First motorhome vacation

Help and ideas needed

MotorhomeJ
Subject:

First motorhome vacation

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #1
Hello, Motorhome craic forum thanks for the add it's great to be here.

The Family and I have decided to rent out a motorhome for a month and go on a small road trip to see what this motorhome-ing is all about. First off please forgive me for my ignorance I have never taken a vacation in a motorhome before so this will be all new to me.

In terms of supplies, What would you guys take with you when going on a motorhome vacation? Would we be needing any bedding, cooking equipment, brushes, mops and all that business? Are there any specific licenses you need? apart from a driving license for obvious reasons. What do you guys do when you are on your motorhome vacations? is it easy to find places to park up and sleep? Just pretty much anything experiences and ideas you guys can throw my way I would be greatly appreciative.

If there is any other information that would help you guys then please comment below and I will get back to you with some details.

Thanks!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

First motorhome vacation

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #2
Welcome to a different world. First off when and where are you thinking of going?. What's your family make up. Have a look at the Motorhome parking app. This will give you an idea of what's available all around whole of Ireland. Take a look at the lexikon section on the top bar for advise on the how's and why's .

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: First motorhome vacation

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #3
Have a look at the following but don't get too absorbed, it's only a guideline.

forum/topic.php?t=10582

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #4
Welcome to the forum! Lots of reading to do for sure but you're in the right place :)

Think of your motorhome as a camping trip with far better comfort, so take whatever you would have taken if camping. The golden rule is: Do I really need it/Will I use it? Take with you things that are the most functional and not specific to one task, this will apply from anything from clothing to food.

Regarding license, if the MH is below the 3500kg weight class, you'll be OK with your normal car license. Most 4 or 5 berth MH will fit this category, 6 berths you'll probably be taking about a C class license.

For parking spots, etc... use the MH app, super handy. Then think about if you want to do "wild camping" or use campsites, depending on how old your kids are, campsites could be a great option as they could go out and play in a safe environment with no hassle. I'm sure lads with kids will also wild camp, but there's no denying that it's much more handy to be on a campsite.

Read around how to properly service a MH and the etiquette that comes with it. This will include filling up water, gas, electricity and disposal of grey water, emptying toilet cassettes (oh, joy of joys), etc...

And most important, always wave to other vans :D

Cheers,
Rami

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #5
I would definitely agree with Rami, better to learn in campsites. Stay one or two nights then move to the next one. Once you feel confident, then move on to the 'wilding camping'. Might take a bit longer than a one week holiday to get the hang of everything. Two years on and I'm still learning from this forum.

MotorhomeJ
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #6
Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to have a read through everything above and check out the links then get back to you all. Back soon

MotorhomeJ
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #7
Thanks for the great replies guys!

Going to stay in campsites first and moving one to the other seems like a great idea to make us feel more at home and comfortable, this is something I will be doing. But first, all the research into where campsites are located and making a route for us to head on. In terms of what we will take and that golden rule ''Do we need it? Will we use it'' I think I best take control of that or there won't be any room left in the motorhome haha.

Thanks again for the replies I am off to do a little research and I will be back shortly!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #8
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.