Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Leisure batteries wired wrongly/differently

· 
Posted: 06.02.2017  ·  #1
Goes against all advice but thought I would give it a go.

Our leisures are under the bonnet, very awkward to get at. We got two new Banners recently and thought I would try this. One main leisure under the bonnet, 110 ahr Platinum, with all the connections coming of it. 6 foot of heavy cable connecting to two 135ahr Banner Batteries.

No idea on the technical electrics 'know how' but the idea was, the two 135ahr will feed the 110ahr and keep it charged, sort of like a power reserve and working similar to a Solar Panel.

So all you experts, which will break first? the 110ahr? or does the idea sound good ? worth a shot? disaster waiting to happen?

Went away on Thursday off-grid, lasted until this morning (Monday) with good voltage, blow heating on nearly all the time and plenty of TV use never mind all the items charging, so far so good!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Leisure batteries wired wrongly/differently

· 
Posted: 06.02.2017  ·  #2
Effectively you now have 3 leisure batteries therefore approximately 3 times storage of electricity. A fully charged battery should have an output of nearly 14 volts ( better quality battery has a higher max volts ie 13.9 volts, poorly made ones ie 13.2 volts ) . Most MH gears stops working effectively when the volts drops to 12. Your idea is something that I am considering to do in our MH but there one issue that I need to research.
My concern is now you have 3 batteries to recharge with a system that has been designed for charging 1 battery. Will the charging demand be too much from the alternator on the engine and destroy it? Your local auto electrician who repairs starter motor and alternator should be able clarify this. Best of luck.
Ps, the same point might be an issue for the mains charger (240 volts)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #3
I know the general rule is, once a battery gets to 12volt it's flat. Well I found that not to be the case. I have used batteries right down to 10.8 and then the heating has failed with automatic cut out. There has been no ill affect on the batteries. Obviously not great for them but the stories are once you do that the battery is considered useless, I have carried on using them for a long time.

Again I have no evidence and not really sure about any of this but from observation. An Alternator when using a B2B charger is allegedly tricked into thinking the engine battery is not charged so carries on charging the leisure battery, this doesn't seem to harm the alternator, despite it being forced into more work than usual. Now on that matter I still don't believe a B2B is required, does a split charge relay not do the same thing?

The 240volt side of it, it is putting out 13.8 volts? if I am on a campsite plugged into EHU and stay for a week, the on board charger is on all the time putting out 13.8volts as I am consuming power from the leisure batteries. So really what is the difference if you have 3 batteries, the charger is still only putting out 13.8 volts and it may have to do that for a lot longer time, no difference than being on a campsite.

That's my layman thinking :D

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #4
The 240volt side of it, it is putting out 13.8 volts? if I am on a campsite plugged into EHU and stay for a week, the on board charger is on all the time putting out 13.8volts as I am consuming power from the Leisure batteries. So really what is the difference if you have 3 batteries, the charger is still only putting out 13.8 volts and it may have to do that for a lot longer time, no difference than being on a campsite.

It may be putting out the correct voltage, but how many amps is it putting out, as far as I remember the recommended thing is to not have the total amp Hr of the batteries greater than 10X the charger, so you have 1@110 and 2@135 = 380a/Hr so you need a charger putting out 38amps. This isnt taking into account the charging of the engine battery if its linked in.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #5
Don't know :-|

Reason for posting, so the electrical experts can pick holes in the theory :)

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #6
Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #7
This method of keeping the starter battery charged from the leisure batteries crops up quite often.

http://www.motts.org/BRIDGING%20FUSE.htm

I am not sure if it is what you intend as my electrical knowledge is minimal. It may be a cheap way of trying what you want to do without a batterymaster. I have read though that it only really is beneficial when the leisures have been fully charged first which in itself can be a bit problematical when you are using the van and it's batteries.

The poster Clive Mott is highly regarded in Motorhome electrics.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #8
Cheers Davy, but I am not trying to keep the starter battery charged, Motorhome is used often so no real need.

My idea is to keep one main leisure battery charged by using two higher AHR leisure batteries, so far it has worked great after one weekend.

As above, not got a clue if it will be successful long term or even whether it is doing what I think it is doing and is just basically 3 x leisure.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #9
Quote by Douzeper

I know the general rule is, once a battery gets to 12volt it's flat. Well I found that not to be the case. I have used batteries right down to 10.8 and then the heating has failed with automatic cut out. There has been no ill affect on the batteries. Obviously not great for them but the stories are once you do that the battery is considered useless, I have carried on using them for a long time.

