Hady
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B588 DL
Base Vehicle: 2.3l Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Parking in Enniskillen

· 
Posted: 16.06.2016  ·  #1
I have just read in our local paper that Fermanagh & Omagh District Council have given the go ahead to employ traffic attendants to enforce the off street Car Parking Order within the Council's free car parks in Enniskillen. Apparently the Council have received a number of complaints from caravan site owners. It's ok to park and shop but not to stay overnight, surprise surprise. I know a lot of businesses do not agree with this policy, but the greedy costly campsites have won again!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Parking in Enniskillen

· 
Posted: 16.06.2016  ·  #2
Typical ireland.
Good job the ferry still runs to France !

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2016  ·  #3
Let's challenge it!

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2016  ·  #4
The bylaws will probably need changed as often they have a clause that councils are unable to compete with rate payers in their area. In this case campsites and also the Aires off the Sligo road.
It can be done though if there is a will as the bylaws were changed to allow the Donaghadee Aires.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2016  ·  #5
Everybody will deal with these situations differently but this is how I would intend to deal with this one. I will still use the free carpark beside the castle for a one night stop as I have done in the past, i have never seen any signs saying that you cannot park a motor vehicle there overnight.
Why can I not park my motorhome there also? it is a registered road legal vehicle, who can prove that I stayed in it? the blinds may have been closed but that may have been for security reasons.
Let us take these people to task and then we will see if the law allows discrimination.
After all if someone slept in their car overnight would that be different?

Hymer Cork
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B514SL
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducati 2.3 130 ps
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2016  ·  #6
Again the same problem..Caravan Park Owners and the Council under pressure from them as the pay rates..we pay very high vrt and tax to the government when we buy our motorhomes and pay our annual road tax and crvt. where are our rights for paying all these taxes and charges.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2016  ·  #7
Just wondering, do the Councils come under the same pressure from restaurants wanting to ban people having picnics. Restaurants have invested a lot of money in their premises and cooking equipment and if people are allowed to sit down anywhere they like and consume their own food it's going to lead to restaurant closures and job losses. Anyone found in possession of a flask and sandwiches should face automatic prosecution and a heavy fine. :-) :up:

Hady
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2016  ·  #8
Hi ntg I couldn't agree with you more, as yet there are no signs up, but this the quote from the local paper "Costs will be incurred because FODC will have to erect signs in all the non-charged car parks stating No Overnight Parking. In addition extra traffic attendant hours will have to be paid".
Maybe it will never happen, may turn out to be too costly, or else our rates will be put up and we will pay for it in the end. We'll soon not be allowed on the road!!!!

Sicknote
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2016  ·  #9
Dear Sir, - I am writing in regard to the letter of complaint sent to your paper by Henry and Thomas Cunningham in relation to the illegal parking of their motorhome at the Lakeland Forum car park. As a business person and tax payer I do not pay taxes and rates to provide free accommodation for caravan and motorhome dwellers. As a trading business I welcome all visitors and tourists to Fermanagh, but I can assure you that persons who intend on parking their motor homes for free anywhere they please are no benefit to the businesses of the county.

Firstly there is no shortage of caravan parks in Fermanagh to provide fully licensed and excellent facilities from as little as £16 per night for these people. With an average of at least two people in each of these motor homes that is only £8 per night per person. Your average person who saves hard to pay for their holiday anywhere else will pay a minimum of £40 per night per person for a hotel room. Why should others pay for accommodation only for these people to be given it for free?

Secondly many of these illegal overnight parkers like to argue that they bring so much money to the county. Many business owners invest large sums of money each year into the organisation and sponsorship of festivals and events to attract tourists to the county. A large majority of these businesses are accommodation providers who invest this money to attract visitors to their business. It hardly makes financial sense for a business to invest in these festivals and events only for these people to park for free and not spend any money with these businesses. This was the case recently at the Irvinestown Lady of the Lake Festival where there were more than five motor homes parked for over a week in the town car park so that they could enjoy the festival. Do any of these campers realise that a large portion of sponsorship for this festival comes from local accommodation providers such as hotels, B&Bs and caravan parks? I think that if I was counting on the money brought to the county by these illegal parkers I would have been closed many years ago.

