ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Trip around ireland.

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #1
So we left Dublin Saturday morning, headed for Rooskie. Followed the satnav instructions, thought it was a bit long but never queried it. (Should have, had avoid tolls activated so added a lot of unneccessary miles).
Anyway arrived at Rooskie, very welcoming reception from the owner, got parked up and hooked up, and had a few beers across the bridge in one of the local pubs. Good craic and a great stopover, all services provided, and lovely the next morning drinking a coffee on the slipway looking at the boats. About 12 or 14 euro with hook up if I remember correctly.

Headed of early the next day to Kilkelly to hook up with an old buddy and camped side of the road up from a pub. Quiet night no bother and friendly village.

Again up early and headed to Achill Island, making our way to Keel.Sandybanks Caravan and Camping was our base for the night. Very clean, plenty of spots, although had to drive around for a while to get a pitch with hook up.Again all services, well run and a five minute walk to the village, 2 minutes to the beach. Sue went surfing and I was surprised at how cheap it was. 5 euro to rent the board and a fiver for the suit. FOR THE DAY. Now thats good pricing.
If you have young kids, theres loads there for them, both on site and off site. Will go back again.
20 euro per night, unit 2 adults, 4 euro ehu and 1 euro per shower token.

Next morning we headed to Ballyvaughan. When we arrived up at Monks the no overnight parking signs were all over the place, so i enquired at the pub. Really friendly staff, told us that didnt apply to us and we would have no problems.
The views out over the bay are stunning. Left the van and had a beer. Headed up the town, bought some food in the local supermarket, had a few beers and got chatting to a Dutch couple, and headed back to the van to cook some grub. Had another few beers outside Monks, got a good nights sleep and headed early the next day.

Wednesday hit the Road to Cobh. What can i say that hasnt already been said. Great place for an overnighter,
10 euro per night. Lovely walk to the centre, great places to eat and great pubs.
Check out the Quays bar and restaurant, sit outside on the decking, watch the boats pulling in and leaving, enjoy the sounds of the sea.Beautiful in the sun.

Thursday headed towards Wexford and ended up staying in Wellingtonbridge. Went into Tir Na Nog bar, asked the owner if there anywhere local we could park up, and he offered us the use of his carpark.Parked up away from traffic, came back, had a meal for a tenner, bacon, cabbage, veg, and Sue had stuffed chicken, roughly the same price.
Great pub, really friendly staff and locals and great for an overnighter. Spar supermarket, costcutter petrol station, takeaway, pub and nice people.

Friday, with a heavy heart we headed home. But we are now planning another trip and look forward to meeting all our Craicer buddies over the year. :D

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

Re: Trip around ireland.

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #2
Quote by ROBANDSUE

So we left Dublin Saturday morning, headed for Rooskie. Followed the satnav instructions, thought it was a bit long but never queried it. (Should have, had avoid tolls activated so added a lot of unneccessary miles).
Anyway arrived at Rooskie, very welcoming reception from the owner, got parked up and hooked up, and had a few beers across the bridge in one of the local pubs. Good craic and a great stopover, all services provided, and lovely the next morning drinking a coffee on the slipway looking at the boats. About 12 or 14 euro with hook up if I remember correctly.

Headed of early the next day to Kilkelly to hook up with an old buddy and camped side of the road up from a pub. Quiet night no bother and friendly village.

Again up early and headed to Achill Island, making our way to Keel.Sandybanks Caravan and Camping was our base for the night. Very clean, plenty of spots, although had to drive around for a while to get a pitch with hook up.Again all services, well run and a five minute walk to the village, 2 minutes to the beach. Sue went surfing and I was surprised at how cheap it was. 5 euro to rent the board and a fiver for the suit. FOR THE DAY. Now thats good pricing.
If you have young kids, theres loads there for them, both on site and off site. Will go back again.
20 euro per night, unit 2 adults, 4 euro ehu and 1 euro per shower token.

Next morning we headed to Ballyvaughan. When we arrived up at Monks the no overnight parking signs were all over the place, so i enquired at the pub. Really friendly staff, told us that didnt apply to us and we would have no problems.
The views out over the bay are stunning. Left the van and had a beer. Headed up the town, bought some food in the local supermarket, had a few beers and got chatting to a Dutch couple, and headed back to the van to cook some grub. Had another few beers outside Monks, got a good nights sleep and headed early the next day.

Wednesday hit the Road to Cobh. What can i say that hasnt already been said. Great place for an overnighter,
10 euro per night. Lovely walk to the centre, great places to eat and great pubs.
Check out the Quays bar and restaurant, sit outside on the decking, watch the boats pulling in and leaving, enjoy the sounds of the sea.Beautiful in the sun.

