Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Take 2, we’re off this time !

· 
Posted: 09.01.2018  ·  #1
Well, we’ve got this far....
Well on board the Stena Horizon anyway on 9th January.
Planned on being away October, December and supposedly this day last week but the weather put a stop to that and other things beyond our control Prevented our previous dates. So yesterday, (Monday) we left home about 3pm and meandered south and overnighted at Skerries in north Co.Dublin, a lovely town and had a quiet night right at the sea front there and onward this morning towards Rosslare via a bit of retail therapy in swords retail park !

So here we are, the Mrs and I and a pair of mutts on route to Cherbourg with a loose plan of heading south in chase of something called “the sun” !...... hopefully Spain being where we will end up......
but at this present moment in time all we know is that with a bit of luck we will be in Cherbourg sometime tomorrow and will overnight somewhere within an hour or so of the port, then make our way south after that.

So, some advice regarding a route would be good, thinking Bordeaux, San-Sebastian, Irun and south towards Valencia and south down the coast...... but weather in northern Spain a bit “iffy” at the moment.......so
maybe south towards Bordeaux then via Toulouse to the Med coast and over the border to Spain and onward via Barcelona ?

What’s your thoughts? Toll/non toll or a mix? Best route? Stops?

Thinking of stopping off for a week or so somewhere north of Benidorm (Altea/Calpe) and make a call then where to next..... but intend going on south till the sun pokes its head out !

So now we’re off, the first step taken and sat at the bar typing this.....
Catch up with you all tomorrow.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Take 2, we’re off this time !

· 
Posted: 09.01.2018  ·  #2
Have a fantastic trip both of you & the mutts!

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #3
Non toll is spot on down to la rochelle, slower after that but all depends on how fast you want to hit the warmer weather. Calpe is great, spent a week around there in November. Have a great trip

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #4
Stay in Citi De la mer in Cherbourg itself and have a look around , and nice walks for dog's too if you're not in a hurry anywhere Bon journey

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #5
Have a great safe trip! If you find the sun will you please take a photo? I'd love to see it 😆

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #6
Jealousy doesn't even start to describe it... safe trips and enjoy it for me!!! :D

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #7
Ah thats brilliant. St jean de mont is a nice town in summer, might be quiet this time of year though. Have a great trip, keep us updated and tell the sun we are looking forward to its visit.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #8
Hi Jon, If you want to make a little headway ,out of the boat and follow the bypass up to the top of hill and there is a big supermarket on the right. Nosay has a Aire and a supermarket. Look at accuu weather for Cherbourg it has a radar screen and it showing no rain towards Nantes All the rain is lying over to the left towards Le Mans.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #9
Jon, forgot to say the mileage from Poitiers to Toulouse is the same as Bordeaux to Toulouse. If you are going that way you could save a good bit of time by cutting that corner off

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #10
Thanks everyone.
Well, bit choppy for first couple hours out of Rosslare and all quiet after that.
Boat is all but empty, lots of freight and maybe 10 motorhomes, so nice and quiet.
Sat up here at front and blue skies and a flat ocean.
Dogs in kennels, downstairs on deck 4.... much better option than the outside kennels on deck 5 and you can visit as many times and whatever times you want.... so one to remember..... ask for the deck 4 kennels, we’ve just walked and fed them.

Thanks for the suggestions, we will overnight somewhere near Cherbourg and now looking up Dave and Paddy’s suggestions now... need to service the van anyway so an Aire with water etc required......
Will definately head by la-Rochelle and make the call on the route when near Bordeaux..... if weather is kind(ish) we won’t be in any hurry southward and will take our time.... if raining and cold we’ll rack up the miles south. Would like the northern Spain route but we can leave that for another visit if required.

So here’s a pic as we look out of the window now.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Take 2, we’re off this time !

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #11
Great to hear you had a good crossing ,there is a lot of snow warning across northern Spain .out friends in Valencia say it they had thunder and hail at the weekend ,sunny now and no snow.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #12
The weather down by Algeciras has been dismal. Thunderstorms, hail, high winds, torrential rain. Seems over to the east is faring a lot better. So if I was doing it, it would be Cherbourg, Le Mans, Poitiers, Barcelona and then it starts to warm up. Enjoy, whatever your decision.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #13
Have a great, safe trip Jon and Jackie and off course the dogs.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #14
Well, relatively handy southerly trip from Cherbourg, about 30KM to a wee town called Montebourg which is just off the dual carriageway and a handy stop.
Aire, with water, grey waste, Cassette point and rubbish bins which is all free is our stop for the night....... bakery spotted for the morning croissants 🥐

Thanks Nick/Martin for the suggestions, looks like a trip down by Poitiers and onward then. Nice clear skies here tonight but I think it is going to be cold.

