Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Northern Ireland couple drugged and robbed in France

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #1
Apparently this is on the front page of today's Belfast Telegraph. Couple drugged and robbed whilst sleeping in their motorhome in France.

I'm sure it's a one off and I hope it was none of our members.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co…19039.html

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Northern Ireland couple drugged and robbed in France

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #2
Insurance job, too much to drink.

I don't believe it. Cynical, Moi?

"The fact that I woke up and saw a man standing over my wife and was totally incapable of doing anything about it has upset me greatly - he could have been murdering her and all I could do was close my eyes," Ivan told the Belfast Telegraph.

"But as I drove down the road, I started to remember things."

He recalled a chilling "dream" that he felt was too cruel to share with his wife, who suffers from anxiety.

"When I say I woke up, I mean my eyes half-opened and then closed very heavily," he explained.

"But I saw someone in the room and they were leaning over Anne just inches away from where I was sleeping opposite her - but I dismissed it as a weird dream."

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #3
This incident is different to the usual mythical 'gassing' stories. The fact that they seem to have been injected gives much more credibility to their claims. I would like to know had a door been forced or had they slept with open windows to allow the alleged thief entry into the van. With out this piece of information I would withhold my judgement.

Reading the article, and I may have the wrong take on it, they seem to have overnighted on a motorway service station. We all know this is not advised as the likelihood of break in and robbery are proven to be more likely.

A look on search for sites.co.uk indicates a motorway rest area. The only other facility nearby is a france passion stop.

Whatever the cause, they have my sympathy.

Davy

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #4
Have to agree with you Davy. It sounds very much like they stopped at a motorway aire which is a no no. How did he gain entry...forced door, window or what. They didnt notice how he got in ? Hard to make a judgement call without knowing how he got in.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #5
I can accept someone not waking because an intruder was stealthy and silent, but 2 people not waking whilst being injected surprises me.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #6
Once upon an insurance scam ......blah ....blah ....blah

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Betty Swollocks

I can accept someone not waking because an intruder was stealthy and silent, but 2 people not waking whilst being injected surprises me.

That bit has me puzzled too.

DamoG
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #8
So somebody broke in and injected something into both of them without either hearing break in or feeling a needle being pushed into their arms lol who are they kidding lol more like monies gambled away and excuse needed for her in doors lol .. maybe aliens are up to no good again :alien:😲

Ruairi og
Craic'er
My Motorhome: converted transit high roof
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #9
Did one of the victims not post the story here?
I read it somewhere, maybe Facebook.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Davy

Reading the article, and I may have the wrong take on it, they seem to have overnighted on a motorway service station. We all know this is not advised as the likelihood of break in and robbery are proven to be more likely.

A look on search for sites.co.uk indicates a motorway rest area. The only other facility nearby is a france passion stop.

Whatever the cause, they have my sympathy.

Davy

It's quoted that 'halfway into an 11 hour drive to their final destination they pulled in at a busy campsite along the A10 motorway near the town of Saint Leger Ouest'

Does sound a bit implausible though.
It always make me wonder when in such reports there is no evidence of forced entry and the morning after symptoms are consistent with a drop of wine the night before after a long drive which probably left the 'victim' fairly knackered.

When I worked we had a certain person who was on holidays in France (why is it always France !!!) who had his company car broken into and his laptop and other valuable equipment taken, the same individual was known for his 'taking ways' and was eventually fired for an event unrelated to his 'misfortune' in France.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #11
Quote by DamoG

So somebody broke in and injected something into both of them without either hearing break in or feeling a needle being pushed into their arms lol who are they kidding lol more like monies gambled away and excuse needed for her in doors lol .. maybe aliens are up to no good again :alien:😲

They either had to much vino or were dreaming,either way i would say that this is a load of crap

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #12
5 hours and a bit to Aire de St Léger, A10 Aire de St Léger, 17800 Pons, France, ( Busy campsite I don't think so )
what ferry gets into Cherbourg between 7 and 8 am summer sailing ? ( St Leger before lunch )
What were they doing for 10 1/2 hours. ( before the went to bed )

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

the plot thickens

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #13
Quote by sprinter

5 hours and a bit to Aire de St Léger, A10 Aire de St Léger, 17800 Pons, France, ( Busy campsite I don't think so )
what ferry gets into Cherbourg between 7 and 8 am summer sailing ? ( St Leger before lunch )
What were they doing for 10 1/2 hours. ( before the went to bed )

spill the beans?

