Home after the causeway and Donegal

neil
Subject:

Home after the causeway and Donegal

· 
Posted: 01.09.2015  ·  #1
I meant to write this a week or so ago, we had a great trip to Ireland and then had a few days in London complete with a micro heatwave.

I can't believe how the giant's causeway has changed, i felt like turning around and leaving due to the amount of people. I would advise visiting after 7pm in a motorhome so you can park in the car park and have less people to fight through. You can also view the causeway free as long as you don't use any of the facilities - car parks, visitor center etc. This is posted quite high up in the car park. Having national trust membership my family saved about £20 to walk through the shop and onto the causeway.

I found a very non descript, never visit again campsite very close to the causeway. Maddybenny's near Portrush was much nicer, you can ride horses and get close to chickens, ducks and peacocks.

In Donegal I discovered that it was a mistake to drive to the end of the Doolin Hostel/ campsite downhill muddy track with no turning point. The reversing uphill around bends was good practice for slieve league where i met a hymer van with two more motor-homes behind coming down the hill. Whilst checking out the reverse options I met a lady who lived on the bend of the road, she told me how motorhome should not be going up to the car parks at slieve league and then gave me a bag of turf to take home. We stayed at a hostel near Teelin Bay, the owner was concerned about a fortcoming aire at slieve league and how it would effect his business.

I have been visiting Ireland for over 30 years but only discovered Howth Harbour thanks to this forum. The sun was out and it looked and felt like France. Top place.
Ireland seems to be drawing in more overseas tourists especially in the North. I thought about visiting later in the season next time but was told that even in October many of the more remote pubs and campsites would be closed, such a shame.
Well thanks for all of the brilliant advice which made our trip a lot easier to work out.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.