Few pics of the aire and screenshot of the town we’re in.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #15
Jon just down the road is St-Marie-san-Englise ,that is the famous church where the paratrooper hung by his parachute to the steeple while the invasion went on below him. and believe it or not survived the war.

doron
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #16
Freezing fog here,when u hit the sun send us some.

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #17
Have a great trip.
Jealous as hell!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #18
Early start, and into pretty heavy fog for about 100KM, cleared and good weather for the rest of this leg of the trip. So onwards via Le-Mans and Tours, through Poitiers and onwards for tonight’s stop at a small town called Couhé and an aire in the middle, 3 other vans here with us tonight. Quick shop in local Super U left us set up for the evening.
Lots of spaces, water/waste/disposal all laid on free.
Will head by Limoges and Toulouse and onwards via Carccassonne towards the Spanish border tomorrow.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #19
Making a lot of us very jealous! Have a great trip and hope the sun shows its face....

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #20
St.Antoine tonight, just north of Toulouse... small village, 1 restaurant/pub/Baker...... 10 place aire, all services inc... & free
Tell me why I love France again !...
Nice run down, stopped twice for food and walked the dogs. Weather kind but sun only teasing us yet, I think it’s hiding behind the Pyrenees, waiting to frighten us !....

Tip .... fill with fuel when off the motorways.... consistency €1.52/€1.60 per litre on motorways, Super U and small town stations at around €1.21 per litre.
May make Spain tomorrow.

(Our stop tonight, upper left with green marker)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #21
Jon, you're right about the fuel prices, we noticed that when we were there last August.
Another thing to watch for it city diesel especially near bigger towns and cities because it is the bio stuff that some engines don't like.
Enjoy finding the sun.
Malcolm

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #22
French fuel prices have always been to same. Total rip off on autoroutes. Most of the autoroute service stations are now super market owned. I don't put supermarket fuel in any vehicle unless I have to.

It's too late now but there is a nice private Aire at Castelnau-de-Montmiral. It is too close to where you are tonight but it may be an option for your return trip.
It's a great spot with a swimming pool which is nice in august.
Enjoy your trip

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #23
Quote by Thorn123

Jon, you're right about the fuel prices, we noticed that when we were there last August.
Another thing to watch for it city diesel especially near bigger towns and cities because it is the bio stuff that some engines don't like.
Enjoy finding the sun.
Malcolm

I thought all french diesel contained 10% bio. Don't know how through it is but I was told that someone from Ireland went over to France with a new Motorhome a couple years ago and it recognised the differnt Diesel and shut it self down until it was reprogrammed

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #24
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by Thorn123

Enjoy finding the sun.
Malcolm

I thought all french diesel contained 10% bio. Don't know how through it is but I was told that someone from Ireland went over to France with a new Motorhome a couple years ago and it recognised the differnt Diesel and shut it self down until it was reprogrammed

I would say that if it shut itself down that would have been more to do with bad diesel, I have covered quite a few miles on the Continent in different motorhomes without ever having a problem with the fuel but would never use that city fuel if I could avoid it.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #25
Across the border tonight and in an Aire here on the Spanish side called Cantallops.
Place for 10 motorhomes and full services...... & free !
Narrow twisty mountain road up to it for 4 KM, but a smashing view from the aire....
Award winning restaurant across the road .. see Here.
Quiet drive down, except for Toulouse, busy ring road. Run from Perpignan across to the Spanish side was very picturesque with the snow capped mountains....
Onwards tomorrow towards Salou for a stop, maybe a couple of days.

(Our stop tonight, lower right side with green marker.)

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #26
I’m watching you closely. That’s the same route I’m thinking of taking in June. Thanks for all the information. Happy trails

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #27
An easy day after a Sunday sleep-in, quiet peaceful night in this super aire.
Awoke, breakfast and the mandatory “fill & empty” routine on the van and off we set about midday.
Down the coast staying off the AP7 (toll) to just north of Barcelona, then on to the toll road to miss Barcelona and off again 20 mile north of Salou (about €20 toll saving and road is excellent anyway) to a small site called ‘Area340’ in Port Romà. Just €8 for the night inc services, an extra €4 for electric if you want but our batteries full with driving and solar panel so not required in our case. Really friendly chap who owns it, it’s a small site and he lives here and very helpful indeed. Only downside is that the motorway noise is apparent but not too bad. If you want a look at it it’s on Campercontact app, #48059.
Fuel cheaper in Spain, around €1.20 - €1.25 on the non toll road down.
Onwards tomorrow to our stop for a week or so, Calpe/Altea/Benidorm area....
Oooh, and yes..... sun has made an appearance... but she needs to still heat up a bit...

We’re the ‘blue dot’ on bottom Left.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #28
Making lots of notes. We got as far as Narbonne last year, so maybe........