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #14
My husband is a very heavy sleeper and hard to waken but he says he would if someone stuck a needle in his arm it's hard to believe.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #15
I think a lot on here will agree that northern ireland is a smallish motorhoming community,

Does anybody know the couple?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #16
Quote by eirebus

Once upon an insurance scam ......blah ....blah ....blah

Well if they are Insured with Dolmen they will be very Disappointed as they don't cover Cash stolen from a Motorhome.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #17
Nah, I don't believe it.... We stayed in the Autoroute services many times with never a problem. Always park near others and not far from the shop/restaurant in a lit area.Common sense really....

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #18
The last thing they remembered was a guy with a handkerchief asking "Does this smell like chloroform to you?"

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #19
Quote by PaulH

Nah, I don't believe it.... We stayed in the Autoroute services many times with never a problem. Always park near others and not far from the shop/restaurant in a lit area.Common sense really....

I've done about a 100k km in Europe over the past 12 years and spent hundreds of nights on Aires but would NEVER stay overnight on a motorway or N road Aire de Repose (Rest Area).

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #20
Quote by baguette

Quote by PaulH

I've done about a 100k km in Europe over the past 12 years and spent hundreds of nights on Aires but would NEVER stay overnight on a motorway or N road Aire de Repose (Rest Area).

I did say services, not the plain, rest areas. Theyre ok for a break during the day , but not an overnight. We did France for 8 years as a family and, as I said, spent nights in service areas many times. 👍

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #21
Having been robbed myself whilst travelling in France I know what this couple are going through and will go through for the next few years physiologically ,They have many similarities to what happened to us whilst on a packed campsite in the Loire valley when five units were broken into and robbed whilst the occupants were sleeping.We should be supporting this couple and not assuming that they are only looking for an insurance claim,there are many ways which we can be robbed of our possessions which I can assure you are totally beyond our control.This is happening quite often in France and I would now be very reluctant to park just anywhere ,if it doesn't feel safe we move on.It's only when it happens to your self you will understand . I'm sure over the next few months this couple will hear all sorts of explanations of what could have happened,the only ones who really know are the persons who robbed them.Hope they are well and recover from their ordeal soon.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #22
Quote by PaulH

Quote by baguette

Quote by PaulH

I did say services, not the plain, rest areas. Theyre ok for a break during the day , but not an overnight. We did France for 8 years as a family and, as I said, spent nights in service areas many times. 👍

Quote by petie

Having been robbed myself whilst travelling in France I know what this couple are going through and will go through for the next few years physiologically ,They have many similarities to what happened to us whilst on a packed campsite in the Loire valley when five units were broken into and robbed whilst the occupants were sleeping.We should be supporting this couple and not assuming that they are only looking for an insurance claim,there are many ways which we can be robbed of our possessions which I can assure you are totally beyond our control.This is happening quite often in France and I would now be very reluctant to park just anywhere ,if it doesn't feel safe we move on.It's only when it happens to your self you will understand . I'm sure over the next few months this couple will hear all sorts of explanations of what could have happened,the only ones who really know are the persons who robbed them.Hope they are well and recover from their ordeal soon.

I did mean to include motorway rest areas attached to services when I mentioned Aire de Repose. There is just too much of a constant through of visitors 24/7 which does include those with a thieving disposition.

And yes, one is vulnerable to being broken into on a caravan and camping site, as is the case even at home, and my sympathies go out to such victims.

However, the common thread of drugging or gassing with no signs of forcible entry at roadside service/rest areas AND the lack of a death due to an overdose being administered by unqualified criminals does convince me to take such reports with a large grain of salt.

And, if such criminals are in fact expert in the administration of anaesthesia why are they not practising in the medical profession and earning an honest living, perhaps they are pauperised struck off individuals :-/

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #23
Another Northern Ireland couple 'gassed'!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co…21975.html

This complies more to the pattern usually reported, i.e. €1300. Five diamond rings and a watch. People are not doing us any favours carrying this sort of wealth around. £17,000 of diamond rings must equate to over one third of the value of the van, and who has €1300 in cash at the end of a holiday? I assume the watch was not a timex.

This sort of thing only makes vans a more likely target for theft.

Davy

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #24
All of us think that we would wake with an intruder in our motorhome, yet houses are burgled all the time whilst the occupants are fast asleep in their beds. When it happens it is human nature to try and explain why they didn't wake up. Hence the speculation around drugs and gas. Whatever the true nature of the robbery, it must have been traumatic and I can only hope that it never happens to us. But then again, what are the chances with a German Shepherd lying on the floor. Think he might be going to France next year!

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #25
Quote by Mark&Wendy

what are the chances with a German Shepherd lying on the floor. Think he might be going to France next year!

That's a great idea,looks like we will have to get our pet passport in order for next years trip .

