Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Driving Fines in Europe

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #1
DRIVERS in most European states will see fines for key driving offences committed abroad sent to their home country from today.

France is part of 24 countries taking part in the initiative which will see the details of drivers shared between governments.

Only the UK, Ireland and Denmark have refused to sign the cross-border treaty, which could see an extra €100million being collected by the French government, as 25% of motoring offences here are committed by foreign drivers.

The European directive covers eight offences: Drink driving, driving under the influence of drugs, speeding, running a red light, not wearing a seatbelt, motorcyclists not wearing a crash helmet, driving on the hard shoulder and using a mobile phone while driving.

Foreigners who are caught in the act of breaking the law, by a police unit on the road, may have to pay the fine on the spot or face having their vehicle impounded.

Those flashed by a speed camera will receive a fine in the post.

Police have access to the car ownership register in participating EU countries and will send penalty notices directly to offenders’ homes, written in their own language.

Foreign offenders will be fined the penalty payable in the country of the offence, but fines vary across Europe, with Germany levying €10 for a minor speed offence while France fines offenders €68 (or €45 if paid promptly).

The disparity grows even more for serious speeding offences where a driver doing 100kph in a 50kph zone will be fined €120 in Germany and lose three points from their licence but face a €135 fine in France, four points off the licence, a three-year ban and possible seizure of the vehicle.

Due to the difference in penalty systems, no points will be taken off the licences of foreign drivers.

If the penalty is not paid, the foreign police force will send repeat notices with increased fines but there is no formal procedure to force payment at the moment.

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

Re: Driving Fines in Europe

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #2
I wonder what is the basis for UK, Ireland and Denmark refusing to sign up to the agreement.

I am not sure that I like the idea that we are all being photographed and identified with number plate recognition etc and that the governments who participate in this programme are sharing private information such as names, addresses, dates of birth, vehicle ownership, etc etc with people in other countries and once shared that information cannot be taken back.

On the other hand there is definitely a minority of drivers who play fast and loose with the law when they are driving in a jurisdiction outside their own precisely because up to now they know there is little or no penalty for doing so. :(

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #3
I wonder is this the same situation for other driving "offences"?

We got nabbed in a hire car in Italy last year. We were photographed while driving through a "restricted zone" in a residential area in Mestre. We didn't realise it at the time as we were following behind other cars and busses that must've had tags or were authorised to enter this non gated non barrier'ed area. We still don't know why it was restricted? We don't recall driving through anything resembling a historic area or military zone. It was simply a regular residential area that we got lost in trying to find our way back to the main road! Feckers were looking for €160 for our detour...

We haven't paid the fine, despite of a couple of registered letters from the Mestre municipal authorities.

The first letter arrived almost a full year later so after researching this on the internet, I found that there is apparently a 300 day statute of limitation on issuing these restriction zone fines and so they exceeded that period. I thought it was cut & dry at that point, but they continue to send letters despite my contacting them (by registered letter) and stating my case.

It's turned us off returning to Italy again. Not a good aftertaste for tourists who genuinely make a mistake and unwittingly wind up in the wrong part of town.

We wont be spending our money in Italy any more as a result of this harsh treatment.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #4
We have had two fines for speeding from Spain (one each!) and we have paid them. They were sent via car hire company but because we are always heading off to Spain I thought it prudent to pay rather than risk veing arrested at the airport upon entry :lol: The Spanish sytem starts with everyone having points on your licence and for each offence you get points taken off until you reach zero and have to retest.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #5
So if i have 12 penalty points on my licence, i go to Spain , convert my licence to a Spanish one which is clean because i have lots of points , then come home with my clean lic. convert it to an Irish one ,hey presto clean lic. again I love the EU :love: :love: O-)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #6
I was thinking the same Dave :lol:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #7
jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #8
WOW what an opportunity lets all go and do it!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2013  ·  #9
I know of one gentleman who got around a drink driving ban by getting a licence from the iom

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2013  ·  #10
Got a E45 parking fine in Sables d"Olonne, thought about not paying, but I like that area and I wouldn"t want it coming back "at me" in 2/3 years time so I paid it. Maybe I was daft to do so but, you never know.....

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2013  ·  #11
Paul I'm glad you are a law abiding citizen. I think I would have risked it. Lol

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2013  ·  #12
That"s me Jack, look after the little stuff and you may get away with the bigger stuff... ! :D

bmurphy9
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2013  ·  #13
Beware of speeding fine scams in Euro countries also.. Scammers can find your details through hire companies and send you a fake fine.
I got a fine for over 400 euro from spain - 172kmph in an 80 zone.. I remember doing it though - was late heading back to airport and had to drive hire car like it was a hire car .. i never paid it and have been back to spain several times..

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.