sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 04.01.2018  ·  #441
Hi Kevin are you going to leave the stretchers in until you run it to put some heat in the manifold?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 04.01.2018  ·  #442
Quote by sprinter

Hi Kevin are you going to leave the stretchers in until you run it to put some heat in the manifold?

Yes I am. To try to avoid any shear stress issues.

I'm also in two minds about using the Stainless bolts for the manifolds. :-(

The more I read up on the subject, the more I learn about the downsides of using stainless in hi-temp applications. S/S bolts can stretch at high tempeatures which could result in leaks after a period of time. I must dig out my old college books and read up on metallurgy! :lol:

I might just swop out the stainless bolts and use standard grade 8 bolts and not think about it anymore... :lol:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 04.01.2018  ·  #443
Quote by Blag

Quote by sprinter

Yes I am. To try to avoid any shear stress issues.

I'm also in two minds about using the Stainless bolts for the manifolds. :-(

The more I read up on the subject, the more I learn about the downsides of using stainless in hi-temp applications. S/S bolts can stretch at high tempeatures which could result in leaks after a period of time. I must dig out my old college books and read up on metallurgy! :lol:

I might just swop out the stainless bolts and use standard grade 8 bolts and not think about it anymore... :lol:

I would be inclined to agreed stainless tends to get soft when heated . maybe 10.9 would be stronger with less stretch , also when you faced the manifold did you do it with the stretchers in place , if not you may have kicked them out of line when bolting them up .
Am I over thinking it ?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2018  ·  #444
All of my small parts were in boxes and buckets. Not ideal when it comes to finding stuff.

So I reorganised my shelves, fitted some lights over each shelf (benefits of working for an LED lighting company), and laid out all of the parts, making it easier to see whats what. Most of these parts need to be cleaned up and fitted to the camper...

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2018  ·  #445
Quote by sprinter
when you faced the manifold did you do it with the stretchers in place ,

Yep, milled with the stretchers in place.

The twist was there with and without the stretchers in place.

It wasn't out by much, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a quick pass.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #446
I might be going too deep with this update, but sher, here goes anyway. (Some of you petrolheads might be interested in what makes the Chevy V8 tick.)

I replaced quite a few top end parts when rebuilding the engine. Heads, gaskets, valves, camshaft, Cam bearings, hydraulic lifters, push rods, rockers, pivot balls etc. :shock:
Before I closed up the top of the engine, I wanted to check the rocker arm geometry to make sure all of the new components were correct. There's lots of ways to do it. Some complicated, some not. I chose the non-complicated route to suit my non-complicated brain. :lol:

A method demonstrated nicely by the Summit racing team on youtube - Rocker geometry (push rod) check:

Checking the geometry is done by marking all 16 valve tips with a marker before assembling the rockers and setting valve lash. Then, crank the engine over a few times by hand before taking the rockers off again and inspect where the marker has been rubbed away. If the marker is worn away centrally across the valve tip, then valve train geomerty is correct. If the wear mark is too high or too low on the tip then I'd have to get different length push rods to correct the geometry.
I'm glad to report all were good. Phew.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #447
Setting valve lash (or pre-load) is pretty straight forward too. Summit racing have it covered on youtube also.

In short - you set TDC on the exhaust stroke of cylinder #1 and then set valve lash in the sequence detailed below. Then once that's done, set TDC on #6 and set the remaining valves. Easy peasy (now that I've learned up on it!) :lol:

Using a dial-gauge to indicate when the exhaust lifters on #1 and #6 start to rise (part of the setting process).

Now that that's all done, I'll be fitting the old original rocker covers temporarily. I won't put on the new chrome covers until later on when the engine is in place. I don't want to damage the new ones.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 07.01.2018  ·  #448
She will be ready for Drag racing on the carrigrohan straight any day now. :lol:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2018  ·  #449
Quote by sprinter

She will be ready for Drag racing on the carrigrohan straight any day now. :lol:

:lol:

Hell yeah! If there's a +4.5 ton class in the drag race, I'm there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2018  ·  #450
I planned to start on the transmission today, but when I opened up the rebuild kit, I noticed that the new parts looked wrong. Even though the kit is labelled as a "full rebuild kit for TH400", the parts didn't match the description. Moterfu*ker...

