Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Kilkenny

· 
Posted: 27.03.2017  ·  #1
Hi all,

This won't be the most exciting blog - but will hopefully be informative!

We decided to head down to Kilkenny for a couple of nights in Patricks week, initially with the intent of going into the city for the festivities...

Our first port of call however - was "The National Reptile Zoo" - The staff literally could not have been more pleasant and we almost had the place to ourselves (with the kids being in school on the Thursday!). They've a couple of cool exhibits and run regular 'encounters' where they'll bring out 2 creatures and tell you all about them. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and spent 3/4 hours there! for €9 each - well worth popping in! We actually stayed the night in Gowran town - there's a square in the centre just opposite the church, that fit the MH in for parking (no pay and display/restrictions etc.) - There is however a pub - and I'd suggest that it might not be the best for weekend camping.

We travelled down the road a bit further (more or less rambling around!) and headed for Kilfane Waterfall (not realising it was paid in... and only open for two months of the year!!) so headed on till we came to inistioge. Inistioge is a beautiful little village, not much by way of shops etc - but seemed to have some lovely walks. We pulled in beside the river (only to be joined by a second camper within minutes!) and got chatting to a local who sent us on what turned out to be a wild goose chase, looking for a waterfall. It's an absolute 'MUST return to' location and would be ideal for anyone looking for a chilled area to spend a couple of walking days in etc. (Also fishing on the nore). The goose chase wasn't wholly fruitless as we returned under the light of a blanket of stars - the best dark skies i've seen in quite a long time!

We returned to a layby (will add it in to the map) that served it's purpose perfectly.. just off a local (not too busy) road but halfway between where we were and where we wanted to be. it was a quiet night - receiving significant shelter from the wind by the woods, and took a stroll up the woodlands the next day!

All in all - a part of the country we will definitely be committing more time to exploring - and I'd highly recommend!

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Kilkenny

· 
Posted: 29.03.2017  ·  #2
Good post Killian, agree with you Kilkenny is a great spot. We visited in November but stayed in Tree Grove campsite in Kilkenny as we wanted to be close to the city. But touring around the region, it's also worthy checking out Bennetsbridge, the Nicholas Mosse pottery is worth a visit, and there is a lot to see in the whole area.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Reply on Kilkenny

· 
Posted: 29.03.2017  ·  #3
Killian.
It is a beautiful area, if you go down that way again, check out , Woodstock Arboretum, Inistioge, ( 52.475100, -7.060306 ) you have to pay a small fee in , great for walking and picnic , I don't think they would let you park up which is a pity.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.