Wild Atlantic Way

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Wild Atlantic Way

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #1
We started part of the wild Atlantic way on Monday we drove down to cork and stayed in cobh overnight what a great place to stay.
The next morning we set out starting in kinsale but the Town was gridlock not a hope of parking for a few hours so we drove on through.
We the next couple of days on the route and finished up in Killarney for the night and returned home the next day but we will start in Killarney and finish the route at a later date.
The trip was really enjoyable but a word of caution the cork & Kerry councils have not cut the hedgerows and the heavy rain made the hedgerows hang out even further in your path . The amount of campers we seen in Killarney with broken mirrors bad scrapes on the sides and roofs of there vans some still had branches jammed on them there was also some very bad potholes so be careful if you decide to go

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Re: Wild Atlantic Way

· 
Posted: 09.06.2017  ·  #2
Lovely area to go for a trip around! Shame about the hedgerows!! Thanks for the info!

Andy Bashford
My Motorhome: Bailey AA740
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2017  ·  #3
Following that theme if you are doing any of the southern penisulas, make sure you use the correct tourist circulation, otherwise you are fighting against the tide of tourist coaches which would make losing a mirror quite probable. ROK is anti clockwise and I know from experience 🤔

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2017  ·  #4
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2017  ·  #5
Quote by Peter Koster

Just did Beara, Kerry and Dingle clockwise, no problem (apart from sometimes needing to get back:-) )

HI Peter.
Did you overnight anywhere between Beara and Dingle ?

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2017  ·  #6
Yep. Portmagee parking near the bridge. Some guy told us we were not to empty toilet in the public toilets, but we were welcome to stay. We would have stayed at a parking other side of the bridge, may be kiometer left at Valentia Island, but I didn't have 10 euro in coins. Great view however.
Had a great night at Inch Strand. We were the only one to stay for the night. Asked the local surf shop and checked the internet for high tides, but no problem. When you enter the beach, it's signposted to park at the left, posible for a kilometer. At the entrance you will find public toilets. I could empty my loo overthere, but found no way to rinse it out.

Andy Bashford
My Motorhome: Bailey AA740
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by Peter Koster

Just did Beara, Kerry and Dingle clockwise, no problem (apart from sometimes needing to get back:-) )

It is a bit of a pain in wider Motorhomes as you have to slow down or stop for every coach, if going against the tourist coach circulation.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2017  ·  #8
Quote by Peter Koster

Had a great night at Inch Strand. At the entrance you will find public toilets. I could empty my loo overthere, but found no way to rinse it out.

This is very easy to overcome,just keep your next milk carton and fill it with water and keep it for this job.

JacSprat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2017  ·  #9
Currently driving the whole WAW counterclockwise. We have six weeks to do it. Crossed over from Cairnryan Scotland and started in Larne NI and did the causeway coastal way first.
Brilliant trip. Donegal beaches and headland our favourite so far. Lots of wild camping. Using our fire pit almost every night to burn logs and peat. At Achill island right now at the Parksafe site at the Hy Breasal B and B at Achill Sound as you enter the island. Best facilities ever and cheapest camping to date (20e all included even washing machine). We're in a Hymer 654. Come and say hello if you see us. Jackie and Martin x

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2017  ·  #10
Good to hear ye are enjoying the trip,

Have you got the app

Great info for such a trip

JacSprat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2017  ·  #11
Yep that app is helpful for the route and motorhome parking Ireland and Park4night is good for campspots.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.