cloughy
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

C1 licence

· 
Posted: 23.09.2016  ·  #1
all,

as you probably have seen from my previous post we are looking at joining the motor home gang, and initially were looking at vans under 3500, but just wondering how difficult/whats involved in terms of cost/lessons to get a C/C1 licence in Ireland, and should we look at this to give a wider choice of Vans and what can be carried rather than just limited to those under 3500 when fully loaded.

Thanks in advance,

jamushur
Craic'er
Homepage: smilingbody.com
My Motorhome: Burstner Travel Van
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: C1 licence

· 
Posted: 23.09.2016  ·  #2
I was told recently about €600 to cover everything, lessons, use of van and tests. I was advised to bargain with the schools!!!
I had a C1, lost it 16 years ago because I didn't bother to bring in my medical cert and didn't think about 4500kg vans back then.
There does seem to be a better selection of "over" 3500kg vans available around
Wish you well

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2016  ·  #3
If you don't need a C licence for professional use a C1 will cover all motorhomes up to 7.5t GVW.

The C1 is an easier test to pass as the minimum vehicle requirements are only at least 4.0t GVW and 5 meters long.
An important consideration is that C1 category vehicles generally have car type 5 or 6 speed gearboxes whereas category C vehicles used for the test must have at least 10t have 4 over 4 (eight gears) via a split gearbox which can be difficult enough to master if your not at ease with the system.

C1 category vehicles can be pretty much the same as a motorhome to drive for example the Merc Sprinter 4.6t and 6.0t range have 2.0m wide cabs and the Daf LF 7.5t model has a 2.13m cab whereas with a category C vehicle your talking about a full size 2.55m wide HGV.

One of the difficulties in doing a C1 test is that there are less than a handful of driving schools with a suitable vehicle.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2016  ·  #4
The rules changed for Cat C gearboxes in 2014 - "The vehicle must be fitted with anti-lock brakes, be equipped with a gearbox having at least 8 forward ratios and providing for a manual selection of gears by the driver, and with recording equipment (tachograph)."
From here - http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Le…g-test.pdf
Auto box with an option to change manually does the job.

My wife & I did the C test this year in an auto and as long as you have a manual car licence, you also get manual entitlement in the C. I started in C1 but found the C a lot easier despite the bigger size. Taking gears out of the equation made the driving a lot easier. We both passed first time in Cat C despite never previously driving anything bigger than a LWB Transit.
I'm in Scotland these days, most driving schools in the UK replaced manual trucks with autos as soon as the rules changed,the schools say it's much easier pass in an auto.

I don't know about prices back home but here in Scotland it cost about £1,100 each including theory and hazard perception tests.

eta - we went through all that because we are 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat when travelling!
3,500kg vans looked to have enough payload left for a sliced pan and a pack of Taytos. We needed the higher weight.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2016  ·  #5
Certainly a person could do a C licence test if one had the need or the enthusiasm.

However, if a person only needed a licence to drive a motorhome over 3.5t a C1 will do the job.
There being no mandatory lessons all a person needs to do is pass the theory and show up for the practical in something like a 4.6t rated Sprinter with a box body on the back, which should present no problem to an experienced motorhome driver.
Having said that, it would be a good idea to get a few hours practice with a professional instructor first to iron out any bad habits.

Droffats
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Benimar Mileo
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150hp Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2016  ·  #6
Watch out for the 3500kg campervans. We bought a brand new camper specified as 3.5k. I decided to have it weighed and was alarmed that it weighed 60kg over the limit. On board was myself, my wife, full tank of Diesel, 1/2 tank of water, no gas cylinder, no food, no clothes, a few bits and pieces in the garage, some bedclothes, no bicycle. How you are supposed to carry 4 adults, food, clothing I don't know.(Additional items were satellite dome - 10kg and bike rack c 9kg).

Luckily we can upgrade to 4650kg and then must have the c licence. Even at that there maybe weight issues. Luckily, too, we both can restore our c licence (we are within the 10yr period for renewal).

I fear that with previous camper vans I have been driving a lot over the max. weight.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2016  ·  #7
Quote by Droffats

Watch out for the 3500kg campervans. We bought a brand new camper specified as 3.5k. I decided to have it weighed and was alarmed that it weighed 60kg over the limit. On board was myself, my wife, full tank of Diesel, 1/2 tank of water, no gas cylinder, no food, no clothes, a few bits and pieces in the garage, some bedclothes, no bicycle. How you are supposed to carry 4 adults, food, clothing I don't know.(Additional items were satellite dome - 10kg and bike rack c 9kg).

Luckily we can upgrade to 4650kg and then must have the c licence. Even at that there maybe weight issues. Luckily, too, we both can restore our c licence (we are within the 10yr period for renewal).

I fear that with previous camper vans I have been driving a lot over the max. weight.

