Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

An open letter for Campsite owners

· 
Posted: 18.10.2016  ·  #1
Campsite owners who oppose Motorhome Parking:

An open letter to those Campsite Owners who oppose European style overnight Motorhome parking places, some information for you to digest, take on board, in an attempt to open dialogue in how we can support each other (Motorhomers and campsite owners) instead of Campsite owners alienating Motorhomers.

Some Facts:

* In this article the word 'Motorhomes' covers, Motorhomes, Campervans & RV's

• Motorhomes, being in the same vehicle category as cars under EU law can legally park anywhere a car can.
  • Motorhome owners can go for days without the use of a Campsite as they are self contained.
  • We carry fresh water, waste water tanks and most have facilities on board to cook, wash, shower and go to the toilet.
  • Most Motorhomes are self sufficient in food preparation.
  • We do require the use of facilities every few days, to service a Motorhome, refill of fresh water, charge batteries and empty toilets. Motorhomers will pay for this service.
  • We are not anti campsite.

Some Councils in Ireland have started adding service points for Motorhomes, they realise the benefit for tourism that this creates, providing such facilities also serves to counter the undesirable situation where some people find themselves forced to dispose of their grey and black water in an inappropriate manner.. Motorhomes are not Caravans and do not have caravan owners needs. But we do have needs which campsite owners can provide. They are two completely different types of market & clientelle.

Instead of some campsites opposing LEGAL Motorhome Parking here is a suggestion: allow Motorhomers to avail of your services by charging a reduced fee to service a Motorhome. Most of us do not require a pitch, electric hook up, play parks, swimming pools or any other of the things that a campsite may provide. But we will pay to service a Motorhome. Why not charge a fee for this and instead of turning away Motorhomers, make some money from them by opening your business to a different clientelle, one that would normally not visit your site. Perfect business sense?

Create an area for a Motorhome to visit for a short stay, or let them call in and use your services if they need too.

Basic servicing of a Motorhome:

• Fill up on board fresh water tanks, usually around 100 litres
  • Empty Grey waste tanks over a drive over drain
  • Empty toilet cassette

Those three simple things are already on most campsites and therefore those campsites can charge a fee for someone wishing to service their Motorhome.

If campsite owners all over Ireland provided this service, then it would be diversifying their business to keep up with the ever growing Motorhome popularity and provide a network for tourism which benefits us all.

By trying to oppose something that is legal some campsite owners are alienating the Motorhome community in Ireland. Campsite owners do not have a monopoly on holidays. The same as a restaurant cannot stop the opening of a Coffee Shop.

We can work together to benefit both parties or we can bury our heads in the sand which will not really affect Motorhome owners but will prove that Campsite onwers are not eager to change their business model and move with the times ahead.

We are open to dialogue between all parties and if any campsite owners would like to comment, then please feel free to do so.

Please remember, Motorhomes can park legally anywhere a car can so help us to help you.

Motorhomecraic.com

Liked by: joeflo

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: An open letter for Campsite owners

· 
Posted: 18.10.2016  ·  #2
Just a thought there are probably quite a few campsites that are full during their busiest periods. Some campsites will then squeeze in more campers and potentially increase the likelihood of harm with an increased fire risk due to lack of separation between units, place an increased stress on the facities on the campsites, showers, toilets, laundry, washing up points etc. Reduce the amenity space on the campsite for people to play walk or sit out. Customers who are squeezed maybe grateful for being allowed to pitch up but often they are not happy about being squeezed in and the original campsites users will not appreciate the lack of space.
Other campsites will turn away custom and the person may feel aggrieved they have no where else to stay and no easy alternative.
A really sensible solution would be to provide a service for MHs that are happy to legally park elsewhere subject to being label to fill up with water and to empty waste water. The campsite owner makes some money for very little effort the MH user has the ability to enjoy a break in the nearby are, local businesses to the campsite will appreciate the extra custom they are getting not just directly from the campsite but also indirectly.
There really is not a downside to providing service facilities if campsite owners have them available. There will in the main increase their business and extend their customer base.

Once I have some figures for next season I would be able to share, to demonstrate providing a service point can only increase profit margins if it helps.
Regards Jamie.

Liked by: Ally

Droffats
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Benimar Mileo
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150hp Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2016  ·  #3
Congratulations! A well composed and accurate description of the situation.

I note that quite a few French campsites have a separate area outside the regular campsite specifically provided for motorhomes. These areas contain facilities for water and waste disposal etc. but one is not allowed into the regular campsite to use showers toilets, swimming pools etc. The charges are much less per night than the regular campsite. This, to me at least, sounds like a good idea for the Irish campsites.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2016  ·  #4
The way that commercial campsites has changed over the last 10 years. As a kid I would have camped in a tent and about 7 year we graduated to a caravan because of having young kids. Last year we upgraded to a motorhome. The biggest change I see is the offering of long and medium term of pitches by commercial campsites at discounted rates of between 30 to 50%. The benefit to the operator is that three quarters of their annaul income is paid before school hols. The popular sites in this country are not interested unless you are willing to stay for a week so effectively they have killed the touring industry wether you have a tent, caravan or camper. They have got use to people moving in and out on a Friday or Saturday. The previous post mentioned something which is very close to the truth. It is a known fact that since the resession hit us most businesses are under insured in the event of fire etc. Let me ask which is more expensive 40 campers or 40 tents caravan and cars. The last reason a commercial site gave me for non admittance was the pitches were too small for campers.
I think your invitation for a campsite operator to comment here may go unheard.

