Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Roaming

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #1
Plan to switch to Three network in April when my contract was up as they now do not charge for roaming, where there is a Three network. I seem to be spending more and more time in Southern Ireland so it makes sense.

Thought I would have a look tonight as I thought the roaming charges for all networks would be scrapped in June 2014, it seems not! charges for incoming calls will be scrapped but roaming will not be done away with until 2016 according to these reports...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17539421

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24056369

Does anyone know any different? or know of any other networks going to bring it in sooner?

Off to Three I go.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Roaming

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #2
That explains why I got an excellent signal on 3 the last week end I was at Howth. Was almost afraid to use it in case I got a hefty bill but NO!. Have a contract with 3 for years for £5 pm for my iPad so I'm not complaining.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #3
I am looking at their SIM only deal for the phone on the One Plan, all you can eat data and of course free roaming for £15 a month - 2000 minutes - 5000 texts

Has anyone tried a One Plan Sim in a Mifi? I know not necessarily needed as I can tether the phone, but I could use it with the MiFi in the North until my o2 contract runs out in February, and also stick it in my mobile when in the South.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #4
Dont see why you cant use it in the mifi as its just a different looking phone. I have the PAYG sim from 3 in my mifi and have been using it as a test when driving about to see about coverage as I am so fed up with EE/Orange dropping signal and so far its been excellent having data connection where I would not have expected it. Angela used the mifi and Ipad watching short videos and looking at pictures online all the way to Limavady over the Glenshane and a lot of the time her phone had little or no signal.

Like Ally says its off to 3 I go

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #5
I have found the same, my Three Data Sim in the MiFi always seems to have a signal and a good one at that. But they do say that a MiFi is better at picking up 3g/4g than a mobile.

I don't need a new phone at present and the Sim Only deal looks very good and it's only a 12 month contract.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #6
The 3 Sim in my iPad worked perfectly at Howth without using a miFi even though Ive got one I didn't bother to use it when I saw I had got a good signal on the iPad with 3. Am I missing something with this MiFi business?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #7
No, if you didn't have a sim in your iPad then you could connect the ipad through the MiFi.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #8
Ah I've got it now. I'm a slow learner Ally. Then I didn't need to buy a MiFi after all as I can now use my iPad in France.m

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #9
Not really Jack, the mifi suits me as both Angela and I have Ipads without the sim feature yours has so it means that we can use the internet together. the only other way for us to connect was to tether one of the phones which resulted in a flat phone battery for one of us (guess who :lol:)

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #10
I agree John, EE is crap. I lose signal on a street by street basis round Bangor. I never had any problem when it was the old orange.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #11
My daughter got out of her EE/Orange contract earlier this year as she couldnt get a signal in Lurgan and when pushed they admitted that they had taken a number of masts off line across the North to work/concentrate on 4G signal. I have been with them now for over ten years but once the contract is up I am off.

As a side note the corporate department rang me at work to convince me to move our mobiles from O2, the conversation became very heated as he wouldnt listen to me telling him how bad the signal has become and he even offered me equipment to trial for free! He still didnt seem to understand that without a signal there is no point.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2014  ·  #12
Well you have to give him full marks for trying. Like the guy who contacted us about PVC windows and even thought we had just got them he tried to see me ones.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #13
Quote by jacktherev

Ah I've got it now. I'm a slow learner Ally. Then I didn't need to buy a MiFi after all as I can now use my iPad in France.m

Jack. Which network are you using in France?
Is it a French SIM card?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #14
Mark I am with 3 and only until recently I couldn't use it in the Sputh. Last time. At Howth I was able to use it not realising that Roaming Charges where lifted. That should mean I can do the same this year in France I would have thought?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #15
Quote by jacktherev

That should mean I can do the same this year in France I would have thought?

No, it is only where Three have their networks and they are not in France.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #16
The countries which 3 allow you to roam using your contract package are :-

Australia
Austria
Denmark
Hong Kong
Italy
Indonesia
Macau
Republic of Ireland
Sri Lanka
Sweden
USA.

All others will incur roaming charges

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #17
That's why I was asking.
I have a mifi now and thought you had a French sim for yours.

I knew there was no 3 in France.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #18
A french payg data sim will work in your mifi but for some it can be a problem getting it as like Spain you have to have an address in the country to buy things like that. I think Jack has gotten swept up with free roaming in the south that he thinks it will work everywhere, needs sorted now before an expensive mistake is made.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #19
French data sims available on fleabay.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #20
Yeah I've got a French Sim in my MiFi but will have to get used to using it then. Nothing's ever simple. Thought I had cracked it when it worked in a Dublin. 🇧🇭

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #21
I bought an Orange sim in france 2 years ago the sales lady used my name and her address without any problems or any questions asked. I explained I needed it for 2months and then home again.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #22
Quote by jacktherev

Yeah I've got a French Sim in my MiFi but will have to get used to using it then. Nothing's ever simple. Thought I had cracked it when it worked in a Dublin. 🇧🇭

You were using a French sim in Dublin?????