Battery Chart.

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #10
Not great in theory, grand in practice, if all batteries are holding charge independently and using decent cables.
Did it often wit 2 different batteries. No probs!

I don't think there is a need for a North- South Electricity Inter-connector that causing all the planning shytte down here.

Just Ring Douz and he'll power up to the whole island for a week with that of power kit!

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #11
PS
Consider a fuse in the output cable from alternator with rating of under the output current capacity of the alternator to protect it if all batteries are flat when the engine is started. BIG BIG current draw.
Dunno what you alternator output is but circa 50 A fuse, perhaps to begin with, then go bigger, if necessary.
Fridge 12 V, Inverter etc off on startup, if batteries low.
Mains charger unit will probably have its own overload protection circuitry/fusing.
if you want belt and braces, perhaps consider as large isolator switch (red turn Handle) on one or even two of the batteries and introduce them to charger one at a time, if batteries are 12v or less i.e. nearly flat.
I suspect your Yankee baby has a seriously big alternator and an appropriate fuse will provide enough protection.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #12
:up: was considering an isolator switch, I'll fit one now.

Nearly sure there is a fuse from alternator, in fact there is, it was blown on a jump start before we purchased it. Which seems to be a regular occurence for Motorhomers if they need to jump start the engine battery.

P.S. The Yankee has gone, back in our Itineo now, long story ;)

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #13
There is a lot of nonsense being talked here about battery charging,first if using a split charge relay and the second les battery is low then the alt will find a voltage level between the two and put out what current the inbuilt regulater thinks the battery requires,so if the les battery is looking for 45ah & the engine batt is full then once started a halfway charge will come from the alt< about 25ah as the engine battery will make up the rest.
The same rules apply for a diode split charge sys though this may be requlated to a lower level of charge.
Now a b2b unit takes current from the full eng battery and regulates it to the service battery at a controlled charge rate of around 10/20ah which is kinder to batteys as normal rule is charge at 10%,now you can see that the older split charge sys may be hammering the batterys with to many amps,this is the same as jump starting or using a garage jump starter pack which in truth is not good to do all the time,emergencys only.
Another mith is battery of different size ,fact is it dont mater as all you will be doing is increasing the ampage.
Lead acid batterys can take a bigger hammering on fast charging than agm /gel which should be slow charged as not to burn the gel of the plates,hence the b2b chargers we use today which may i add must be used on modern engines with smart chargers,hope this clears up a few things,regards trev.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #14
Quote by roadrunner

The same rules apply for a diode split charge sys though this may be requlated to a lower level of charge.
Now a b2b unit takes current from the full eng battery and regulates it to the service battery at a controlled charge rate of around 10/20ah which is kinder to batteys as normal rule is charge at 10%,now you can see that the older split charge sys may be hammering the batterys with to many amps,this is the same as jump starting or using a garage jump starter pack which in truth is not good to do all the time,emergencys only.

You just answered a question I have been asking for a few years, what is the benefit of a B2B when it seems a split charge relay is doing the same thing.

An answer at last :up:

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #15
Quote by Douzeper

My idea is to keep one main leisure battery charged by using two higher AHR leisure batteries, so far it has worked great after one weekend.

Doesn't work like this

The three batteries are connected in parallel and in essence become a single source. There is single take off to the load and likewise there is a single means of charging. The three batteries will discharge and charge together so when one is discharged they will all be discharged. The output voltage will be the same at each battery terminal (maybe 0.1 volt difference due to volt drop in the cables from the battery terminal to the common connection to the load take off)

Within reason they will share the load based on the ratio of their AH rating; this however will be determined by a variety of factors such as battery AH rating, ambient temperature, battery age/condition, battery design/manufacture, voltage drop in cabling between batteries etc.

While the official advice is only to connect identical batteries in parallel provided the three batteries are similar in rating and are same type (lead acid) then it should be OK.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #16
Is there a way too lets say........ use the first leisure and only have it topped up by two or more leisures when needed? by fitting a relay or some sort of switch or would that not work? or absolutely no point?

Sort of like how a solar panel works only having the obvious differences.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #17
Quote by JoeO'S

if you want belt and braces, perhaps consider as large isolator switch (red turn Handle) on one or even two of the batteries and introduce them to charger one at a time, if batteries are 12v or less i.e. nearly flat.

Don't fit an isolator between the batteries.