I then started thinking maybe I should just run the transmission as it is and see what happens... :devil:

I decided to crack it open to have a look, but as expected there's all kinds of nasty going on inside... sludge, gel, and rust on the clutch packs & rotating assemblies.

I suppose I could flush it out, polish the steels and give it a punt, but I think i'll just wait for the correct rebuild kit to show up.

I was hoping to have the engine & trans fitted to the camper next weekend, but that aint gonna happen now. Ah well...

Output shaft housing:

Accumulator gunge:

Rust inside:

Any of that crap has the potential to clog the flters or block the narrow passageways in the valve body, so it needs to be stripped and cleaned 100%. I've been in touch with the parts supplier who were very apologetic. I should have the replacement kit in a couple of weeks hopefully.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 08.01.2018  ·  #451
Kevin . Have you decided who you would like to play the lead in the Film/Documentary. :D

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2018  ·  #452
Quote by sprinter

Kevin . Have you decided who you would like to play the lead in the Film/Documentary. :D

:lol:

Small'ish job this eve.

Cleaning up this heating control panel. No fancy climate controls to be found here. Just two levers and a fan control switch... :-).

I painted the backing plate (behind the acrylic) with some matt black spray, and polished up the acrylic face. Silvo polish did a good job revamping the scratched and faded surface. It's not perfect, but it's better than it was.

I also had to make a new lower mounting bracket. The one circled in red is new. The original had broken off and was MIA. I scratch made the new one from the leftover pieces of 3mm flat plastic sheet that I got to make the radio facia. A bit of a pain, but it turned out OK. I hope it holds!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #453
This is going to take a while...

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #454
Saint Patrick will sort out those snakes for you 😁

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #455
Quote by eirebus

Saint Patrick will sort out those snakes for you 😁

I wish he would!! :lol:

I spent most of the day at the fuse board. Taking everything apart and cleaning all the contacts and testing everything. Slow progress but getting there.

I priced new looms but at $750 plus delivery, I ain’t going that route!!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #456
The fuse block was in surprisingly good shape considering it was very grimey and had been exposed to rain water. But I pulled all the connectors and cleaned them up just to avoid problems later. There was only one melted contact which served the tail lights (photo below). It appears that the spring clip that the spade fuse slots into, was slightly loose, which caused the contact to heat up. It melted the surrounding plastic a little, but not enough to destroy the fuse block. With a bit of careful surgery (to remove the old spring contact), and then transplanting another contact taken from a redundant location, we were back in business. I made sure every other contact was tight to avoid this happening again...

Because our van is the base model with no additional accessories like A/C and central locking, the number of fuses you see below are all that are required to operate the vehicle. I will be adding 2 seperate fuse panels later to serve modern additions like 12v sockets, USB sockets etc, 12v fuel pump, etc. One fused panel will be constantly 'hot' and the other which is 'hot' only when the ignition is switched on. I dont want to go cutting into the original wiring too much if I can help it.

I removed the loom bindings and inspected each wire one by one, checking for cracks in the insulation or breaks in the wire. All were in good shape and still flexible. Before I re-wrapped the loom with fabric loom tape, I checked continuity on each wire with a multimeter. All good...

Melted:

Everything comes apart and is servicable:

All cleaned up and ready to go:

A jar on hand just in case... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #457
Long term you are probably better to swap the damaged fuse holder to a less important item. Tail lights are essential and pull alot of power over a period of time while the cab light uses less power and is used only periodically.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #458
since you have it in front of you , it might be worth considering separating the feeds and putting each side light/ tail light on its owen fuse ?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #459
Both are good points. Not only are the two 5w tail lights on that fuse, but I also think the front and rear overhead clearance lights are connected to this fuse. Thats ten more 5W bulbs on the same line. I could seperate them out onto their own fuse also...

I'll have to look at that, thanks for the suggestions lads!

