Blog with a three legged dog

Hunters big adventure - here we go again!

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Blog with a three legged dog

· 
Posted: 08.07.2014  ·  #1
The time has arrived, the one week countdown is on ... WE ARE GOING TO ITALY!
Last year we visited France & Spain & we enjoyed sharing our story with you all along the way. I have to say I read over it again a few weeks ago & it reminded me of lots of wee funny things I had forgotten! It showed me how important it is to keep a log of all the antics!

Since then we have met lots of you & can now put a face to your name. In our case most of you will know that the Hunters come as a package - Bryan (the boss), Jill (the one who does all this typing lark), Ella (6, the real boss) & our 3 legged Bischon, Polly. Polly travels everywhere with us in the van. On a Thursday night if she sees me packing the MH up to go away for the weekend she is often found sitting on the front passenger seat. It's the only time she can 'jump' any height! You see a 3 legged dog lives a life of luxury ... being lifted down off the sofa & carried up & down steps etc. however she can miraculously jump into our MH via the side door, not even needing the step to be out!!

Last year, our first year with a MH & our first big European adventure, we didn't even consider the possibility of bringing Polly with us. She stayed with my parents & because Polly missed us so much they had to bring her home to our house in the evenings. So this year it wasn't hard deciding to bring her with us!

At this stage with just under a week to go what would you have done or be planning to do in the next day or 2!?! I have to say we are feeling much more chilled this year about the whole adventure! which might not be a good thing!!!

Jill

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

Re: Blog with a three legged dog

· 
Posted: 08.07.2014  ·  #2
Jill,

Chill bring the passports, hubby, child, dog ad credit card and have a ball!
Keep us informed of the antics as you go!
Hope you have a great time!!!

Siobhan, Paul, Faye and Penny.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2014  ·  #3
Hope you all have a great time, look forward to reading your exploits :)

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2014  ·  #4
Ally, you can tell Julie I went to the doctor and got tablets for going on the boat! I seriously HATE boats! I am going to take the tablets & something to wash it down with & go to the cabin & SLEEP. 18 hours on a boat ... I am chanting 'it will be worth it, it will be worth it'

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2014  ·  #5
Quote by Hunters

Ally, you can tell Julie I went to the doctor and got tablets for going on the boat! I seriously HATE boats! I am going to take the tablets & something to wash it down with & go to the cabin & SLEEP. 18 hours on a boat ... I am chanting 'it will be worth it, it will be worth it'

Breath and remember it will be worth it when you get there Jill. :up:
Sleep in the park! :sleep:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #6
Newbies
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #7
Have a ball guys, so jealous, love Italy. Enjoy the ice cream :D

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #8
I hope to have a great time.
There will be lots of new things to experience along the way.

Take plenty of notes as I maybe asking you questions about Italy in the future. LOL

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #9
Quote by the fat controller

Long range forecast is for force 10gales

Is that bad? It sounds bad!!
I might double the dose of tablets!!!

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #10
Take plenty of notes as I maybe asking you questions about Italy in the future. LOL
[/quote]

Have a notebook of important points started already!!
That's the olde teacher in me!!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #11
you need to watch films to keep your mind off the boat journey, things like the Poseidon Adventure, Titanic, The perfect Storm should help!

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #12

Long range forecast is for force 10gales

NO FC very calm calm calm.... =)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #13
Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #14
Have a great time.Hunters, but as Fc says prepare for the big waves before you go and when you come back. :D :D :D

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #15
Now now guys, if you had a fear of Boats you would know how upsetting that could be.

I nearly had Julie on a boat a while ago until someone wound her up, now she refuses point blank :(

:-)

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #16
Thanks Ally! I suspect this will be the one & only time he gets me to go via Rosslare but we'll see how things go.
I appreciate your support!!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

Now now guys, if you had a fear of Boats you would know how upsetting that could be.

I nearly had Julie on a boat a while ago until someone wound her up, now she refuses point blank :(

:-)

That park attendant at the pickie pool is a bugger with rules about his peddlows

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2014  ·  #18
Have a good time and enjoy the trip, the boat was bad for me because of the time of year being more prone to storms, I am however not taking the boat to Rosslare but doing a land bridge to Calais as it's two short crossings rather than one long one by boat.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2014  ·  #19

That park attendant at the pickie pool is a bugger with rules about his peddlows

:lol:

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2014  ·  #20

Have a good time and enjoy the trip, the boat was bad for me because of the time of year being more prone to storms, I am however not taking the boat to Rosslare but doing a land bridge to Calais as it's two short crossings rather than one long one by boat.