Thursday headed towards Wexford and ended up staying in Wellingtonbridge. Went into Tir Na Nog bar, asked the owner if there anywhere local we could park up, and he offered us the use of his carpark.Parked up away from traffic, came back, had a meal for a tenner, bacon, cabbage, veg, and Sue had stuffed chicken, roughly the same price.
Great pub, really friendly staff and locals and great for an overnighter. Spar supermarket, costcutter petrol station, takeaway, pub and nice people.

Friday, with a heavy heart we headed home. But we are now planning another trip and look forward to meeting all our Craicer buddies over the year. :D

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #3
Wow! huge amount of mileage clocked up! sounds like you enjoyed every bit of it :) did you use the app on your travels? you might be able to add reviews to help fellow craicers along their way :)

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #4
absolutely loved it Killian. I added two reviews to the app and a review of a couple of places.
the app was great help finding spots.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #5
Great trip! glad you had a great time.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #6
Quote by Ally

Great trip! glad you had a great time.

Cheers Ally

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #7
hi rob and sue we were parked up beside you at rooskey didn't realize you were embarking on a trip like that! fair play, how was the mpg and how did the bus preform.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #8
Quote by oldautotrailer

hi rob and sue we were parked up beside you at rooskey didn't realize you were embarking on a trip like that! fair play, how was the mpg and how did the bus preform.

hi John, isnt that a pity we didnt hook up. Although in fairness we were in the pub more than in the van hahaha. Absolutely great trip, we had decided to wake up every morning, hit the road and hope for the best.
Most days the van was no problem, except when we headed over mountains, then she struggled. But never let us down.
I had a cvrt the day before and one of the failures was fuel leaking into the engine, which explains why i thought the fuel consumption was high from the day i got it.
We spent 165 euro on juice, travelled 1400 kms, so the consumption was not great, but hey, who cares.
We had a great time, and are thinking of heading to devon/conwall next year for the week. Sue reckons we will squeeze in a trip to the Emmerdale set as well, and as far a sim concerned, if it keeps her happy, why not.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #9
Quote: We had a great time, and are thinking of heading to devon/cornwall next year for the week. Sue reckons we will squeeze in a trip to the Emmerdale set as well, and as far a sim concerned, if it keeps her happy, why not.

We did Devon and Cornwall last year, used ACSI CC card as most of their sites are in Cornwall area....if not a member, worth it, pays for itself in a few days as great discount.
We used Brit Stop a few times, that costs £30 for the book. We were in UK for 4 weeks in Sept and temp was 34 deg at one stage.
Unless you are planning to go to Yorkshire in NE it is a bit far from Cornwall, which is a very long county.
You could go to Port Issac in Cornwall if Sue a fan of Doc Martin or that general area if a Poldark fan.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #10
thanks Rosemary, thats great info. And sue is a HUGE fan of Doc martin, i think thats where the original idea to do decon/cornwall stemmed from.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #11
Quote by ROBANDSUE

thanks Rosemary, thats great info. And sue is a HUGE fan of Doc martin, i think thats where the original idea to do decon/cornwall stemmed from.

I'm born and bred Port Isaac, still have a house there, my mum was born in and my grandfather was the coastguard. BUT yep big BUTT, Port Isaac is difficult to get to in a large motorhome and even more difficult to park in. There is a Carpark at the top of the village about 15 minute walk to harbour and about 20 back, up hill.
Devon and Cornwall are lovely just don't aim to drive on a Saturday during the summer the A30 will be very busy.
If it were me I'd go to St Ives park the MH and hire a car.
Have fun either way.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #12
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

BUT yep big BUTT

Don't worry Jamie we never noticed when we visited.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #13
Quote by Ally"]
[quote="StrandCampingDoonbeg

BUT yep big BUTT

Don't worry Jamie we never noticed when we visited.
[/quote
Perhaps it's all the pastys

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #14
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by ROBANDSUE

I'm born and bred Port Isaac, still have a house there, my mum was born in and my grandfather was the coastguard. BUT yep big BUTT, Port Isaac is difficult to get to in a large motorhome and even more difficult to park in. There is a Carpark at the top of the village about 15 minute walk to harbour and about 20 back, up hill.
Devon and Cornwall are lovely just don't aim to drive on a Saturday during the summer the A30 will be very busy.
If it were me I'd go to St Ives park the MH and hire a car.
Have fun either way.