If you were to do so then when the isolator is closed you will get massive circulating currents between the charged battery and the flat battery. This current could damage either or both batteries, cause a battery explosion or fire. It is akin to placing a dead short across the battery positive and negative terminals.

The only time where it may be considered to fit an isolator is where you have a B2B system that limits the circulating current. But in this case what would be the point.

Anyone considering adding a battery in parallel at any time for any reason needs to ensure that the two batteries are fully charged is with the same terminal voltage.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #18
Quote by Douzeper

Is there a way too lets say........ use the first leisure and only have it topped up by two or more leisures when needed? by fitting a relay or some sort of switch or would that not work? or absolutely no point?

Sort of like how a solar panel works only having the obvious differences.

Not really practical, see my later post.

Don't see the point.

The three batteries connected together gives you way over 300AH, the system works automatically by charging and discharging through your existing wiring, you do not need to measure anything, or switch anything

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #19
:up:

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #20
OK lost me somewhere
If you are looking at a 12v mains charger when it is charging it shows anywhere between 20 to 30v output which are needed to put the amps into the lesser 12v battery. The alternator also operates above at somewhere 14 to 15 but with bigger amp output
If you connect batteries they will discharge at the same rate i.e. 3 120amp batteries will last roughly 3 times longer than 1 120amp battery. Batteries of different amp rating discharge at different rate hence the reason they always say when you connect batteries together that should be the same amp or
as near as possible, also a similar age as a older battery will drain a newer battery without taking a charge itself and in time will reduce the capacity of the more powerful battery to the lesser one even in good ordeer
So if you have three batteries wired with suitable cable why not just use them as i cannot see any advantage in not.

Dont know if any of this makes sense as i said i am confused with many of the points I jiust dont see how a 12v leisure battery can be used to charge another

Will some please explain in simple words
David

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #21
Quote by Douzeper

Our leisures are under the bonnet, very awkward to get at. We got two new Banners recently and thought I would try this. One main leisure under the bonnet, 110 ahr Platinum, with all the connections coming of it. 6 foot of heavy cable connecting to two 135ahr Banner Batteries.

Hope you used something like 50mm2 cable for the connection

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #22
Quote by kabundi

Not sure, but it's jump start leads so thought it should be heavy enough.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #23
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2017  ·  #24
Very well explained.

Must add........ when I put the volt meter on my three, they all read the same.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #25
All above posts are correct,connect all together as you will only be discharging each a little rather than one a lot which would hammer the flat one once connected to the full ones,good luck.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #26
Quote by Douzeper

Quote by kabundi

Not sure, but it's jump start leads so thought it should be heavy enough.

If they are the diameter of your small finger they'll be OK

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #27
Quote by Douzeper

Must add........ when I put the volt meter on my three, they all read the same.

As expected. The three voltages will go up and down together as you charge and discharge.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Leisure batteries wired wrongly/differently

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #28
" No idea on the technical electrics 'know how' but the idea was, the two 135ahr will feed the 110ahr and keep it charged, sort of like a power reserve and working similar to a Solar Panel. "

You should not mix up mix old and new or different amp /hr battery s ,because the will work at the lower rate ( which is rather like what you said above ), in stead of having a total of 380ahr you will be closer to 310ahr .
Two things to consider.
1st--This only a problem if you were aiming for the larger capacity, you still have a sizeable chunk of power
2nd-- Logic would be the 110 will die first hopefully after a long time, leaving you with two battery's that will now only work at the lower level because that's all they ever did ,then your back to square one.
Helpful or not ?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #29
What about a set up like this.

Your 2 135ah batteries in every day use charged by solar panel

Your 1 110 battery held in reserve and charged by the alternator when you move.

A 3 way switch allowing you to select the 2 leisures, the single 110ah or off altogether.

Davy

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #30
Quote by heanorboy

OK lost me somewhere
If you are looking at a 12v mains charger when it is charging it shows anywhere between 20 to 30v output which are needed to put the amps into the lesser 12v battery. The alternator also operates above at somewhere 14 to 15 but with bigger amp output
If you connect batteries they will discharge at the same rate i.e. 3 120amp batteries will last roughly 3 times longer than 1 120amp battery. Batteries of different amp rating discharge at different rate hence the reason they always say when you connect batteries together that should be the same amp or
as near as possible, also a similar age as a older battery will drain a newer battery without taking a charge itself and in time will reduce the capacity of the more powerful battery to the lesser one even in good ordeer
So if you have three batteries wired with suitable cable why not just use them as i cannot see any advantage in not.

