newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel

· 
Posted: 09.02.2012  ·  #1
Additives for diesel (and petrol) engines have been available for years and you will hear arguments for and against. I heard about adding some 2 stroke to diesel when filling up and read about it here.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

I have a 1998 2.5 td Ducato and I decided to give it a try about three years ago. After a few weeks it seemed to make a difference to the engine, quieter and seemed to have a bit more power. I have been adding it ever since to every fill. Engine has 100k miles up now and seems to be going better than ever !
Have a read and make up your own mind !

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel

· 
Posted: 09.02.2012  ·  #2
Very interesting, think I will give that a go. I used to use Cooking Oil in our Volkswagen years ago with a touch of Motor oil, we sold the van with 170,000 miles on it and the only thing we ever replaced was the injectors.

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2012  ·  #3
I dont see how 2stroke oil would help a diesel and given the price of it it would not be a cheap additive even if it did work.

I have heard reports about adding acetone (tiny amounts like 1 teaspoon per gallon) helps with atomising the fuel giving more MPG and lower emissions.

But if its so brilliant why dont the oil companies add it?

I am very wary about putting stuff in my fuel oil companies spend fortunes developing a fuel blend and if adding a few drops of acetone to each litre improved any quality of the fuel and an sure that they would not only do it but shout about the fact!!

All that said I used to run an old Peugeot 305 (XUD 7 engine) and ran it on just about anything I could find that was cheap, red diesel, green diesel, laundered diesel straint heating oil any thing and it never even murmured a complaint!
Now my van has a XUD 9 engine and I treat it like royalty!

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2012  ·  #4
I have been known to add a Gal of petrol to my 14 yr old diesel car every 6mts or so. Its supposed to clean the gunk out of the injectors and pump.

:-|

daithi

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2012  ·  #5
I add 500ml of low ash 2 stroke (halfords, 4 quid) to a full tank of diesel every couple of months. There is a definite reduction in the amount of noise from the engine. Not to sure if it helps with fuel consumption though. I drive a vw t5 1.9tdi and get about 700-800km from a tank (80lts)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.