Data Roaming for UK

Tesco Mobile Customer visiting UK for a couple of weeks.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

Data Roaming for UK

· 
Posted: 27.04.2014  ·  #1
Hi Folks,

We will be visiting Scotland and the Lake District for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on getting a mobile data connection while we're away.

I know there is always McDonalds but there wont always be one when you might need a connection. I'm currently on a Tesco Mobile account but as far as I can find out I would still be paying a roaming rate in the UK.

I do have an old Netbook and an unlocked 3G dongle. That means that I would have the option to buy a UK SIM and use it in the dongle if that can be done. What I am not sure about is; if it is possible to walk in to a shop; buy one and then just go online.

Can anyone through any light on any of these options or indeed a more sensible alternative if you have one.

Thanks for any help.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Data Roaming for UK

· 
Posted: 27.04.2014  ·  #2
I have in the past (as recently as 2 months ago) bought sims and used them. cant remember having to give name and address.

These have been for pay as you go phone and text, not used them for data.

I believe '3' sims cover several different countries at a standard tarrif, (UK and Ireland included) although I am not sure about data.

They are also not the most popular in terms of coverage, although I have no personal knowledge.

Tesco (UK) are serviced by O2

Hope this starts the ball rolling.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2014  ·  #3
Quote by TeamRienza

They are also not the most popular in terms of coverage, although I have no personal knowledge.

I hear that all the time but usually from people in GB. Three for me in Ireland North and South have been amazing, have never been without good speed data and a great phone signal and even in places I thought there was no chance I would have signal.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2014  ·  #4
Thanks for those replies folks. I think I'll just drop in to a Three outlet and try to pick up a data sim for the Broadband dongle. I think I read somewhere that Tesco have a preferential rate for roaming calls in the UK so I'll just leave the phone running without roaming.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2014  ·  #5
Hi
You will have very little problem getting free wifi in England and wales but been a long time since I went to Scotland
Most pubs coffee shops fast food outlets motorway services etc now have free wifi
My sons experience is that 3 is not that great in uk and on his recommendation I recently switched to Orange who seem to have the best coverage in the uk.
You don't say if you are staying on sites most do now have wifi and although not always free don't normally cost too much.
Me I usually head for pub Witherspoon s are great or subway for coffee to catch up if not on a site with wifi.
Funny thing is I use a tesco sim in Ireland as it is the best for phoning home so I guess the other way round for you
David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2014  ·  #6
The 3 sim works north and south and allows roaming without the charges, their data coverage here in Ireland again north and south is good. Orange have reasonable coverage but not as good as 3. As always each network offers different things in different areas.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2014  ·  #7
Just an update on the the above.

We ended up buying a 3 Mobile Data only SIM. It cost £10.50 for 1GB of data. I put it in the dongle and it all worked a dream.

As we are still touring the Lake District (in the rain) I am using it to make this posting.

Thanks again for the help.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2014  ·  #8
Good show.

Enjoy your trip (even if it is a little wet)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.