2011 Thor Windsport 32a

Silversurfer1
Subject:

2011 Thor Windsport 32a

· 
Posted: 12.08.2014  ·  #1
Hi everyone,
Thinking of buying a 2011 Thor Windsport 32a and wonder do you have any advice re things to look out for, questions to ask etc

Many thanks

Bobs
Subject:

Re: 2011 Thor Windsport 32a

· 
Posted: 13.08.2014  ·  #2
Hi
Glad to answer this one as we have a 2011 Windsport, having got it March this year. Its been one hell of a learning curve but have loved every minute of it !
Its long at 10 m and not all sites will take you, also need to think if you are away for more than 6 days, where you going to dump wc/black waste, again not so many sites have full MH servicing .
We found grey water holding tank is a little small but we get used to it and needs dumpng every few days .
Only major problems we have found is the main slide out. If we are not totally level it will get stuck out which is a night mare ! We practice on the jacks - a lot !
Overal the quality of build internally is good and have not come across too many issues.
Ours is still petrol and can hit the wallet in a big way on fill up - and I do mean BIG. A weekend run for us from Nass to Dumnore East, Waterford and back will use €140 in fuel, but we will be converting to LPG next month before we take off to Southern Europe in early spring, so hopefully it wont be such an issue.
If you want to view ours before you commit, you are more than welcome to at Naas for tea and a chat.
Hope some of this helps.

Bob

Silversurfer1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2014  ·  #3
Bob thanks a million for your reply. Just sent you a PM.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2014  ·  #4
WOW thats an expensive week end on fuel. We Donegal folk could never cope with that.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2014  ·  #5
Once you're on LPG you'll never look back, however, you'll constantly seek stations that sell it! I reckon I spent around £500 on our 4 week holiday in France, doing about 1400 miles. LPG is so easy to get over there and access is so much better. Good luck with your windsport.

Bobs
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2014  ·  #6
Hi Paul, like the sound of those numbers !

What size tank have you got fitted?

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2014  ·  #7
Hi Bobs, we've 2x90 litre tanks and the £to€ exchange rate helped :) Do you level before using your slide? You shouldn't have problems if you level first then retract the jacks after you retract the slide. If so, maybe your slide out mechanism needs some adjustment.

Bobs
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2014  ·  #8
Hi Paul

guess thats giving you 300 miles plus which sounds OK.

On the slides, yep we have jacks down and level before we dare push out or bring in. It just needs to be a tad out front to back it and it appears it twists and one of the motors trips out. You may be right in that it could do with adjusting. Certainly going to get it checked out in the UK dealer before we head off to Spain next year!

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2014  ·  #9
I reckon we can go about 260 to 280 miles on a fill, of course, that depends on the weather as atmospheric pressure can effect how much you get into the tanks. We had ours done from new in England, they did a bad job and we'd lots of trouble, luckily I had it put right by guys in Portadown, cost me, but worth the peace of mind. Spain is my ultimate destination, having done France 7 times, we aim to go down for the winter in a couple of years.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2014  ·  #10
Winter in Spain along the Med is the best time to go motorhoming there as the summer is so hot, it's the time when you see all the Motorhomes.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2014  ·  #11
Couldn't agree more, I know the Costa del Sol well and July and August in a motorhome would be hard going, even with air conditioning, and we've two of them on the roof! I've read of some lovely sites around the Alicante area that many people spend winter in, they have very good facilities and offer long term rates I believe. From the sites I've seen in the Malaga / Fuengirola / Marbella area, the sites look a bit grotty, I guess land is worth too much around those parts to be used as a sites. Maybe up in the hills they have them, but I prefer to be on the coast. Where are you going Bobs?

Bobs
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2014  ·  #12
We are hoping to get away sometime in January for around 4 months and not sure where we will end up! But expect to park up for 4 - 6 weeks at each location and use toad to travel around. From the quotes we have in' expecting to be around the €14 day for long stay.
Agree Paul, finding quality sites below Alicante is proving difficult - have a number in Costa Blanca, been in www.vilanovapark.com/index.php near Barcelona which is great site
also www.marjalcostablanca.com/en/accomodations/parcelas/ which a number of RV 's over winter on the large pitches.
If anyone on here can recommend decent sites beyond Malaga please shout

Had 'Silversurfer1' - Mary and Sean up here yesterday to look over our Windsport. Tried our best to put them off from buying one, but looks like Ireland will have new RV coming over this weekend !
All the best guys, have fun with the drive back :-)

Silversurfer1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2014  ·  #13
Bob, if only you could have put us off the idea!! The least you could have done was try and talk us out of it - not that that was ever going to happen once we saw your magnificent Windsport :D
Went to bed dreaming of it last night - what a beauty :up:
You both were so good to show us around and answer our million questions - such hospitality which we very much appreciated.
Hopefully all goes well and you might have a twin :D :D

Will keep you posted on progress

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2014  ·  #14
Quote by Silversurfer1

Bob, if only you could have put us off the idea!! The least you could have done was try and talk us out of it - not that that was ever going to happen once we saw your magnificent Windsport :D
Went to bed dreaming of it last night - what a beauty :up:
You both were so good to show us around and answer our million questions - such hospitality which we very much appreciated.
Hopefully all goes well and you might have a twin :D :D

Will keep you posted on progress

Did you buy it?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2014  ·  #15
There are some lovely sites running along the coast from south of Cambrills running down towards Valencia. Not as far south as Malaga but gets the same sort of weather and more importantly they remain open all year.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2014  ·  #16
Your plans sound good Bob, if only I could get away I'd do something similar, but self employment is a bugger sometimes. Ah well, hope to (semi) retire in 4/5years so that's something to aim for. You mention a Toad, be careful in Spain as they don't like them and are keen to get you to help their economic recovery :(

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.