Vet. In France

dinjoe
Subject:

Vet. In France

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #1
Could anyone recommend a vet in or around Cherbourg port We'll be travelling home at the end of May and need to have the dog wormed and ticked within a certain period before sailing. The cheaper the better Thanks

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Vet. In France

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #2
Hi Dennis,
I usually take vodka to kill my worms,
The continental dog loving enthusiasts may take time to get back to you because of the big craic meet at Howth this weekend but I'm sure you will get an answer soon, that's the benefit of this forum.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #3
Do it away from Cherbourg as they charge a fortune. Go to one roughly a day away from the port.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #4
I am sure an Irish vet would give you what you need ( for the Dog :D ) before you go out and you could worm him yourself.

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #5
I aways get that over the counter at the vets shop and you could too and take it with you. :up:

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #6
Dinjoe

I have used Clinique Veterinaire Ryst Richard, 7 Quai Du General Collins - 50100 Cherbourg
Tel 0233204032

Dr Bruno Ryst & Dr Olivier Richard are here & english speaking. We always try to arrive in Cherbourg 1/2 days before sailing to have the dog injected and to allow for any mishaps on the way back to port. We usually stay in Anse Du Brick campsite about 10 mins drive from vets which is very nice & well managed who accept ASCI card.

As regards cost I think about 60euro for both injections. The vets surgery is in the centre of Cherbourg on the quay & easy to find with ample free parking about 3 mins walk.

Hope this is of some use

Brian

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #7
It's only one tablet which is required if everything else is up to date, you have to have the dog wormed a min of 24 hours and if I recall correctly a max of 72. We got it done in Spain before we set off for the boat as we knew we would be there inside the time and the cost was 3 euro

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #8
Quote by the fat controller

you have to have the dog wormed a min of 24 hours and if I recall correctly a max of 72.

Why??
Is this some EEC regulation?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #9
Short answer is yes, it's a certain type of worming and once you go outside the time frame you must start again. It must be that the drugs are only effective for that time frame.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #10
I would look at the pet passport to see what our dog had done but as she died late last year it would be too upsetting to do so, if I can find it on the internet I will post a link.

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2014  ·  #11
This is taken directly from Dept of Agriculture & Food website
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Rabies vaccination:
The date of the primary rabies vaccination must not precede the date of identification. This primary vaccination (i.e. first vaccination following identification) must have been administered at least 21 days before arrival in Ireland.

The rabies vaccine must be compliant with the requirements of Regulation (EC) 998/2003 - your veterinary practitioner will advise.

The 21 day period does not apply to revaccinations/booster vaccinations, provided there has been no break in vaccination history. If there has been a break in vaccination, the booster vaccination is considered the primary vaccination and a period of 21 days must have passed since its administration.

Whether the most recent rabies vaccination has been a primary or booster vaccine, it must still be within its 'valid until' date as indicated in the passport.

Vaccination details on the Passport must include name of vaccine, vaccination date and valid until date. Details must be endorsed by a veterinarian by signature and stamp.
Tick & tapeworm treatments:
Echinococcus (tapeworm) treatment applies only to dogs - dogs must be treated not more than 120 hours (5 days) and not less than 24 hours (1 day) prior to scheduled arrival time in Ireland. No Echinococcus treatment is required for dogs travelling directly from another Echinococcus free country - i.e. the Uk, Malta, Finland and Noway.

This tapeworm is not dangerous for the dogs themselves, but can cause serious illness in humans.

Echinococcus treatment details in the passport/certificate must include name, date, and time of treatment. Details must be endorsed by a veterinarian by signature and stamp.

Note - while treatment against ticks is no longer a compulsory requirement, travellers are advised, on animal and human health grounds, to avail of tick treatment for their dogs when getting the tapeworm treatment.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2014  ·  #12
Thanks for all this info as it is very useful to us as well.

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2014  ·  #13
All the regs regarding PetTravel are outlined on Dept of Agriculture & Food website (don't know how to create a link) Staff are very helpful if the need arises to make a telephone enquiry also

It is my understanding that the dog has to be certified 'fit to travel' by a vet and injected.
Ferry staff / officials always took more interest in the dog + passport + stamps etc than they appear to in the passengers. Maybe our dog is better looking & more interesting!!!

Im sure there are probably vets less expensive than others but if anybody is aware of a '3euro' solution to the regulations to include stamps & certification etc the details of such would be appreciated and the spare cash could be spent on more bottles of vino to take us through the long winter months at home !!!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2014  ·  #14
We had the tablet issued by the vet and the passport stamped and signed, he even put the tablet in the dog and we were charged 3 euro, he said we didn't require the tick treatment as she had received that recently, which was around 3 months before we went. I couldn't believe how cheap as I have heard the 60euro charges from others who got it done in Cherbourg. Ours was done in Spain and once at the port apart from being searched for stow always the dog has checked for the micro chip and passport examined for everything and hey presto we were on the boat.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.