Dont know if any of this makes sense as i said i am confused with many of the points I jiust dont see how a 12v leisure battery can be used to charge another

Will some please explain in simple words
David

If your charger is showing those volts its a old timer ,modern smart 5 stage & float chargers show nowt until connected to a load and will step volts/current up or down depending on whats required.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #31
Ok agree with you re the "new" chargers and I do have one however glad that I kept the "old" one as the new does not work if the battery has fallen below 11v and needed the old type to bring back to life so maybe "new" is not always best

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #32
Most of the new ones will as they pulse charge batterys that have been deep discharged,all depends on make and model.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2017  ·  #33
Look lads we have being talking about this all week. In advance elactricial engineering the orginal post setup will probably not work due to what could go wrong , I would like to find what can work with the least amount of risk. I am in a similar position with a leisure battery unable to do 3 nights at winter. I think the key to all the talk is the output of the alternator to replenish our leisure batteries without overloading it or cooking our batteries in the process. I'am going to research thiis more. I work with 24 volts all day each day at trucks, so it can't be too hard to ask a guy to half his voltage and give us a reasonable solution. I am running a 2010 Chasson motorhome based on Ford Transit so what I figure out revalant to me might not suit everyone. I will post my results or improvements.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2017  ·  #34
Heavier output alternators are available as some vans come with them fitted as standard.

raglanroad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Campeo 600 pop top
Base Vehicle: 2020 ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2017  ·  #35
Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2017  ·  #36
I am just back from my local auto electrician and got a good education. Our base vechicle is a 2010 ford transit and over the last 6 months I have felt it was a bit lazy starting and the leisure battery was not lasting for two nights. Both batteries were reading approximately the right voltage with a meter.
This morning the alternator was tested first and paased with an output of 14.5 volts and a maximum power of 150 amps per hour, ( typical model found on most vans).
The engine battery was tested using a duty cycle load tester and found that it is only storing 60% of its capacity. The leisure was marginal better at 75%.
When we purchased the MH 18 months ago two new batteries had been fitted and we have only done about 6000 miles since.
Here is the explanation as how this has happened.
Modern diesel engines as designed to run every day and there is various things that drawing power 24/7, such as imobilisers, radio, etc. I our case the engine battery is becoming partly discharged after a couple weeks idle , so when the engine is started the alternator is sending most of it output to the engine battery to recharge it and this cycle of surging power has killed the battery.
The solution is now fit an insolation switch on the engine battery whenever parked up for a couple of weeks.
My leisure battery is located under the floor in the garage and it been exposed to outside temperatures, we are going to warp its box with some foil insulation to protect it from the cold.
We have space under the drivers seat to fit a second leisure battery which about 6 meters from the existing leisure battery which can be done.
Link both batteries with some heavy cables, say 50mm square, size of baby finger, change the existing earth cable on main leisure battery to similar size as above but route it to the main earth point on the engine instead. This allows a better flow of electricity with less risk of power surges.
The mains charger has an output of 16 amps per hour and will not be affected by two batteries to charge except it will take twice as long.
It will be a month or so before I will any of this work but I will post the results. Cheers

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2017  ·  #37
Second weekend done and still loads of power, strapping another 100watt Solar Panel on today making it 200watt. Still room for one more 100watt which will bring it to 300 watt.

Was going to go for a 150watt panel which would make sense in most occasions, due to room. But a 150watt was the same price as 2 x 100 watt panels, so thought I would try 200watt in total first, then another 100watt further along if needed. Loads of room on the roof.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2017  ·  #38
you'll be able to sell it on as a contribution to the grid soon :D

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2017  ·  #39
Quote by Douzeper

Second weekend done and still loads of power, strapping another 100watt Solar Panel on today making it 200watt. Still room for one more 100watt which will bring it to 300 watt.

Was going to go for a 150watt panel which would make sense in most occasions, due to room. But a 150watt was the same price as 2 x 100 watt panels, so thought I would try 200watt in total first, then another 100watt further along if needed. Loads of room on the roof.

Ally

Think about putting the two solar panels in series rather than parallel. This means that you will get a much higher voltage (double) from the solars. In the winter you will get sufficient voltage to charge your batteries even in poorish weather. As an example I have today an input voltage to the solar controller of 35Volts.

The downside is you need a high input voltage controller to accept the nominal 24volt (2x12 in series) from the solars. The input voltage from the 2 solars in mid summer could well be around 60volts.

I have a Tracer 2210RN MPPT controller with a maximum input voltage of 100 volts.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2017  ·  #40
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.