baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Health Insurance for long stay travellers

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #1
While making enquiries today about health (holiday) insurance for our upcoming trip to the sun I learned a surprising fact which I need to share with all you craicers.

VHI cover is contingent on being 'resident' in Ireland for at least six months of the year. So, if we take over six months away in any calendar year our VHI becomes void which means that if we need them while at home they will deny cover as we contravened one of the policy conditions.#
It's the other side of the multi-trip 180 day max policy.

With VHI the only way out is to change to their international policy, however when back home you can seamlessly convert back to the domestic policy and back to its international policy when going away again and so on.

Although a phone call is all that's required It's a real convoluted pain in the @ss but it seams to be the only option for anyone planning to go to the sum for the winter and clock up more than 180 days away in a calendar year.

For us the international policy is about 45% dearer on an annual basis than the normal VHI policy but if you check in and out as change from away to home you only pay the difference while you are actually away, so the actual extra would be less depending on how long the trip(s) is/are.
The policy is payable monthly without admin or interest charges but the monthly instalment will depend on whether you're at home (ordinary VHI cover) or away (international cover)

All the above is VHI related, I can't speak for other health insurance providers.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Health Insurance for long stay travellers

· 
Posted: 12.09.2019  ·  #2
Just wondering how do they know how long you are out of the country? especially if you had multiple trips during the year, not that it bothers me as I can only dream of extended vacations?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.