Leisure battery

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

Leisure battery

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #1
Hi, know nothing about these lads...just wondering if there is a specific place I can go to get one and fitted. The 16 year old in Halfords had no clue what I was talking about

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Re: Leisure battery

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #2
Do you think that you haven't got one fitted? or do you want a new one?

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #3
Oh sorry, I do have one under the little pull out bed. My mechanic said its flat and not working. Recommended getting a new one. He also said I need a new van battery. In fairness to him, Id say I do as she has been idle for a while.

I dont mind getting things done or paying for them but i HATE going to garages ahhhhh

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #4
halfords were doing a 115amp a while age for 83 euro. really good price.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #5
good timing - as it's recommended (to the best of my knowledge!) that you replace them both together! If you don't want to go to halfords - you could try maynooth motorhomes?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #6
Replacing both together only applies if 2 leisure batteries are being fitted together,

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #7
Cheers.... Everyday is a school day...!! :)

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #8
Angela,
Are your batteries getting a charge when you plug it in?

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #9
Quote by killiand

good timing - as it's recommended (to the best of my knowledge!) that you replace them both together! If you don't want to go to halfords - you could try maynooth motorhomes?

mynooth motorhomes...sounds like a place I need to be !

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #10
I have a halfords leisure bat and works just fine, they do offer two years warranty. Does the job just fine and you should be OK replacing them separately.

Cheers,
Rami

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #11
Thanks guys. rang Maynooth Motorhomes and he did the sucking air in through the teeth "big job" speal. Charles Camping much more helpful. Need to ask some things like

- Is there a constant trickle in the battery ( dont really know what that means)
- Can i turn on the switch that powers the cool box while I drive so the food is cooled while I go somewhere (beer)
- Once I have a leisure battery and its fully charged can I retire to bed and have a 500w heater on ( and for how long not EHU)
- Once the leisure battery is fully charged can i plug in my phone to charge etc - as in work away as I would at home
- How do I know how charged it is... they say it shouldn't be left completely drain but is there a little indicator anywhere sort of like the phone that would tell you.

all other suggestions for questions for the battery dummy welcome :)

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #12
115 amp leisure battery in Halfords is €118 on website. Discount with AXA card (dolmen insurance policy).

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #13
Thanks guys. rang Maynooth Motorhomes and he did the sucking air in through the teeth "big job" speal. Charles Camping much more helpful. Need to ask some things like

- Is there a constant trickle in the battery ( dont really know what that means)
Probably means is there a drain on the battery or is the battery being charged when engine is running
- Can i turn on the switch that powers the cool box while I drive so the food is cooled while I go somewhere (beer)
Yes, providing the battery is being charged by a split charge system.
- Once I have a leisure battery and its fully charged can I retire to bed and have a 500w heater on ( and for how long not EHU)
NO
- Once the leisure battery is fully charged can i plug in my phone to charge etc - as in work away as I would at home
Yes, within reason. A good leisure battery will charge a phone without issue.
- How do I know how charged it is... they say it shouldn't be left completely drain but is there a little indicator anywhere sort of like the phone that would tell you.
Yes, you can install a volt meter to give you an indication of state of charge.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #14
Great response from JJF above!

Adding to it:

Generating heat with electricity is the least efficient thing you can ever do... heating, hair dryer, microwaves, etc... they would only be advisable on EHU or even looking at gas alternatives (in case of heating/cooking).

To charge phones, I would highly recommend getting a USB battery bank you can get really good ones of 10.000mha or more that will charge your phones quite a few times before they go flat and you can always charge them on the go with a cigarette lighter charger (as you're driving or EHU). There are a few with solar panels as well, but now sure how fast they charge.

Cheers,
Rami

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #15
Suggest you try Europower Battery Centre 31 Tolka Valley Business Park, Glasnevin, Dublin 11 (01)8300884 www.europower.ie
I bought 2 Banner Leisure Battery,s last year and I found them very helpfull.

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #16
Quote by JJF

Probably means is there a drain on the battery or is the battery being charged when engine is running
Yes, providing the battery is being charged by a split charge system.
NO
Yes, within reason. A good leisure battery will charge a phone without issue.
Yes, you can install a volt meter to give you an indication of state of charge.

thanks, you should just come with me on my trips !

