· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #1

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Achill

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #2
I have just replied to someone looking for stops on Achill. Having read the article presented by Ally I think on my next trip to Achill will seek out the owner of The Dugort site and discuss the problems he says he has with campers staying outside his premises.
Anyone trying to park "outside his site" would have to take up half the road as there are no margins to the entrance to the site. Also if he took the time to make his site more presentable he might get a few more people to stay. Some friends of ours who parked opposite the pub on one occasion , who checked out the site and decided to stay where they were .........had to move at three in the morning after having the van rocked and verbal abuse shouted at them. Many years ago we stayed in a mobile on this site. We accepted the less than standard facilities as we were paying for what we got. Times change and having seen the site last year .......the owners need a reality check.
Methinks it's a case of campers having a look getting a price and deciding to stay at the large open area opposite the pub.

Let me state.....that I would not park at or near a site .....and then use the facilities. Anyone who does so is giving us all a bad name.

It's the same old story .......there are two sides ......just happens the site owner got his in first. :up: :sleep:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Mayo County Call for Clampdown on overnight parking

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #3
Quote by biffo

Let me state.....that I would not park at or near a site .....and then use the facilities. Anyone who does so is giving us all a bad name.

It's the same old story .......there are two sides ......just happens the site owner got his in first. :up: :sleep:

Couldn't agree more.

I think that overpriced site owners fail to see the logic that no matter where we park, we are not going to use their overpriced sites if we do not want to. If we get moved we will go somewhere else, it will not drive us onto their sites.

Why do they not, as has been said on numerous occasions, have an area for servicing Motorhomes where they could charge £10 per night, instead of alienating us all away from their sites.

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #4
A chat by someone with Anton McNulty might see a follow up article from the campers viewpoint....might be worth a try if someone local would give it a shot.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2012  ·  #5
i stayed on that site a few years ago and would not go back if he paid me to stay on it, its 30 years out of date with todays prices the only thing he keeps up with. the pub was too noisy to stay near too

Phoebe
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2012  ·  #6
We have stayed at keel sandybank for the past 4 years, starting with a tent to a folding camper van to a caravan and hoping to go back next year in our campervan, (we've only had it 2 weeks). I can't recommend this site enough. Tho would like to do a bit more wild camping now that we can with the flexibility of the camper. but I find these sites that are complaining don't actually have the space when you ring up to book in, they are always fully booked - unless your booking a year in advance! :D

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.