K

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #460
Quote by Thorn123

Long term you are probably better to swap the damaged fuse holder to a less important item. Tail lights are essential and pull alot of power over a period of time while the cab light uses less power and is used only periodically.
Malcolm

When I cleaned up the holder, the melted plastic was only on the outer visible face. The connector was melted and stuck to it. But when I removed the old connector, and cleaned up the plastic surround, I noticed the shoulder that holds the connector in place was fine. So I removed a spare connector from elsewhere and it locked right into place when I pushed it into the hole. Everything lines up nice.

But I think ye're right, I'll split out the lines to reduce the loads just for safety.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2018  ·  #461
The installation tool for the Harmonic balancer arrived on Friday.

It threads into the end of the crankshaft. Wrenching on the nut gently & evenly presses the balancer into place on the end of the crank without putting stress on the crankshaft thrust bearings. The balancer is a friction fit on the crank. Some guys just use a big hammer to thwack it into place, but I prefer to spent a few bob and do it carefully.

Done.

I also opened up the water pump for a look. It had a little surface rust inside but it was in good shape.

Back cover de-rusted, zinc plated and reinstalled. This plate was very rusty on the outside but it cleaned up OK with a wirebrush. Some minor pitting as you can see, but it's a thick plate so I'm not concerned about it.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2018  ·  #462
Looking good Kevin,
Hope you have more time on your hands with the new job,
I have a feeling that once you fire it up for the first time after putting engine & box back in you will fly through the rest 👍

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #463
A much anticipated package arrived today.

All in order this time. :-)

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2018  ·  #464
Lesson learned this weekend?

Don't waste time on cheap eBay tools.

I spent half the day on Sunday trying to get this new brake pipe tool to make half decent double flares but it was a piece of crap. I thought it was me first, being a bit rusty not having made a brake flare in a couple of years... but I had to give up on it after a couple of frustrating hours.

It made OK(ish) 1/4" flares but the 3/16" flares were shite. I must've made 20 test pieces but I wouldn't put any of them on a vehicle.

The seller agreed to give me a refund this morning without hesitation so I guess they may already be aware of quality issues... Poorly made chinese POS, and not fitting together quite right, I should have known better.

I'll need to borrow my father-in-laws one.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2018  ·  #465
Kevin.... I have the proper pro one for bench use ... heavy piece of kit for posting... but
I also have a pro handheld one used for flaring pipes “on the vehicle” which is excellent.... can flare male/female on steel pipes without a problem.
If you’re stuck I’ll post it down to you, and when you’re sorted you can post it back...... It’s a proper professional tool, but is only for 3/16 standard brake pipes.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2018  ·  #466
Quote by JJF

If you’re stuck I’ll post it down to you, and when you’re sorted you can post it back......

Thanks John,

Hopefully My Father-in-law can spare his pro handheld set for a few days. (His ones are exactly like yours).

But if he can't, I'll give you a shout! :up: :-)

Cheers,

K

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2018  ·  #467
Now yer talkin’

First test piece of each sized tube... and bam... done. No f*cking around.

Time to start bending & fitting... :-)

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.02.2018  ·  #468
I made a start on the brake pipes this weekend..

#1 of many:

Wheel bearings cleaned & repacked with grease and the big oul' rotors and brake calipers now mounted. All beefy stuff.
New Raybestos brake lines and brake pads fitted also.

I've been in touch with a company down in Cork who can machine the brake discs for me. I'd like to get the discs skimmed back a couple of thou. The rear face of both discs are a bit pitted and I'd prefer to have them machined to make sure they're 100%. As soon as we're rolling, I'll bring the camper down and get this job done. They can do both sides of the disc at the same time (on the vehicle) which ensures the faces of the disc are parallel and are "true to the rotation of axis". Clever set up.

Example:

Pig tail pipes fitted between Master cylinder and brake balancing valve.

I also got cracking on the transmission. It's now stripped down completely. Next job is to degrease it and get ready for the rebuild.
That reminds me, I mustn't forget to soak the friction plates & bands in a dish of transmission fluid for a few days before I start reassembly, hopefully next weekend...
<No pics>

It's all go...

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #469
What a weekend!

I had Thursday and Friday off work due to the bad weather alert and I expected to get a ton of work done on the camper...

Wrong!

With the pending doom of 12" of snow and -10C temps, my Mrs asked me to make a "cat house" for the strays that live outside our back door, and a "bird feeder" for the wildlife... That was most of Thursday taken up. Quite enjoyable too. Pics to follow.