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #17
Quote by RTV

Great response from JJF above!

Adding to it:

Generating heat with electricity is the least efficient thing you can ever do... heating, hair dryer, microwaves, etc... they would only be advisable on EHU or even looking at gas alternatives (in case of heating/cooking).

To charge phones, I would highly recommend getting a USB battery bank you can get really good ones of 10.000mha or more that will charge your phones quite a few times before they go flat and you can always charge them on the go with a cigarette lighter charger (as you're driving or EHU). There are a few with solar panels as well, but now sure how fast they charge.

Cheers,
Rami

Thanks, can you advise how to generate a bit of heat so off electricity..is it gas ? like a small gas heater ? thanks

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #18
Definitely not something powered solely of the leisure battery.
You really have 2 options, both that work with little electrical input.

Gas / Diesel

The blown type of heater, like propex or Eberspacher which use gas or diesel. They burn the flame and vent all monoxide/fumes to the exterior via a small exhaust and blow the warm air in via a heat exchanger. Very safe and has the benefit of models having timers and thermostats...... but expensive to buy.

A fixed gas powered caravan heater, specifically designed for use as all fumes are vented to the exterior. No naked flames are burnt to the vehicle interior. Safe and quite efficient, also available widely secondhand and relatively inexpensive. Use no power at all to run except for the ignition which is usually manual anyway. Downside is that they are quite big and need quite a large hole made in the floor to accommodate the unit so may not be a runner in a van conversion. This one is cheap, Caravan Heater on e-bay, but you need to get someone knowledgeable to evaluate if it can be fitted and you have room for it. It is also the floor vented model so easy to fit as no ducting is required for a flue.

There is mixed views on using a naked flame heaters in vans (heaters not designed to be vented to the exterior).... for what’s its worth I wouldn’t reccomend their use in a van because of the higher risk of carbon monoxide fumes and also for safety reasons.

Whatever way you go I think a CO detector is required.

I have fitted a few of these to conversions, they work well and are efficient.
You can get one that integrates heating and water heating too but are expensive.
This one from ebay is relatively good value and work really well.
See Propex heater on e-bay

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #19
Quote by JJF

Definitely not something powered solely of the leisure battery.
You really have 2 options, both that work with little electrical input.

Gas / Diesel

The blown type of heater, like propex or Eberspacher which use gas or diesel. They burn the flame and vent all monoxide/fumes to the exterior via a small exhaust and blow the warm air in via a heat exchanger. Very safe and has the benefit of models having timers and thermostats...... but expensive to buy.

A fixed gas powered caravan heater, specifically designed for use as all fumes are vented to the exterior. No naked flames are burnt to the vehicle interior. Safe and quite efficient, also available widely secondhand and relatively inexpensive. Use no power at all to run except for the ignition which is usually manual anyway. Downside is that they are quite big and need quite a large hole made in the floor to accommodate the unit so may not be a runner in a van conversion. This one is cheap, Caravan Heater on e-bay, but you need to get someone knowledgeable to evaluate if it can be fitted and you have room for it. It is also the floor vented model so easy to fit as no ducting is required for a flue.

There is mixed views on using a naked flame heaters in vans (heaters not designed to be vented to the exterior).... for what’s its worth I wouldn’t reccomend their use in a van because of the higher risk of carbon monoxide fumes and also for safety reasons.

Whatever way you go I think a CO detector is required.

I have fitted a few of these to conversions, they work well and are efficient.
You can get one that integrates heating and water heating too but are expensive.
This one from ebay is relatively good value and work really well.
See Propex heater on e-bay

wow thanks ! so much i didnt know and still learning. I heard myself talking to a colleague in the canteen the other day and i sounded like an expert hahah

so basically Im looking at a hot whiskey and thermal underwear :)

im just really thinking about that 1st half hour when you wake up- you know the miserable one. or when you get in from the rain. i dont really suffer from the cold but knowledge is power. thank you

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #20
we turn on the gas heater. after a while we have to turn it off, gets very hot.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.