Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

Ducato Wheel Bearings

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #1
Good Morning Craicers
Hessy requries a new wheel bearing :( and I am requiring assistance with your experience and excellent knowledge in repairing her and getting the MOT. :happy:

The bearings have been sourced from France and on the way :happy: , I bought a Hub as well - however the Fiat garage informed me yesterday that it is the bearing which is shot and they would have difficulty getting all parts, due to the vehicle being 23 years young. :(

I have got assistance/loan off a set of hydraulic spreader pullers which should be capable of the job, but i have never tackled such a job before and i am slightly dubious - hence my thread.

I intend to replace both sides as i am sure that the other one is soon due the same attention, but one at at time and if i mess it up first time, i have a spare set of bearings as back up.

I have read of the world web that the spiltting of the hub from knuckle is a bit of bother and the placement of the bearing is v important :-| ??

Is there a depth / tolerance for the bearings on the hub? Could i mark a line/measure where the old one was placed and put it back there or is it more exact?

Also - Hessy has a 16 inch wheel differing from the standard 15 inch - Does the hub change or are they the same? As only 1/2 inch increase in radius - i am thinking that they would be the same?

Any assistance/pointers / mechanical knowledge extremely welcome. :-) :up:
And for back up - Any mechanics who have experience in a Fiat Ducato 290 Chassis. :up:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Ducato Wheel Bearings

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #2
Beyond me, for that I go to experts and have no hesitation in recommending J&F Trucks at mallusk as they do all our commercial vehicles, vans and lorries so can deal with all sizes.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #3
The HUB would be the same, been a long time since I changed a bearing, a very long time :)

Do these help............

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #4
If you search "changing wheel bearing ducato" on youtube.com there are quite a few video's for different models.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #5
Sorry I can't help with this.
As John has said, might be better taking to the guys who do his work. My concern about tacking a job like that at home is if you can't finish is yourself you can't move the van either.

You sound like you know what you are doing so maybe you will be fine.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #6
There's always shelbourne motors

Tristan @ PHM
Craic Addict
Homepage: PatHoranMotors.com…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #7
I've done a helluva lot of them , mostly on 03-06s ,the 95-02 is all but identical . So I imagine the 290 is similar too ? The bearing seats against an end , and is located with a circlip , so no measuring needed . The biggest problem is actually pushing the old one out , I have a big old hydro press from farm machinery days , and I still only just about manage. I often have to break up the bearing cage and remove the rollers , push out the centre , then heat and press outthe outer. Never failed yet , mind.

Jack , prop , etc , remove wheel , track rod end , caliper and carrier , disc , bottom balljoint , driveshaft from hub , and the 4 bolts holding suspension strut to hub.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2014  ·  #8
Thanks Tristan - I have the fears expressed by Mark and seen the vids from Ebay (Thanks Ally :up: )- i love the new machinery, clean bearings and as with the vids, sooooooooooo Easy! :lol: :lol:

J&F Trucks i dont think will entertain Hessy as i think i went b4 and they put me to Donnellys who can do it - but require a whack of £££ for the trouble. Thanks FC - but i (fingers crossed :'( ) will have a go :-)

Sure - when i have the heap off her - i can try it myself and if all fails - bring it in with a hat in hand >_< for someone else to mend. :'(

But i will stay positive and give it a go.

Tristan - might i ask what was the tonnage of the old press please? And as i am replacing the bearing - (and perhaps hub) - if i take the retaining circlip out and hit the ball race with a cutting blade :bandit: - it should come away ok? :(

Thanks all again :up: :up: :up:

Tristan @ PHM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2014  ·  #9
I don't honestl;y know , it's about as old as Noah , Ithink he used it to press in the pivot for the rudder on the Ark....
yep , a snig of a disc , I use the thin discs designed for stainless steel. Actuallu on a 290 , you won't need a balljoint breaker , IIRC , the track rod end is on an arm bolted tothe upright with 2 pf the 4 bolts holding the damper to the hub. and the bottom balljoint is bolted to the hub with 4 bolts.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2014  ·  #10
Thanks A Million Tristan,
yes the trackrod ends are as described and might it be best to remove these four bolts instead of the single ball bolt which is a nylon lock and at 450 or thereabout torque?
I try to attach a photo showing the state of it - I note the salt over the winter taking care of rusted shafts - sort that too when done :happy:

What grease should i use in the rebuild?
Copper Grease in all bolt screws also?

Thanks again :up:

Hessys Leg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw3h….54.22.jpg

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2014  ·  #11
Don't the grease usually come with the Rubber Booth? I think I would use locktite instead of grease on the bolts in case they loosened

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2014  ·  #12
Yes there is grease in the boot pack :up:

Locktite for the thread joints might be best - :-|

Thanks Chausson :up:

Tristan @ PHM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2014  ·  #13
I always use a dab of copper grease , and tighten them properly , and never have them loosen on me. I'd be wary of studlock there , that and rust after a few years would make them very hard to open again! The only place FIAT use studlock on in the hub area is on the bolts holding on the caliper carrier.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #14
Excellent information Tristan - thanks and owe you a pint or two. :up:

Heres hoping the bits arrive for the weekend :-|
Although for all the wear and tear a 10 mile a day that Hessy is getting on a knackered bearing shouldn't do much harm to the CV Joint or area.