Again, thanks for that info Strand, hopefully we will head there sept 2018, or early may 2018. either way i will be taking all the advice i can get.
:up:

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #15
hi rob and sue we done cornwall last year, we just done a five day trip more or less straight to st ives mostly evening and night driving to avoid the traffic, stayed in a fab site well worth it. walked down to st ives most days as already said here roads VERY NARROW! as strand said port issac, we parked at the carpark near the town and walked down to it again well worth a visit.we went early july just before their school holidays. if your thinking of it it might be worth doing a two stop on the way down and on the way back just gallop for it!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #16
Quote by oldautotrailer

hi rob and sue we done cornwall last year, we just done a five day trip more or less straight to st ives mostly evening and night driving to avoid the traffic, stayed in a fab site well worth it. walked down to st ives most days as already said here roads VERY NARROW! as strand said port issac, we parked at the carpark near the town and walked down to it again well worth a visit.we went early july just before their school holidays. if your thinking of it it might be worth doing a two stop on the way down and on the way back just gallop for it!

thanks John, i was thinking of heading dublin liverpool, doing the emerdale thing and doing an overnighter somewhere on the way to port isaac. the plan then is to head around devon and cornwall, making our way back to the boat. only going for a week, but i reckon that will be enough.
im more concerned about the width of the roads to be honest, although our van is small enough.

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #17
thats a long haul from yorkshire to cornwall! i think the emerdale set is closed now, but the village that was used you can still visit we done it with the heartbeat trip. your van is similiar to our hymer so no problems as such, most of the roads down cornwall and devon are like our country roads but a fair few in some of the coastal towns are very narrow and probably are better seen parked up and stroll around them.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #18
Quote by oldautotrailer

thats a long haul from yorkshire to cornwall! i think the emerdale set is closed now, but the village that was used you can still visit we done it with the heartbeat trip. your van is similiar to our hymer so no problems as such, most of the roads down cornwall and devon are like our country roads but a fair few in some of the coastal towns are very narrow and probably are better seen parked up and stroll around them.

i will make sure to have a good look on google earth first and seek the advice and experience from all you "old lads" :happy:

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2017  ·  #19
We stayed at Polmanter campsite in St. Ives 2 years. Made a big mistake 2nd year, followed the sat nav went through housing estate , ended up in a small lane, to a farm, asked lady hanging out washing for directions...yes just keep going...we were brushing the hedges on both sides for 2 miles, fortunately anyone we met backed up to let us past.. If you go main road to St Ives big pub to side of road and caravan park not far up road behind it. Some of the campsites had swimming pools.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #20
I wrote the following last night but can't find it anywhere, maybe it didn't send, so putting in again as this is same kind of post >>>>

We have month of Sept to travel around Ireland instead of going to France.
Last night read up on Ally's Blog called "Heading South" written this time last year.
I also followed Flansvan blog few weeks ago ( we were beside him at Scarva...Lily met Biz.)

Plan to set off early this week from Dublin going SE, S, SW, read so much about Strandcamping definitely want to go there, back across to Dublin for 10/11 Sept. then off again.
Looking at Hidden Valley and I see Hook mentioned can you park overnight? , Ardmore.
What about Cobh ...all good there still?
In Kerry thinking Cahirseeveen /Valentia, Killarney. We have been on non-MH holidays in earlier years to Mizen Head and Dingle.
Barley Cove looks nice but can't bring a dog.
strand camping at Doonbeg

After few days in Dublin head up east coast, around to Portstewart for 15/16 craic get together, maybe Donegal, Sligo and home.
If weather miserable we can just go home at any stage..

I don't venture far from MH, but hubby walks the dog twice a day, so I want to feel safe where we park.
We don't tend to go to pubs, or eat out (not left dog on her own in MH) but close enough to shops.

As mentioned in previous posts our dog gets queasy while travelling but as much for our own comfort.
is it possible to avoid narrow, twisty roads with approaching coaches.

ACSI in Ireland available in a few places after this weekend but mainly 1-30 Sept, very few open later in year.
Has anyone plans to be anywhere in particular in Sept?
I am always on lookout for the yellow MHC sticker.

Sent from my iPad

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #21
We'll be at the MHC meet in Portstewart too.
Don't miss out Donegal/Sligo/Mayo. Stunning scenery, especially Donegal (not biased, honest !)
Have you talked to your vet regarding your dogs motion sickness? May be able to offer treatment?
Enjoy your trip, it will be smashing.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #22
Quote by R&N

I wrote the following last night but can't find it anywhere, maybe it didn't send, so putting in again as this is same kind of post >>>>

We have month of Sept to travel around Ireland instead of going to France.
Last night read up on Ally's Blog called "Heading South" written this time last year.
I also followed Flansvan blog few weeks ago ( we were beside him at Scarva...Lily met Biz.)