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #26
We have 2 X Jack Russell s for an alarm they'd wake up the dead they even woke me up once or twice 😁😁

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #27
I can never understand why people carry such an amount of valuables when away in their motorhome. Many thefts are the result of pre observations by the thieves. They hang around booking kiosks, shop and restaurant pay-points and other places where people pay for purchases and observe where a 'mark' keeps their wallet/purse so they know exactly where to find it when the opportunity to go into action presents itself.

The wearing of expensive jewellery and watches is another no no as it also marks out a person for a mugging or stealth theft.

Why do people carry large wads of cash, with cash machines at every turn. Why do people take expensive jewellery with them.
We never have more than a couple of hundred Euro at any one time and our good watches and jewellery stay at home as we take cheapies with us, mine is a Casio and Mrs. B takes Timex, they both tell the time just as well as a Rolex Oyster.

The best defence against being robbed is to look like you're not worth the effort.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #28
There is such a thing as healthy scepticism but I don't think people should be so quick to judge others. These sound like 2 very traumatic experiences and whilst people are free to make up their own minds I don't think there is anything to be gained by some of the negative comments made here.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #29
"I kept thinking we would find the money, I still hope I come across it, because that would mean this never happened."

This suggests an element of doubt to me.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #30
Just remember if they use gas the dog wouldn't waken either

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #31
If this story turns out to be true I will be one of the first to offer my apologies but for now I do not believe a word of it.
This was some thief,he left no evidence of entry he also injected two individuals in the same place in their arms and this was in the dark.
It was some time the next day before they noticed 1000 Euro missing.
Holy smoke but this is not almost unbelievable, it is unbelievable.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #32
I'm due to go to France in a fortnights time. I'm not at all worried or bothered by these reports.

I posted some info earlier, but decided to delete it in case it resulted in me receiving unwanted legal attention.

Let's just say that someone I know and respect, knows one of these poor victims. They wouldn't need to be asking for a character reference as it wouldn't be that favourable.

As for the other people making the allegations, I have no idea nor opinion as to their integrity.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #33
Our Motorhome was broken into in France 4 years ago and it didn't bother us too much at the time but the following year we were paronoid while there though.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #34
Anyone who comes through this kind of incident must have nightmares about it but this particular case seems like the work of fiction.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #35
Should have mentioned we were not in it, it was broken into outside a Aire at 2pm on a Sunday.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Northern Ireland couple gassed in their motorhome

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #36
Darren and Charlene Clark were gassed and robbed during their French Holliday , Belfast telegraph 13/10/17.
Nobody hurt just approx 1600 Euro missing 5 diamond rings and a watch which were worth £17000.
I hope that the insurance companies keep an eye on sites like this

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Northern Ireland couple gassed in their motorhome

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #37
Admins merge thread?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Northern Ireland couple gassed in their motorhome

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #38
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #39
Quote by Eamonn

Admins merge thread?

Done,
Thanks Eamonn.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Robbery

· 
Posted: 09.12.2017  ·  #40
Ok people my tuppence worth. We normally park on Service Stations en route to the final destination as it takes up too much time to find campsites on the way and we like to get there ASAP.
My wife and I were robbed while we slept at a service station in Switzerland a few years ago. We are experienced motorhomers and have never had a problem at petrol stations as we normally take all the usual precautions. On this occasion I had driven all day and pulled in about 1am. There were about 30 lorries, motorhomes and caravans parked. I parked between 2 lorries, one with a refrigeration unit running. The normal routine is check all doors, close the curtains and switch on the alarm that covers all doors and hatches. I forgot to put on the alarm. About 3.30 something woke me and when I looked I saw that the curtains between the cab and inside were open. Knowing that I had closed them I got up and reached for my trousers but they were missing. On inspection the front passenger door had been forced to gain entry. My trousers along with my wallet and a small purse we carry foreign money in were on the ground beside the door. All the money had been removed but my credit cards were still there. I did recall at some stage hearing a noise like a drill but dismissed it. The door lock was completely destroyed. Both my wife and I do not believe we were gassed as reported in some instances. I believe that the robbers use the following method. When a large lorry passed the van would rock or vibrate and this would give the robber opportunity to crack the lock. They would then wait to see if there was any reaction and maybe then open the door again waiting for a reaction. This combined with the noise from the refrigeration unit would assist them to get right into the van where they would move, wait, move. By arriving late at the station it is probably assumed that we would be fairly tired. We called the police and reported the incident. A few months later we were contacted by the Swiss police to inform us that they had caught the robbers. It turned out to be twins from Milan who had been doing this as a career. They sent us a list of approximately 40 other vans that had been broken into, we happened to be the only ones from the UK. So, I still park on Service stations but park immediately in front of the person at the till, make sure my alarm is on, wire my doors on the inside, have smoke and gas detectors and make the wife sleep on the outside of the bed

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.