The heavy snow really messed us up on Friday! Between power cuts, frozen pipes and our oil fired Central heating packing up on Friday morning, it's wasn't a good one... It was Saturday am before I could get a relative with a 4x4 to drive to town to get parts for the boiler... Nightmare.

Saturday afternoon was spent playing in the snow with the kids.

I only did a few bits to the camper on Sunday. Following a big tidy-up in the workshop, I finished the calipers and the pipe runs on the front axle. I'll wait until the weather improves before I tackle the brakes on the back axle...

I didn't touch the transmission at all, it was so cold it was hard to get much done. :-(

A couple of pics:

I re-made the brake line between the balancing valve and the kerb-side caliper as the first one I made was a bit long and it looked a bit goofy.
(The Yellow blobs you see on the nuts are Dykem tamper paint which shows me which nuts have been torqued down).

Routing the off-side brake line across the front beam...

... and over to the off-side caliper:

I also took the upper grill header off, to get access to the engine bay and get ready to fit the engine & transmission...

Only two pipes fitted in 4 available days!! ... not what you'd call great progress... Ah well, hopefully next weekend will be more productive!! :lol:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #470
Oh,

I also booked a date for the Theory test for a C licence... 31st March... Getting the ball rolling on that malarchy...

So I'll be doing some study over the next couple of weeks for that!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #471
Kevin. you just put me in mind , of when this week in 1970 , I got my D licence in a Second W W green Goddess fire engine .
I trust you'll have as good an outcome.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #472
Quote by sprinter

Kevin. you just put me in mind , of when this week in 1970 , I got my D licence in a Second W W green Goddess fire engine .

Nice!

I hope so Martin. Seems a waste of time & money going to the hassle of getting a C licence (or C1) just to drive a camper, but tis the law, so I better get in line...

Who knows, I might decide to become a truck driver! :-)

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #473
Cat house:

I didn't have much plywood, but I had plenty of acrylic sheeting so the two cats got a contemporary villa, (with a small IR heat lamp)... Tucked in underneath the camper. They couldn't have been happier @ 25c in there...... My Mrs likes the fact she can see if the cats are in it, from the Kitchen window. They're happy that they can see her approaching with their next can of cat food...

On Friday Morning there was 12" of snow up against the side of it, and the two boys were looking out at us happy as Lar...

BTW, I am NOT a fan of cats to say the least. :devil:

The Birds got a small feeder with a copper-clad roof (from an old immersion tank). :lol:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #474
Quote by Blag

Quote by sprinter

Nice!

I hope so Martin. Seems a waste of time & money going to the hassle of getting a C licence (or C1) just to drive a camper, but tis the law, so I better get in line...

Who knows, I might decide to become a truck driver! :-)

Or win the Lotto and then want to buy a Big Ass touring motorhome. ( for a project mind you ) none of this new stuff. :D

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #475
Ffs blag!!! As if I didn't feel inadequate enough when seeing the level of attention, detail and quality you demonstrate in the work on your camper.... I propped a pallet that had a solid top up between the wall and the bin thus creating a potential temporary wildlife Sanctuary... By solely providing a roof.... I was happy with my efforts till 30 seconds ago 😂

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #476
Quote by killiand

I was happy with my efforts till 30 seconds ago 😂

Every little helps 😉😉

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #477
Quote by killiand

I propped a pallet that had a solid top up between the wall and the bin thus creating a potential temporary wildlife Sanctuary... By solely providing a roof....

Good thinking! Why didn’t I think of that!! :-)
Either way you did a good thing by looking after the wildlife.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #478
Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2018  ·  #479
Quote by Flipperdipper

Not up to your standard Kevin but still a mighty project to take on.
https://www.instructables.com/…dium=email

Thats pretty cool. I like it.

The hydronic system he's building is very interesting too...

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 07.03.2018  ·  #480
Quote by Blag

Quote by Flipperdipper

Not up to your standard Kevin but still a mighty project to take on.
https://www.instructables.com/…dium=email

Thats pretty cool. I like it.

The hydronic system he's building is very interesting too...

See told you , you might need that license :D

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.