Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Has anyone been to -

· 
Posted: 28.10.2013  ·  #1
Looks like our kind of campsite but I don't see a review on MHcraic yet...

www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com

53.523855,-10.134937

If you've been there, would you recommend it?

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Has anyone been to -

· 
Posted: 28.10.2013  ·  #2
Looks like a fantastic place ,I'm definitely putting it on my list for next year. :reel: If you're in the area drive the 'Sky Road' out of Clifden. It can be narrow in spots but the views are absolutly brilliant. A few years ago there was a great Indian restaurant in the centre of Clifden near the Supervalue shop, unfortunately I can't remember the name. I had a tandoori mackerel for starters, incredible flavours. Hope it's still in business.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2013  ·  #3
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2013  ·  #4
I stayed there about 2 yrs ago and did not think much of it , it was only a field with a very rough track into it ,2 toilets, no shower ,1 place to get water but they were working on it so hopefully it is much better now . The carpark at Omey Island is only 2 mins away and free . The pictures are real its a beautiful area , sorry my info is so old

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2013  ·  #5
Being a Donegal man i think I'll opt for the car park at Omey island.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2013  ·  #6
heard the carpark is better too,

not been and not planning on going following a friends info

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2013  ·  #7
Just had a look at Omey on Google, it looks interesting. Has anyone ever driven a camper across those sands ? Anybody know what the currents and fishing are like around the island ?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2013  ·  #8
You can drive over to the Island no problem but you will get sand and salt water all over your underside , walk over its better for the van and you :D

pol
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2013  ·  #9
hi we walked and cycled over to Omey several times when we while we were staying in our campervan on Actons site a local told us that only one man living on the island who is from Omey and the houses you can see are rented or owned as holiday homes.
He said it is not wise driving over when the tide is out as it can remain very soft and will not do much good for any vehicle and rescue services are only for the millionaire a good point he made was that the people who are driving over are likely hired vehicles and drivers are not worried about salt water damage.
stunning area. :-)

Ruairi og
Craic'er
My Motorhome: converted transit high roof
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2015  ·  #10
I have stayed here twice over the summer. It now has 2 showers(2 euro for 6 minutes),4 toilets. All very clean. We found the owners very helpful and once checked in we were left to ourselves. Water on site is amazing.
I took the van over to omey,no issues on sand.washed under carriage after. We'll be back to camp at both the campsite and island.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2015  ·  #11
Quote by Ruairi og

I have stayed here twice over the summer. It now has 2 showers(2 euro for 6 minutes),4 toilets. All very clean. We found the owners very helpful and once checked in we were left to ourselves. Water on site is amazing.
I took the van over to omey,no issues on sand.washed under carriage after. We'll be back to camp at both the campsite and island.

Can you leave a review HERE please:)

Ruairi og
Craic'er
My Motorhome: converted transit high roof
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2015  ·  #12
Done.

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2015  ·  #13
We stayed last year.NEVER AGAIN.

I could just not fathom the owners attitude.fair enough just rock up with your van and listen to just how lucky you are that they have allowed you to camp there.but the way they talked to other people within our earshot.

omey island is 100 times better

Below is a review that my wife left on tripadvisor about the campsite
>_< >_< >_< >_< >_<
Rules, rules and bad manners”

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I spent one night in our camper van at this campsite in July 2014. We were checked in by the owner. She proceeded to show us around. As the name suggests they promote environmentally friendly ways of doing things. I have no problem with this in general. I can only say that by the end of the tour she had managed to put us all off her and the site. She did her best to take the fun our of camping with the list of rules for the site.

I was shocked by one incident. The campsite has its own beach. The beach is fab. Lovely water and the sand is very clean. We were down near the beach when she called to a middle aged couple who were just walking along the grass before you walk onto the sand. She asked them were they staying in the campsite to which they said 'No'. We figured that they had been walking along the beach and had innocently come up onto the grassy area. She informed them that they were on private property and asked them to leave. They were foreign tourists. They may have been on private property but we felt there was no need to speak to them in the way she did. So much for the friendly Irish.

After this incident we were glad we only paid for one night. The beach was definitely the best thing about this campsite. One of the rules was that you had to be gone by midday on the day of leaving. We had never come across this before on a campsite.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family2 of 5 stars Value
3 of 5 stars Cleanliness
3 of 5 stars Service

Was this review helpful? Yes

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Show…land.html#

trev
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2015  ·  #14
pulled the caravan up to this site a few years back.
arrived kinda late. We were met by 3 teenagers drinking cans in a portacabin and told to find a spot and someone would get the money of us in the morning.
we asked about electricity and were told to look along the fence and there should be a free socket somewhere.
we asked was there a shop or bar locally and one young lad offered to sell me some of his cans.
we drove around the site found a spot but there was no electricity points left.
Noelle went use the toilets and they were so dirty that she couldn't.

we turned and drove back out the gate again

never again

drove from there to http://www.camping-ireland.ie/…mping-park
this is one of the most special sites in the country in my opinion, just fabulous

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2015  ·  #15
Stayed here summer 2015 . It is basically a field have toilets & showers but showers cost extra and on a very short timer. Long hair could be a problem 2nd token.
You cannot dispose of your chemical toilet unless you use eco friendly chemical. If you use the blue you will be advised to use public toilet in Clifden.
They are doing their best to get established and have made improvements over the years nice location on the beach .

delicagirl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.01.2016  ·  #16
i arrived here late this summer to top up with water and thought it so lovely that I stayed several nights. The location is stunning and the owners clearly have worked very hard indeed since some of the earlier reviews on here. This coastal site is huge and is both beautiful and very well maintained and they have dug out and grassed over several hollowed areas for wind-free tent pitches.. Pitches for vans are well spaced out and there is no sense of being close to another van. The kitchen is immaculately clean at all times, and is full of useful information about the area, books to borrow/swop, food left by other campers to help yourself to, free tea and coffee, classical music playing in the background. The toilets and showers are also immaculate and i had a good long hot shower. The owners will also charge up phones/toothbrushes/cameras for free if you are not on hook up.

Clearly lessons have been learnt and management go out of their way to be helpful. I would return any time

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.