Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Air Assist Suspension

· 
Posted: 06.01.2012  ·  #1
Hi All,

As the purchaser of a 1993 Talbot based Autotrail, can anyone give me advise? Rear suspension is low, I've been told this will sort the problem, however will it pass the new MOT inspections?

Thanks,

Bill

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Air Assist Suspension

· 
Posted: 06.01.2012  ·  #2
I'm sure LTS will be able to answer that one, but wondering would it not just be the case of fitting new springs to higher it again?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2012  ·  #3
Quote by Exbiker

Hi All,

As the purchaser of a 1993 Talbot based Autotrail, can anyone give me advise? Rear suspension is low, I've been told this will sort the problem, however will it pass the new MOT inspections?

Thanks,

Bill

Jacking up a sagging suspension with Air might only be camouflaging the over loading of the rear axle.
First thing to do is go to a weighbridge and check the weight on the axle against the plated weight, if it's over weight it will fail its roadworthiness test unless you unload some of the stuff on board.
If the weight is within the plated limit and the sagging is the result of tired springs replacing the springs might be the least expensive option.

Leisure Tech Solutions
Craic'er
Homepage: leisuretechnicalso…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2012  ·  #4
Hi Baguette

I know i have had enquiries for talbot parts in the past,, locating original springs could be the trouble,, altho new ones can be made up to correct the sagging of the old springs,

On the MOT they would be checking the the shock absorbers, and visually checking the suspension, with a sagging leaf spring the suspension would usually be resting on the bump stops and this would arise the road worthiness, by adding in air suspension this would correct the ride height and leave the bump stops clear of the springs,

I shall get your a price for the kit, if you can let me know the ages of the vehicle,, are the bump stops round or square, they are located above the springs / axle on the chassis,,

Simon

Exbiker
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2012  ·  #5
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response, I have checked the loading , therefore it is sagging springs.

Cheers,

Bill

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2012  ·  #6
Quote by Leisure Tech Solutions

Hi Baguette
.....................I shall get your a price for the kit, if you can let me know the ages of the vehicle,, are the bump stops round or square, they are located above the springs / axle on the chassis,,

Simon

Thanks for the helpful offer but I think we have wires crossed, I do not have a problem with springs, I was only putting in my tuppence worth for the benefit of Exbiker.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.