordingly. Good luck

Liked by: Ally, Tee

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #31
Quote by rustynutz

I feel your pain, trying to source leaks in a motorhome can be soul destroying, I spent weeks stripping off trim on mine, cleaning off old sealant and resealing, only for it still to be leaking! Aaaargh I felt that sinking despair you are feeling now, and yes, I also turned to alcohol to help 😁 it turned out to be a single screw hole that want sealed properly.

As already suggested get it under a roof if possible to give you a bit of breathing space, and then look at all roof penetrations in the vicinity of the leak with suspicion and seal accordingly. Good luck

I have spent five months trying to sort it out and it’s soul destroying. After the advice given here, I’m going to try Silkaflex on any visible holes etc and then seal it all over with a suitable flexible sealer. If that doesn’t work, I will retire to a dark corner with an unlimited supply of wine.....

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #32
Get the sikaflex on the roof and also the brush sealant and your problems will be solved.
You will then be able to have that bottle of wine in peace.😄

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #33
As a precaution with mine when I got it I removed all of the old cracked and aged sealant which looked like a notch job from a previous owner anyway. I used Sikaflex on every seam and joint and when it was well dried week or so later I went over all of that with mastic on the roof seams I found and the skylights etc. It took a long time but it was worth it. See if you can raise it as mentioned and get a decent tarp over it and secure it down well if possible - even over the Luton and problem skylight area for some immediate respite from the weather.

What height is your van? I am in Armagh near Newry and could maybe help you out with a shed for a while to get the DIY work done although I know my 3.1m van can’t get under the door. The door is about 2.8m tall. Doh.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #34
Quote by gavster1

As a precaution with mine when I got it I removed all of the old cracked and aged sealant which looked like a notch job from a previous owner anyway. I used Sikaflex on every seam and joint and when it was well dried week or so later I went over all of that with mastic on the roof seams I found and the skylights etc. It took a long time but it was worth it. See if you can raise it as mentioned and get a decent tarp over it and secure it down well if possible - even over the Luton and problem skylight area for some immediate respite from the weather.

What height is your van? I am in Armagh near Newry and could maybe help you out with a shed for a while to get the DIY work done although I know my 3.1m van can’t get under the door. The door is about 2.8m tall. Doh.

Gavin, that’s so very kind of you, thank you. I think I’m seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I moved the MH onto a slope, covered any holes I could find with Gorilla Tape as a temporary measure and prayed to the Motorhome Gods for some good fortune.

After a night of very heavy rain, the inside of the MH seems to free from leaks! Hurrah! The Silkaflex arrived today so as soon as I get a rain free day, the Gorilla Tape will be replaced by Silkaflex. Then next task on the list will be coating the roof.

In the meantime the dehumidifier is going full blast and I’m hoping that my five months of work on the interior is salvageable.

And breathe.........

Liked by: adria, Ally, Blag, eirebus, ntg

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #35
If the Gorilla tape is keeping it out for now then I would suggest getting some mastic from eBay over the Sikaflex once it is well dried - a belt and braces job.

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #36
I'm no expert but it might be worth investigating further how damaged the roof currently is? Nobody knows how long it has been leaking so at least knowing the extent of the damage will hopefully lead you to the best next step. Might be better than sealing the whole roof first?

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #37
Quote by Stacks

I'm no expert but it might be worth investigating further how damaged the roof currently is? Nobody knows how long it has been leaking so at least knowing the extent of the damage will hopefully lead you to the best next step. Might be better than sealing the whole roof first?

We have carried out some internal work to the ceiling/roof. I’m worried about damage I can’t see. My thinking was that if I get the outside sealed and make it watertight, then I can address any damage after that. If that means I need to take down the ceiling, then I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and do it. My immediate concern is stopping any further water ingress.

Liked by: Stacks

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #38
Quote by Tee

My thinking was that if I get the outside sealed and make it watertight, then I can address any damage after that. My immediate concern is stopping any further water ingress.

That would be my thoughts.

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #39
Quote by Motorhome Craic

Quote by Tee

My thinking was that if I get the outside sealed and make it watertight, then I can address any damage after that. My immediate concern is stopping any further water ingress.

That would be my thoughts.

Thank you.....this is a very steep learning curve for me and I’m grateful for any advice from more experienced MH owners. 👍🏼

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #40
I think you are definitely on the right track. Stop the leaks as soon as possible, then you can assess the situation fully and take the next steps.

Liked by: eirebus, Tee

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.