The CV Boot grease only started leaking about 1 month ago - not long after i got the Toe In sorted 20/3/14 and less than 600 mile done and that was the side which was off. If it was leaking then - the chap in Donnelly's garage would have brought it to my attention - i'm sure :up:

8-) So it appears that the bearing failure caused the Toe in which in effect balded two tyres and there was never and unusual or excessive noise or any other signs of issue being apparent (Grease leak ect) :'(

Therein begs a question O-) - So the toe in adjustments used to compensate for the failed bearing may require "un-adjusted" again or we might have excessive wear on the outside edge of the tyres? :o

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #15
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #16
Quote by the fat controller

I would get the alignment checked once its all back in place, just in case.

Definitely.

Boxerman
Craic'er
Homepage: rtmr.org
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #17
There are two types of front wheel bearings, one type is the single, wide bearing shown earlier, the other type is two taper rollers seperated by a spacer. The spacer is supposed to be selected from various lengths to adjust the free play in the bearings. If fact, the spacers aren't often available, I adjusted mine by means of an oilstone. Make sure you have the correct parts before dismantling anything.

There is a website http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/pages/index.jsp where you can look up part nos etc.. for Peugeots, there is a similar one for Citroen and I'm sure that there must be one for Fiat. They are all basically the same van.

Frank

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #18
Yes Waterman - you are correct. Hessy has the double bearing arrangement and the bits arrive tomorrow :happy:
The spacer is supposed to be selected from various lengths to adjust the free play in the bearings

The Spacers surely would be the same as those taken out unless it is a "shim" you are referring to between the roller bearing casing and that of the bearing housing. I hopefully shall not require any shims - but i will get a wee bit just in case.
If it is a tubular spacer to bulk out against the circlip = i wouldnt know and would appreciate being enlightened. if you could???

Yes there is a Website - Fait ER ot thereabouts that allows you to go into your chosen vehicle and get the part numbers and go wild on the wWW trying to get best value for supply.
They are great and currently Germany are the cheapest for all parts - used to be Portugal - but Germany now tops
Thanks for all help/assistance, greatly needed and great to read all viewpoints / pointers :up: :up: :up: :up:

Boxerman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #19
Quote by Hessy Hymer

The Spacers surely would be the same as those taken out unless it is a "shim" you are referring to between the roller bearing casing and that of the bearing housing.

No, it's a short tube and yes, theoretically it should be the same length but "the book" says that you select the correct spacer to give the required end float. I doubt that it ever gets done in a real world garage.

I hopefully shall not require any shims - but i will get a wee bit just in case.
If it is a tubular spacer to bulk out against the circlip = i wouldnt know and would appreciate being enlightened. if you could???

No circlips on my Boxer, it's the single bearing type that has the circlip AFAIK

Yes there is a Website - Fait ER ot thereabouts that allows you to go into your chosen vehicle and get the part numbers and go wild on the wWW trying to get best value for supply.

Do you know about this site?
http://www.findpart.org
Type your part number in and it will try to cross match it with other manufacturers.
Hope it goes well, that nut is bl**dy tight!

Rgds
Frank

Boxerman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2014  ·  #20
I knew there was something about that nut!
The Pug parts database gives the nut as the wrong size ( 28x 150x17.5) so some aftermarket kits come with this size of nut but it's too large, it slips over the threads.

The Pug part No is 331817 and although the database says it is the size above, it is actually smaller.
Check that the nut in your kit is the correct size before you remove the old one.

HTH
Frank

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2014  ·  #21
Great advice Frank - Thanks :up:

I bought two nuts separately with a hub just in-case they were required. I also got a CV Joint - but going to return it.
With the bearing kits - there are nuts supplied, but there are extras now and worst case scenario - i use the one i took off >_<

Wonder is it a left hand screw or right hand? - Extra nuts allow the thread to be determined before you ring the head off it :lol:

The site is http://eper.fiatforum.com/ - but it will check the one you suggested for further purchases and replacement parts :up:
Thanks all :up:

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2014  ·  #22
Jeepers - How easy is it to get a 41mm socket 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭

Kennedy&Morrison, Engineering Supplies, Motorfactors, Girvan,Motorspares, Europarts, Halfords. B&Q, - Drove round them all to no avail 🇧🇭 :( 🇧🇭 :( :'(

. Fyfes - Lurgan & Ballymena :happy: , Dunmurry :( No 🇧🇭
~Tractormatic 🇧🇭 No 🇧🇭 (Fabulous name btw, fabulous shop too :up: :up: :up: )

Back Home empty handed :( 🇧🇭 :(

World wide shop - No problem :up: Here on Monday - No Wheel Bearing removal this weekend :(

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2014  ·  #23
At least you got it and probably a lot cheaper than if they had it.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2014  ·  #24
Good Evening All Criacers ^_^
While awaiting the 41mm socket to arrive - i noted that 2 nuts were missing of the bearing puller set (Which i have never used before :'( ) - so ordered these from an engineering suppliers to be here by Friday :happy:

