Tyre pressure

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Tyre pressure

· 
Posted: 05.03.2014  ·  #1
Checked my tyre pressure today there was 60psi all round the tyre is stamped for 80 psi would 80 psi leave the van to solid it is an adria on a renault master

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Tyre pressure

· 
Posted: 05.03.2014  ·  #2
What does the van and MH manual state?

Both my mnauals state 79 PSI so I tried that but had to reduce to 70 on the front, was creating to many rattles and bangs and wearing the middle of the tyre on the front.

Liked by: Con910, sprinter

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Tyre pressure

· 
Posted: 05.03.2014  ·  #3
Book recommends 80 psi but that would be ok for motorways some of the roads I intend using over the west would be hard on the van with that kind of pressure

bigfoot bair
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 680 starline
Base Vehicle: 2.7 Mercedes 150 bhp
Subject:

tyre presure

· 
Posted: 05.03.2014  ·  #4
HI all had to reduce the presure all around onthe hymer was afraid the windscreen would fall out on bad roads ,they get a little warm after long journey .I tried blowing them up but no good eyeballs falling out.Had to reduce the presure again, back ones ok they are twins on each side.
they take the waight better .

Liked by: Con910

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2014  ·  #5
I go for the halfway house as I have read that the recommended is 80 (knaus on renault master) but also read 65 as a recommended, I find the steering and handling just that bit more responsive at 70psi

jadatis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2014  ·  #6
Registered to this forum to react here.
Live in Holland and once got hold of the formula that the tyre- and car-makers use to determine pressure for a sertain load, and the reversed one is used to make pressure/loadcapacity lists you sometimes find.
Went running with it and learned myself Excell to make spreadsheets for it, and translated a few to English to go worldwide with it.
Got much to know about tyres an tyre-pressure in time.
Even constructed my own universal formula from wich this official can be made but also an alternative one I found of an american IR J.C.Daws.
I now use that formula with the power and construction load I think is best, and takes care that the deflection of tyre stays the same over the whole range , wich is also the goal of all calculatations.
Wont introduce myself in a seperate topic here, dont have a camper anymore and only will react on tyre-pressure and tyres.

Now my reaction.
I can calculate the needed pressure with my made Motorhome-calculator, but need some data from you.
This is MPAW abd MPVW ( Max permissable axle/vehicle weight) or real weighed loads.
from tyres the maximum load or loadindex and pressure needed for that/maxloadpressure/reference-pressure Pr wich is not the maximum pressure of tyre.
In Europe 80 psi is seldom used, so I suspect its a special camper tyre wich states max80 psi on sidewall but is realy a D-load/8PR tyre with Pr of 65 psi or 70 psi and the 10 psi extra is to cover peak loads a Michelin answered me once.
So first you have to determine that.
If you see on sidewall "maximum load xxxx kg AT yyy PSI ( cold) " then the yyy is the Pr and not the Pmax.

I estimate that your tyres need front that 4 bar/60 psi but rear 80 psi is needed because rear is often overloaded for campers and even weightdifference R/L wich makes weight on one tire go over sometimes maximum load of tyre.
With that then no bumping but maximum reserve .

I wont give a picture or link in my first post , because most fora dont allow that.
Greatings from Holland
( Ja dat is ) Peter ( Yeah thats Peter, from a dutch name song of the 1960's stil sometimes refered to)

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

Tyre pressure

· 
Posted: 06.03.2014  ·  #7
Thanks all I will go for 65psi front and 75psi rear on which will be my first trip and see how it goes

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2014  ·  #8
I put Hankooks on my Ducato X230 rated 3200kg. Gave Hankook my axle limits and they recommended 52 front, 54 rear. Tyre max is 65 psi. Handles fine wrt tyres.

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2014  ·  #9
I use Michilin Agilis camper tyres and
Inflate to
Front 59psi
Rear 80 psi

Those pressures were advised by Michilin UK bases on axel weights I gave them

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2014  ·  #10
Quote by jadatis

Registered to this forum to react here.
Live in Holland and once got hold of the formula that the tyre- and car-makers use to determine pressure for a sertain load, and the reversed one is used to make pressure/loadcapacity lists you sometimes find.
Went running with it and learned myself Excell to make spreadsheets for it, and translated a few to English to go worldwide with it.
Got much to know about tyres an tyre-pressure in time.
Even constructed my own universal formula from wich this official can be made but also an alternative one I found of an american IR J.C.Daws.
I now use that formula with the power and construction load I think is best, and takes care that the deflection of tyre stays the same over the whole range , wich is also the goal of all calculatations.
Wont introduce myself in a seperate topic here, dont have a camper anymore and only will react on tyre-pressure and tyres.

Now my reaction.
I can calculate the needed pressure with my made Motorhome-calculator, but need some data from you.
This is MPAW abd MPVW ( Max permissable axle/vehicle weight) or real weighed loads.
from tyres the maximum load or loadindex and pressure needed for that/maxloadpressure/reference-pressure Pr wich is not the maximum pressure of tyre.
In Europe 80 psi is seldom used, so I suspect its a special camper tyre wich states max80 psi on sidewall but is realy a D-load/8PR tyre with Pr of 65 psi or 70 psi and the 10 psi extra is to cover peak loads a Michelin answered me once.
So first you have to determine that.
If you see on sidewall "maximum load xxxx kg AT yyy PSI ( cold) " then the yyy is the Pr and not the Pmax.

I estimate that your tyres need front that 4 bar/60 psi but rear 80 psi is needed because rear is often overloaded for campers and even weightdifference R/L wich makes weight on one tire go over sometimes maximum load of tyre.
With that then no bumping but maximum reserve .

I wont give a picture or link in my first post , because most fora dont allow that.
Greatings from Holland
( Ja dat is ) Peter ( Yeah thats Peter, from a dutch name song of the 1960's stil sometimes refered to)

Thanks for all that,

When on the motorways in Connemara there's a bit of trial and error needed ;-) otherwise you will be visiting the dentist on your trip home

I think you will need to adjust the pressure to suite the roads most travelled and then find the happy medium,

jadatis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2014  ·  #11
What the formula calculates is the lowest save pressure for the loads on the tyre.
By taking a reserve to the assumed load, as I do in my spreadsheets, it gives a reserve for things like, pressure loss in time, unequall loading R/L per axle wich can even be crossed between the axles, incidental extra load or loadshifting, misreadings of weight- and pressure-scales, etc.

So the advice I give is already good for every kind of hard road.
For off road can be lower , but dont know the yustification for that yet.
One thing is the lower speed off-road wich allows more deflection of tyre.

I will try to give a picture now and the link to my motorhome-tyre-pressure-calculator map on my One-drive ( former Skydrive) that belongs to my hotmail.com adress with same username as in this forum.
motorhome-tyre-pressure-calculator

To use a spreadsheet , first download it to your computer by RIGHTCLICKING and then choose DOWNLOAD from the dropdownbox. Dont use leftclick or open in Excell or WEB-app when rightclicked, goes wrong or to complicated.
After download and eventual virus-check , open in Excell-programm on your computer, but Open Office CALC can handle it too.

Here a picture I used as example in other forum with all the parts used.

So give the information and I will give a picture back in my answer, or try it yourselfes.

Con910
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner T680 2005
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Gee whiz!

· 
Posted: 23.10.2022  ·  #12
Yet again I'm impressed with the generosity of this forum and respondants. I'm going to study replies in detail with a clear hand...no beer in hand! Very grateful to all...GRM {Go Raibh Míle (Maith Agaibh)} A thousand Thanks! :up:

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.