Wow, Richard.
🇧🇭 what make & model was it?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2016  ·  #8
Some 3.5t motorhomes can have as little as 280kg payload which can be eaten up surprisingly easy.

One of the issues is that in Europe vehicles over 3.5t suffer various restrictions and increased toll costs which is why 3.5t low payload versions are offered to the market with an option to increase to 3.85t, 4.0t or 4.25t depending on chassis used.
One of the ways to carry more and still operated a 3.5t model is to add a trailer, a 3.5t motorhome can legally how a .75t trailer and still remain within the regulations governing a 3.5t vehicle and be driven on a B licence without the need for a B+E.

The development of CP (Camper) tyres was a response to the general practice of chronic overloading of 3.5t motorhomes, such tyres are designed with a significantly increased margin of safety against structural failure over regular commercial van tyres when inflated to their recommended 5.5bar (80 psi)

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2016  ·  #9
Quote by baguette

Some 3.5t motorhomes can have as little as 280kg payload which can be eaten up surprisingly easy.

One of the issues is that in Europe vehicles over 3.5t suffer various restrictions and increased toll costs which is why 3.5t low payload versions are offered to the market with an option to increase to 3.85t, 4.0t or 4.25t depending on chassis used.
One of the ways to carry more and still operated a 3.5t model is to add a trailer, a 3.5t motorhome can legally how a .75t trailer and still remain within the regulations governing a 3.5t vehicle and be driven on a B licence without the need for a B+E.

The development of CP (Camper) tyres was a response to the general practice of chronic overloading of 3.5t motorhomes, such tyres are designed with a significantly increased margin of safety against structural failure over regular commercial van tyres when inflated to their recommended 5.5bar (80 psi)

Towing a small trailer behind a large vehicle can be a pain, unless you have something like this

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t…rSGZ496qjg

I have seen a few in France with Motorbikes on them but never a box body.

Droffats
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2016  ·  #10
Pat: In reply:
It is a Benimer Mileo 264. I should have said upgraded to 3,650kg not 4,650kg. A lovely machine with automatic gearbox and single beds in back (lengthways) + pull down double over dining area. Ducato 150hp engine and getting over 30mpg. Bought from Anchorpoint, who offer brilliant service.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2016  ·  #11
Quote by Droffats

It is a Benimer Mileo 264. I should have said upgraded to 3,650kg not 4,650kg. A lovely machine with automatic gearbox and single beds in back (lengthways) + pull down double over dining area. Ducato 150hp engine and getting over 30mpg. Bought from Anchorpoint, who offer brilliant service.

Just Googled it, Wow, that is a beautiful Motorhome, being an automatic it ticks nearly all my boxes. :love: had you to get it upgraded or did Anchorpoint do it, could you not have upgraded it to a larger weight? 150kg is not a lot extra.

Hope you have many years safe enjoyable Driving with it, Richard. :up:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2016  ·  #12
Quote by CHAUSSON

Towing a small trailer behind a large vehicle can be a pain, unless you have something like this

Here's the [url=

]French Design[/url], it's also available with two wheels for heavier loads

And here's the German Design with lots of options

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2016  ·  #13
Quote by Droffats

That model is based on the FIAT chassis so further uprating is probably subject to fitting an Air Assist system to supplement the standard leaf springs. [url]

[/url]

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2016  ·  #14
Quote by baguette

Quote by CHAUSSON

Here's the [url=

]French Design[/url], it's also available with two wheels for heavier loads

And here's the German Design with lots of options

The German one looks the biz, but how can they justify the price? 🇧🇭 you could buy a triple axle Ifor Williams trailer cheaper.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2016  ·  #15

The German one looks the biz, but how can they justify the price? 🇧🇭 you could buy a triple axle Ifor Williams trailer cheaper.

Pricey all right, but because a B+E licence isn't required, a person doesn't require trailer reversing skills, it's easy to back up anywhere it's needed to and depending on model a payload increase of over 500kg can be achieved without crossing the 3.5t line to some they are obviously worth the cost.

Don't know who would be in the market for the bedroom version. maybe someone looking for a granny flat extension for their motorhome :D :-/

Droffats
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2016  ·  #16
Quote by Droffats

Just Googled it, Wow, that is a beautiful Motorhome, being an automatic it ticks nearly all my boxes. :love: had you to get it upgraded or did Anchorpoint do it, could you not have upgraded it to a larger weight? 150kg is not a lot extra.

Hope you have many years safe enjoyable Driving with it, Richard. :up:
The only Man that knows what is in front of him is the Man with the wheelbarrow.

With regard to upgrade, Anchorpoint are arranging it free of charge. Apparently the existing chassis is suitable for 3,650kg so all that is needed is the new VIN plate plus paperwork for tax documents. The larger , over4k model, is a different chassis so ours cannot be upgraded. We probably would have gone for it but did not realise at the time what the weight restrictions would have been.(Although this over 4k would probably cost c€2k extra.)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.