heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

How much for the ferry

· 
Posted: 22.02.2014  ·  #1
Thought you may be interested on the following which I have pasted from another forum that I belong to

swampy..........why are you fussing over channel fees................just turn up at the terminal in dover (or loon plage france for DFDS or calais for P/O and that other lot)........all 3 desks are just inside the terminal at dover. Just ask how cheaply they can get you across, and tell em you are not worried what time of day....suggest middle of the night if thats the cheapest they got. They start at £100 and you say you never paid that much before. So far I have not paid over £30 for a crossing. If its not cheap enough just wander down to the next desk. I know I got days to spare, but so far I have gone that very night every time. steve Bristol
Unquote

Don't think I would have the nerve and of course this may be total twaddle but it does make you wonder.

Has anybody tried this (this was supported on the site I nicked it from) or more important has anybody tried this between Ireland and UK

Interesting and maybe good saving to be had

David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: How much for the ferry

· 
Posted: 23.02.2014  ·  #2
At Dover you have the choice and competition of various operators, on the Irish Sea it's controlled primarily by one, Stenaline, with Dublin having Irish ferries also. Every other port has only one operator so it really wouldn't work.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2014  ·  #3
When crossing the Irish sea, you're pretty stuffed. Stena have a monopoly in the North and Irish ferries in the South, been crossing it the last 20 years and gets dearer every year.

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Ferries

· 
Posted: 02.03.2014  ·  #4
It's an interesting question..........has anyone out there just turned up at a port.......Larne, Belfast, Dublin, Rosslare.........and tried their luck at a cheap fare!!!!. Or ......are ye so used to letting our fingers do the walking and just hit the computer. =)
:sleep: ... :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #5
Boffo you'll not get any cheap ferries by just turning up I can tell you. They almost think of a figure and tell you. I turned up at Birkenhead a few months ago with the car I bought that morning and I paid over the odds and they said they were doing me a favour by getting me on. Discovered the ferry was half full or empty however you want to look at it.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #6
It's no different for freight traffic, we pay close to £300 return for a van and driver and that's a small van (berlingo size)

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #7
Two years ago paid £700 to get the RV and toad home, B"head to Belfast. One way, tho" we were about 40ft...... o.O

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #8
Well.......looks nothings gonna change soon. On talking to other motor homers on the continent it comes back to price all the time. I get sick on talking to the English who pay as little as 50/100 pounds for a crossing to the continent........and think they are being ripped off.

Am not going to start a rant and upset myself.........we all know we are being screwed for ferry crossings :(

But...............I console myself with the red/white/Rose/cider I bring back when I eventually save the outrageous price of the crossing. 8-)
:sleep: :up:

broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #9
I joined the camping and caravan club in the UK (live in Ireland at the moment) and you travel for the same price as a car on certain ferries - £41 a year to join but saved that on the first crossing i made.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #10
Can do that without joining a club with Stena.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2014  ·  #11
I saw this on another (inferior) forum offering cheaper rates to Ireland, not sure about to England but dont see why not.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2014  ·  #12
yip, urban myth. In my experience (one at calais and once at roscoff) turned up and got well fleeced!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.