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #23
Nope Mark I was using the 3 Sim in my iPad that I use up here. The first I knew I was on the net and 3 IRL so I just continued to use it. No extra charge so that's why I thought I could use it in France.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #24
No probs Jack.

Gotcha!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #25
I bought an Orange sim in France 2 years ago the sales lady used my name and her address without any problems or any questions asked. I explained I needed it for 2months and then home again.

It must have been your good looks and charm that she did that for you, most mortals would have been sent away with nothing :lol:

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2014  ·  #26
Quote by the fat controller

I bought an Orange sim in France 2 years ago the sales lady used my name and her address without any problems or any questions asked. I explained I needed it for 2months and then home again.

It must have been your good looks and charm that she did that for you, most mortals would have been sent away with nothing :lol:

It was probably his winning wit and smile or else she felt sorry for him. :devil:

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #27
It wouldn't have worked only she was very good at speaking English, it certainly wasn't my French that won her over.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #28
I font know how you guys can do it. Just be worried the next time you are in France you might be lifted for a fraud form application. Just a thought as computers now a days can detect a lot. Lol

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #29
There are certainly some strange rules and customs on mainland Europe, I know from experience about Spain and some things we take for granted as being a simple thing to do becomes the most protracted nightmare when abroad. I am sure Mark and Jack, both being seasoned French travellers would be able to list a few things. We should maybe open a thread with them by way of information for anyone travelling.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #30

I am sure Mark and Jack, both being seasoned French travellers would be able to list a few things. We should maybe open a thread with them by way of information for anyone travelling.

Please do as I have a lot to learn when it comes to France and all that :up: :up:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #31
Posting this as there was some confusion on tethering different devices to a phone on the Three network:

If you're on The One Plan you can use the internet when you're out and about with other devices including laptops, tablets and games consoles, just by connecting them through Wi-Fi or USB to your phone. You can tether on all our One Plan tariffs including our one month rolling SIM plan.

Also it is against Three's T&C's that you insert a phone sim into a Mifi, you may receive a message such as: "this is not a mobile broadband SIM, please put it back into a phone"

Apparently if the device you are using the Phone Sim in does not have a Three IMEI number they don't know it's not in the phone.

What I had originally planned may not work but I am still switiching to Three.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #32
I've found 3 to be very good.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #33
My mifi started life as a EE/Orange one which I unlocked, so i could insert a 3, one plan sim and they wont know its for a mifi. at present I have a 3 PAYG data sim in it.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #34

My mifi started life as a EE/Orange one which I unlocked, so i could insert a 3, one plan sim and they wont know its for a mifi. at present I have a 3 PAYG data sim in it.

Seems that way but I would like to see it done. My MiFi was never branded by Three so it should be ok too, but again I think the jury is out...

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #35
Do you have a one plan sim? Do you want to try it in my mifi.

(this could be taken as being very suggestive by those who havent a clue what we are talking about! :whistle: :P )

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2014  ·  #36

Do you have a one plan sim? Do you want to try it in my mifi.

(this could be taken as being very suggestive by those who havent a clue what we are talking about! :whistle: :P )

:lol:

Not yet ordering it today.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2014  ·  #37
The One Plan on Three.

So I can get All you Can Eat data and I can tether, but the All you Can Eat Data does not cover Tethering.

Have I missed something ? :-/ o.O

> All-you-can-eat data - Explained

All you can eat data allows you to use as much as the Internet or consumer as much data as you wish without worrying about the cost or having to search for hidden and unfair “fair use policies”.

If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans.

Are you an existing customer on any of our pay monthly plans (except our Essential Internet 200 plan)? You can get All You Can Eat Data for the remainder of your contract at an additional cost of £3 per month.

Does all you can eat data come with any limits? The limit is how much your device can consume – if you were to actively use data or the Internet on your phone every second, of every day, in every month (and we would be worried if you were !!!!) you would, subject to the current traffic management requirements (which vary from time to time), use up to 1000GB per month. So in essence there is a limit of how much data you can actually consume which is up to 1000GB. All this means that you can have absolute peace of mind and enjoy all the internet you need on your smartphone, without worrying.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2014  ·  #38
How would they know? I know that with some networks the likes of the iPhones have to have tethering enabled by them, but surely if it's already enabled on the phone how could they tell

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2014  ·  #39

How would they know? I know that with some networks the likes of the iPhones have to have tethering enabled by them, but surely if it's already enabled on the phone how could they tell

Hmm yeah it's a strange one, they seem to be covering themselves. Saying you have up to 1000GB per month but only on the phone, but at the same time saying you can tether. I think it wouldn't be that hard to tell if you were tethering, every device that access's the internet has a MAC address.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2014  ·  #40
But will they watch it that closely? I suppose they could it you buy the phone off them. I would have thought that the item logging onto the internet phone/router has the MAC address but the other devices connecting through it only register on the phone/router as they have not made the physical connection.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.