Yes that was how we crossed last year but he hood winked me into believing this will be fine ... only time will tell!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2014  ·  #21
mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2014  ·  #22
Enjoy the trip hunters :up:

Will be following your progress,

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2014  ·  #23
Camper is packed.
House is cleaned (you don't want to return to a dirty house!!).
The dog got washed & all her fur shaved off on Friday (she is freezing!).
All our other pets have been farmed out to be looked after (budgie, hens, hamster, guinea pig & Giant African snails).
We leave the house at 9 (it'll probably end up more like 10) in the morning ...

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2014  ·  #24
Safe and enjoyable trip folks.

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2014  ·  #25
Enjoy your trip.We are sailing to France next tuesday with Stena and we might head for northern Italy,so will be following your blog with great interest.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2014  ·  #26
Grrrrrrr, Hi Polly from Bizz, what's it like to have no fur? I am having a great time in Ireland. My mummy & daddy Get me knackered every morning then they sit outside these places whEre people bring them food & I always fall asleep under tables, but when I wake up my daddy magics my puppy food & water from what he calls a man bag. Have a good time in Italeee!! See you later, Mr Bizz.

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2014  ·  #27
Have a great time all four of you! Will be reading about your trip with interest!

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2014  ·  #28
So we are in Italy!
What has happened so far I hear you shout...
THE DREADED BOAT IS OVER & it was fine (thank goodness!!)
We arrived in Rosslare on Tuesday well ahead of time, it took us about 4 hours with a break for lunch in Jack's Tavern.
We found a playpark to amuse Ella for an hour & boiled the kettle for a cuppa.
Have to say Rosslare was a bit sad looking (lots of places closed down etc) but it has a lovely beach. You can park down at the harbour & go for a walk.
I took my travel pills while waiting in the queue to board the boat, packed an overnight bag for us & Polly got her last walk on dry land for 18 hours!
Had absolutely no problems with our pet passport which we were relieved about as it's our first time bringing Polly with us to Europe.
That leads us on to the boat journey ...
We were parked at the front of the boat (so we were practically first off) & we went up & got our cabin key.
Polly stayed in the MH & we were allowed down to walk her at 10pm & again at 10am.
The cabin was basic but clean with a sheet, blanket, pillow & towel for each person.
We got our tea (€30 for a family) & went to bed. We all slept until 9am the next morning! In reality we only had another 6 hrs to go!! & the crossing was calm enough, there were a few rocky bits during the night but nothing that would annoy you lying down.
Bryan & Ella went to the on-board cinema to view Malificent (at a cost of €10) & I went to see the dog.
I had packed rolls etc for breakfast in a picnic hamper so that would see us ok till lunch.
Polly was sound asleep, I took her for a quick walk to stretch her three legs & then headed back up to our cabin.
I have to say the boat is much smaller than I expected but in the end the experience of going over to France has been fine. The jury is out until I get home again!
We had lunch (€30 family deal again) before heading back to the MH to disembark. We arrived at 3.30pm exactly :)
The boat is over us - hip hip hooray!!

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2014  ·  #29
So far so good now told you it would be okay!
It seems like a very long time for poor Polly to be left alone were you not allowed to see her in between those times? :o
Anyway enjoy ow that you are back on dry land and keep us informed.
:up:

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2014  ·  #30
:( I agree 12 hours was a long time but thankfully we got a dog that prefers to sleep while we travel so she was fine. If you put your dog in on board kennels (free service) you can see them anytime but we decided Polly would be happier in familiar surroundings of the van. It worked out ok.
Will update you all tomorrow on staying in our first French aire, the drive to Italy, putting up our safari room (for the 1st time) & how cool my camper is working ... going to bed so next instalment tomorrow!!