And going through sites for other bearing sets suitable for Hessy - another one is shown as for use - at a higher price - no picture - so anyway i order and if not correct - can return. Much better that being stuck with her leg in the air and having to await delivery from France :'(

So it arrived :-) TOTALLY DIFFERENT :o = Different size, bearing arrangement and a lock nut :o
WHAT >_< BONKERS :lol: Must be for the back axle and teh site have it wrongly identified :-|
Check tomorrow :-)

So all aspects are covered now - ^_^ Await the 41mm Socket

Ok here is a photo of her new bits - [img][/img]

{Ordered new Struts, Strut Dust Protectors and Strut Bearings = IN TRANSIT :up: }
They might get stuck on when im in there :up: :up:
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Boxerman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2014  ·  #25
Be careful with those strut springs. The normal DIY spring compressors have a tendancy to slip round and release the spring! Mine are so-called heavy duty ones with twin claws at the top but they still slip.
I used three luggage ratchet straps to compress mine last time I replaced the top mount bearing.
Not that I am recommending this method - just saying that's how I did it.

Frank

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2014  ·  #26
Thanks Boxerman - I see on the WWW that they are wrestling items with v dangerous consequences if uncontrolled :-) Great Idea and engineering :up:
The Struts arrived yesterday from Germany - original, never used/installed and in spanking new condition. Shop Soiled - So they were lavished in Hammerite Smooth Black Paint last night and second coat on this morning. Fully hardened paint by Fridays install -

For 30 Euro each :o :up: :bash: o.O :P :whistle: :fgrin:
Plus Postage :thx:
Closest Rival here is a £109 Monroe Shock >_< { each - SHOCKER}

Strut Bearings to arrive today and hopefully the drastic 41mm socket :ninja:
Tomorrow or the following day will do too. No rush postie except MOT rerun on Thursday next.

Anyone know who is great in Belfast for setting lights please? :bash:

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2014  ·  #27
Hope it goes well, that nut is bl**dy tight!

Jeepers Frank - >_< Aint Half :o >_<

I used a upsizer from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch drive for the mega 41mm nut - O-)
Stuct a cross bar on it and a 2 metre pipe ^_^

Lift ^_^ Lift
Cross Bar 1 tjavascript:void(0);urns into a banana bar :lol: >_< :'(

Ok - try another German T bar - banana again :'(

That is a tough nut. 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭

Searching for a 3/4 inch breaker bar local to Belfast :o :o :o :o
HELP :lol:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2014  ·  #28
Heat the nut and a good belt of a lump hammer to shock it and that should do it :up:

Boxerman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2014  ·  #29
You have some spare nuts, do you have a Dremel or similar? if so, cut a slot in one of the nut's flats, not quite all the way down to the threads, but almost, that should take the sting out of it. Especially if you drive a wedge in to split the nut off.

If you've no Dremel, a line of small holes, say 1/8" as close together as possible should help. Mind the threads on the shaft though!

Frank

Boxerman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2014  ·  #30
Quote by mad max

Heat the nut and a good belt of a lump hammer to shock it and that should do it :up:

Might also damage the driveshaft! :o

Frank

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2014  ·  #31
Good Morning and thanks for these solutions.

I have spare nuts :D :D :D :D - Never said that before :lol:

Got Dremmel and destruction of the old nut underway after coffee. :up:

Dunno why i like to preserve these things =) But this is the sensible solution :up:
Thanks Frank and Mad Max for the support and advice. :up: Motorhome Criac is great :up: :up:
Keep you posted :up:

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #32
Good Morning Craicers O-)
[img][/img]

Drilled each flat and I beamed a huge smile when it shifted :D
Stripped it all out, 10 ton press did the job although a vice would be v handy.

13 hours later and
[img][/img] :D

I took heaps of pictures throughout and when the bllod blister >_< on my thumb :up: (That one - yes) goes down :sick: , Blinking blind lump hammer :lol: thought it was a shifter bar :lol: :'(
I will post a "How to Remove Wheel Bearing" Post 8-)

The other one shouldnt take as long as i have an idea whats going on. After that one - New Shocks for front and Thereafter Rear Bearings and Struts :-)

Thanks for all your essential contributions :up: :up: :up: Outch :up:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #33
Before you tackle the other ine bring it to a truck tyre shop and get the lads to use air gun to loosen 42mm whilst your foot is firmly on the brake pedal, then just re tighten with your own tbar and put split pin back in until you get it home/work shop, then it should be easily opened an hour later or so :up: :up: not a blister in sight :up: :up: :-) :-)

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #34
:up: :up: :up: :up: top tip there Mad Max :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #35
Quote by Chevy g20

:up: :up: :up: :up: top tip there Mad Max :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

As jack would say I didn't come up the Lagan in a banana boat :lol: :lol:

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #36
Thanks Mad Max - great idea and saves a heap of hassle :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #37
Ah mad max you have got some of my brains now too?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #38
I got a few of your saying anyway jack :D

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2014  ·  #39
Document for replacing wheel bearings, sent by Fergal (Hessy Hymer)
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.