The issue of illegal overnight stays is one that is ongoing and one which is long overdue being addressed. Every other person is fined £30 for parking somewhere 15 minutes longer than they were supposed to yet it appears to be acceptable that a motorhome pulls up, parks across two spaces and stays all night and pays for nothing. I think the time has come for a strict clampdown on this illegal activity.

Instead of clamping down on illegal overnight parking it now appears that Fermanagh District Council want to offer a compromise to accommodate the needs of everyone and provide electric meters in car parks for caravans and motor homes. It seems that addressing the issue of illegal overnight stays interprets to rewarding these people who want cheap accommodation at taxpayers’ expense. I feel it unfair that the average motorist in Fermanagh be fined for parking inappropriately and your average motorhome user be rewarded with new facilities for parking illegally.

More worrying is the fact that there are already over 400 touring caravan/motor home pitches in Fermanagh offering these caravans and motor homes excellent facilities from just £16 per night at no expense to the tax payer. The illegal overnight parkers say they have nowhere to go, but really they have plenty of places to go but they just don’t want to pay for them like your average person would. I think the message is clear to all illegal overnight parkers, pay for the services you want like everyone else. Don’t expect the council to provide competition to the caravan parks in the county who pay their rates and taxes.

Yours faithfully, DISGRUNTLED BUSINESS PERSON AND TAX PAYER

Copied from the impartial reporter from 2010.

bigfoot bair
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 680 starline
Base Vehicle: 2.7 Mercedes 150 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2016  ·  #10
Sound's like a campsite owner who charging more than £16

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2016  ·  #11
Article 14 protection from discrimination along with article 1 first protocol protection property, of the Human rights act

alibob
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2016  ·  #12
A certain camp site owner was down taking pictures of Motorhomes parked up this weekend. Is that allowed, this owner has been doing this for quite a while to help his cause.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2016  ·  #13
Anything in public can be photographed, not a thing you can do about it. Which campsite owner?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2016  ·  #14

Dear Sir, - I am writing in regard to the letter of complaint sent to your paper by Henry and Thomas Cunningham in relation to the illegal parking of their motorhome at the Lakeland Forum car park. As a business person and tax payer I do not pay taxes and rates to provide free accommodation for caravan and motorhome dwellers. As a trading business I welcome all visitors and tourists to Fermanagh, but I can assure you that persons who intend on parking their motor homes for free anywhere they please are no benefit to the businesses of the county.

Firstly there is no sh <snip>

Yours faithfully, DISGRUNTLED BUSINESS PERSON AND TAX PAYER

Copied from the impartial reporter from 2010.

I was going to write a long reply to this but you know what, there is little point, we can all pick massive holes in his argument, his letter is full of untruths, misconceptions and narrow mindedness.

Obviously a campsite owner or hotelier, if we can find out which campsite owner we can boycott the campsite, perhaps Alibob can tell us whichg one was taking the photographs.

If he/she can blatantly take photographs of vans LEGALLY parked then he is obviously not hiding his identity and his objections to Motorhomers, so we will not hide our intentions to fight this.

Sicknote
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2016  ·  #15
Maybe a wee letter to the paper involved stating our intention (MHC members) to boycott Enniskillen and the numbers involved because of this man's actions might shake things up a bit.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2016  ·  #16
I think we should try and negotiate with the campsite owner who is taking the photographs, let him put his case across to us and we can put ours across to him.

