danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Roller Team
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Vineyards around Royan to Bordeaux

· 
Posted: 01.07.2016  ·  #1
We are doing a family holiday soon and will be in La Palmyre kind of between Royan and Bordeaux. One of the things we would love to do would be take a time-out from the kiddie stuff and drag them to a vineyard for a half day somewhere. It would have to be reasonably kid-friendly, reasonably priced and accessible by camper van. Is there such a mythical place?
Looked at packages for Bordeaux vineyards and they all seem to be organized visits at 80 or 90 Euros each. I was more kind of hoping we could turn up at one of these places, eventually get brought around the winery, and then be shunted off to buy their stuff?

trev
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Re: Vineyards around Royan to Bordeaux

· 
Posted: 02.07.2016  ·  #2
GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2016  ·  #3
We were in two vineyards this year in that region. One was Château Gerbaud in St. Pey D'Armens near St Emillion which is well worth a visit. It only cost 5€ per night which was only payable if you didn't buy any wine. The other was Domaine de la Lande in a place called Monbazillac. This one was free for the night. There is also a nearby Château which is worth a visit. Hope this is of use to you. Enjoy your trip.

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2016  ·  #4
Hi Gerard, the two vineyards, Château Gerbaud and Domaine de la Lande - are they accessible in a 6 berth motorhome, are they reasonably kid friendly (will they tolerate kids!). How does it work, do you just turn up at the door and wait for the next tour, or do you just walk in and walk around?

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2016  ·  #5
Dan they both can take large vans but Château Gerbaud has more space and parking on both is on grass. They both have fresh water, waste water and toilet emptying facilities. No booking is needed to stay at either. What we did on both was arrive about 4ish in the afternoon as they seem to do the tasting around 6. Its really a relaxing evening while enjoying the produce. I don't know that it will be that interesting to children but there are places worth visiting close by which they might enjoy. Hope this helps.

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2016  ·  #6
Hi Gerard, helps hugely, thanks a lot. We want a visit a winery but without the hassle or too much expense. Will of course by buying wine there, but looking on t'internet it only all seemed to be organized trips for half days from 50E each. I have been to vineyards before and just want to turn up, have a look around, learn something, buy wine and leave. Think I am going to target Château Gerbaud - hoping it isnt hugely too far away from where we are in La Palmyre.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2016  ·  #7
Dan I would think you're looking at around 100 to 150 mile journey from where you will be in La Palmyre to St. Pey de Armens. Its east of Bordeaux between there and Bergerac.

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2016  ·  #8
ok thanks for that

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2016  ·  #9
If you are French Passion member you can stay free at the Chateau du Payre in Cadillac , about 30 miles from Bordeaux. Small award winning vineyard ran by Valerie who is the 7th generation daughter to inherit the place.She will happily show all around the place explaining the processes- and of course at the end the wine tasting and hopefully selling you a box or two. Only a small place and you will be parked in their yard ( pretty privately) and the village down the road is nice to visit also.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2016  ·  #10
hi danduffy, from la palmyre you can get the ferry from royan to la pointe du medoc (about 50euro), then within 20 miles you are in the middle of the medoc vineyards and chateau from pauillac down. We have been around there a few times and even came across free tastings and wine festivals which were great craic and free to get in. The only extra expense is the ferry across the Gironde, which in itself is enjoyable. You can come back via the ferry to Blaye which has a great bastion fort and nice wee town to walk around. The drive back upi along the Gironde to royan is lovely. The Medoc peninsula has a very different feel to the LA PAlmyre region and it is so much more laid back also with amazing beaches near soulac (which has a nice aire near the beach).

danduffymallow
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2016  ·  #11
thats great information and exactly what I am looking for thanks a lot

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.