Plan to set off early this week from Dublin going SE, S, SW, read so much about Strandcamping definitely want to go there, back across to Dublin for 10/11 Sept. then off again.
Looking at Hidden Valley and I see Hook mentioned can you park overnight? , Ardmore.
In Kerry thinking Cahirseeveen /Valentia, Killarney. We have been on non-MH holidays in earlier years to Mizen Head and Dingle.

After few days in Dublin head up east coast, around to Portstewart for 15/16 craic get together, maybe Donegal, Sligo and home.
If weather miserable we can just go home at any stage..

I don't venture far from MH, but hubby walks the dog twice a day, so I want to feel safe where we park.
We don't tend to go to pubs, or eat out (not left dog on her own in MH) but close enough to shops.

As mentioned in previous posts our dog gets queasy while travelling but as much for our own comfort.

ACSI in Ireland available in a few places after this weekend but mainly 1-30 Sept, very few open later in year.
Has anyone plans to be anywhere in particular in Sept?
I am always on lookout for the yellow MHC sticker.

Sent from my iPad

I cannot really help regarding some of your questions. But others who have stayed here have rated apple farm favourably. Also several people have said good things about Nagles and O'Connors in Doolin.
As for our September price for the MH. 2 adults and ehu is €15 per night. We do not charge for showers or pets. We also have a small dog walking area on the campsite, new this year. Best to give me a call a day or two before you are likely to arrive. 085 8367324. Regards Jamie.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #23
Just note that the Apple Farm have highlighted "No Dogs" when we were there two weeks ago,

Enjoy the trip,

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #24
Thanks Jamie, I have your number on my mobile now.
We have stayed in Apple Farm and love it, but now we have a dog.
I phoned and she didn't didn't say definitely not, just that they had their own dogs, probably ok if for only one night....though I have just see Mad Max's comment too.
I suppose too it would depend on how busy. I think I would phone them again before I would head in that direction.

Thanks JJF, we love Donegal and one our favourite areas. We used to stay at Shroove Lighthouse in Inishowen (staff holiday home), (but we have MH now) , friends in Moville, and out past Clonmany on headland and SJP, so lots of reasons to visit Donegal. We were at Singing Pub last year for craic meeting. I heard Killybegs was good.

Castlebar in Mayo was good, must have been off season as quiet.
We cycled on Greenway from Newport...as wide street in the town, parked there while we cycled but no overnight stopping.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #25
Yes, the singing pub meet !
I organised that one and ended up in Letterkenny hospital.
Must do it again (meet that is, not hospital !)

Lots of spots up around the coast of the county, many on the APP.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #26
Whats the story eith the honda 90 up on the shelf does anybody know?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #27
Not sure what the craic is with the Honda 90.
Remember when my son was younger I told him that the barman/owner had a Honda 50 that he rode to and from work, and he kept it in the bar with him.
Told him he parked it in the bar, he didn't believe me...... asked where it was and I always told him it's here somewhere. He looked everywhere.
Took him 3 visits before he found it.......
great memories.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #28
Id say there is a story behind it,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Trip around ireland.

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #29
[quote="R&N"]
I wrote the following last night bu

We have month of Sept to travel around Ireland instead of going to Fran

ACSI in Ireland available in a few places after this weekend but mainly 1-30 Sept, very few open later in year

A few answers.
Hidden valley brilliant (my family are down there at the moment)
Hook head wild camping .plenty to do and good walking ,check out Hook lighthouse website go to links and look at the Web Cams.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #30
Hi R&N,
If you don't feel safe in staying at hook head, there is another option in staying at the Hollow bar and seafood restaurant in Ramsgrange, about 20 mins from Hook head. Beside the restaurant ,they have a chipper. We stayed there on St Patrick night, and had no issues. If Dunmore east is on your plans,I recommend taking the ferry from Ballyhack in Wexford across to Passage East which I think is about €12/13, and saves about 70 miles of driving.
My neighbour has a dog who suffered with travel sickness, but after consulting a vet who had stool samples tested, the dog's diet was changed with very good results.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2017  ·  #31
Hi R & N
we stayed in Cobh, great spot, no issues, close to town,
Also in Keel on Achill Island, camp site right at the beech,
Have a great trip, hopefully see you on 15/16th sept.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.