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Negotiate with campsite owner

· 
Posted: 21.06.2016  ·  #17
That seems like a sensible way to go.It would be interesting to know what has "provoked" such an
Antagonistic attitude from the site owner?
We have parked in Enniskillen for many years with no problem,but have always tried to park away from the warning signs.
That has become more difficult and maybe an approach to the council from as many motorhome bodies as possible would be useful?
I seem to remember that newspaper article and another letter reporting thst the site owner had a direct
Contact with the council.( As a councillor maybe?)
When the sign was put up at the parking beside the bus station ,the absurb thing is that I am now welcomed
To "park" my boat for a Few nights on the river side of the pontoon (the broad meadow", __but banned
From overnighting in my motorhome on the carpark side!!! _hard to see the logic.
The boycott approach is probably non productive.
There is of course the wee problem that was created by motorhomers, who have on occasion parked
Sideways across a few parking bays (also happened at Bellanaleck ).this is probably a thing of the past,but may need to be acknowledged as having happened.(if there are negotiations).
that the council have helped to fund excellent pontoons in the town with FREE boat parking only adds to the absurd situation.

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Bylaws

· 
Posted: 21.06.2016  ·  #18
Quote by willie

The bylaws will probably need changed as often they have a clause that councils are unable to compete with rate payers in their area. In this case campsites and also the Aires off the Sligo road.
It can be done though if there is a will as the bylaws were changed to allow the Donaghadee Aires.

I wonder did the bylaws need to be changed to allow the provision of Free pontoons for the boats to park at?
There again,i have listened to many of the private marina owners and I can not recall the they ever
Cared how many pontoons the council provided,they are basically only overnight stops,not
Permanent parking!
Maybe if this sort of anomaly could be highlighted to the council,if might help in getting them to
Review the situation?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2016  ·  #19
Does a boat have tax and insurance?.....a serious question because I don't actually know,

What would a boat be charged to berth for the night ?

Sicknote
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2016  ·  #20
Quote by mad max

Does a boat have tax and insurance?.....a serious question because I don't actually know,

What would a boat be charged to berth for the night ?

In the sense of road vehicles tax and insurance the answer is no mad max. It is advisable for boat owners to have insurance for breakdowns and accidental damage etc. I only know because a friend of mine has a boat in Enniskillen. He pays £800 per annum for a berth at ballinaleck but free to berth overnight everywhere else

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2016  ·  #21
Thanks for that Jim,
I hadn't a clue how it worked,

winkie
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2016  ·  #22
Lets all just bypass Enniskillen and spend our money elsewhere

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2016  ·  #23
Quote by winkie

Lets all just bypass Enniskillen and spend our money elsewhere

Winkie is alive and can post after all this time!

Good to hear from you Phillip. Hope you and Liz are doing well.
Long time no see.

Hady
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2016  ·  #24
I saw a Motorhome parked at the Castle this weekend, I think there is a bit of scaremongering going on. The country cousins have been parked around the town this last few days in places that are not even car parks. It's a pity to give in to the Council scaremongering, it will probably blow over, and I know for a fact that the shops are not pleased at the action of the Councillors

winkie
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2016  ·  #25
Actually....it was Liz who posted

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2016  ·  #26
Quote by winkie

Actually....it was Liz who posted

Hi Liz !!

Bexley two
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido 990M
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2016  ·  #27
We stayed in the Forum car park on Sat, there were four motorhomes parked overnight with no issues. We had a lovely meal in Cafe Merlot, well worth a visit. Brunch on Sunday and a bit of shopping before we moved on.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2016  ·  #28
Glad to hear that, we were passing through Enniskillen recently and would have loved to stop and have dinner a bottle of wine with our meal stay on overnight a bit of shopping in the morning before moving on but with all the parking issues we thought we had better not and drove on to Carrick on Shannon where we stopped had our meal etc. The "free parking " wasn't what we were after we simply wanted to stop for a meal and do a bit of shopping near the town. Many towns are missing out on tourism. I understand that some campsite owners would like everyone to stay there, and there will be occasions when we will want a campsite. However towns need to realise if you make it difficult to stop in a town you loose trade. Do they think if forced to we will go to a campsite then get a taxi into town shop or dine and get a taxi back to the site? Or just go somewhere else where we can stop. The problem will continue until proper stopover parking and regulation is introduced. Something like the Little Roddee car park system in Chester would work well.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.