August visit to Ireland staying mostly north (geographically)

Aires, wild camping, cool sites for children

neil
Subject:

August visit to Ireland staying mostly north (geographically)

· 
Posted: 24.07.2015  ·  #1
I have booked my ferry for Ireland ( I miss the days when you could just arrive, pay, get on). I am trying to find some child friendly sites, I am more interested in nice small sites rather that 5 star sites with club houses etc. I have a rough route planned out arrive Dublin, drive to Virginia, Cavan then north to Omagh for supplies and the Ulster museum. I would like to stay somewhere near the causeway and Carrick a Reede Rope Bridge and then plan to drive west towards Belmullet hoping to catch the beach racing. From there we will stay west and make our way back to a one night stop near dublin harbour.

I would love to get any advice regarding child friendly sites, beaches and places to visit.
I am intersted in the wild camping map, is this included in the 1 year subscription. Prices seem to be listed as sterling?
Lastly can someone please let me know if there is a Irish version of UK postcodes for sat navs?

Thanks a million neil

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

Re: August visit to Ireland staying mostly north (geographically)

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #2
Welcome aboard Neil, hope you have a great stay in the North.

Omagh, I've done very little travelling in/around. you mention the ulster museum (I take it you mean the ulster/American folk park?) is that's your thing then there are a couple of other ulster/American things too. check out the Andrew Jackson cottage , Carrickfergus (also has the GI museum to the rear) and the folk end of the folk and transport museum outside Belfast.

I rate carrickarede better than the causeway itself, but could get lynched for saying that. Some of the glen forest parks a maybe worth a visit if you're round that way.

I have put links up to a couple of beach wild camps in/around Donegal. full reports when you join up, but check out silver strand and muckross/mucros on google earth. these might be further down than you want to go. if you do end up down there slieve league is unmissable, even if you only drive to the top car park and don't go any further.

howth harbour is probably the best camping near Dublin harbour. Don't go near Bull island (beach nearer to the port), it's a nogo with regard to camping, too much theft risk and visitors during the night expecting to share your bed!!

enjoy your stay. someone will be along with more info then me shortly

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #3
Hi Neil, hope you enjoy tour trip. If you're a member of the Caravan club, you could definately use a CL about 2 miles from the Causeway, MR AND MRS B McCURDY
Feigh Farm
157 Feigh Road
Dunseverick
Bushmills
BT57 8AF
There is a campsite in Gortin Glen, a couple of miles from the Ulster American FP. This is child friendly with loads of room to let off steam.
http://www.omagh.gov.uk/cultur…php?id=107
That should get you started.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Post code eircode

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #4
In the ROI they have just introduced Eircodes but I'm not sure if many SATNAV systems have them yet.
Best to get GPS Coordinates.
Enjoy your travels.

tony2phones
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW LT46 exLWB
Base Vehicle: former School bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #5
Eircodes are fine if you have the map https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ but are pretty useless for location without it.
The first part sorts the central post area (can be huge) the second part the property (no correlation) the closest full(ish) code to ours is many miles away, so whilst a UK post code will put you on a street. The Eircode will delay our mail and make sure every Irish house is fixed on a government data base

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #6
Having come from port Isaac in Cornwall with a Plymouth (Devon) postcode that covered a large area I like the eircode which is house/property specific I like eircodes especially when satnavs get them.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #7
NI postcodes can be used in sat navs ROI postcodes cant ,ENJOY your trip :happy: :happy:

neil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2015  ·  #8
Thanks for advice so far.
I have been across Carick a rede many years ago but only made it to the car park of the causeway hence my desire to visit. I like going to places mentioned in Van Morrisson songs but most of them are too far east and for another trip. I believe it is the Ulster Folk museum that the wife wants to go to for a camping night which will involve leaving the luxury of our van to once again sleep under canvas. As I only have less that a week to read up and check maps before leaving, is joining worthwhile. Is this the forum with the wild camping map? Is Rathlin Island possible to visit? One other thought, is scuba diving, I would like to do a dive can anyone recommend a dive company Donegal or around that area where I can hire all equipment and dive? Thanks

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2015  ·  #9
Quote by neil

I have been across Carick a rede many years ago but only made it to the car park of the causeway hence my desire to visit. I like going to places mentioned in Van Morrisson songs but most of them are too far east and for another trip. I believe it is the Ulster Folk museum that the wife wants to go to for a camping night which will involve leaving the luxury of our van to once again sleep under canvas. As I only have less that a week to read up and check maps before leaving, is joining worthwhile. Is this the forum with the wild camping map? Is Rathlin Island possible to visit? One other thought, is scuba diving, I would like to do a dive can anyone recommend a dive company Donegal or around that area where I can hire all equipment and dive? Thanks

all the WW2 Nazi subs were sunk at the mouth of lough Swilly, there's bound to be someone professionally diving on them regularly. tripadvisor or google?

