eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: French trip, sort of a blog.......

· 
Posted: 29.04.2017  ·  #41
Believe it or not we got some lovely fish and chips in the old town just beside the church a few yrs ago we stayed in the munisipal site not such a long climb up to the town as the aire but the aire is in a lovely location

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2017  ·  #42
Sorry for no updates, but been hectic Few days coupled to staying on aires and problem with the mifi power cable (thanks to E.Lerclec stores computer cable stand for repair) unit ment internet access has been hit and miss.
Left Dinan, up to St.Malo and checking passage to Channel Islands found prices to be €400 for van across, so toss up....... leave van, go as foot passengers.... but dog is an issue and accommodation may not accept an animal, do pay up or shut up !....... decision made to make the channel island trip via fly-be from Belfast at a later date. Not really practical to pay to take van over.
If we had no dog then foot passenger was reasonable and van left on site for a couple of days would have been OK.
So, what to do?..... up the coast to the site at Mont-St-Michael, we've been around that way often but never actually went to the Mont itself, so this time said we would do it. It really is a tourist trap, but it is worth going once to see it. Very impressive structure with a coloured history. The building is massive and the 'tourist trail' is busy and can be frustrating. The parameter is full of tat shops and very overpriced eateries with food of pretty poor quality...... but as I said it's worth going once.

We thought we better think about going back to Ireland at some stage !..... so with this in mind our next stop would be dictated by the requirement to visit the vet with the dog and have her looked over and passport stamped to comply with the requirements at the port. So, off we set for our vet of choice, Dr.Marten (highly recommended) in St.Lo, Monday the 1st of May is a bank holiday and we arrived at the Aire At the edge of town that was all but deserted. We had serviced the van before leaving Mont-St-Michael so the service bourne in St.Lo being out of order did not bother us but many French/Dutch/German Vans had to travel onward another 10KM to another point. I stuck up a sign on the bourne in a few languages (ain't google translate great !) saying it was 'out of order' to assist others getting parked up, getting out hoses e.t.c only to find out that it wasn't working.
Vet appointment secured for 9am next morning left us set up nicely.
Tuesday dawned bright and with the dog getting the full MOT and passing with no advisories! We were on our way once again, this time westerly to another haunt we enjoy. Not an official aire, but a well used stop by motorhomers at a place called Blainville-Sur-Mer, well just north of it in a place where the fishermen launch their boats and where one of the craziest and best seafood restaurants is located. Known by the locals and visitors alike as "The shack" , Le Cala is just that, a shack right on the beach with one crazy owner !. The fish/shellfish is bought from the fishermen there and then and cooked on a big open BBQ/Firepit, just amazing & fresh. The piano is played by an Irishman but alas he was missing last night ! Worth a visit if you're in the area.
Wednesday morning and just a 50KM trip north up to just north of Portbail into a small site called Camping-Du-Golf see Camping-Du-Gulf and tomorrow a simple trip up the coast to Cherbourg, we sail back to Rosslare tomorrow night at 8pm.
So tomorrow a bit of shopping for the vino in Cherbourg for the trip back.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2017  ·  #43
I'm sorry to see your trip coming to an end. We are travelling over in September and I think we may just visit a few of the same locations. Safe home.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2017  ·  #44
An epic tale! We're booked for the end of May and your blog has just made us want to go right now! Safe journey home.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2017  ·  #45
Quote by Mark&Wendy

I'm sorry to see your trip coming to an end. We are travelling over in September and I think we may just visit a few of the same locations. Safe home.

Had a super trip, not over yet. On ferry now and decided weekend on north coast of Ireland before home!
So, just logged on to irishferries and booked September, looking like a trip to France/Northern Spain/Portugal on the cards !
Enjoy your time here, absolutely superb place for motorhoming, for food, wine, culture......so relaxed and so well set up to cater for our type of holiday.

Quote by kevinmoore

An epic tale! We're booked for the end of May and your blog has just made us want to go right now! Safe journey home.