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #29
nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #30
Doing well, missing nothing here,wind cold and rain.Look s like 3good days for you about 17, did you know there is a ferry from Denia to Ibza also it is a nice little town worth a look.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #31
JJF keep updating us as I’m really enjoying them! 😆

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #32
Yesterday, Monday we tripped down the A7 (non toll) road from our stop north of Salou and did a couple of hours and had a stop for coffee and a break. Staying off the AP7 (toll) isn’t any heartache and saves about €30 on this leg of the trip.
The run down was nice, great views and the sun shone all the way down and I even got the heater controls on the van set on the little “blue” setting, something we seldom see!
We decided to make a stop on Benidorm for a few nights so we hopped on the toll road south of Valencia and had a real handy run the whole way down and made up time and arrived around 4pm, the cost of this toll was €13.60.
We are in the La-Toretta site last night and tonight. To be honest it’s quite a cramped space, lots of long term clients and mostly British, but all very friendly and a good atmosphere.
Benidorm is one of those places I can take or leave, I like to get out of the bustle and rush it portrays, but it does have its charms in a strange way. It is super cheap to eat out, alcohol and cigarettes is cheap , but since both of us don’t partake (we’ll Jackie anyway) ! it is of no real consequence.... but food shopping is handy an inexpensive.
Weather today...... well it hit 20deg for a time and sunshine all day and we are enjoying good walks with the dogs and sitting out in the sun... and yes, we’ve got the weather reports from home which sound dire !
Tomorrow we move a couple of minutes drive to another site that have a better deal than here as this isn’t an ACSI site, but the other one is, camping Villasol..... another big site but with bigger pitches and better facilities and a good offer of 7 nights for the price of 6 with all services inc electric.
So.... so far so good ..... just off to the bar to have a craic with some of the patrons, catch up soon.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #33
It's a hard life, but someone has to live it!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy it because it's freezing the balls off a brass monkey here.
Malcolm

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #34
love reading this on this awful wintry night, snowing here in dublin! keep posting

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #35
Quote by JJF

Tomorrow we move a couple of minutes drive to another site that have a better deal than here as this isn’t an ACSI site, but the other one is, camping Villasol..... another big site but with bigger pitches and better facilities and a good offer of 7 nights for the price of 6 with all services inc electric.

I was just looking at their website, campsite villasol in Benidorm and it states no pet's allowed,maybe you should check it out just in case.

denboye
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #36
JJF ur blog is first class, I know what you mean about Benidorm, last yr booked into camping Amarillo for 2 nights lucky to get good pitch & stayed 2 weeks. Will be interested to hear ur view on camping Villasol. We leave 17/2 & taking much the same route as yourselves. Enjoy Benidorm.
👍😀

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #37
Great updates. Sitting in an office wishing i was there.
Keep her lit.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #38
Quote by petie

I was just looking at their website, campsite villasol in Benidorm and it states no pet's allowed,maybe you should check it out just in case.

100% correct petie.... dogs aren’t permitted and we and another Dutch van were told so on arrival, and to be honest I didnt check the website and wrongly assumed it would be dog friendly as all the ACSI sites we visited are. Fully understand their policy and lesson learned to check beforehand.......but, hey-ho... no big worries... another few hundred yards and problem solved... (see answer below)......
Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Quote by denboye

JJF ur blog is first class, I know what you mean about Benidorm, last yr booked into camping Amarillo for 2 nights lucky to get good pitch & stayed 2 weeks. Will be interested to hear ur view on camping Villasol. We leave 17/2 & taking much the same route as yourselves. Enjoy Benidorm.
👍😀

Bingo !......
It’s where we are now, and on a large spacious pitch (142, below shower block).
Lovely site and nice reception area. €102 for entire week inc electric, grey and black water disposal on our pitch and water tap at back of van....... perfect.
It’s also a good site to dander into the old town too, something we will do tomorrow.

Today, moved from La-Toretta and after the “Villasol incident” LOL..... we headed up to camping Armanello where they had 4 pitches free, one big pitch which we took right away and tonight the site is full. Restaurant and bar is busy too.
Pitched up, seats out, hooked up, and sitting in the sun by 12:30 and that was pretty much our day, hit the 20deg mark about 2pm.
Dogs out for the mandatory 5K tonight along the pedestrian route that leads to town and up around the ring road and back to site.

Full UK Telly hook up on site free too, so feet up, beer in hand and settle in to a film.....
tough this craic !! 😎😎😎

Quote by ROBANDSUE

Great updates. Sitting in an office wishing i was there.
Keep her lit.

Get er booked !!

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #39
Don't be worrying about Donegal, we'll struggle on with the snow thats about to arrive.

Great blog, btw. Very jealous. :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #40
Oh my God how the other half live? Where did I go wrong? I’ve just decided that envy is no longer a sin? 😝

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.