Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Radiator Flush

· 
Posted: 25.08.2017  ·  #41
Killiand, by any chance when you refilled the radiator did you turn the heater knob to red before you started. If not, I suspect that there is now trapped air in the cab heater element which in stopping the flow of engine coolant through the element therefore, no dash heat.
Leave it control knob on red for the rest of the trip and the air lock may move itself.
Enjoy the Glenbarrow falls and the board walk up there but don't get lost as there is about 80km of trails up there. Do you want me to drop off my kids as tour guides, as they have done 20 km hikes for the scouts up there?

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2017  ·  #42
It was on heater the whole time, but i'd bet hard cash that it has to be an air lock... i did empty and refill about 5 times in the whole process and different pipes being filled and coming off.. is there any way in particular to blast through an air lock? I will be draining again anyway, as want to put a coolant/water mix in it.. so that might sort it!

That might be an idea!! although - rather than tour guides, we could provide a case for them to investigate as their first search and rescue mission :)

Small confession - had no idea that whole area existed.. so looking foward to having a nosy around!!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2017  ·  #43
It's a local gem which hasn't been advertised to the masses and because there are no steep gradients it doesn't appeal to the "iron man type". It's perfect for a ramble which we do generally in the winter when the MH is parked. By the way, do you mind me asking, where have you parked as I not familiar with any overnighting near there. I am in Portlaoise by the way.
Malcolm

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #44
Killiand, look where the heater hoses goes in thru the bulk head on the engine bay.
The return hose 'may' have a bleed screw on it, either a brass or plastic screw in an aparature in the hose or like a tyre valve cap. It will be on the highest point in the cooling system to release the air.
If not, then remove the return hose at the engine and attach a garden hose to it and flush thru with water while letting it escape where the hose came off at the engine. Air locks very common when system goes dry.
The heater matrix will hold approximately 1 litre of water so your header tank will empty if the air lock releases.

Keep er lit !

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #45
Cheers Jon, I'll be getting a sign on the back soon saying 'sponsored by jjf' ;)

Can I do any damage running her or am I good enough to get home and deal with it then?

Malcolm - very lucky to have it on your doorstep! We overnighted in portarlington to pick some bits up from the garden shop at 8.30 - having a coffee now and be on the way down then! :)

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #46
Should be fine, no circulation of water around heater matrix circuit so cooling efficiency won't be up to par but will be OK.
Just make sure she's topped up in the radiator.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #47
Right... So I finally got a few minutes to look at this some more....

I heated up to 90 to see if there was heat through the pipes... But very curiously the fans never kicked in...

Couldn't find a bleed anywhere - but could the fans not kicking in be the actual problem??

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #48
By fluke/chance the cooling fan has started coming on at 90 ish, I disconnected and reconnected the switch and tested voltage across it... Seemed okay.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #49
So in case this helps - what I think are the pipes that feed the heater matrix Do get hot when the van is running...does this mean that a more likely problem could be the heat selector?
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #50
Sounds like the heat is turned off, check the cable where it connects to the valve as some cables are stiff and give the impression they are doing the action but in actual fact doing nothing
I had that in a scania 143 a few years back, there was a little plastic clip that slid over the cable to keep it in the valve, a small cable tie did the trick in the end,

Either that or the valve plap inside might be stuck,

worth a check,

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #51
Killiand.... not sure on your model....
But mine had a problem where the plastic flap that directed the air through/not through the matrix had the little plastic lever broken off.
It was a simple fix, but as I say...
Not sure of your model.
Yes, hot pipes means water is circulating and possible cause of being cold is the flap problem.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #52
Killiand, check the pollen filter for the heating fan. It filters the outside air entering the cab heating system. Bearing in mind the age of your MH,and most servicing mechanics don't bother to change this filter, I wouldn’t be surprised when you check the filter the element is full of dust and dirt. Hoover out the dirt and check the fan again. Then move to jjf tip about the plastic flap.
Malcolm

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2017  ·  #53
My sons Citroën c2 had a problem with the heater not working, we tried flushing etc but in the end the only thing that sorted it was a new heater matrix, it was so full of crud that nothing was going to cure it, also the two pipes similar to those in your picture both were hot

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2017  ·  #54
Normally the flow control valve would be in the engine bay as the lads and girls saI'd it could be direction flap check youtube ??put the model in

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

The offending piece...!!!

· 
Posted: 18.09.2017  ·  #55
I think and hope I've found the culprit! And thank you everyone for your responses :)

I followed the cable from behind the selector - across behind the dash and to where it was turning - nothing!

The piece in the photo appears to be sheared - as I reckon it's meant to be a closed catch - it goes around a white Knob the I assume turns the gate! So I think I'll have to get a new one of those - as I can't get it to grip and stay gripped around the white control knob!
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2017  ·  #56
Happy days, hope its easy to sort as you will be needing it soon with the weather starting to get a bit cooler,

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2017  ·  #57
Killiand, give the white knob a turn to check firstly that the lever valve is not seized and start the engine and check if the heater matrix is warming up before ordering the cable conection.
With the weather getting cooler now the heater can be left in the warm position all the time and change the cable at another time.
It might help to get you back on the road sooner.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2017  ·  #58

check firstly that the lever valve is not seized and start the engine and check if the heater matrix is warming up before ordering the cable conection.

You're dead right! couldn't move the white knob at all at all... so I'll give it a lash of WD40 and try to get at it again either today or tomorrow!

awh stop - we were like two ice cubes only a week or two ago .. and we tend to do most of our outings in the winter!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.