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2015  ·  #10
Hi Neil, hope you enjoy your trip even though you are missing out the Sunny South East, Wexford. Forget about Eircodes, they're rubbish. You would be far better off using Loc8 codes, a system that works and has been in daily use for a number of years. Tom Tom, Garmin and others support Loc8. Check it out.
http://www.myloc8ion.com/

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2015  ·  #11
i would cross over on magilligan ferry as lots of better places to go ,national park eirigal centre etc and cheep fuel to boot.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2015  ·  #12
You can visit rathlin Island but only on foot or bicycle.

Yes we have the wild camping map.

With the giants causeway unless you are a national trust member there can be issues parking there, as well as the cost of walking through a building, my advice is, if visiting it then either walk around or over it as the causeway itself is free, it's the visitor centre which costs a fortune for very little content.

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2015  ·  #13
Quote by neil

One other thought, is scuba diving, I would like to do a dive can anyone recommend a dive company Donegal or around that area where I can hire all equipment and dive? Thanks

http://www.mevaghdiving.com/ Located in Carrigart Co. Donegal,Just beside the Atlantic Drive and the Singing Pub

neil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2015  ·  #14
Thanks again for local advice, we do have national trust membership, so may visit the causeway and rope bridge to make uses of the membership I am also sure my young lads will be impressed by the causeway. It will complete the Finn Mc whats his name story. I parked at the causeway on my vespa about 20 years ago and didn't want to risk getting by bags knicked so missed seeing the actual causeway. I now have to seen those big stones. I have never heard of McGilligans ferry, looks interesting.
Having read earlier post about Howth harbour being a better choice for Dublin that Bull Island, on the map they look quite close, I have read that Howth is pretty dead on as they say in the north.

I have found a couple of sites on Achill Island Keel Sandybanks and Lavelle's Caravan and Camping park, the later of which looks nicer. Does anyone have experience of these sites. They look like the beach is walking distance from the camp site which is always a massive bonus.

BAZ 25
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: BURSTNER810I ELEGANCE TAG/AXEL
Base Vehicle: FIAT 3.OLTR AUTO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2015  ·  #15
Hello Neil,used to use Sandybanks when in Achill good site for children
stones throw from the beach,always wild it now when in Achill some nice
spots water and toilets available if you know where to look.Make sure you visit
Keem Bay in my opinion nicest beach in Ireland just keep driving straight on the
R319 till it stops toilets and various car parks to park in.Also small car park and Beach
In Dooagh before Keem Bay with Gieltys shop another stones throw away stay here
Myself.Site is worth while joining information you'll get will be very helpful.My own
Mob num is 07718031333 glad to ans a txt or call to give you a steer on your trip thanks
Barry

jonny.i
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 FML
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducatto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2015  ·  #16
neil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2015  ·  #17
Thanks Barry Achill Island, Belmullet and WestPort area now seems like a good option. My new plan is to arrive in Dublin, drive to Cavan, have a pint with the cousins, head north fill the fridge with sterling priced beer and wine and head over to Achill Island area. I have been there but probably whizzed around it on the motorbike in a day. I have also noticed that we will be very close to Croag Patrick, is that a daft option with boys ages 8 and 10. I have read that the path becomes a slippy loose slate scramble, do you know if this is still the case? I have been reading a very very old pre war guide book.

BAZ 25
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: BURSTNER810I ELEGANCE TAG/AXEL
Base Vehicle: FIAT 3.OLTR AUTO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2015  ·  #18
Been about 5 years or so since climbed Croagh myself many' a young child passed me on my
Ascent and Decent some without footwear braver than me,does get loose under foot on the
last climb to the summit if you take your time and stop and rest with children you should be
okay Visitors center at foot of Croagh give you more info than me or someone more local.Small
Site near Croagh on main W'Port Louisburgh road think just after Visitors Centre I think looks good
to me don't think would be high in the star ratings if still open ?Belmullet and surrounding Area have
Some nice beaches one in particular a new favourite of mine a friend and member on here told me
about.Croagh was one of my Bucketlist to do's glad I did.

notathome
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2015  ·  #19
No problem to kids at all, did it a few years ago with my then almost 8yo. Like a little mountain goat he was, me that suffered. Weather is a big factor!!!! It was a lovely day, no rain, and gets colder as you go up! Solid shoes or runners needed.

North Coast Cruiser
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2015  ·  #20
Try Ballyness Caravan Park, Bushmills ok it is 5*. Do visit the Hedges Armoy and Ballintoy Harbour where the Game of Thrones was filmed. For the area check out visitcausewaycoastandglen.com. Do remamber the Portrush Air Show Air Waves Portrush 5 & 6 September 12 - 5.30pm Reds on both days

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.