Importing 1995 Hymer C46 from Germany to Ireland

Spailpin Fanach
Craic'er
Homepage: bharr.com
My Motorhome: 1989 VW T25 1.6TD JX Westfalia California poptop with 5 gears.
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Importing 1995 Hymer C46 from Germany to Ireland

· 
Posted: 20.06.2014  ·  #1
Hi

I have just bought a 1995 Hymer C46 from Germany: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hymer-E…AQ:DE:1123. I used eBay because of their Payment Protection. I going over on Wednesday to collect and arranging paperwork before I go.

Would appreciate any advice or info links from others who have done this especially the paperwork I will need to legally drive through Germany, France, UK and Ireland. Haven't decided yet what route home I will take.

Also appreciated would be some info on insurance, both temp for trip home and permanent when here in Dublin.

Any idea how much VRT will cost. I notice from Revenue website that it is 13.3% of value. Is this total or is there an emission component as well?

Thanks again.

Brian

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Importing 1995 Hymer C46 from Germany to Ireland

· 
Posted: 20.06.2014  ·  #2
I think from various other discussions that the VRT element is not necessarily what you paid for the vehicle but what the Revenue decide what its worth.

You will need at a minimum third party insurance to legally drive on the roads throughout Europe, as well as being taxed and tested. This is a bit of a problem as you are importing so I don't have a definitive answer for you

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2014  ·  #3
Perhaps you might know someone in the motor trade industry and get the issue of Trade plates and associated insurance to bring it back?
I think documentation for import etc are not necessary until you are resident in that country for a period of time and when re-registering you will need bill of sale, log books and to inform the government.
Get on the WWW and search as i was going down this route to get a Hymer from Heidelberg when i spied Hessy and got her. I was going to take the Amsterdam / Newcastle Ferry then over to Stranraer which I thought more direct to Belfast.

Good Luck with it, and dint forget to fill all space in the back with a load of wheat beer :up: and keep us posted :up:

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2014  ·  #4
I imported 2 vans a few years ago,its quite complicated,as far as i remember you have to get a temp no plate to drive it, as the no plate stays with owner, i bought them from a dealer and he brought me to the town hall to get a temp no plate,i cant remember the cost and he did all the talking and form filling for me.That was in 2010 it may have changed since then.

The revenue here will put its own value on it,look at the revenue web site to see what standers it must meet,you will have to get it weighed also,maybe somebody has done it recently,and might be of more help.
Good luck with it :up:

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2014  ·  #5
Quote by Hessy Hymer

Perhaps you might know someone in the motor trade industry and get the issue of Trade plates and posted :up:

I have a trade plate myself but it only covers me here,

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2014  ·  #6
Quote by the fat controller

I think from various other discussions that the VRT element is not necessarily what you paid for the vehicle but what the Revenue decide it is worth.

That's correct John!

Brian you would want to make sure that Revenue don't assess the value on the newer model which was also available in 1995 and I presume it would be more valuable. My neighbour paid €14,500 for one last year.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2014  ·  #7
When I was bringing mine over from the uk I tried to insure via dolmens, as they then give you 28 days to re register it. But if the MH is over 10 or 15 years old I would have had to have got it inspected by a SIMI approved garage, they don't exist in Germany or the Uk.
So I insured it in England and then swapped on arrival after the DOE and import procedures.
It might be worth ringing a few insurance companies and see what they can do for you.
German registered vehicles with no tax in the UK won't be a problem as long as the insurance is still valid with no car tax.
Good luck

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2014  ·  #8
I imported a Citroen Mehari from France 2 years ago and never again. It was a night mare to import it into the Uk and still the paper work is not right.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.