JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Spain via Cherbourg

· 
Posted: 15.10.2013  ·  #1
We are thinking of taking Celtic Link when we go to Spain in November.
Does anyone have recommendations of stopovers at that time of year?
We'll be heading towards Bilbao/Santander initially.
Thanks.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Spain via Cherbourg

· 
Posted: 15.10.2013  ·  #2
jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2013  ·  #3
It's a long drive through France. Have you thought of going the Portsmouth route to Soain?

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2013  ·  #4
Some of the Acsi sites are open all year and some seem to close around the 11th Nov.If you are going before the 11th you could start with the camping St Michel aux pommiers then head down as far as Bordeaux to campsite Le Canadienne then on to Biarritz or Bayonne area Camping Iibaritz is also open till the 11th,then on to Espania.Or you could take the ld lines ferry out of St Nazaire to Gijon it would cost about 170 /200 and would land you a little bit further into Spain than Santander and would save a drive of about 1000km.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Spain via France

· 
Posted: 18.10.2013  ·  #5
Yes as Jack says its a looooooooooooooong drive. We did it last year From Roscoff right down the Atlantic coast, (loads of nice Aires, some crap ones) through Bordeaux, & Biarritz (which has the smallest most packed beach I have ever seen, sardines have more room!!) and on into Spain. Although we only stayed briefly as our main plan was to drive the full length of the Pyrennees which was beautiful & scary at the same time!
We would love to motorhome in Spain but not for a few years as we are planning our main holiday next year to tour the south & west coasts of Ireland.

God luck anyway, the weather is nearly always good in Spain I suppose, it depends how long youve got to tour. We were lucky as we had a full month to do it last year.
John & Emily
:up:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2013  ·  #6
I know the weather is good as I'm off there tomorrow for a week :P :P At the moment its around 27deg 8-) 8-) 8-)

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2013  ·  #7
At that time of year i would speed through France and get to Spain quickly. The aire at San Sebastian is good, with lots of bars and restaurants nearby serving fantastic Basque equivalents of tapas.
If you are heading towards the south east of Spain there's a great place for overnighting in the wine town of Carinena south of Zaragoza. One of the restaurants lets motorhomes park free overnight, but a better stop is the wine bodega where you can stock up on really good quality wine for 1.30 per litre and stay overnight with free WiFi in the bar/restaurant. There are usually a few lorries parked overnight but we haven't found that a problem.
Sorry that I don't have the GPS at the moment because we are on a flying visit home and have left the van and all info in Spain.

denboye
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 bhp
Subject:

Spain via Cherbourg

· 
Posted: 21.10.2013  ·  #8
Done the Cherbourg to Spain early March this year. Not knowing what gear you have I will assume you will have the Aires Book France/ACIS or other Camp Site Book plus a Sat Nav.You will arrive France late PM and may not want to drive that far,(the conditions kick in) I suggest you head for "St Brice en Cogles" this is round about 120 miles,the road like most of France is very good so roughly 2 and a bit hrs, (see Aires Book)Have stopped here a few times, feels secure with Gendarmerie Station beside you.On the outskirts is a Super U with fuel available. With regard to the rest of your journey take your time, I took 5 nights, you could do it quicker in fact you could take longer, whatever, home is where you park it.Enjoy your trip and take care. :up: :up:

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2013  ·  #9
LD Lines are starting a Poole to Santandar service, Aferry say the can get tickets for £399 return if this is any good to you

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2013  ·  #10
When you take the cost of crossing to England at around £350 return plus the ferry cost to Spain at £399 thats a lot of cost, compared to going direct or landbridge and driving down.

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2013  ·  #11
Thanks for the good info.

BTW Celtic Link is 205 euro oneway, before our discount.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Cherbourg to Spain

· 
Posted: 27.10.2013  ·  #12
Hi Jon Mac.,This is my Benidorm run.,Cherbourg to St Lo ,A84 to Rennes, Stop at Nozay Council Aire,Supermarket nearby(credit card admission 5euros),Then Nantes Cholet Parthenay Poitiers. Join A10 to Bordeaux and then left to Langon on a62/d1113,(nother Aire here).Next day Pau,Somport Tunnel (Carfranc International railway Complex worth a look now Disused to france but spanish still operating) Zaragossa stopping at Carinena on A23.Northside turn off has card operated fuel station cheapest on trip and a large unfinished trading estate ,roads only no buildings, beside it.Next day Benidorm. About 300 odd mile a day almost all except Langon to Somport is dual carridgeway and no charges.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.