Posted: 21.03.2012  ·  #1
Hi, any RV"s out there ? :up:

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

RV's

· 
Posted: 21.03.2012  ·  #2
I have a Four Winds Hurricane, I know several others as well, unsure if they use this site though.

irishrver
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: Irish RV"S

· 
Posted: 22.03.2012  ·  #3
I also have a Fourwinds Hurricane 30f down here in Cork and a buddy has one in Droheda

macman
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2012  ·  #4
Hi,

First time posting for me, I also have a Chevrolet R Vision Trail-lite, we have been out a few times this year but getting her ready for the season.

Macman

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

RV

· 
Posted: 23.03.2012  ·  #5
Hello, I have an RV also. It is a 93 model Gulfstream Sun Voyager which I bought a year ago and have restored to original glory. Have learned a fair bit about these A class RV's now and may be able to help anyone with a problem,just :up: put up query on this site. Anyhow we have about 600 miles clocked up this year already and hope to be on the rd every weekend.We do mostly music festivals as we play a bit.By the way we have had the rv converted to run on recycled veg oil which is now showing a good saving and definitely takes the pain out of calling at the filling station.We have also changed half our light bulbs to led and done away with the on board generator in favour of solar panels, changes which we reccommend to any motorhomers. Maybe we will see you somewhere along the way. Will put up some pictures ,call in if you see us !

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #6
Nice looking RV! not sure I could without the genny yet though, our 5.5 Kva genny tripped out last wekend there was so much on at once.

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

kilowatts

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #7
Yeah I know everyones needs are different. We still got plenty of ac power from an inverter if we want it, 1500watts. The sun panels recharge the batteries by dinner time next day.We have a 2.5kw portable inverter genny which is v quiet if we need it. So far we have not used it.Anyhow I like the idea of free electric and no noise.Now, where to go this weekend, hmm ? :whistle:

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #8
Dont get me wrong, we use an inverter most of the time, but just shows how power consumption can creep up.Nice to see other RV users on the Motorhome craic

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2012  ·  #9
Nice to see a few of us RV"ers this side of the water. We"ve a Gulfstream also Nomad, it"s the second RV for us and , so far , no, or at least, minimal probs :'( ! Just had a rather nifty spare tyre carrier made and have booked our summer trip to France, 3 sites and counting ...! We"re going to have to join the "solar power" guys soon with the weather the way it"s been :-) !

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2012  ·  #10
Hello PaulH nice to hear from you. Which model Gulfstream have you got. Think I might have seen another post where you talk lpg. put your photos on here, maybe we can meet up sometime you in the west.Trip to France sounds nice,we are thinking of going also , I checked ferry details but seem to differ each time I check. The prices seem to jump up in July for return leg. I find solar is perfect , we have 440 amp hours of storage and 140 watts of panels. This can cope with all except the microwave. We have to hook up a small genny for this but we have only used it once this year so far. For normal lighting and tv etc. it copes fine ,never ran out of power yet.You know that even on a dull day the panels are still charging,so you dont need constant good weather.cheers ( give us a call if you coming west at all.)

nelly.hartley

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2012  ·  #11
Anyone not interested in cheap RV insurance? Yup, I know cheap sometimes means the service is pathetic but actually I recently discovered that if you join the AARP, their discounted rates can make you a decent deal on RV insurance…affordable and reliable, just the way I like it.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2012  ·  #12
The imcc have a members insurance run by Stuarts. I have just renewed the RV insurance at £324 I used to use dolmen but they were more expensive for RV's something about the engine, stupid really as everything over 3.5 tonne is restricted on normal roads no matter about the engine.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2012  ·  #13
Sorry to get back to the forum so late, really busy and we"ve got "the builders in" :'( We have Gulfstream Independance Nomad, before that, a National Dolphin. The Gulfstream is more modern tho" the National was of a better build quality and I"m in awe of the V10 as opposed to the V8 Vortec of the National, I do miss the V8 noise though...! :D .

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2012  ·  #14
Hi Paul

Might have met you.
Do you go to Castleward with 3 other vans and do a bit of mountaining biking?

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2012  ·  #15
Hi Mark, sorry not us. We used to go to Castleward when we were "Tuggers", and my son is keen on throwing himself down stupidly steep trails..! :o We"ve only had this RV in NI for a few months as it used to reside at the family farm in England, and we would have taken it to shows and visited France from there. It"s going to be interesting using it here and seeing just where we can "fit" ,though, as usual, we can go almost anywhere with a little planning.:lol:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2012  ·  #16
No worries. My mistake.

I have replied to your PM

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

irish rv's

· 
Posted: 27.04.2012  ·  #17
All righy Paul, know what you mean driving an RV in Ireland but you do get used to it ok. We found the addition of a kerb mirror to be very useful, got rid of that blind spot. Uor one is 8'4'' wide but we have had no problems.Happy Camping and maybe we will meet you somewhere through the year.I wonder how many other rv's are out there, we dont meet many on the road.cheers Nomad1

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2012  ·  #18
:D Hi Nomad1 / all, were at Kilbeggan last weekend and found absolutely no probs. at all with driving "down" there , although a slight hiccup in that the gas fitting for my lpg (engine) was the wrong fitting >_< . I"ve a couple for mainland Europe but, they seem to use the same fitting as forklift/plant tanks, luckily another guy with a Dodge Ram arrived and I was able to borrow his :up: Saw a couple of RVs at the show, one was a Gulfstream Sunvoyager rear pusher, tried to find the owner to no avail. If you have an interest in or have a US vehicle/ RV it"s definately a show to go to. The Craic was good , the weather fine and the welcome was warm and some of the cars/trucks were spectacular ! I"ll be there next year for sure.