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2014  ·  #31
Bryan is away to find the shop so I'll tell you about our first stop in La Suze Sur Sarthe, just south of Le Mans. We decided to drive about 3 hours after getting off the boat & had picked the Le Mans area before leaving home. The aire was well signposted once you entered the village so found it very easily. Absolutely beautiful location for our first stop, we parked along the river, there were 10 other MHs (all French) & the gentleman beside us was very helpful & showed us what to do (we didn't even ask!). It was €5 for the night with electric readily available (you need a long cable) & water too.
We had our tea sitting at a picnic bench & of course Ella skipped about entertaining the others as only Ella can!
We had a short walk into the village to enjoy an ice cream & as Bryan says it would be rude not to have a beer!
Bryan was always the reluctant one to try the aires & nicknamed the aires book 'the car park book' when it arrived a few months ago. However, after a positive first experience I think we're on a winner! The accompanying map of all the aires makes it easy to pick one near the location you are heading. We have about a week on the way home in France & we'll be using the aires book again.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2014  ·  #32
Drive down through France took 10 hours with 2 one hour breaks. We left just before 6am & so arrived in Italy at teatime.
We used the Mont Blanc tunnel, expensive at just less than €60 but an experience we wanted to do. We used a lot of toll roads & I'm afraid to add them all up! I would estimate about €80 and we used a full tank of fuel.
The scenery is out of this world, it seems strange to be looking up at mountain tops with snow & be sitting in 30oC + temperatures.

Our campsite is in Vallee D'Aosta, just on the border into Italy.
The views are amazing, we have parked up & enjoyed a few quiet days on site.
There is no pool but you can use the pool at the hotel just down the road, we went yesterday. It's a small pool all the one depth (1.2m) & the roof can retract back.

Massive thunder storm here this avo, the lightning hit the ground on the mountain behind us & started a fire!
Quite spectacular to watch but glad we weren't in the house just in front of it!
It was put out very quickly.

As soon as we arrived at the campsite Bryan started to put up the new safari room, I have read mixed reviews on this set up but nothing would do but we would have to get one at the end of last season ...
I have to say in our case it has been a real asset to our set up, particularly with the dog with us this year.
Polly can sit in the shade in this extra room & she is definitely enjoying doing that!
It does leave us not able to up sticks too quickly but then we do tend to put down roots for a few days & explore on bikes & public transport. The actual van is much less cluttered & stays cleaner as we're not going in & out of it as often.
The actual constructing took about an hour (Bryan did a trial run before we left home) and sure it was great entertainment for all the French, Dutch & Italians to watch us! There were no arguments & I did not break anything that Bryan couldn't fix ... I will say no more on this topic.

Cool my camper is also a new purchase for our summer trip this year. Last year the heat in the van in Spain nearly had us going up in smoke! So far so good, the van cools to a very comfortable temperature & we have no problem sleeping.
We did experience a flood this morning (well the floors got an unexpected wash! Have to look on the positive side!), Bryan found a little stopper on the floor & wasn't sure where it should go... We now know the location!
The system is supposed to freeze the moisture taken out of the air & then you release the stopper and it drains away, our stopper wasn't in place to start with. Disaster averted & water dried up, lesson learnt!
I have never been in a van with air conditioning to compare the temps but so far so good our system is keeping us cool.

Rain is over, BBQ lit, steaks ready to go on ... that's you all up to date for now!

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2014  ·  #33
Sounds like there's a good time being had by all,

Keep us posted :up:

Looking forward to the next episode already :lol:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2014  ·  #34
:D Are you on a non stop tour of Europe?

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2014  ·  #35
We'll take a different country every year & go for it!!
Have to say the only downside so far are the mosquitoes here, the locals say they are the worst in years & I have to say they are vicious.
I'm usually the only one to get bites but this year we all have them.
Bryan went to the chemist yesterday & the pharmacist said he'd never been so busy selling repellent ... >_< >_<

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2014  ·  #36
The other thing!! Ella is most annoyed that NOBODY will wave back in their MH!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2014  ·  #37
Quote by Hunters

We'll take a different country every year & go for it!!
... >_< >_<

It could get tricky around year Twenty. :D

Menary
Subject:

first entry

· 
Posted: 20.07.2014  ·  #38
Hope all is going well. We have all just caught up with your journey so far.
Just back from a sunny week at the north coast. Tell Ella to keep trying for a wave :up:

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2014  ·  #39
Sounds like you are all having a great trip! Agree with Menary keep trying for the wave Ella with that irresistible smile you will have them all converted in no time. Penny sends regards to Polly. Keep posting!

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2014  ·  #40
Quote by Hunters

Cool my camper is also a new purchase for our summer trip this year. Last year the heat in the van in Spain nearly had us going up in smoke! So far so good, the van cools to a very comfortable temperature & we have no problem sleeping.

Always fancied one of those, but I am never hooked up so not much good I suppose.

http://www.coolmycamper.com/

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.