Enjoy, you'll have a ball, superb place.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2017  ·  #46
Quote by JJF

Quote by Mark&Wendy

Had a super trip, not over yet. On ferry now and decided weekend on north coast of Ireland before home!
So, just logged on to irishferries and booked September, looking like a trip to France/Northern Spain/Portugal on the cards !
Enjoy your time here, absolutely superb place for motorhoming, for food, wine, culture......so relaxed and so well set up to cater for our type of holiday.

Quote by kevinmoore

Enjoy, you'll have a ball, superb place.

Yep spent a month touring France Spain Portugal and Holland last year! And we're booked for September this year too....

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2017  ·  #47
Seeme to be quite a few of us heading south in September can't wait will have to take a guike before then

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2017  ·  #48
Heading that way ourselves in July,France being our first call but might end up towards Spain.
Sure that is the joys of Motorhoming,park it when you feel like it.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2017  ·  #49
Few stats.

2240 miles travelled
Averaged just over 27MPG
Used approx 23 KGS gas
€260 site/Aires spend.
€20 laundrette fees
€74 toll road costs
€30 for data on 3 card.
€30 Vet fees for dog.
€50 on guides/annual Apps fees, but have them for future visits. Very good Aires book in french €11, has 5500 Aires listed.
Spend on wine/food/entertainment/fun/experiences/memories = priceless !

Solar panels had batteries full early in the morning even after pretty heavy usage when no EHU.
TV worked perfectly everywhere using manual dish/Openbox V8S.

Stayed 15 nights on sites, rest in Aires/pasions. High site usage as daughter was with us 1st week and used site near Tours.

No problems with van, ran perfectly other than broken windscreen within 30 mins of leaving home !.. not bad for a 22 year old van !

Can't wait for return towards end of the year, further south towards Portugal next visit.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #50
Like a few others here, I am hoping to head to France later this year, it will be our first trip abroad in a motorhome, probably go to the Vendee and we are really looking forward to the trip. I found the stats particularly interesting, it will help me in terms of how much gas you used , even while staying on sites and I assume site electricity for fridge, lights etc. I have a question regarding the TV, what was your manual dish setup, and did you need an internet connection for EPG. I hope we all have trouble free enjoyable trips as you have had. Preparation is the key , and your blog certainly will help me . Many thanks. :up:

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #51
Quote by ColinM

Like a few others here, I am hoping to head to France later this year, it will be our first trip abroad in a motorhome, probably go to the Vendee and we are really looking forward to the trip. I found the stats particularly interesting, it will help me in terms of how much gas you used , even while staying on sites and I assume site electricity for fridge, lights etc. I have a question regarding the TV, what was your manual dish setup, and did you need an internet connection for EPG. I hope we all have trouble free enjoyable trips as you have had. Preparation is the key , and your blog certainly will help me . Many thanks. :up:

Yes, fridge etc on electric on site. Gas used on fridge when using Aires and also when parked up at places during the day. BBQ also gas and was extensively used.
Sattelite is a manual 90cm dish on tripod, using sat finder permanently fixed and an APP to see the satellite direction. Yes, used MiFi connection for EPG and such.
Vendee is lovely, you'll have a great trip.
Bit of preparation before leaving but just go with the flow when you are there, like a place then stay, if not then move on. So many options in France that it makes it so easy. Things like food is easy, just take enough leaving Ireland for a few meals and buy fresh in France.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2017  ·  #52
Cheers :up:

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #53
Colm, JJF's posts were great, and definitely gave great suggestions. We did our first trip last year and within a few days were travelling like natives! France really is as MH freindly as they say. We are off on our second French expedition on Wednesday and can't wait! If you are heading towards the Vendee, I'd highly recommend a stopover at Mont St Michel, it's stunning. There is a great commercial aire there, was €15/night last year Inc ehu and has full facilities.

I'd also suggest getting a toll tag for the French motorways, you can order online from SANEF and they'll post to you, and charge tolls to your credit card. Much handier than leaning out of the window!

Anyhow enjoy your trip and have a blast!

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #54
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting away, Mont St Michel would be on my way down the Autoroute, a good place for a stop, I was there many years ago , stunning . :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.