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

Irish RV'S

· 
Posted: 06.05.2012  ·  #19
All right! I was looking at that but I understood it was cancelled. Sounds like a good one for next year. A Sunvoyager pusher , that would be same as our one, not many in Ireland . I only know of one other, in Frenchpark I think. Glad you enjoyed it. Your camper seems to have a short range per tankful,ever think of fitting extra tanks. Had a friend once with a Winnebago that could hold the equivalent of 3000 ltres. He used to fill it at a friends chicken house ,seemed to be cheaper.He used to travel to France and back without a refill. anyhow happy camping! :up:

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2012  ·  #20
Hi Nomad1, 3000l, :'( I wish...... When she was converted they had to halve the petrol tank to fit the twin 100l tanks inbetween the rear chassis legs so, I think, space is very limited on ours. I"ve been wondering whether I can link the habitation tank to the chassis tanks, that"d give us another 100l.... Maybe there are safety reasons why not,or someone would have already done it, maybe they have... Cheers :up:

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

Irish RV'S

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #21
Hi Paul, Thats a pity, if there is no room then I guess you will have to bear with it.Dont know about the habitation tank but a connection with a stop valve on it couldn't be too dangerous.Best regards, Nomad

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2012  ·  #22
Yeah,

another yank tank here... A 1980 Coachmen leprechaun on a GMC chassis.

I've recently undertaken the task of overhauling our family camper with plans to bring it back to its former glory!

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2012  ·  #23
:-) Hi Blag,a classic RV, nice one. We"ll have to get an RV meet sometime for all of us over here, maybe she"ll be ready for Kilbeggan Show ? All the best. :up:

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

RV meet

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #24
Thats an idea, hows about having a meet for american rv,s at next years Kilbeggan americana show. anybody interested ?

Nomad

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2012  ·  #25
Sounds like a good plan, I"m up for it :up: When the date gets a bit closer I could call the guys at The Midwest American Car club and ask if it"s ok, I"d just need some idea of numbers. :-)

irishrver
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2012  ·  #26
Sounds like a plan any :D remind again closer to the date hardly know with the kids what is on next week let alone next year 🇧🇭

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2012  ·  #27
Quote by irishrver

Sounds like a plan any :D remind again closer to the date hardly know with the kids what is on next week let alone next year 🇧🇭

Know what you mean !! It was a nightmare coming back from a month in France, took 2 weeks to get back to the normal , stressed out self...! :up: Last time it took place in May so I"ll see what"s happenning next spring.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2012  ·  #28

:D

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2012  ·  #29
Great history - good luck with the resto.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2012  ·  #30
8-)

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2012  ·  #31
:D Oh yeeees....... now that"s the sound of a real engine..!! :up: It"ll sound soooo much better under a load too.. The RV we had before this one had the 8.1 Chevy Vortec engine, it was worth going through tunnels just for a listen ! Keep up the good work mate, I"d love to see her when you"re done. With regard to petrol v"s. diesel personally I"d keep the petrol and change to LPG , at least the option is there to go for 78p per litre as opposed being commited to deisel at £1.40+...... It"s something we thought long and hard about, and, it"s too late when prices have risen even further, if you can only run on the dear stuff :'( When we pay 78p for lpg it actually means that our RV at 30ft long,with 3 slides and weighing 8.5 ton is doing about 22mpg, not bad really when compared to Euro motorhomes.

margies

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2012  ·  #32
Quote by Nomad1

Hello, I have an RV also. It is a 93 model Gulfstream Sun Voyager which I bought a year ago and have restored to original glory. Have learned a fair bit about these A class RV's now and may be able to help anyone with a problem,just :up: put up query on this site. Anyhow we have about 600 miles clocked up this year already and hope to be on the rd every weekend.We do mostly music festivals as we play a bit.By the way we have had the rv converted to run on recycled veg oil which is now showing a good saving and definitely takes the pain out of calling at the filling station.We have also changed half our light bulbs to led and done away with the on board generator in favour of solar panels, changes which we reccommend to any motorhomers. Maybe we will see you somewhere along the way. Will put up some pictures ,call in if you see us !

That RV looks gorgeous! It looked that you are really taking care of that baby of yours!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2012  ·  #33
be careful of using veg oil it can cause problems in fuel pumps but im sure you have done your research on it happy camping
with a 32 yr old van can this be run as a vintage vehicle ?

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2012  ·  #34
Thanks for kind comment, just washed it today and she looks as good as ever. Done 5000 miles this year and no problems. It is 19 years old now so not quite vintage yet.I might qualify though!regards,

Nomad.

shaggy
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2013  ·  #35
shaggy
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2013  ·  #36
I have some parts for sale but I'm guessing I have to be on here a while before posting in the for sale section.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2013  ·  #37
Nice one ! :up:

igbrowne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #38
Quote by PaulH

Hi, any RV"s out there ? :up:

Hi there we have a Gulfstream 38ft with twin slide outs, have it over a year now but dont get out enought,as we are quite new to all this where are the best places to go for her size

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #39
where are you based (county is enough) as we wouldnt want to tell you to park on your own street :lol:

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2014  ·  #40
Welcome to the forum mate. I like Kilbroney and a couple of others, but, like you, we don't get out as much as we'd like( work etc). I swear, one day I'd love an Irish RV meet :) . Off to France on Sat. 4 weeks mmm... :)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.