Malcolm

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Height barriers (Or Feck Off Barriers).

· 
Posted: 19.10.2016  ·  #5
If as stated I can legally park my MH anywhere that a motor car can then is the erection of height barriers at certain locations infringing on my human rights. Does anyone know if they have ever been legally challenged.
Read this on another board "Height barriers are actually illegal in France. The only time they are permitted to be used is as advanced warning of restricted headroom (bridge etc.)

The ACCL (Association Camping-Car Liberté in France have won court cases against several municipalities who installed hight barriers to 'restrict free movement', and have been awarded damages in some cases".

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2016  ·  #6
Under certain subsections of the Human Rights act in the UK it is illegal for councils to discriminate against anyone by restricting their use of personal property (too much detail to type out) but this is in the UK only, it may not be the same in the south. As individuals we could try to challenge them on it we would need the backing in both logistics and money from the like of the Equality Commission to push it forward.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2016  ·  #7
I agree with the last two posts height barriers are infringing on our human rights I pay my road tax I pay my rates I pay my insurance,last year we where coming out of Newcastle and our granddaughter wanted to stop and play in the park just defore dundrum I was unable to take the camper in because of height barriers I parked on the hard shoulder lucky our Door was not on the road side, what if the door was on the other side (road side) the speed that some of the cars traveling along that road was scary god for bid if there had been a accident who would be to blame

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2016  ·  #8
Agreed, height barriers are an infringment of our human rights.

But this topic is aimed at Campsite owners and how we can work together, the height barrier debate is another issue. There are debates going on about height barriers and I'll start another topic.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2016  ·  #9
yes and they are becoming more plentiful in the south we should try to get more legal advice on both sides but as ally says thats a whole nother story

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2017  ·  #10
Well this got the response from MOST Campsite owners I was expecting.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2017  ·  #11
Ally, many campsite owners (not all)are so greedy that they cannot see the income that is passing them by. Motorhomers are also their own worst enemy because every time that they see a sign saying (no camping,no overnight stop over) they just drive on.(NOT ME)
Why not start a campaign and target the areas that are most prominent and get Motorhomers to come and park in a carpark for the night,then see what the outcome is.
My Motorhome is road legal and i am up for it.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2017  ·  #12
Quote by ntg

Why not start a campaign and target the areas that are most prominent and get Motorhomers to come and park in a carpark for the night,then see what the outcome is.

As you know, I'm up for that :D

I suggest to begin with, we get as many motorhomers as we can to visit ....................... Subscribed members section? - This is public, to make an impact we need the element of surprise.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2017  ·  #13
Quote by Douzeper

Quote by ntg

As you know, I'm up for that :D

I suggest to begin with, we get as many motorhomers as we can to visit ....................... Subscribed members section? - This is public, to make an impact we need the element of surprise.

Yes Ally and when the time is right then invitation is sent by PM

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2017  ·  #14
Hi all,
Another thought that comes to mind is to remind campsite owners that a service point is also an opportunity to "sell" their site and it's facilities to a group who use such places regularly. I certainly use campsites when away to top up leisure batteries, empty wc etc and always take note of attractive sites to aim for when travelling around. As a grandparent I am always on the lookout for sites to return to that can occupy the junior members :bash:

Jim

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #15
A wee bump just to see if a certain campsite owner will respond.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #16
Was I meant to have done something?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #17
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Was I meant to have done something?

No :)

You're one of the sensible campsites that doesn't try and stop Motorhome owners from parking elsewhere.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2019  ·  #18
Quote by ntg

Ally, many campsite owners (not all)are so greedy that they cannot see the income that is passing them by. Motorhomers are also their own worst enemy because every time that they see a sign saying (no camping,no overnight stop over) they just drive on.(NOT ME)

If carparks are taken over by motorhomes, the result will be the villification of motorhomes, what's needed is many places with room for small numbers of vans. I think it was the Dungarvan thread where I made the point that on street parking in residential areas can be contentious at the best of times and that's just with neighbours cars, the same can go for local carparks. Any solution needs to be respectful of local residents and targeting an area is unlikely to be respectful.

If there is to be targeting, I would suggest targeting the specific campsite owners who agitate against municipal motorhome facilities. If they were to be overwhelmed by touring motorhomes driving up without a booking, looking for a pitch for just one night. Demonstrate for once an for all that they simply don't cater for the touring motorhome market. As soon as one motorhome has finished it's cumbersome turnabout at their reception and exited the property, another arrives without a booking looking for a pitch for just one night. They're simply not interested in providing the type of service we're looking for, but they'll be damned if we're going to get that service anywhere else.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.